C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

NEVER TELL ME YOU CAN'T....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
That is an Amazing job!! Way to go. By the way if you don't mind me asking..how much for the engine and tranny?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Wow, us 202'er's have been trumped. Very impressed.

You should be rocking mid 11's no problem with that setup.
Maybe high 10's ...... W202 is much lighter than W211. he might need a very good set of rims and tires to handle that car
Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The First W202 C55k

Very nice write up and pictures, well done man Very well done Thanks for sharing, this is a very cool project
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
yeah, I understand. The car is way beyond what I can do with my current job/priorities and it will be very cool when complete.

I just sort of cringed when I read it- I spend a lot of time on bimmerforums browsing the FI forum just sort of for my own education and interest. We all need to keep some perspective even when it comes to builds like this one vs. what they are up to.

I actually have a tech question that some people here can likely help with (so, sorry for quick threadjack... but it's almost on topic)-

I have found that my supercharger bypass functions in a manner which negatively affects driveability. It is just the "stock" eaton bypass that functions off of manifold pressure. It does open and shut smoothly as the vacuum turns to boost, but it's function is a bit choppy. I have replaced the unit and still have same results. I have also tried a few different ways of giving it vacuum. Also, because of the simple (maybe ghetto) way I tune my car with just MAF scaling and adjustable fuel pressure the choppyness really makes it hard to get the tune just right. I have driven the car some without that bypass and it alleviates those problems, launches harder AND is easier to control off the line/alleviates driveability issues.

What would be a better setup? With my low boost how damaging can it be to run it with no bypass? I see what you are planning with this car, but my application is quite different. I spent some time researching on other forums, but most other applications utilize a throttle body downstream of the supercharger.

thanks for any help there...

again, looking forward to solid numbers on how this car performs! That, and I'd love to get all the info on how to do the LSD.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by silence
yeah, I understand. The car is way beyond what I can do with my current job/priorities and it will be very cool when complete.

I just sort of cringed when I read it- I spend a lot of time on bimmerforums browsing the FI forum just sort of for my own education and interest. We all need to keep some perspective even when it comes to builds like this one vs. what they are up to.

I actually have a tech question that some people here can likely help with (so, sorry for quick threadjack... but it's almost on topic)-

I have found that my supercharger bypass functions in a manner which negatively affects driveability. It is just the "stock" eaton bypass that functions off of manifold pressure. It does open and shut smoothly as the vacuum turns to boost, but it's function is a bit choppy. I have replaced the unit and still have same results. I have also tried a few different ways of giving it vacuum. Also, because of the simple (maybe ghetto) way I tune my car with just MAF scaling and adjustable fuel pressure the choppyness really makes it hard to get the tune just right. I have driven the car some without that bypass and it alleviates those problems, launches harder AND is easier to control off the line/alleviates driveability issues.

What would be a better setup? With my low boost how damaging can it be to run it with no bypass? I see what you are planning with this car, but my application is quite different. I spent some time researching on other forums, but most other applications utilize a throttle body downstream of the supercharger.

thanks for any help there...

again, looking forward to solid numbers on how this car performs! That, and I'd love to get all the info on how to do the LSD.
Is your blower a roots style?

Is your car always boosting? Even when the TB is closed?

If your answer is yes to these questions. Than once the you let off the gas and the car goes to vacuum all that compressed air gets rammed back into the blower from the wrong side and can shock the rotors. Thus casing stress and could toast the bearings. At least thats my theory

Here is a pic of my blown supercharger That I feel is from no bypass valves. My rule of thumb is.. If the blower is on it always needs something to eat"

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C43/2jz, Ml63, C32
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Your stock ECU will run the car, so you can tune on it. Only down side is only the 55k cars know how to control the SC clutch. A simple 12V wire will engage it all the time. It makes for gobbs of TQ and power off the line.
Just for informational purpose the ME grounds the S/c clutch and is provided a 15 circuit power supply through a Z-splice in the kompressor engine harness. So all i need to do is ground it permanently and let the ignition switch power it up.

Silence..I wouldn't suggest driving with no bypass operation. That is horrible stress on the supercharger as shown by Hooley. My firend was very insistent on running one on my setup. Just throwing this out there but have you tried different diameter vaccum lines to ease in the transition between vac. and pressu.
Here is the link on the LSD
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...43-almost.html
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55
Mods- can this thread be made a "sticky"? It really deserves it.
What a project!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
You've taken it to the next level. I'm looking forward to following your progress as you get the setup tuned in. Awesome job.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM

1998 C43
very sexy! I hope you are planning on a more detailed install thread. Awesome job! I need to work on getting my hands on a supercharged 55 motor, and do my own install at work!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I'm simply amazed by some of the things people accomplish on this forum! Congrats!
Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by wawy
I'm simply amazed by some of the things people accomplish on this forum! Congrats!
I've never seen a car forum that talks about so many projects that get done.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
wow! incredibly cool. not sure why you chose to present it in such a cocky manner though.

great post, not cocky at all, and a cool project.

i'll have to keep an eye out for an insane w202 so you don't embarrass me in my 2-ton S55

Last edited by i_am_amused; 07-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I have to agree with silence (possibly the first time in my life ), it was presented in a very cocky manner. Furthermore, no one ever said it COULDN'T be done, ANYTHING is possible with enough money. It becomes an issue of is the conversion cost effective. Some would argue yes, others would argue no and would rather just buy a newer AMG with nicer amenities and more up to date technology for the extra $10k+ in cost (or more when you count labor time).

With that said, the W202 chassis does not have enough room for really wide tires so traction may pose to be a serious problem, especially since its nose heavy now.

Either way, sure looks like a fun project, should be interesting to see how the car does at the drag strip. Be sure to take some high quality videos!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
really amazing man, 10k is really cheap for what he has done so I think he was made out great and didn't really need to buy a new amg it would cost me about 10k just to Supercharge my car so he got the engine pretty much for free.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
I have to agree with silence (possibly the first time in my life ), it was presented in a very cocky manner. Furthermore, no one ever said it COULDN'T be done, ANYTHING is possible with enough money.
With that said, the W202 chassis does not have enough room for really wide tires so traction may pose to be a serious problem, especially since its nose heavy now.
Hardly "Nose heavy" What's a blower weigh? 65-80 lbs max? + another 100 odd lbs for extra cubes? big deal, he's gonna have more problems keeping that "Nose" Down w/all extra HP/TQ Plus a 245-255 rear tire w/17" wheels is all you really need to get down Sidewall IE Aspect Ratio is where it's at...

No it wasn't "Cocky" you guys are *******, it's perfect

Last edited by Thericker; 07-03-2009 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brad_c43 (11-01-2020)
Old 07-03-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by money-one
Thank you all for the comments!

The title is written up like that because of the people that were made aware of what i was going to do said "You can't do that. It's impossile. It wont fit. Your wasting your time. Is it going to run?"

Silence...This was not meant to come off as a cocky write up. Just a story line from start to this point in time. I was not even sure the engine would fit let alone fire up under its own stock ecu. I didn't want to start a thread as soon as I got the engine and down the road it not even work and have such an epic failure on my hands. Imagine this as a thread that started in april but condensed down to one.

Whip,Hooley.....As for tuning the car is currently runnig of the stock ECU. I just wanted to see if it woould fire up with no ecu mapping. I will be ordering an AEM FIC-8 to run along side of the stock ECU. As it stands I only have 4 current codes(egr solenoid..not hooked up, air switch over...not hooked up, T/b...???, and a stored T/b...???)

Whipplem104... That is a Vortech max flow bypass valve

Hooleyboy...The bypass is recirculating back into the lower part of the S/c inlet. I wish I would of contacted you before I drilled a gaping hole on my charge pipe then it would look as cool as yours with the tandeum setup. You and a few others on this forum gave me this idea and with yours running I said why not mine. I have pics of your write up saved to my laptop for reference and will look close to yours when completed.

C36ickness...I am still running the stock C43 trans but will be exchanged for 55k trans later when the car runs correctly. I just want one headache at a time

AMS...coming in under 10k. Keep in mind all modifications were done by me, so labor is free.
Awesome. It proves persistence and hard work pays again. This mod is at whole other level on it's own, nothing but respect and admiration. Alright enough pumping egos..lol.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Thericker
Hardly "Nose heavy" What's a blower weigh? 65-80 lbs max? + another 100 odd lbs for extra cubes? big deal, he's gonna have more problems keeping that "Nose" Down w/all extra HP/TQ Plus a 245-255 rear tire w/17" wheels is all you really need to get down Sidewall IE Aspect Ratio is where it's at...

No it wasn't "Cocky" you guys are *******, it's perfect
werd....ams performance is the only 1 talking tripe...

Great project and writeup by the op

-Rob

Last edited by transferred; 07-03-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by transferred
werd....ams performance is the only 1 talking tripe...

Great project and writeup by the op

-Rob
Sorry Off Topic:

Yo bro! I found a place local to me Camarillo, that is very familiar w/our cars & has a GREAT Dyno, I have a 6pm appt on this coming Thurs $100 3 pulls + A/F ratios, then any subsequent Dyno's are only $75 the next time you use their facility. Would you like to meet-up? I'm going w/few friends w/Fast modded imports
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I have a friend who fit 275/19 on the back of his 202 so u shouldnt have problems there, especially with 17s

Last edited by PJmak; 07-03-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
wow! incredibly cool. not sure why you chose to present it in such a cocky manner though.
jeez your tone has a tinge of haterism in it!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
I have to agree with silence (possibly the first time in my life ), it was presented in a very cocky manner. Furthermore, no one ever said it COULDN'T be done, ANYTHING is possible with enough money
Hater #2
Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by money-one
Just for informational purpose the ME grounds the S/c clutch and is provided a 15 circuit power supply through a Z-splice in the kompressor engine harness. So all i need to do is ground it permanently and let the ignition switch power it up.

Silence..I wouldn't suggest driving with no bypass operation. That is horrible stress on the supercharger as shown by Hooley. My firend was very insistent on running one on my setup. Just throwing this out there but have you tried different diameter vaccum lines to ease in the transition between vac. and pressu.
Here is the link on the LSD
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...43-almost.html
Dude I'm salivating! I need to take a trip down there to Md. Did you guys completely sort out the SL with the 5.5L motor as well.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM

C43/2jz, Ml63, C32
Yes we have. Once we reset the adaptation values the car switched personalties and feels comprable to a SL550. It's amazing what these cars are capable of adapting to. It seems as though if your going up in displacement the car can run it (v8 for v8).
Parts are slowly coming. The tunning will start when my piggyback comes in. I'll post when something gets done.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

C43/2jz, Ml63, C32
Originally Posted by PJmak
I have a friend who fit 275/19 on the back of his 202 so u shouldnt have problems there, especially with 17s
The car is on 18's right now but when I'm at the track I run on 17x8.5 with Nitto NT 555R. They do well and not to expensive.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
jeez your tone has a tinge of haterism in it!

well, sure!

It's clear I don't have the means to do this and I did mention that I found it to be a bit overblown as it was presented.

I agree that's a recipe for being a hater.

I still think I made a valid point and one that was taken by the op.

I KNOW i've made some similar posts myself in the past- but I'm trying to grow up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NEVER TELL ME YOU CAN'T....