AMG emblem molding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
AMG emblem molding

This started as a little experimentation and has turned into a project. The AMG emblem on my front bumper was about to fall off so I pried it off so I could apply adhesive to it later and reapply. I then thought about casting my own in aluminum and bronze as I have free access to the facilities to do this type of work. I then started to ponder ways of making a mold off of the original emblem, I did not have access to the expensive two part silicone's I use at work so I tried using silicone caulking. Although its not like vacuum chambered cured silicone it worked very well. I poured a few resin mixes into the mold with very good results. I will be touching up the resin patterns and making a pattern board for some sand casting this weekend. Wondering if anyone has any interest in solid metal emblems, bronze or aluminum. I will also be molding up the AMG emblem on my plastic engine cover. Noticed that it was all cracked to hell and starting to separate from the cover. Possibly thinking of offering a kit to replace the original with a nice metal alternative for those of you who's emblem suffered a similar fate.

Last edited by appatula; 12-31-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG
Very cool, Let us know how the engine emblem looks like after completion!...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Quite nice. Forgive my ignorace, but can the product be CF wrapped rather than painted? Black CF emblems on a black car would be stealth. On a silver car they would less stealth, but still nice. Black and silver are 90% of the MB market. It'll look good on other colors too.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Quite nice. Forgive my ignorace, but can the product be CF wrapped rather than painted? Black CF emblems on a black car would be stealth. On a silver car they would less stealth, but still nice. Black and silver are 90% of the MB market. It'll look good on other colors too.
Marcus,
no worries, very good question! Using a vacuum bagging technique carbon fiber fabric could easily be layed up. The only issue with this would be the small size of the emblem. The fabric would have a hard time making its way into the small crevices, although I may still try this! The side fender mold you see above is only about 2.5 inches long by .25 inch high so its a very small piece. The emblem on the engine would be a much better bet in carbon fiber (vacuum bagging). I will keep you posted on progress, the engine bay emblem has been epoxied back together and I have encompassed it in silicone .

I have some experince with CF doing wet layups with decent results. Did some interior pieces on my 300E and some pieces for a friends Jetta.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Engine Bay Emblem Progress:

Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 AM

1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
Hats off to that CF insert in the W124 if u ever go abt making the AMG inserts CF i'm in.

Also i need both the front lip AMG emb and the engine, in Alum so keep me posted plz.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Jay ,
I should have something in either bronze or aluminum this weekend depending on what is pouring. I'll keep you posed though . Glad to see a little interest in this!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Finished the mothermold for the engine emblem. The resin model came out supurb! A little bit of finishing and I'll have a pattern board for the engine emblems in no time. Should have castings this weekend .

Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by jayrasheed
Hats off to that CF insert in the W124 if u ever go abt making the AMG inserts CF i'm in.

Also i need both the front lip AMG emb and the engine, in Alum so keep me posted plz.
Also, I plan on making 2 piece molds of the interior pieces so I can cast pure CF trim, rather than just wrapping the CF around the wood trim. The only issue that I will have to resolve is finding a way to either replicate the plastic locking tabs or just remove then from the original trim and epoxy them into the CF trim.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Wooowww this is a nice reconstruction fot this little emblems! in my car the bumper emblem has many ships by little rocks! Dont forgot to open a thread in the W210 AMG forum, cause our cars has the same emblem in the bumpers!

Maybe we can made a deal!! You can send me one emblem to my car bumper, and i can send you my mother-in-law to ur house!!

Damn! pretty good deal! What do you think === ?

Fabio Daniel
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

1998 C43 AMG, 95 Acura GSR , 97 Civic Hatch
Originally Posted by appatula
Marcus,
no worries, very good question! Using a vacuum bagging technique carbon fiber fabric could easily be layed up. The only issue with this would be the small size of the emblem. The fabric would have a hard time making its way into the small crevices, although I may still try this! The side fender mold you see above is only about 2.5 inches long by .25 inch high so its a very small piece. The emblem on the engine would be a much better bet in carbon fiber (vacuum bagging). I will keep you posted on progress, the engine bay emblem has been epoxied back together and I have encompassed it in silicone .

I have some experince with CF doing wet layups with decent results. Did some interior pieces on my 300E and some pieces for a friends Jetta.

This is DOPE! great job! I have made similiar pieces with less positive results. Good job, keep us posted!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Wooowww this is a nice reconstruction fot this little emblems! in my car the bumper emblem has many ships by little rocks! Dont forgot to open a thread in the W210 AMG forum, cause our cars has the same emblem in the bumpers!

Maybe we can made a deal!! You can send me one emblem to my car bumper, and i can send you my mother-in-law to ur house!!

Damn! pretty good deal! What do you think === ?

Fabio Daniel
Fabio, that made me laugh! Unfortunatley I'm taken at the moment . Thank you for the kind words and advice, I will post over in the W210 forums as well. I'm sure we can work out a deal anyhow, I'll let you know when I get some castings and we will go from there.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by tonysemi
This is DOPE! great job! I have made similiar pieces with less positive results. Good job, keep us posted!

Tony, love the sig and sig pic . Thanks a lot for the kind words, if you would like some advice shoot me a PM. Those results are with budget materials other than the carbon fiber cloth. I used that cheap fiberglass resin avaliable at home depot. I hope to make molds so I can produce a few for forum members without spending 8 hours on each piece.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 AM

1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
Im still waiting
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by jayrasheed
Im still waiting
Don't worry I'm making progress! The weather here has been awful, below zero with the wind chill...and I can't cast inside. Weather needs to permit in order for me to be able to pour safely. If one drop of moisture decides to fall into the cruicible of molten metal it will explode and spatter the metal everywhere. As soon as the weather calms a bit I will post pictures of my progress on the pattern board.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

1992 300E, 1995 C36 AMG, 1969 VW Bug
Looks good man, can't wait to see where you go with it.
I'll probably grab one from you when you're done.

On the CF front, do you think you could make CF replacements for all of the black plastic engine cover parts? Valve cover, distributor cover etc.

Basically all of the black plastic on the the engine itself.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Let us know in the W210 amg forum when you finished out bro!

Congrats greate job!

Fabio Daniel
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Smile

Tony, love the sig and sig pic . Thanks a lot for the kind words, if you would like some advice shoot me a PM. Those results are with budget materials other than the carbon fiber cloth. I used that cheap fiberglass resin avaliable at home depot. I hope to make molds so I can produce a few for forum members without spending 8 hours on each piece.
Thanks for the help!
Any custom carbon pieces or ideas, please share, I love the look ...and Im into the one off pieces. And if I cant make it, i will buy if you do make more Thanks again
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

And thanks for the pix comment
Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Few pictures of the patternboard mock up and the flask in which it will be being poured. Slowly but steady guys!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by PaulRicciardi
Looks good man, can't wait to see where you go with it.
I'll probably grab one from you when you're done.

On the CF front, do you think you could make CF replacements for all of the black plastic engine cover parts? Valve cover, distributor cover etc.

Basically all of the black plastic on the the engine itself.
Paul I would love to dress the whole engine in CF. That will be on my list for sure (after winter and snow ) A couple things I will need to look into is laminating with a resin that will withstand engine bay temperatures to insure a quality product. Want to make sure if I do make a few to sell they will retain thier structural and asthetic properties. One other issue is sourcing a alternative to a flexible ABS plastic, one that I can cast. This plastic also plays into the interior CF pieces. I will need to make molds of the locking tabs so I can cast the tabs seperately and epoxy them onto the completed CF pieces. This will allow you to remove and replace the part without the worry of the tabs cracking or deforming, the urethane casting resin I am looking into has properties that I think will be perfect for this. Another method would be to simply just laminate over the plastic pieces, thus no weight reduction.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Let us know in the W210 amg forum when you finished out bro!

Congrats greate job!

Fabio Daniel
You betcha.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by tonysemi
Thanks for the help!
Any custom carbon pieces or ideas, please share, I love the look ...and Im into the one off pieces. And if I cant make it, i will buy if you do make more Thanks again
Not a problem, I have tommorow off so maybe I will start putting something together. Laminating an existing part is childs play if you do it step by step, you won't have a problem....Or you might not I'll make sure to include all of the countless mistakes I made in the writeup.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM

1992 300E, 1995 C36 AMG, 1969 VW Bug
Paul I would love to dress the whole engine in CF. That will be on my list for sure (after winter and snow ) A couple things I will need to look into is laminating with a resin that will withstand engine bay temperatures to insure a quality product. Want to make sure if I do make a few to sell they will retain thier structural and asthetic properties. One other issue is sourcing a alternative to a flexible ABS plastic, one that I can cast. This plastic also plays into the interior CF pieces. I will need to make molds of the locking tabs so I can cast the tabs seperately and epoxy them onto the completed CF pieces. This will allow you to remove and replace the part without the worry of the tabs cracking or deforming, the urethane casting resin I am looking into has properties that I think will be perfect for this. Another method would be to simply just laminate over the plastic pieces, thus no weight reduction.
Yeah I was considering getting some of the 3M CF vinyl wrap...but that stuff would most likely just melt in the engine. I'm sure you'll figure something out for the engine bay, when you do let me know
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Pattern board is finished, pour will be tommorow.

Wish me luck!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG emblem molding