C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Reclusive Third Brake Light Bulb Help, Need to identify this weird bulb??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Reclusive Third Brake Light Bulb Help, Need to identify this weird bulb??

After extensive searching on the W202 forums even the W124 forums (as they seem to have the same early third brakelight setup) I have not found a definitive answer as to what kind of weird bulb fits into this damn housing!

At first I thought is would be a generic bulb with locking tabs that lock when you twist them in. Turns out on this particular bulb each tab is a positive and negative lead, as opposed to the bulbs where the tabs are one polarity and the little nipple on the bottom is the other opposing polarity lead. Not only is that baffling me but the bulb itself has to be installed by inserting it through the shiny reflector hole, meaning the glass part of the bulb needs to be very narrow. I have never seen a bulb like this and have not figured out any cross refrencing whatsoever when it comes to finding a generic alternative, is this a dealer only bulb? I know it is a halogen type bulb but I want to see if I can cross refrence it to a compatible sylvania or any other commong bulb manufacturer.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Where is the old bulb ? it could be 194 from the locking tab.

Andy
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Thanksfor the prompt reply! The old bulb is no where to be found unfortunatley, thats the main problem. What exactly doyou mean by 194 form the locking tab? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I mean by looking at the tab it could be 194/168 bulbs...have you tried them yet. They are everywhere.

Edit: Email this seller see if they know,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories

Hope that helps.

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 01-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36
The halogen bulb number is 64115 and an O'Rieley's kind of store is unlikely to have it. So if you want it today, it will be a dealer item. Also sounds like you are missing the bulb holder. The bulb does come out of the bulb holder (black plastic) as a normal automotive bulb would...push and turn.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by mbsickness
The halogen bulb number is 64115 and an O'Rieley's kind of store is unlikely to have it. So if you want it today, it will be a dealer item. Also sounds like you are missing the bulb holder. The bulb does come out of the bulb holder (black plastic) as a normal automotive bulb would...push and turn.
I'm even more confused now! I thought the bulb simply is placed into the reflector housing and twisted to lock and provide the tabs + & - connection. Everything that came out of the 3rd brakelight is pictured, does it look like anything is missing? If so could you give me a detailed description as I'm going about this blindly at this point. Really appreciate the insight guys, hopefully the 194/168 bulbs will do it, if not I'll head to the dealer and go from there.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Did a quick search and I'm not seeing what you guys are saying. I'm thinking that I am missing the bulb holder that the wedge base bulb plugs into. This bulb holder then plugs into the reflector housing which is then locked in by twisting. I think this is right? If so I have no clue where I am going to find a bulb holder and junkyards are awful here when it comes to mercedes. May turn into yet another project, I've got tons of high intensity red leds in my electronics bin waiting for a purpose.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by appatula
Did a quick search and I'm not seeing what you guys are saying. I'm thinking that I am missing the bulb holder that the wedge base bulb plugs into. This bulb holder then plugs into the reflector housing which is then locked in by twisting. I think this is right? If so I have no clue where I am going to find a bulb holder and junkyards are awful here when it comes to mercedes. May turn into yet another project, I've got tons of high intensity red leds in my electronics bin waiting for a purpose.
you are correct. If you cant find that from the junkyard then ebay is the only option...or maybe some of our members here have that.. who knows..

Andy
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36
Get ready to go to the dealer.

Bulb installed

Bulb and Holder Assembled

Bulb and Holder separated
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Ahh you guys are the best! Thank you so much for bearing with my ignorance! Also thank you so much for taking the time to disassemble your housing and snap some photos, I'm sure this will help many others in the future.

BTW I've made up my mind....the dealer won't be getting a visit from me anytime soon. I've got some tricks up my sleeve.....time to dust off the soldering iron . You guys are going to get a kick out of this......
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM

10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Originally Posted by mbsickness
Bulb and Holder Assembled
Does the assembly come out just by pushing and turning counterclockwise? I thought quickly taking mine apart today but it didn't budge at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by TexFinn
Does the assembly come out just by pushing and turning counterclockwise? I thought quickly taking mine apart today but it didn't budge at all.
Yep, that should do it. Counterclockwise. Try tapping down on it with a hammer, it could be just corroded a bit and sticking just a tad.