Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class
Preventive Maintenance Gave More Problem

I had my C43 and E320 in an indy shop to have the following replaced:
1. All sparkplugs
2. Valve Cover gaskets
3. air filters
4. fuel filters
5. all gaskets where oil was leaking out.
6. They also did a fuel injection clean.

Since I got both back, sometimes when I'm on a stop sign (most of the time in the morning to work and then leaving work in the afternoon), idle became really rough and acts like the engine is about to die and engine shakes. I sometimes have to put it in Park to stabilize the idle and after putting it back to Drive, it takes off like it just got a surge of power. So I brough it back to the shop and of course they claimed that they cannot duplicate and blamed how I drive. I'm really pissed because my wife is driving the E320 with the kids and it is not safe. The indy shop manager had the nerve to tell me off for getting very upset.

So with both cars having the same problem, the indy manager could not admit that it's anything they did. I really think they're using subpar parts and it could be the fuel filter possibly getting air in the fuel line and condenses when the car sits overnight or at least when it gets cold. If they can't find the problem tomorrow, I'm going to take the car to another shop that I usually take the car to in Santa Clara for second diagnostics and then I'm going to send the indy shop the bill.

Any input on what could be the problem would be appreciated. Again there were no problems with the cars other than some oil leaks through the valve cover, but I figured I would spend some money now to prevent any issues later. Instead I get back both cars having this idle problem. The E320 wagon is now at the indy shop since my wife can still haul the kids with the G500, but I'm still driving the C43 around.

Last edited by fastneutron; 06-18-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
i had the same exact problem a few years ago after i had filters "dusted off" (ie, removed, shaken out, reinstalled) at the dealership when i was there for something else. took it back, and according to them, the filters weren't inserted correctly in the airbox, and that was causing the problem. after they "fixed it", it's been no problem since. i posted this on the forum when it was happening and after it was fixed, and i've had a few skeptics respond. who knows, but that's what happened.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 AM

1996 C36 AMG, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
Possibly an air leak somewhere when they put 'em back together. I'd check to make sure the guys tightened all the air hoses around the MAF and what not.

No CEL?

2nd, the FI cleaning might've done it, frankly I'm scared of that crap. Use good gas and change the fuel filter and be done with it. If you're gonna clean injectors, remove them and get them cleaned.

rjp
Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by RANDY_P
Possibly an air leak somewhere when they put 'em back together. I'd check to make sure the guys tightened all the air hoses around the MAF and what not.

No CEL?

2nd, the FI cleaning might've done it, frankly I'm scared of that crap. Use good gas and change the fuel filter and be done with it. If you're gonna clean injectors, remove them and get them cleaned.

rjp
What kind of air filters are you using?? K&N air filters are notorious for gumming up the MAF.... could be a MAF problem
Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the input. The toughest part is there is no CEL and the car runs great in the highway or basically on RPM over idle. So only when I'm on stop. There's solution to everything and I think the shop just needs to put more time into it instead of making excuses that they're too busy.

I'll definitely check out what everyone suggested.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The last time I saw this (the exact same symptoms), it was on my CLK430. The airbox sealing ring wasn't seated properly, allowing air to seep in the MAF. Properly reseating the box corrected the problem. That was three years ago.

As an aside, when changing the air filters, the MB maintenance manual states to lubricate the sealing ring of the air cleaner MAF opening with liquid lubricant. "Naphtolen H" is specified. A light film of 303 Aerospace Protectant will do. The MB part number for Naphtolen H is "000 989 01 60", and it costs $65. The 303 Aerospace Protectant costs $12. If the rubber seal is stiff, that may be the problem and the Naphtolen H or 303 may soften it.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:07 AM

MarcusF, thanks for the input. I finally had the chance to open the hood and inspect the C43 for myself. I felt around the filter box in the MAF area and Yup, the mechanic did not put the plastic bracket that goes around the MAF correctly and outer latches were not latched to hold it in place. So the filter outlet was actually just covering half of the MAF inlet. I also found that the end of the RH valve cover hose was loose, but I think the main culprit is definitely the MAF not being installed correctly.

As easy as it is to fix it, I'm going to bring the car back to the shop to show them how I found the MAF so they can see how they screwed it up. The worse thing is I returned the car 2 weeks ago raising my concern and they just said they could not duplicate it, which means they just didn't even bother to do any second check of their work. I'm tempted to just fix it myself, but I think I should return it as is especially since the manager insulted me. The unfortunate thing is it's been like this for 2 months, but I just have not had the time to drive it around much until a couple of weeks ago. The other thing is the E320 is still at the shop because they said they didn't have time to look at it until late today. I really think it's the same thing that everyone is saying. Either they didn't install the air filter right or one of the hoses was damaged when they removed the valve cover gasket.
I think I'll just get it back to find the problem myself.

I know I'm venting, but I'm frustrated because I paid them to do a professional job and they didn't meet the other side of the contract. I try to put more value in my own time by spending it with the family so I try to limit how much work I do on my own cars now, but I think I've learned my lesson to stick with a mechanic that you know instead of randomly selecting through the yellow pages or just do it myself again.

I can't wait to go to the shop on Monday. Again thanks for everyone's input.

What do you guys think, I am in a position for them to replace the MAF since it was basically open to air without filtration or maybe even ask them to change the oil and filter again? They should just give me a 5.5 liter engine swap then I won't complain to the BBB or give a bad comment on Yelp.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fastneutron
MarcusF, thanks for the input. I finally had the chance to open the hood and inspect the C43 for myself. I felt around the filter box in the MAF area and Yup, the mechanic did not put the plastic bracket that goes around the MAF correctly and outer latches were not latched to hold it in place. So the filter outlet was actually just covering half of the MAF inlet. I also found that the end of the RH valve cover hose was loose, but I think the main culprit is definitely the MAF not being installed correctly.

As easy as it is to fix it, I'm going to bring the car back to the shop to show them how I found the MAF so they can see how they screwed it up. The worse thing is I returned the car 2 weeks ago raising my concern and they just said they could not duplicate it, which means they just didn't even bother to do any second check of their work. I'm tempted to just fix it myself, but I think I should return it as is especially since the manager insulted me. The unfortunate thing is it's been like this for 2 months, but I just have not had the time to drive it around much until a couple of weeks ago. The other thing is the E320 is still at the shop because they said they didn't have time to look at it until late today. I really think it's the same thing that everyone is saying. Either they didn't install the air filter right or one of the hoses was damaged when they removed the valve cover gasket.
I think I'll just get it back to find the problem myself.

I know I'm venting, but I'm frustrated because I paid them to do a professional job and they didn't meet the other side of the contract. I try to put more value in my own time by spending it with the family so I try to limit how much work I do on my own cars now, but I think I've learned my lesson to stick with a mechanic that you know instead of randomly selecting through the yellow pages or just do it myself again.

I can't wait to go to the shop on Monday. Again thanks for everyone's input.

What do you guys think, I am in a position for them to replace the MAF since it was basically open to air without filtration or maybe even ask them to change the oil and filter again? They should just give me a 5.5 liter engine swap then I won't complain to the BBB or give a bad comment on Yelp.
Your problem definitely sounded like a MAF issue and I take whatever MarcusF says to the BANK as he usually right. As far as the shop that worked on your car, they definitely owe you a new MAF and a new filter.

As far as the 5.5 swap, even if they offered to swap in the 5.5 you can't even trust these guys to install a MAF correctly never mind a new engine.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
One word!
INCOMPETENCE.
Warn all your friends from this shop!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM

1999 C43 AMG
the shop at least owes you to make it right. i know the stealership is spendy, but i have them do any work i don't take care of on my own. they dealer here will match any indy shop quotes i get from around town to get the work and it has a 12 month 12K warranty on any work done. the indys won't match that. anyone else get their dealer to match the indys? i love that they do this and i know it's always going to be done right or it goes back and they take care of it. so far i've had amazing results and the car runs beautifully and under warranty.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Steve155
the shop at least owes you to make it right. i know the stealership is spendy, but i have them do any work i don't take care of on my own. they dealer here will match any indy shop quotes i get from around town to get the work and it has a 12 month 12K warranty on any work done. the indys won't match that. anyone else get their dealer to match the indys? i love that they do this and i know it's always going to be done right or it goes back and they take care of it. so far i've had amazing results and the car runs beautifully and under warranty.
I agree, when using the MB dealership you do get a 12 months warranty on the stuff they do or change. Few indies can match that, apart from some goodwill work to fix something which may have gone wrong.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM

At this time, I just want to get my E320 back so I can look at myself, but I still want to show them how I found the C43 MAF and I'll definitely push for them to change the MAF and air filters. Actually, I'm just gonna ask for them to give me the MAF and I'll install it myself.

The shop was not only incompetent, but also very poor customer service skills. These guys should not be in business. It's amazing how much the shop changed since they changed management. This definitely calls for complaints through BBB and of course Yelp.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At this time, I just want to get my E320 back so I can look at myself, but I still want to show them how I found the C43 MAF and I'll definitely push for them to change the MAF and air filters. Actually, I'm just gonna ask for them to give me the MAF and I'll install it myself.

The shop was not only incompetent, but also very poor customer service skills. These guys should not be in business. It's amazing how much the shop changed since they changed management. This definitely calls for complaints through BBB and of course Yelp.
Yeah I would post a complaint as well, when it comes to me spending $$$ customer service is ALWAYS #1 for me. I will even pay a little extra just to know that I can trust the guys. The BBB should hear about these crooks as it seems they didn't even test your car after you returned it saying that they couldn't repeat the problem... From what you told us it would of been almost impossible to not be able to repeat the problem.

Feel free to post the name of this shop right here in the forum so anyone in your area will know to AVOID these thieves
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM

So I went to the shop and showed the manager how I found the MAF on the C43. Not even an apology and he said he'll talk to the owner about giving me a new MAF sensor. I fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes in their parking lot. It just confirmed that the didn't even check anything when we brought the car back the first time. On the E320 that the kept all week last week and over the weekend, when I got to the shop in the morning, it wasn't there, but it looks like the mechanic used it over the weekend. The manager showed me that part of the passenger side valve cover gasket is missing and could have been sucked in causing the huge vacuum leak and engine to shake. After the talk with the manager, the mechanic became violent with and kept stating that he doesn't like people yelling although me & the manager were working things out just fine. He was actually the one yelling and complained that I didn't say good morning to him back right away. He basically imposed his size and approached me and threatened to show how throws out customers from the shop, basically acting like a bouncer. After the whole thing I told the manager to just give my car back so now it's in another shop. I've filled out a complaint through Bureau of Automotive repair and will sue for the money I paid them for both cars and how ever much I'll end up paying the second shop.

This whole PM fiasco turned out becoming a nightmare, especially with possibly facing the psycho path mechanic again in court. I called the police to file a police report, but no show.

I could probably take the silent owner to court. The owner is not incorporated. BTW, all the employees including the manager looked like they fear the lunatic mechanic and didn't even try to stop him from getting ready to hit me.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 PM

So I went to the shop and showed the manager how I found the MAF on the C43. Not even an apology and he said he'll talk to the owner about giving me a new MAF sensor. I fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes in their parking lot. It just confirmed that the didn't even check anything when we brought the car back the first time. On the E320 that the kept all week last week and over the weekend, when I got to the shop in the morning, it wasn't there, but it looks like the mechanic used it over the weekend. The manager showed me that part of the passenger side valve cover gasket is missing and could have been sucked in causing the huge vacuum leak and engine to shake. After the talk with the manager, the mechanic became violent with and kept stating that he doesn't like people yelling although me & the manager were working things out just fine. He was actually the one yelling and complained that I didn't say good morning to him back right away.

Most of the mechanics I've encountered and worked around are prima donna blue collar ********s who think :

"I'M THE WORKING MAN WHO MAKES IT HAPPEN!! I DO ALL THE WORK!!!" - and the world rotates around them.

that's why they sit in the back and don't deal with the public- they don't know how to.

Should have let him try, then call the cops or deck him. ****ing hate dealing with mechanics and installers- did so for years. They think everything questioned is a personal attack and they never admit to their errors. they also think they have the moral high ground and can **** on everyone else including the customers for being the "working man" who "does all the work".

rjp

Last edited by RANDY_P; 06-22-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 PM

PS call the guy back up and tell him you're gonna point out his crappy work (the angry mechanic) to everyone you know, he don't know how to re-assemble a MAF properly.

Everyone will laugh and laugh....

They hate it when you do that.

rjp
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I went to the shop and showed the manager how I found the MAF on the C43. Not even an apology and he said he'll talk to the owner about giving me a new MAF sensor. I fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes in their parking lot. It just confirmed that the didn't even check anything when we brought the car back the first time. On the E320 that the kept all week last week and over the weekend, when I got to the shop in the morning, it wasn't there, but it looks like the mechanic used it over the weekend. The manager showed me that part of the passenger side valve cover gasket is missing and could have been sucked in causing the huge vacuum leak and engine to shake. After the talk with the manager, the mechanic became violent with and kept stating that he doesn't like people yelling although me & the manager were working things out just fine. He was actually the one yelling and complained that I didn't say good morning to him back right away. He basically imposed his size and approached me and threatened to show how throws out customers from the shop, basically acting like a bouncer. After the whole thing I told the manager to just give my car back so now it's in another shop. I've filled out a complaint through Bureau of Automotive repair and will sue for the money I paid them for both cars and how ever much I'll end up paying the second shop.

This whole PM fiasco turned out becoming a nightmare, especially with possibly facing the psycho path mechanic again in court. I called the police to file a police report, but no show.

I could probably take the silent owner to court. The owner is not incorporated. BTW, all the employees including the manager looked like they fear the lunatic mechanic and didn't even try to stop him from getting ready to hit me.
If you are ever in that situation again just calmly remind the guy that if he lays a finger on you you will OWN his paychecks for probably the next 2-5 years. You will usually get 1 of 2 scenarios

1.) it will make him even more angry and you will get hit which will = BIG $$$$$ when you CRUSH him in court...

2.) He will realize that he needs every penny he can get from his crappy job for his crappy lifestyle and will most likely revert to grade school name calling to which you can OBVIOUSLY CRUSH him in a battle of wits....

either way in IMO you win

I laugh at guys who try to use their physical size to intimidate people, you NEVER know who you are messing with. As far as he knows you could be a 7th degree black belt OR a pistol packing member of the NRA..... people are way too crazy these days.

I am glad to hear you are willing to take it to the next level and SUE. If you win (which you will) that guy will most likely be fired and once again.... YOU WIN!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
this is the type of personality (homicidal maniac) that brings guns to work and guns down anyone that comes in his way!
narcissistic split personality persons gets offended very easy and the tiniest problem triggers an violent act!
these people are dangerous.
if they are stoned on dope even more dangerous
Old 06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
So for the rest of us socal members, what shop was this? I'm looking for a new shop, and would be glad to avoid these guys from the sound of it.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 PM

The terrible shop's name is Euro Auto Haus and it's in Bakersfield. So most of you probably don't have to worry about it. I usually take my cars in Master Automotive in the bay area since that's where I live, but business takes to Bako.

After this fiasco, I've learned my lesson to check any business rating through BBB and would now look at a shop's records through Bureau of Automotive Repair. It's too bad most people don't bother to look until it's too late.

So now the second shop changed the bad valve cover gasket, but it didn't fix the problem with engine shaking. Apparently, the MAF is bad and 4 cylinders are not firing. I hope the engine is not screwed up. This has been a total nightmare. I just want this to end.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The terrible shop's name is Euro Auto Haus and it's in Bakersfield. So most of you probably don't have to worry about it. I usually take my cars in Master Automotive in the bay area since that's where I live, but business takes to Bako.

After this fiasco, I've learned my lesson to check any business rating through BBB and would now look at a shop's records through Bureau of Automotive Repair. It's too bad most people don't bother to look until it's too late.

So now the second shop changed the bad valve cover gasket, but it didn't fix the problem with engine shaking. Apparently, the MAF is bad and 4 cylinders are not firing. I hope the engine is not screwed up. This has been a total nightmare. I just want this to end.
I would be surprised if your engine is messed up. I had very similar problems when I got my C43 and here is what I did: Check the MAF, plugs, wires, injectors, valve cover gasket and coil packs

I had a bad MAF, a bad valve cover gasket and was in DESPERATE need of new wires and plugs. I switched coil packs around to make sure they were good and ran red line fuel injector cleaner through my system..... I thought the car was powerful when I bought it but it turned out I was running on 6 cylinders and after I replaced all of the above it was like a whole new car. I still remember the first test drive I took after I did all that work and the smile I had was ear to ear. I wish you good luck as I know the feeling very well and hope you have the same grin after your success with your car, you deserve it after all you have been through .