C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

sway bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sway bars

hey crew,

just wondering if any of you guys are running any suspension upgrades besides the basic shocks/springs. the only thing i really noticed being available for the c36 (or any w202 for that matter) besides shocks and springs was sway bars. i saw the eibach ones, not sure if any others are available.

what sway bars are you running? how do you like them? how is the ride?

what other suspension components are available for these cars? upgraded bushings? strut tower bars? tranny braces?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 PM

1998 C43
I am planning on getting upper rear strut bars for my car. I would get upper front bars, but I dont think it will do it's job sufficiently. I looked at the mounting area of my car, and there is too many wires and crap like that in the way. Dont wannt mess with all that....yet.

DLS
Old 06-18-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Denlasoul
I am planning on getting upper rear strut bars for my car. I would get upper front bars, but I dont think it will do it's job sufficiently. I looked at the mounting area of my car, and there is too many wires and crap like that in the way. Dont wannt mess with all that....yet.

DLS
what are some good strut tower bars? what brand are you planning on getting?

anyone with strut bars or sway bars that can vouch for a harsh ride, or do they keep comfort about the same?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:15 AM

1998 C43
Weichers is the way to go. I read someone got front/rear upper struts for 280 euro. It's best to go through Weichers directly.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
u have to remember there isn't a strut on the c36 anywhere...so it wouldn't do as much to help as it would say on a macpherson type suspension (i.e. w203). tower braces are meant to brace struts...hence strut brace.

stiffer chassis is better, but on the w202, there wouldn't be much use for it....u may be able to stiffen up the chassis a bit, but it's not as stressful as a strut design...
Old 06-19-2003, 12:30 AM

1998 C43
yes steve you are correct that there are no strut bars on the w202, but wouldnt a upper rear "strut" bar stiffen the rear?

maybe I shouldnt call them strut bars, but the way they are supposed to mount would be between the wheels to the frame. do you think that this bar is a waste of money, or do you think it serves some sort of purpose?

I think the upper front bar for the w202 is not really worth it, but the rear probably stablizes better than stock.

DLS
Old 06-19-2003, 04:02 AM

okay, so i guess strut tower bars wouldnt do much, ill save myself the $350. i dont even have the car yet, so i am not familiar with the suspension system. how exactly is it set up? i thought the w202 had mcphearsons, at least in the front...

anyone wanna post their experiences with the lower sway bars?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 AM
Almost a Member!

I have the rear Weichers strut brace (body brace, I guess). Made a little noticable difference. Tail end has more noticable movement when turning the steering wheel than b4. Not sure if it's an improvement.

I'm gonna run CLK55 swaybars on my c36. Yes, CLK55. Those of u familiar with the 202 knows that the 208 chasis is based on the 202 and the suspension setup should be almost identical. Stock c36 bars r 27mm front & 16mm rear. CLK55s' r 30mm front & 18mm rear. fitting the fronts this weekend. I'll have to wait on the rear as I'm trying to find steel rod links(the connection between the bar and the lower control arm) so the bar loads faster. Stock ones r plastic & my install guy says they wouldn't help me utilize the full effects of thicker bar.

Eibachs r out of the question for 202 or 208 owners. They r on back order indefinitely.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by oosix
I have the rear Weichers strut brace (body brace, I guess). Made a little noticable difference. Tail end has more noticable movement when turning the steering wheel than b4. Not sure if it's an improvement.

I'm gonna run CLK55 swaybars on my c36. Yes, CLK55. Those of u familiar with the 202 knows that the 208 chasis is based on the 202 and the suspension setup should be almost identical. Stock c36 bars r 27mm front & 16mm rear. CLK55s' r 30mm front & 18mm rear. fitting the fronts this weekend. I'll have to wait on the rear as I'm trying to find steel rod links(the connection between the bar and the lower control arm) so the bar loads faster. Stock ones r plastic & my install guy says they wouldn't help me utilize the full effects of thicker bar.

Eibachs r out of the question for 202 or 208 owners. They r on back order indefinitely.
sounds good, keep us updated!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, guess chassis brace would be more accurate ...i'm sure u can feel some difference...nothing like a full roll cage will do, but something.

Originally posted by rotorgasm
how exactly is it set up? i thought the w202 had mcphearsons, at least in the front...
no, the new c-class w203 has macpherson struts...a departure due to space efficiencies and crash worthiness... the older w202 has a double wishbone up front. the rear is a multilink unit...(or was it a 5 multilink unit? forgot)
Old 06-19-2003, 08:11 PM

1998 C43

definitely keep us posted on that. what are the sway bar diameters for the C43? Also, is that a direct swap?

DLS
Old 06-20-2003, 01:43 AM

hey, i just noticed...

if the amg clk bars are 30mm front and 18mm rear, you probably wouldnt want the eibach's anyway. i just checked it, and the eibach kit looks to be 28mm front and 18mm rear, so it would actually cause more understeer than the clk bars would, since the load wouldnt be balanced as well in the rear. how much do the clk55 sway bars run anyway? good find.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by rotorgasm
hey, i just noticed...

i just checked it, and the eibach kit looks to be 28mm front and 18mm rear, so it would actually cause more understeer than the clk bars would, since the load wouldnt be balanced as well in the rear. how much do the clk55 sway bars run anyway? good find.
Now I'm a bit confused. I think I've read somewhere that if the front bars are too thick or front end too stiff relative to the rear, then that causes understeer. If the back is overly stiff or rear bar is too thick, then that causes oversteer. If that is true, wouldn't the Eibach's theorectically be more balanced? Or did I get it the other way around?

the 30mm front will make the car corner flatter than the 28mm eibachs either way, right?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this gets a little dicey...theoretically...bigger front is more understeer, bigger rear is more oversteer. however... just recently, i found out that on the bmw m coupe...bigger front is better... this, coming from mark sipes aka national SCCA solo2 champ (via friend)... my friend said his m coupe would have less understeer with a fatter front bar...very weird. says it keeps the front flatter and allows the front tires to bite better...so less understeer...
Old 06-24-2003, 12:54 PM

Imperial Red C36
Are there any other companies besides Eibach that makes sway bars for the w202 (1995 C36 specifically) - H&R, Kleeman, Carlsson??
Old 06-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

H&R says they will but it's been a long time and they still don't know when the bars r gonna come out. Carlsson used to have bars & maybe still do but they r very expensive. Like 800 bucks compared to Eibachs 400.

Stock CLK55 bars r made by Eibach. My install guy has a customer's CLK55 at his shop and he showed me. "Eibach" logo etched right on it along with original MB part number. Also, 30mm front diameter is thicker than any af bars available for any 202.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:57 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Alright, now you guys are going to love me. Here is a company that will custom make sway bars for us, cheap. But, you do have to send them a bar to copy.

If someone has a bar from W202 to send. I will help with shipping as I want a 30mm bar for the front.

http://www.tlssteel.com/

And yes if your car is rolling over in the corners and causing the tires to also roll over to the edge, then a bigger front roll bar will help cure that.

Jeff