C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Tranny Fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
Tranny Fluid?

I've read many different threads regarding which synthetic transmission fluid to use. I'm leaning towards Amsoil but according to their site, there is no model specific oil for the C43. My next choice would be Royal Purple but I would rather go with Amsoil if anyone can add any input as to which of their oils is the right type for a C43. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I strongly recommend you use Fuchs TITAN ATF 4134. The best oil for the c43 and if I remember correctly, the same as used at the factory. Enjoy the reading below...

About Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 - Mercedes MB 236.14

Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 is an ultra high performance automatic transmission fluid meeting the Mercedes automatic transmission approval MB 236.14

ATF 4134 has been specially developed to optimise shifting performance of Mercedes automatic transmissions. It is particularly suitable for the new generation of Mercedes NAG2 automatic transmissions but is backwardly compatible with and provides improved performance over MB 236.12 automatic transmission fluids.

ATF 4134 is one of the few ATFs meeting the MB 236.14 approval. Other ATFs meeting this specification are the Mobil ATF 134 and Shell ATF134, but Fuchs TITAN ATF 4134 is factory filled in the latest generation of Mercedes Benz (NAG 2) 7-speed automatic gearboxes (Model designation 722.9), providing the required anti-wear and friction modifier additive systems to ensure proper function during the full lifetime of the gearbox.

TITAN ATF 4134 is backward compatible to products fulfilling the requirements of MB-Approval 236.12 and substitutes them in almost every application (refer to
manufacturer filling instructions or contact us for advice).

TITAN ATF 4134 is specially recommended for 5-speed transmissions with regulated torque converter lockup clutch for vehicles with rear wheel drive (model designation 722.6) for remarkable improvement of shifting quality.

TITAN ATF 4134 is also suitable for Chrysler Crossfire and other cars requiring TITAN ATF 4134 or a product in compliance with MB-Approval
236.14. TITAN ATF 4134 is also specified for the use in Ssang Yong vehicles equipped with Mercedes Benz transmissions.

Whilst ATF 4134 is miscible and compatible with conventional branded ATFs, a complete oil change is recommended when converting to TITAN ATF 4134 in order to exploit the product’s full benefits.

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 07-25-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Why in the world would you get anything other than OEM? The fluid specifically designed and made for this transmission when Mercedes engineers built the transmission? What do you think some aftermarket fluid will accomplish? If you're having issues, I can guarantee it's not the fault of the MB fluid.

I do the transmission work at my dealer and I have more experience on these transmission than you'd believe. I would only use the mb fluid. Lately on the fluid bottles, they do have the number 134 on the front. So if those fluid listed above are exactly the same as the MB fluid (I don't know this to be true), then I'd say it's ok since it is MB fluid.

These are very good transmissions despite what you read on this website. I can't tell you how many times I get cars in from other trans shops that do more harm than good in their attempt to repair these transmissions.

I also find it very odd how many people on here have had their transmission "replaced". I can't remember the last time I've completely replaced a transmission. Everything is serviceable. I've seen shops recommend a complete replacement for a speed sensor in the trans being bad. I've seen transmissions be replaced from shops for torque converter issues. I could go on and on.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by benzslo
Why in the world would you get anything other than OEM? The fluid specifically designed and made for this transmission when Mercedes engineers built the transmission? What do you think some aftermarket fluid will accomplish? If you're having issues, I can guarantee it's not the fault of the MB fluid.

I do the transmission work at my dealer and I have more experience on these transmission than you'd believe. I would only use the mb fluid. Lately on the fluid bottles, they do have the number 134 on the front. So if those fluid listed above are exactly the same as the MB fluid (I don't know this to be true), then I'd say it's ok since it is MB fluid.

These are very good transmissions despite what you read on this website. I can't tell you how many times I get cars in from other trans shops that do more harm than good in their attempt to repair these transmissions.

I also find it very odd how many people on here have had their transmission "replaced". I can't remember the last time I've completely replaced a transmission. Everything is serviceable. I've seen shops recommend a complete replacement for a speed sensor in the trans being bad. I've seen transmissions be replaced from shops for torque converter issues. I could go on and on.
I'm not having any issues with my tranny but I'm wanting to change out the fluid and filter. Here in Vancouver, Canada the Mercedes fluid is $23 per litre and I was wanting to know my options and if there was an equivalent fluid at a lower cost. Does anyone know the cost and part# of the tranny fluid at a Mercedes dealer in the U.S.? Is 8-9 quarts accurate as far as the quantity? Thanks for the input and advice. That's all that I was looking for.

Cheers

Last edited by nkctb7; 07-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
It sounds like that Titan stuff is the same, maybe you could find it without the benz label on it to save some money?

That's hard to swallow that price I agree. We have stock piles of the bottles at work so I never have to buy any for myself, I forget about some of those costs at times.

I'd recommend draining the torque converter also if you want to get the most fluid out, there is a drain plug on it, you have to rotate the engine until the drain plug is accessable through the opening at the bottom of the bellhousing. The torque converter holds more than the the pan does. The drain plug is the same size as the pan drain plug, 5mm allen. Use new crush washers on both.

I'd throw a new electric socket in as well if it hasn't been done recently. Even if it's not leaking externally, they can still be leaking internally and into the wire harness. It's only a matter of time before it leaks anyway, and it's right there if you're servicing the trans. I believe it's only $15 or so and only 1 7mm screw. good luck

Last edited by benzslo; 07-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks again for the tips and advice as I really appreciate it. I'll check into the Titan oil.

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 348 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55

Agree with you,,

Stick with an OE fluid is better of course,

but sometimes you need a good alternative fluid that has the same OE specification, during to the [[DAMN]] $$$$ OE fluid......

ZAYED,,
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I went once to the dealer to get ATF, and they gave me Shell branded ATF - apparently the same stuff as sold under the OE label. The last time I used the Fuchs Titan stuff, and paid about C$15 per litre, but that was from the independent shop. I think the Fuchs Titan ATF is worth it just because the name sounds so cool....

If memory serves, it might be difficult to get at the torque converter drain plug with the driver side cat/downpipe still in place.

Mercedes has those 'info spec sheets' that specify which particular fluids by brand and type that satisfy that particular spec. I remember reading it a while ago, if you google or search you should be able to find it. I can't remember the specific sheet number for ATF. There are a lot of good DIYs on the 'other' Benz site, specifically in the 210 chassis section, I think you could find the spec sheet info there.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
MB operating fluids

Here is a list with specifications for ALL operating fluids for a MB. Click on the fluid # and you have access to further info including the approved manufacturers and PDF data sheets. A/T fluids are #236 and after:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...&language_id=1

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 07-26-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Completed post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
I'd throw a new electric socket in as well if it hasn't been done recently. Even if it's not leaking externally, they can still be leaking internally and into the wire harness. It's only a matter of time before it leaks anyway, and it's right there if you're servicing the trans. I believe it's only $15 or so and only 1 7mm screw. good luck
Benzslo, where/what part is this 'electric socket' that you speak of?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
!

You are a very rare bird indeed..an honest transmission tech..thats all you hear are horror stories regarding transmission shops from AAMCO TO DEALERSHIPS.Surely one 99% of the time will be in for an outright fleecing when ones trans is acting up..you are basically at the mercy of them..and they know it! Just refreshing to know that there are honest trans guys out there.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Originally Posted by JohnnyRock
Benzslo, where/what part is this 'electric socket' that you speak of?
The socket goes into the trans pan itself. It's on the passenger side, facing forward, ie. to see it you need to look towards the rear of the car. There's a bit of heatshield in the way too.

Easier to do when the car is cool!