Sponsored by:

C450 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by trueblue_ips
Benyl, there precisely is the rub. It's called a Mercedes AMG,or to be more precise a Mercedes AMG Sport. It has many AMG components and MB themselves describe it as a "true AMG".
However many c63 owners are understandly miffed that MB are producing "cheap" Amgs which may dilute the brand.
No it isn't. It is a Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport. True AMGs are now Mercedes-AMG whatever.

Big difference. But it will be a great car. I don't necessarily think anyone with a C450 is a poser, unless he refers to his car as an AMG. I highly doubt any would.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,387 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I think the c450 will be one of the best Mercedes Benz' built... On that I think most of us agree

Looking forward to test driving it, may replace our aging Infiniti g35x
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
Originally Posted by Strafe1
I think someone else missed the point.....
You believe this is "nothing more than a gimmick"? Obviously you don't see the inherent superiority and precision of one sculptor vs. many. I don't have the time or energy to explain it either. Everyone can have an opinion, so I don't fret that. But, please, use some restraint when you post uniformed dribble on an enthusiasts forum.
The "drivel" you are referring to would make sense if you bothered to read properly.

Please explain to me exactly what the technician/assembler can do to make that engine a unique piece? Every component is precision engineered by mechanical/automotive engineers... the assembler is just putting the pieces together.

Now if there were parameters that he had to tweak during assembly to customise the engine to match something or the other, then that becomes something special.

I want to buy new C63 but not because the engine is assembled by one technician. That doesn't even register on my radar.

Be an enthusiast, but there really is no need to be a fanboy.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by what_the_deuce
Please explain to me exactly what the technician/assembler can do to make that engine a unique piece? Every component is precision engineered by mechanical/automotive engineers... the assembler is just putting the pieces together.

Now if there were parameters that he had to tweak during assembly to customise the engine to match something or the other, then that becomes something special.
I'm not the poster you were addressing but the assembly of the engine is 100% a unique and critical process.

The Nissan GT-R's motor is assembled the same way and as a result, each engine has a different horsepower/torque output. They typically turn out to be underrated (i.e., more power than advertised).

I have read that the same is true for the AMG motors (a byproduct of being hand-built).
Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 PM

2012 GL550
Originally Posted by zibby43
I'm not the poster you were addressing but the assembly of the engine is 100% a unique and critical process.

The Nissan GT-R's motor is assembled the same way and as a result, each engine has a different horsepower/torque output. They typically turn out to be underrated (i.e., more power than advertised).

I have read that the same is true for the AMG motors (a byproduct of being hand-built).
I'm just trying to understand why that should happen. Unless the tolerances on the parts allow for large variations, the power output of the engine should be well controlled.

Even then, there really is no reason why an assembler's skill should have any bearing on the performance on the engine.

I'd love to hear a good explanation to the contrary. I don't have an axe to grind on this subject. I'm neither a fanboy nor a hater.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I think the c450 will be one of the best Mercedes Benz' built... On that I think most of us agree

Looking forward to test driving it, may replace our aging Infiniti g35x
Agreed, and it may replace my S4
Old 02-13-2015, 12:55 AM

CLA45 AMG
Jrcart, MERCEDES say it is an AMG. And they should know!
If Mercedes say it is, then it is. Simples! I don't know why you have a problem with this. MB produce a whole range of AMG cars and this sits between the CLA 45 and the C63.
The C450 does not sit between the CLA45 and the C63, just like the 335i M Sport or the M235i does not sit between the 1M and M3.

BMW does offer several options for the 335i M Sport line, such as M tuned suspension, sport tuned transmission and an M Performance power pack which adds a tune to up the 335i engine power.

The only difference is, with the C450, the above options are standard.

Your lack of knowledge of both the MB and BMW brands is exactly this MB AMG Sport marketing had bet on, else people like you would not have bought into this "true AMG" deal.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 AM

CLA45 AMG
I'm just trying to understand why that should happen. Unless the tolerances on the parts allow for large variations, the power output of the engine should be well controlled.

Even then, there really is no reason why an assembler's skill should have any bearing on the performance on the engine.

I'd love to hear a good explanation to the contrary. I don't have an axe to grind on this subject. I'm neither a fanboy nor a hater.
Why not save your money and buy a GM SS or Ford RS? All those performance cars are now built on assembly lines, and some can run circles around a C Class.

Maybe you are buying a C Class because you value that MB badge? Or maybe you value the extra effort?

The same are true for an AMG model, the hand built engine, the signed badge, all the performance designed into a car that carries an AMG logo.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I find this thread interesting to say the least. Audi has been very successful with the S4. Mercedes sees a market and they are going after it. There is no harm in that.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by dtc100
The C450 does not sit between the CLA45 and the C63, just like the 335i M Sport or the M235i does not sit between the 1M and M3.

BMW does offer several options for the 335i M Sport line, such as M tuned suspension, sport tuned transmission and an M Performance power pack which adds a tune to up the 335i engine power.

The only difference is, with the C450, the above options are standard.

Your lack of knowledge of both the MB and BMW brands is exactly this MB AMG Sport marketing had bet on, else people like you would not have bought into this "true AMG" deal.
No, the CLA45 is a real AMG. The CLA45 will spank a C450. The C450 sits between the C400 and C63.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jrcart
No, the CLA45 is a real AMG. The CLA45 will spank a C450. The C450 sits between the C400 and C63.
I'll be interested to see actual real world tests of the c450 before deciding if it will get spanked by the cla45...
Old 02-13-2015, 11:50 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
I find this thread interesting to say the least. Audi has been very successful with the S4. Mercedes sees a market and they are going after it. There is no harm in that.
Successful without misleading people into thinking the S4 is a "real RS".

Likewise the 3 Series is successful without letting people to believe the M sport model is a "real M car".

MB went too far to mislead ignorant buyers into thinking they are buying a C450 as a true AMG model.

Time will tell how much it will impact the true AMG sales. I would think a lot of the AMG Sport sales will take away from the AMG sales, especially if the buyers believe they have bought a true AMG model.

A C450 sell will not be counted as an AMG sell. I wonder if AMG has been a willing participant in this marketing scheme, or is it MBUSA only?

Last edited by dtc100; 02-13-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Likewise the 3 Series is successful without letting people to believe the M sport model is a "real M car".

MB went too far to mislead ignorant buyers into thinking they are buying a C450 as a true AMG model.

Time will tell how much it will impact the true AMG sales. I would think a lot of the AMG Sport sales will take away from the AMG sales, especially if the buyers believe they have bought a true AMG model.

A C450 sell will not be counted as an AMG sell. I wonder if AMG has been a willing participant in this marketing scheme, or is it MBUSA only?
There are several other amg sport line cars in Europe and other international regions already...Mbusa has nothing to do with that.... C200 I think is one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHquosTg6I&autoplay=1

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-13-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:33 PM

CLA45 AMG
There are several other amg sport line cars in Europe and other international regions already...Mbusa has nothing to do with that.... C200 I think is one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHquosTg6I&autoplay=1
I am talking about the pitch made that the C450 is a true AMG. I thought MBUSA made such claim and some posters here used that as proof the C450 is a real AMG model, because "MB said so".
Old 02-13-2015, 12:44 PM

2012 GL550
Why not save your money and buy a GM SS or Ford RS? All those performance cars are now built on assembly lines, and some can run circles around a C Class.

Maybe you are buying a C Class because you value that MB badge? Or maybe you value the extra effort?

The same are true for an AMG model, the hand built engine, the signed badge, all the performance designed into a car that carries an AMG logo.
The reason I'm planning to buy a C63S is pretty much all of the above. But the point I was making in my first post was that the hand-built side of the AMG engine is nothing more than a brilliant marketing ploy.

It adds cachet to the brand without actually offering anything of substance.

I'd rather have a plaque of the engineers who designed the engine. But that wouldn't go down as well... showing geeks obsessing over computer screens and then running out to the production floor to put the plaque on.

It's much better to have the men in overalls with power tools to finish the assembly, then put the plaque on and send the engine on its way. It's brilliant. But it is just fluff.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:36 PM

CLA45 AMG
The reason I'm planning to buy a C63S is pretty much all of the above. But the point I was making in my first post was that the hand-built side of the AMG engine is nothing more than a brilliant marketing ploy.

It adds cachet to the brand without actually offering anything of substance.

I'd rather have a plaque of the engineers who designed the engine. But that wouldn't go down as well... showing geeks obsessing over computer screens and then running out to the production floor to put the plaque on.

It's much better to have the men in overalls with power tools to finish the assembly, then put the plaque on and send the engine on its way. It's brilliant. But it is just fluff.
You are contradicting yourself. What benefit would a plaque of the design engineer on the engine do? Itself does not make more power, compared to the same engine without the plaque.

But I can offer several benefits of a hand built engine with a signed badge.

1) A hand built engine, like all things hand made, tends to be more valuable than its counterpart built on assembly line, because of the extra effort put into it.

2) A piece of artifact is alway more valuable with an authentic signature on it. It tells a story.

3) If an engine is hand built, one can assume the engine builder has more training and is more experienced, a master engine builder as they say, than a bunch of workers on the engine assembly line trained to handle one particular installation, and go from one model to the next, among maybe 10 to 20 different engine types, some designed for minivans, other for pickup trucks, family sedans, SUVs, and with performance engines in the mix.

4) The testing and troubleshooting are more focused at only the limited number of the performance engines, without the distraction from the demand of other non-performance products.

5) The master builder is not rushed because there is not the usual pressure of a moving assembly line coming at you and you are clocked for every move you make.

The bottom line, it is a unique aspect of the AMG models other popular performance brands do not offer. It adds certain exclusivity, and exclusivity can be a good thing.

It is in part marketing ploy, sure, but not all of it, when extra effort is made and the product is backed by a real person behind it.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-13-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

You are contradicting yourself. What benefit would a plaque of the design engineer on the engine do? Itself does not make more power, compared to the same engine without the plaque.

1) A hand built engine, like all things hand made, tends to be more valuable than its counterpart built on assembly line, because of the extra effort put into it.

2) A piece of artifact is alway more valuable with an authentic signature on it. It tells a story.

3) If an engine is hand built, one can assume the engine builder has more training and is more experienced, a master engine builder as they say, than a bunch of workers on the engine assembly line trained to handle one particular installation, and go from one model to the next, among maybe 10 to 20 different engine types, some designed for minivans, other for pickup trucks, family sedans, SUVs, and with performance engines in the mix.

4) The testing and troubleshooting are more focused at only the limited number of the performance engines, without the distraction from the demand of other non-performance products.

5) The master builder is not rushed because there is not the usual pressure of a moving assembly line coming at you and you are clocked for every move you make.

The bottom line, it is a unique aspect of the AMG models other popular performance brands do not offer. It adds certain exclusivity, and exclusivity can be a good thing.

It is in part marketing ploy, sure, but not all of it, when extra effort is made and the product is backed by a real person behind it.
We amg owners have the exclusive "aggressive depreciation" package that only amg can offer

So much for hand built exclusivity

Don't get me wrong ... 100k is disposable for me otherwise id never touch an amg, but it's sad how they depreciate
Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

CLA45 AMG
We amg owners have the exclusive "aggressive depreciation" package that only amg can offer

So much for hand built exclusivity

Don't get me wrong ... 100k is disposable for me otherwise id never touch an amg, but it's sad how they depreciate
All performance models and most supercars tend to depreciate a lot.

Who knows, without a hand built engine, our AMGs could depreciate even faster. So here is another benefit of the hand built engine
Old 02-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

All performance models and most supercars tend to depreciate a lot.

Who knows, without a hand built engine, our AMGs could depreciate even faster. So here is another benefit of the hand built engine
Cheers
Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

There is nothing wrong with advertising a AMG Sport package, but MB is quite clear that it isn't an AMG. Are certain aspects like a "true AMG"? Yes. We see that there are components in this car that are tuned by AMG...important parts. But it isn't an AMG. We all know how an AMG's nomenclature is meant to be, and you can sure as hell bet the person driving off in his C450 AMG Sport knows this as well.

Now if that person wants to be a poser and call his car an AMG, he is a loser. Pure and simple.

AMGs have started this slippery slope with, no offense, the CLA45. If anyone wants to get mad at "diluting" the brand, it is that car, and the A45. A 4 banger, yeah yeah I know, tuned by AMG in a FWD based car at a low price point was the beginning of the end. The growth brought on my the outrageous C63 in '08 is what truly captured the imagination of AMG and made the brand blow up.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:13 PM

2012 GL550

The engineer is the one who's actually designed the engine (a much higher level of skill set required).

Yes, there is cost added due to the individual assembly process, but that's done purely to create uniqueness for the sake of being unique. The term "master" builder is pure unadulterated marketing. It's a guy putting together precision engineered components. An automated line would achieve the same thing.

It is my opinion (and you don't have to agree with it), there really is no other reason to do it other than creating a little extra brand cachet. And as we can see from this discussion, it clearly works!

As for the product being backed by a real person... well, if you end up having an issue with the engine, trust me, it is not going back to the "master". It will end up with their failure analysis group, and if they do find a genuine issue, it will get forwarded to the appropriate team. Even if it is an assembly issue, it will be down to the parameters set by the assembly engineers. I'm afraid the job of the "master" is to simply follow the guidelines he's given.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM

Ford Focus
Not being funny but what if the hand built guy comes into work with a massive hangover and just can't be arsed.

You could be the one with the dodgy engine.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Not being funny but what if the hand built guy comes into work with a massive hangover and just can't be arsed.

Look up videos of AMG engine testing prior to installation on a car. You love making an as* outta yourself, don't you? Focus For Life!

These engines are assembled to perfection, and are analyzed through and through.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM

CLA45 AMG

As long as the likelihood of this is less than someone on an assembly line, one of many faceless workers.

Obviously the AMG engine builders are picked from the better and more experienced workers, given more training and are hopefully paid more so not to screw up as often.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:55 PM

Range Rover Sport Supercharged - Porsche Caymen S - Motorcycles
Isn't it funny that this thread on the C63 W205 is one of the stickiest, and its all about C450 AMG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG