C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Digital Instrument, opinion, questions, feedback..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
2019 Digital Instrument, opinion, questions, feedback..

HI

As the 2019 C-class as one of the main new features it's the new digital instrument/cockpit. It will be nice to have a thread where users show us some pictures, experiences, feedback, tricks and resolve questions. And make "sticky" thread in the future as a reference for all users for this feature. In the US website I download the 2019 manuals but there isn't much information, but for users as a reference, as we wait for the cars...

For example, how is it the visibility with sunlight and at night?

Anyone with polarized sunglasses, affects the visbility?

As it has a welcome message, with the Merc. grill, I noticed in some videos that the C63 shows the Panamerica grill. In the C43, in some videos appears the "Diamond/AMG line Grill" but in others appears the standard Merc grill, non of them the actual AMG grill. Could we customize the welcome message/image?

when the engine it's switch off, the last view it's saved?

whats your favourite view?

Regards
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
You asked lots of questions, will have to pay a little more attention next time I start it for the welcome graphic. As for sunlight or other viewing issues, none at all so far. As for polarized glasses, no problem with those either on the digital instrument panel but on the heads-up display polarized glasses just about wipe out the info. Sometimes it's barely there depending on the angle and whether day or night. But without polarized glasses it's perfectly visible in all light. That made me order a new set of sunglasses without the polarized lenses.
I would bet that the system will not let you do any customization for a lot of reasons. But there are plenty of things that are user flexible to move things around and determine what is displayed and where.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tirgoman:
Frank Rizzo (01-07-2019), NJC63Fan (01-25-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
I'll try to answer your Questions out of my Head:
The Visibility is great, it dims without harsh steps and is matte, so readable even with the low winter sun in the Mountains in my back.
Polarized Sunglasses doesnt affect the Display, it affects the Headup-Display, but only slightly in my Case (Ray-Ban).
I have a C43 Coupé and the Welcome Display with the Merc-Grill shows the old Diamond/AMG-Line Grill, not the new Twin-Spoke. Theres no customizing possible atm.
The last view gets saved when you switch the Car off.

I prefer the AMG-specific View with everything in the middle. So i can have Transmission/Engine and Tire Temps on the Right side and Fuel Cons. on the left.
With the Splitscreen Navi/Media Display in the middle i see everything i need without switching throught.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (04-28-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13. Current: 2019 C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Tirgoman
You asked lots of questions, will have to pay a little more attention next time I start it for the welcome graphic. As for sunlight or other viewing issues, none at all so far. As for polarized glasses, no problem with those either on the digital instrument panel but on the heads-up display polarized glasses just about wipe out the info. Sometimes it's barely there depending on the angle and whether day or night. But without polarized glasses it's perfectly visible in all light. That made me order a new set of sunglasses without the polarized lenses.
I would bet that the system will not let you do any customization for a lot of reasons. But there are plenty of things that are user flexible to move things around and determine what is displayed and where.
This is exactly why I did not get the HUD. I have one on my 3 series and its only useful at night. I mainly used it when I was dating my now wife so I could see directions to the places we would go and she would think I was just really familiar with the areas... It is nice to scroll through music or phone numbers though.
PFEAMG (04-28-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by ACSchnitzersprt
This is exactly why I did not get the HUD. I have one on my 3 series and its only useful at night. I mainly used it when I was dating my now wife so I could see directions to the places we would go and she would think I was just really familiar with the areas... It is nice to scroll through music or phone numbers though.

I gotta say, I really miss my HUD from my 335. I loved having the speed always visible without looking down, definitely got used to it. Btw, I never had problems seeing it in daylight, but I did change the contrast settings and the display height right after I got the car.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by EdC43AMG
HI

when the engine it's switch off, the last view it's saved?

whats your favourite view?

Regards
Yes, the last view is always saved. Supersport i think has the best layout of information.

I'm pretty happy with the digital dash, but its not on the level of the audi virtual cockpit. Its integration with android auto navigation is also lacking.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:49 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53
Went to the car to check out the opening screen logo that you asked about, when I open the door the digital dash immediately comes on, the center portion says to remember my key and the outer right and left have the 2 dials I have set up, then when I press the starter button everything runs through it's routine and I'm in business. I don't see a logo anywhere. I didn't mess around much but will when I'm out tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13. Current: 2019 C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by kjwitha43
I gotta say, I really miss my HUD from my 335. I loved having the speed always visible without looking down, definitely got used to it. Btw, I never had problems seeing it in daylight, but I did change the contrast settings and the display height right after I got the car.
My main issue was polarized sunglasses. I have a medical condition that results in sever light sensitivity, so polarization, among other lens treatment is the route I have to go. I did adjust the contrast and the actual angle of the HUD since I had gotten used to driving with a 35 degree angled neck to see the HUD.

I currently have my BMW as I wait for the C43 to be ready today... ordered in May, super excited. I do enjoy turning off the center screen and just use the HUD at night when there isn't a lot of traffic. I'll likely end up missing this... and a heated steering wheel.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM

My main issue was polarized sunglasses. I have a medical condition that results in sever light sensitivity, so polarization, among other lens treatment is the route I have to go. I did adjust the contrast and the actual angle of the HUD since I had gotten used to driving with a 35 degree angled neck to see the HUD.

I currently have my BMW as I wait for the C43 to be ready today... ordered in May, super excited. I do enjoy turning off the center screen and just use the HUD at night when there isn't a lot of traffic. I'll likely end up missing this... and a heated steering wheel.
you will love the "night panel" feature in Saabs, first time it looks just a "stupid" thing, but sometimes on dark night it helps to be concentrated on the road and just see the speedo and any notification that's relevant

Regards
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC43
Isn't this an option? I thought you can stick with old analog gauges if you wish?

Call me old fashion, I like 3D feel of old analog needles and dashes. LCD dash actually save them money.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:04 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53
Don't know any about Saabs, didn't they close up years ago, maybe even pre-digital, but I see you have or had a couple so you're the expert on them.
On the C43 you can still get the original analog dash (doesn't even cost extra) but about the only thing analog is the speedo and tach, everything else has been digital for many years. On the new digital dash I have to say that the red needles almost look 3D to me. And the options that come with having the digital dash as far as setting it up are great. Trans temp, individual tire temp and pressure and a long list of other info.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
I opted for analog on my 2019. I just like the feel of real.

Porsche probably has it right on the new 911. Analog center tach surrounded by configurable digital circle-screens.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
We really wanted digital but felt like it was "fake" but looked really good! Didn't want to pay extra $2,500 over the car we are getting
Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53
It's OK that you don't like the digital panel, personal preference, but the 12.3 inch digital display is only $750 on my window sticker.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
It's OK that you don't like the digital panel, personal preference, but the 12.3 inch digital display is only $750 on my window sticker.
next car the dealer had was $2500 more with options we didn’t need
Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM

The digital cluster it's optional. At least on the Merc. websites i checked the model.

In Spain it's for around 1.000€ (included taxes). Mine I ordered with it.

Personally I always liked the analog dials, but when I saw the digital ones like the Audi and Merc ones, the good thing it's the customization that allows you, to put the right information when needed

Thanks all for the feedback

Regards
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM

Had my car for a week now and found some things that I'd like to bring up. I love the digital dash. I want the options available to me to be fully utilized though...

The radio display in the digital dash- I am only seeing the default thumbnail versus the image that the radio stations (Sat Radio) are sending that show up on the center console screen. Is this just me or is this something everyone is experiencing? Small annoyance, but it would be nice to see the image of the station for quick glance versus reading the station names... why even include the thumbnail if it wont show outside of media images?

The navigation- I don't have command or pre-wire, but I do have the nav selection option in the digital dash. Someone on another post mentioned android shows arrows on there dash with that selection, but I have not seen anything besides "Loading/Please Wait" for CarPlay. The Nav selection is not available in the center console screen, so again, why have it?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM

2019 C43 sedan
Had my car for a week now and found some things that I'd like to bring up. I love the digital dash. I want the options available to me to be fully utilized though...

The radio display in the digital dash- I am only seeing the default thumbnail versus the image that the radio stations (Sat Radio) are sending that show up on the center console screen. Is this just me or is this something everyone is experiencing? Small annoyance, but it would be nice to see the image of the station for quick glance versus reading the station names... why even include the thumbnail if it wont show outside of media images?

The navigation- I don't have command or pre-wire, but I do have the nav selection option in the digital dash. Someone on another post mentioned android shows arrows on there dash with that selection, but I have not seen anything besides "Loading/Please Wait" for CarPlay. The Nav selection is not available in the center console screen, so again, why have it?
That might've been me. Recently it also only shows "Please Wait" for me on android. I think mercedes must've pushed an update through that disabled it.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 PM

I doubt Merc sent somthing OTA that could change that... or else I waited for a software update for quite some time for no reason. lol.

Probably an update to your phone or the app. I bet displaying maps on a digital display is a programming nightmare for car manufacturers. Android Auto and CarPlay are basically virtual machines housed on MB interface, so there is not a lot of overlap. Even when going into the phone settings or media settings, we are prompted to go into carplay or android auto to manage those settings if we have the device hooked up.

Sure, setting up a nav window in the instrument cluster might be easy considering they made the NAV button go to Apple Maps versus any other nav on Carplay, but when we start talking about viewing different map apps in our instrument cluster, in addition to the SD card maps or the command maps, how does the system determine the difference? Also, when closing out of any app on the phone when CarPlay is active it closes the app on CarPlay too. So getting the map to display in the instrument cluster without showing on the center screen is also an issue... I wouldn't want the Nav showing on both.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM

2019 C43 sedan
I don't think i did anything different, but it is showing up for me again. This is on Android Auto 3.8.584564-release and Google Maps.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by slyce130
I don't think i did anything different, but it is showing up for me again. This is on Android Auto 3.8.584564-release and Google Maps.

Are you able to see the same in the non-super sport displays? Did it take a bit with the "Please Wait" or was it there when you selected it?

Thank you- frustrating that its on Android since I am an apple household.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

2019 C43 sedan
This show up for me in all display modes and is relatively quick. The moment i have a destination selected in the navi on the center screen, the arrows appear in the digital dash.
ACSchnitzersprt (01-25-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Mercedes C43 amg
Went to the car to check out the opening screen logo that you asked about, when I open the door the digital dash immediately comes on, the center portion says to remember my key and the outer right and left have the 2 dials I have set up, then when I press the starter button everything runs through it's routine and I'm in business. I don't see a logo anywhere. I didn't mess around much but will when I'm out tomorrow.
Hey, I just bought the 2019 C43 with the digital dash a few days ago, and I've been having the same problem. I was hoping maybe you figured out how to make the welcome screen pop up. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 04-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C43 Cabriolet
Outdoor Temp displayed on the centre 12.5" screen?

I have a 2019 C43 Cab with the analog cockpit and 12.5" centre screen. Is there a way to get the outdoor temp to show on the centre screen instead of the top of the analog cockpit? Reason I ask is because I can't easily see the temp with the preferred position of my steering wheel. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
C43
Yes, where is the "Welcome" screen at start-up??? I saw it once when I picked up my car but from then on only the "Don't forget your key" nonsense when starting the car as you described.

I discovered that if you get into the car and lock it using the key fob and the push the Start button the nice Welcome display appears. It's definitely a glitch in the software and the dealer was no help, soo, anyone from MBUSA listening? Maybe there's a fix in the works...

This isn't really a big deal but it's certainly not the "Best or Nothing".
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Start Screen_1.mov (3.90 MB, 119 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 Digital Instrument, opinion, questions, feedback..