Sponsored by:

Car Is Cold Starting Every Hour After Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Car Is Cold Starting Every Hour After Updates

I took my car is for service and also told them to update the cars software.
They updated the Engine Electronics Software and the 9G-Tronic software.

Now my car cold starts every hour, which is incredibly annoying. Everybody in the office.can hear the car.
Previously it would only cold start in the morning and if the car had not been driven for 5-6hours.

Now it will cold start every time the car has not been driven for an hour.

I can drive the car 40mins, park, come out 45mins later and it will COLD START AGAIN.

The engine and transmission oil temps seem normal upon cold starts as well, so I don't think it's an issue of the car actually being cold.

Has anybody experienced this?!

I would ask the dealer but its weekend here now and also I am not looking forward to visiting the dealership again and having to leave the car there for X amount of days.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
If it's a setting on xentry, I wouldn't mind setting mine to cold start every start. Beats going to sport+ when starting.
The following 2 users liked this post by stockbmw:
cjaredscott (09-14-2019), Tuxdude (09-15-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by waisoserious

Now my car cold starts every hour, which is incredibly annoying. Everybody in the office.can hear the car.
Previously it would only cold start in the morning and if the car had not been driven for 5-6hours.

I can drive the car 40mins, park, come out 45mins later and it will COLD START AGAIN.

The engine and transmission oil temps seem normal upon cold starts as well, so I don't think it's an issue of the car actually being cold.

I would ask the dealer but its weekend here now and also I am not looking forward to visiting the dealership again and having to leave the car there for X amount of days.
Just to clarify, by cold start, do you mean that your car's engine temp is cool every time you start? What does this have to do with everyone in your office being able to hear your car start? Does the car make a different start noise when it is warm vs cool? Don't you also have an exhaust button option just to be loud and obnoxious to others?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
It is not a cold start. Engine temperature has nothing to do with it. It does it to heat up the cats. Chances are the software has been updated to include new environmental settings... or something is messed up in the EECU, so it thinks the exhaust is cold and therefore runs the overfueling to reheat the cats.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JonWu
Just to clarify, by cold start, do you mean that your car's engine temp is cool every time you start? What does this have to do with everyone in your office being able to hear your car start? Does the car make a different start noise when it is warm vs cool? Don't you also have an exhaust button option just to be loud and obnoxious to others?

When the car does a “Cold Start”, the car starts very very loudly and idles very high. It is extremely loud.
My car doesn't have performance exhaust. But I have FI Exhaust. The cold start sound is ridiculously loud an obnoxious even from inside the cabin.
It is definitely not something I want to experience every hour.

Normally during cold starts the engine and trans oil temps are low. But now my car does it every hour, even when the temps are normal. As long as the car has been sitting for like 30mins or 1 hour, it will cold start again.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:37 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by stockbmw
If it's a setting on xentry, I wouldn't mind setting mine to cold start every start. Beats going to sport+ when starting.
+1, it would be a good mod if available through something like OBD11 if possible or Xentry if not
Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 AM

Anybody else with aftermarket exhaust getting repeated cold start issues?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon

Do your car have a build in stationary heater ?

If so, try disable it in the menu, and see if that helps.

I find it difficult to believe that the car, on purpose from MB, should start every hour, just to keep Cats warm. This pollutes more than it prevents.
If it is not related to the stationary heater programming, then it must be possible to disable it in Xentry.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SLcharge
Do your car have a build in stationary heater ?

If so, try disable it in the menu, and see if that helps.

I find it difficult to believe that the car, on purpose from MB, should start every hour, just to keep Cats warm. This pollutes more than it prevents.
If it is not related to the stationary heater programming, then it must be possible to disable it in Xentry.

Where would that option even be in the menu? I dont recall seeing any such option.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 AM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Where would that option even be in the menu? I dont recall seeing any such option.
Look in your owners manual.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Anybody recently update the software in their car and have the same issue?

I just want to know if this is normal for the update before I decide to hound the dealer and/or the exhaust shop.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 PM

I went to the dealer yesterday to show them that the car would coldstart basically every hour. I brought in my car very warm, parked, waited 45mins and it cold started. They saw the engine/transmission oil temps before I cold started so they could verify that the engine was not cold.

They decided to test a GLE43 they had in for service. They cold started the GLE43 and let it warm up in idle for 20-30mins in idle. Then they shutoff the car and let it sit for an hour. After 1 hour they started the GLE43 and it cold started again just like mine.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM

I have an idea and I would like you guy's feedback.

What if I an aftermarket tuner (EC/AMR etc) was able to provide me a tune based on a different GLC43 that had a stock software version matching my previous un-updated software version? That other GLC43 would presumably not have my cold start issues since his car was not updated.

1. Could this be done?
2. Would my car even run properly?
3. If my car would even accept this file, would it resolve my coldstart problem?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
pretty sure they should be able to rollback the software. getting them to do so is another story.

it's about 4-5 hours before my car cold starts again in FL where ambient temp is about 90
Old 09-19-2019, 08:16 AM

C43
I have an idea and I would like you guy's feedback.

What if I an aftermarket tuner (EC/AMR etc) was able to provide me a tune based on a different GLC43 that had a stock software version matching my previous un-updated software version? That other GLC43 would presumably not have my cold start issues since his car was not updated.

1. Could this be done?
2. Would my car even run properly?
3. If my car would even accept this file, would it resolve my coldstart problem?
I just wanted to confirm what is happening. Are you saying that your car is cold starting every time you start up even when it was recently warm (within 1 hour), or the fact that your car is automatically starting up every hour by itself with a cold start?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I just wanted to confirm what is happening. Are you saying that your car is cold starting every time you start up even when it was recently warm (within 1 hour), or the fact that your car is automatically starting up every hour by itself with a cold start?
When he starts it. Very misleading wording on his posts.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM

C43
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
When he starts it. Very misleading wording on his posts.
So I'm not sure what the problem is, since assuming a normal person works a 9-5 job, their car is going to be cold in the afternoon anyway, regardless of the update. I can understand if you have some type of schedule where you are driving your car every 40 min and you need to be able to floor it for the first 15 min of driving, but I would think this situation is rare. Am I missing something? I would venture to guess the avg engine off time between drives of most people who are driving this car to work and parking it at home after is like 6-7 hours, meaning that it doesn't matter which update you are on.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
So I'm not sure what the problem is, since assuming a normal person works a 9-5 job, their car is going to be cold in the afternoon anyway, regardless of the update. I can understand if you have some type of schedule where you are driving your car every 40 min and you need to be able to floor it for the first 15 min of driving, but I would think this situation is rare. Am I missing something? I would venture to guess the avg engine off time between drives of most people who are driving this car to work and parking it at home after is like 6-7 hours, meaning that it doesn't matter which update you are on.
Yeah this is all poppycock to me. I don't get it either. I'd have no problem with this either way.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Anybody else with aftermarket exhaust getting repeated cold start issues?

My GLC43 is bone stock and it started doing this after the last update. It's normal. If it bugs you, put it in gear and it will immediately return to normal idle.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Mr. J
If it bugs you, put it in gear and it will immediately return to normal idle.
+1. My C63S does the same, the moment you put it in D or R, it returns to the the normal idle corresponding to the Dynamics Mode you're on.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but isnt putting it into gear before the idle goes down on its own bad for the car?
The following users liked this post:
netboy (06-24-2022)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Forgive my ignorance, but isnt putting it into gear before the idle goes down on its own bad for the car?
I think revving the engine high and/or driving aggressively to add stress on components like the engine and/or transmission before they have warmed up sufficiently (usually happens within few mins of starting the car) are the things to be usually worried about. If you're not stressing the car when it's not yet warmed up, I don't see what you should be worried about.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Not counting the 1st startup of the morning when I leave my house to drive to the office:
I leave the office 4hours after i get there to goto the gym or lunch at 12:00 (cold start). Gym for about an 70mins then go back to office (cold start). Leave the offive 4hours later (cold start).
This is the minimum amount of cold starts I have after the update. If i go see a client at 9/10am or 3pm, then cold start.

Previously it would not cold start at 12:00 or 13:20 after i left the gym or at 17:30 when I left the office because I basically drove the car every 3-4 hours.

I park close to the office entrance, so the cold start is a very undesired effect. It brings alot of unwanted attention and is distracting to the people still working.

If you're stock, I dont expect you guys to completely understand the frustration of hearing a cold start every hour. All I can say is that its not pleasant. The coldstart does NOT sound like a warmed up Sport+ Start on stock exhausts. That is not what it sounds like.

It sounds like the car is struggling to keep itself from exploding. The cold start sounds like a straight piped drone at 3k rev in 2nd gear with pops and bangs, but it lasts a continuous 30 seconds.

Also, putting it in drive or reverse during the cold start does not completely get rid of the cold start noise.

In terms of noise levels on a 1-10 scale: If a cold start is a 10 and normal idle is 1, putting the car into gear only reduces it to id say about an 8.

Last edited by waisoserious; 09-19-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:32 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
C43
I want this update!!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
So im gonna ask the important questions: How can we get this amazing update?
The following 2 users liked this post by Malar:
AZFTW (11-06-2019), Csandoval1988 (11-07-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Is Cold Starting Every Hour After Updates