Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JB4: any supporting mods necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c450
Smile JB4: any supporting mods necessary?

Hey guys, I searched around and didn't find anything conclusive about this....

On my BMW, it was nearly mandatory, and in my case I found out the hard way, that you upgrade to an aluminum charge pipe to support adding the JB4.

Are there any gotchas like this for c43/c450?

Thanks in advance,
Soon to be another JB4'd w205!
Old 09-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Be weary. Every car reacts different to this JB4. Some are a lot of problems. If it’s a 2019. Be really weary.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
No u don't need any additional mods tho a downpipe exhaust and intake will help make more power.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by jim04clk
Be weary. Every car reacts different to this JB4. Some are a lot of problems. If it’s a 2019. Be really weary.
What problems are 2019 facelift drivers having with JB4?
Old 09-18-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
No u don't need any additional mods tho a downpipe exhaust and intake will help make more power.
SOME people with '19s have experienced issues, but BMS has claimed them to be in the minority.

No additional mods are required, but the car is highly sensitive to fuel and atmospheric variables (elevation, temp, air density altitude). This is not a symptom of the JB4, but the car itself. Many run E30 fuel mixtures (+/-5gal of E85 per tank) coupled with making a custom map for themselves based on conditions. These people have seen the fastest times on an otherwise completely stock car.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:40 PM

c450
Thanks guys for the input. It is a 2016, so I suppose not as much of a concern in that regard.

I did run e30 mix on my BMW and it was a huge difference between that and just 93 octane, but I had my fair share of issues, so I will likely be taking it really slowly there. And yeah, probably will add supporting mods later to improve power, but right now I'm just making sure there aren't any stock parts that would have trouble with the tune.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Something to keep in mind since someone mentioned down pipes...JB4 doesn't remove any CEL's resulting from downpipes. Can only be done with ECU coding. I know people used to use extra spacers to pull back the O2 sensor to trick the system, but I don't know if anyone has done that on our cars. Plus, no major proven gains with DPs that you'd expect on a turbo car, even with tunes...at least no gains anyone is really posting about.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichardCranium3:
Dieseldan9 (09-19-2019), lindigj (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 01:43 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
No supporting mods needed, just plug n play and enjoy the new found power!

If you feel you want more, go ahead and attach the fuel wire and do a mile ethanol blend like you've done in the past.
Change the maps and enjoy more gains

Once the mod bug hits, don't forget to add our intakes:

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...9edf9003&_ss=r

Those will help you too!

-Payam
Old 09-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Something to keep in mind since someone mentioned down pipes...JB4 doesn't remove any CEL's resulting from downpipes. Can only be done with ECU coding. I know people used to use extra spacers to pull back the O2 sensor to trick the system, but I don't know if anyone has done that on our cars. Plus, no major proven gains with DPs that you'd expect on a turbo car, even with tunes...at least no gains anyone is really posting about.
The bigger, catless DPs must be making more power and torque from what I've seen. I look at the Dragy leaderboards every month, mine is tune only, and in my Estate best times are 3.56 0 - 60 and 11.81 1/4 mile at 115.
I've done loads of runs and they're all fairly consistent for the inclement weather.
The Tune & Downpipe cars are doing consistent mid to low 3s 0-60 and mid to low 11s, and trap speeds at 120 or more.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 PM

c450
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
The bigger, catless DPs must be making more power and torque from what I've seen. I look at the Dragy leaderboards every month, mine is tune only, and in my Estate best times are 3.56 0 - 60 and 11.81 1/4 mile at 115.
I've done loads of runs and they're all fairly consistent for the inclement weather.
The Tune & Downpipe cars are doing consistent mid to low 3s 0-60 and mid to low 11s, and trap speeds at 120 or more.
Even still, those are encouraging numbers that you are getting for tune only. Definitely eager to order one.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
no extra mods needed which make this car awesome. the tuning ceiling is relatively low though without major upgrades which makes this car awesome and not at the same time.

i run jb4 map 5 daily with an e35-e40 mix. been about a year on this setup and loving it. 0-60 is consistent 3.55-3.6 and 12 flat quarter mile. dont run more than e40 though. the fuel pump maxes out in the upper gears and you run out of fuel. e50 is the hard limit, but performance on upper end is reduces somewhere between e40 and e50.

people that use map 6 and really get involved with a custom tune for their car are hitting 11.5-12.0. if you stack with a full ecu tune and jb4 we have been seing sub 11.5 second quarters. that seems to be the limit of stock turbos. the lower 11s guys i believe also have meth as well. depending how much you want to get involved will determine where you fall in the 11s quarter.

for me, just putting some new air filters in and the jb4 has satisfied my needs for this car. best bang for buck no questions asked. make sure to use green plug though! helps tremendously to reduce effects of ambient variables. keep those IATs low as well and this is a rocket ship off the line.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 AM

c450
Originally Posted by Star4life
no extra mods needed which make this car awesome. the tuning ceiling is relatively low though without major upgrades which makes this car awesome and not at the same time.

i run jb4 map 5 daily with an e35-e40 mix. been about a year on this setup and loving it. 0-60 is consistent 3.55-3.6 and 12 flat quarter mile. dont run more than e40 though. the fuel pump maxes out in the upper gears and you run out of fuel. e50 is the hard limit, but performance on upper end is reduces somewhere between e40 and e50.

people that use map 6 and really get involved with a custom tune for their car are hitting 11.5-12.0. if you stack with a full ecu tune and jb4 we have been seing sub 11.5 second quarters. that seems to be the limit of stock turbos. the lower 11s guys i believe also have meth as well. depending how much you want to get involved will determine where you fall in the 11s quarter.

for me, just putting some new air filters in and the jb4 has satisfied my needs for this car. best bang for buck no questions asked. make sure to use green plug though! helps tremendously to reduce effects of ambient variables. keep those IATs low as well and this is a rocket ship off the line.
Love it, thanks for the detailed info, I'm excited. The car has great low end torque stock, but the higher end RPMs leave me wanting. So I think with the JB4 and especially e30 mix it will be perfect!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Have the intakes actually given you a proven , measured increased in performance though? There are issues with heat soak with the 2 that are available.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 C43

Do you need to use the green wire if you are not running any mix? Has anything been worked out for the facelift models as far as a firmware update?
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
Have the intakes actually given you a proven , measured increased in performance though? There are issues with heat soak with the 2 that are available.
i have K&N air filters. I did not buy any of the hot air intake systems. i use oem intakes with K&N filters.

the BMS and MSP or whatever the name of that other company intakes allow more flow it seems but if you sit, the hot air in engine bay kills it. so they may be ok if you are rolling and getting fresh air but not from a dig or waiting in line at the drag strip. id look into modifying the stock air intakes or fabbing my own with carbon fiber before buying those.
The following users liked this post:
Dieseldan9 (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by David Hudak
Do you need to use the green wire if you are not running any mix? Has anything been worked out for the facelift models as far as a firmware update?
you dont need the green wire, but with green wire, car runs much more consistent. the fueling system adapts quickly to outside temps and boost levels. if you hit the max trim on full throttle its going to cut back because of stock tune. so only in perfect conditions will it boost well for you. green wire also helps to compensate for the e85 mixes. so id say always run green plug with any e85 mix, and even if you dont run e85 the green plug still helps to get more consistent performance.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
i have K&N air filters. I did not buy any of the hot air intake systems. i use oem intakes with K&N filters.

the BMS and MSP or whatever the name of that other company intakes allow more flow it seems but if you sit, the hot air in engine bay kills it. so they may be ok if you are rolling and getting fresh air but not from a dig or waiting in line at the drag strip. id look into modifying the stock air intakes or fabbing my own with carbon fiber before buying those.

lol uh oh. there gonna be upset you said this. pretty much though. Actually just bought these after trying the BMS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHB1469/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHB1469/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quality is insane for the price. Didn't want to justify $100 for new filters and wasn't going to run these unless they turned out looking impeccable on arrival.

debating additional mods to the factory boxes - but weary as replacement units are pricey.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
lol the fact that there are color options is just plain silly If they're good quality though added to my wish list!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
lol uh oh. there gonna be upset you said this. pretty much though. Actually just bought these after trying the BMS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quality is insane for the price. Didn't want to justify $100 for new filters and wasn't going to run these unless they turned out looking impeccable on arrival.

debating additional mods to the factory boxes - but weary as replacement units are pricey.
i bought my K&N filters gently used for $25 that pretty much only reason i did it lol.

if you combined BMS filter and intake tubing system with a carbon cavity system to oem intake points that would be sick.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 335is, 2019 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by alexasa

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know your take on the quality once you get them in, please! I agree with Richard that the color options are quite silly.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic

I agree i have mst also and with jb4 I can tell sitting the Temps increase alot but then cool off when I start driving.

I did not check iats stock cause I didn't have jb4 with the car stock.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by viperx100
Let us know your take on the quality once you get them in, please! I agree with Richard that the color options are quite silly.
they are great. been running them for a little over a week? don't expect any drastic changes lol

Old 02-07-2022, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017c43

thanks for all the info !!! I was looking into getting a 2017 c43 as they are extremely affordable rn, and it seems like there isn’t too much info out their on the car. I heard water meth injection is a great combo with jb4. Could that be used to see a low 0-60 time to beat a model 3 performance off the line ??
Old 02-08-2022, 07:38 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Originally Posted by C43pleasehelp
thanks for all the info !!! I was looking into getting a 2017 c43 as they are extremely affordable rn, and it seems like there isn’t too much info out their on the car. I heard water meth injection is a great combo with jb4. Could that be used to see a low 0-60 time to beat a model 3 performance off the line ??
That's a pretty old post. I don't know what year his car is, but on map 2 or 3, you should be able to run 11.8 or 11.9. Running map 5, with fuel, obviously faster. Granted, you have to consider altitude at that point. Just warning you, if you look at threads years old, the information and the product will likely have changed.