C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get extended warranty on the C43 or buy a new car !?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
Get extended warranty on the C43 or buy a new car !?

I would image there are other people in the same boat and perhaps this topic has been discussed before. Would love to get some thoughts.

I have a 2017 C43 Coupe which I love. It is easily one of the best sounding cars on the road - pops and crackles on upshifts and downshifts never get old.

However my factory warranty expires in April 2021. From everything I have read extended warranty is a must-have. After checking with a dealer, a 4-year extended warranty is about $5k! Now as much as I enjoy this car, it will be 4 years old come April and spending $5k to get extended warranty doesn't seem logical. Shouldn't I rather put 5k down and buy a brand new AMG? I essentially get a new car (ofcouse with 4 years of new car warranty) for the same price.

Is there any scenario in which it would make sense to keep my 2017 C43 and spend 5k on extended warranty? I don't see it and I am wondering if I am missing something. I'd appreciate anyones thoughts, thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by mannyamg
I would image there are other people in the same boat and perhaps this topic has been discussed before. Would love to get some thoughts.

I have a 2017 C43 Coupe which I love. It is easily one of the best sounding cars on the road - pops and crackles on upshifts and downshifts never get old.

However my factory warranty expires in April 2021. From everything I have read extended warranty is a must-have. After checking with a dealer, a 4-year extended warranty is about $5k! Now as much as I enjoy this car, it will be 4 years old come April and spending $5k to get extended warranty doesn't seem logical. Shouldn't I rather put 5k down and buy a brand new AMG? I essentially get a new car (ofcouse with 4 years of new car warranty) for the same price.

Is there any scenario in which it would make sense to keep my 2017 C43 and spend 5k on extended warranty? I don't see it and I am wondering if I am missing something. I'd appreciate anyones thoughts, thanks!
?? First of all a new AMG will cost you a lot more than 5k, not sure how you are computing a "essentially a new car for the same price." ??

If you like the car and think you can enjoy it for another 3-5 years then buying the warranty is the cheapest route. There are a few third party warranties that you should look into. Do some homework. Pretty basic.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190

If you get a new one you will lose the pops and crackles which most people seem to love a lot.
The following users liked this post:
jevsays (06-24-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I agree with others. Things keep on getting more expensive and engines keep on getting quieter every model year, regulations are tightening and cylinders are decreasing. As people always say, there are no replacements for displacements.

That being said, the M276 DELA 30 is just a "3.0" but still larger than 2.0... if you enjoy pumped in or synthetic engine noises, by all means get a new car. If you really truly enjoy the pops and bangs on your current car, I say keep it.

If you do not care about synthetic engine noise (basically in cabin sounds with synthetic pops and bangs noises from the speakers) then you can try something new. Things are heading electric soon, heck even not the distant future car sharing has a high possibility of replacing personal transportation and who knows if the regulations will make it expensive to own your own car, knock on wood that doesn't happen. So far, the best of both world is hybrid (well if the technology gets advanced enough and that it becomes more reliable but ya, it is basically the stepping stone to pure electric at this point and what manufacturers are using to help prepare consumers to pure electric)

My recommendation is, keep the vehicle and enjoy it while the current regulations still lets you. I am not sure how the regulations are heading, you never know what happens next. EU regulations although does not apply to North America, EU manufacturers are designing only one exhaust system and not a separate one for each market to save cost. First the OPF then the emissions restrictions now sound regulations.

The next closest thing you can get is the facelift C43 if you want a "new" car but keep in mind that that the facelift is harder to tune (for now) if that is your thing. I keep mines stock as the power is adequate for me.

Let us know what your thoughts are, always curious. If you do plan on getting a new car, please do share your experience and the decision making process and what models have you considered if you want to.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
If you enjoy your current car, you can get a MB Extended Warranty for either 3/75K or 3/100K for half of that $5K. You just have to do the leg work. Go to the warranty forum. Find the finance directors who typically offer the best prices, either email them or call them. I just did this and was quoted half of what my local MB dealership was offering on a 3 year 75K mile MB Extended Warranty.
batman719 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:55 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing

Why do you think extended warranty is a must-have? What specifically is this car's achilles heel in your opinion?
Old 06-22-2020, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGiggity
Why do you think extended warranty is a must-have? What specifically is this car's achilles heel in your opinion?
You ever repair an AMG out of warranty? One hiccup and done.
mannyamg (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM

c43
Originally Posted by places
?? First of all a new AMG will cost you a lot more than 5k, not sure how you are computing a "essentially a new car for the same price." ??

If you like the car and think you can enjoy it for another 3-5 years then buying the warranty is the cheapest route. There are a few third party warranties that you should look into. Do some homework. Pretty basic.
I Financed my 2017 43 amg with 2k down. So I could easily do the same for 5k on most new AMG's.

As I said in the original post, I really like the car but if I had the option to buy a new car for what it would cost me to get an extended warranty I'd go for the former .
Old 06-22-2020, 12:06 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
extended warrenty is throwing money away.
if there's a problem, i'm sure it's cheaper to just pay out of pocket.
my 2016 C450 AMG has 93,000 miles, still running fine.

Jeremyc250 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:06 PM

c43
Nothing in particular. I recently had an Aux battery malfunction which the dealer covered because the car was in warranty. It would have cost about $500 if it wasn't. However, everyone who I know who has owned a Mercedes or BMW highly suggests getting it and swear that is saved them a lot of money in the long run
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
I Financed my 2017 43 amg with 2k down. So I could easily do the same for 5k on most new AMG's.

As I said in the original post, I really like the car but if I had the option to buy a new car for what it would cost me to get an extended warranty I'd go for the former .
this doesn't make sense at all.
if you going to get a new AMG, what you going to do with the 2017 ?
sell it? it's worth like 30k.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:17 PM

c43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I agree with others. Things keep on getting more expensive and engines keep on getting quieter every model year, regulations are tightening and cylinders are decreasing. As people always say, there are no replacements for displacements.

That being said, the M276 DELA 30 is just a "3.0" but still larger than 2.0... if you enjoy pumped in or synthetic engine noises, by all means get a new car. If you really truly enjoy the pops and bangs on your current car, I say keep it.

If you do not care about synthetic engine noise (basically in cabin sounds with synthetic pops and bangs noises from the speakers) then you can try something new. Things are heading electric soon, heck even not the distant future car sharing has a high possibility of replacing personal transportation and who knows if the regulations will make it expensive to own your own car, knock on wood that doesn't happen. So far, the best of both world is hybrid (well if the technology gets advanced enough and that it becomes more reliable but ya, it is basically the stepping stone to pure electric at this point and what manufacturers are using to help prepare consumers to pure electric)

My recommendation is, keep the vehicle and enjoy it while the current regulations still lets you. I am not sure how the regulations are heading, you never know what happens next. EU regulations although does not apply to North America, EU manufacturers are designing only one exhaust system and not a separate one for each market to save cost. First the OPF then the emissions restrictions now sound regulations.

The next closest thing you can get is the facelift C43 if you want a "new" car but keep in mind that that the facelift is harder to tune (for now) if that is your thing. I keep mines stock as the power is adequate for me.

Let us know what your thoughts are, always curious. If you do plan on getting a new car, please do share your experience and the decision making process and what models have you considered if you want to.

Great thoughts, appreciate the feedback. I have considered many of points you mentioned above and am well aware of the EU regulations and the more synthetic sounding cars. As I said in the OP I love the sound of my car. For me it boils down to: Do I enjoy the pops and crackles enough to pay expensive extended warranty to keep my 4 year old car or buy a new car - which admittedly might not sound as good but I get to experience a brand new amg - New tech, features, new color car / seats etc - just the thrill of a change.

I put 2k down when I bought this car. If I could do the same to buy a new car it seems more logical to do that than paying a hefty sum for the extended warranty.

Again thanks for the inputs and well laid out thoughts. I'll keep munching over it some more!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:18 PM

c43
Originally Posted by netboy
this doesn't make sense at all.
if you going to get a new AMG, what you going to do with the 2017 ?
sell it? it's worth like 30k.
What doesn't make sense? Of course, I will sell the 2017 if I decided to buy a new car
Old 06-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Originally Posted by netboy
extended warrenty is throwing money away.
if there's a problem, i'm sure it's cheaper to just pay out of pocket.
my 2016 C450 AMG has 93,000 miles, still running fine.
That is great that you have 93K trouble free miles but that isn't always the case. With as much tech and driving features these cars come with these days. Just one little problem can add up real quick and more so on a AMG vehicle. When you can get a MB extended warranty for 3 years and 75k miles for less than $2400 and 100K miles for around $3K. Money well spent in my mind.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Great thoughts, appreciate the feedback. I have considered many of points you mentioned above and am well aware of the EU regulations and the more synthetic sounding cars. As I said in the OP I love the sound of my car. For me it boils down to: Do I enjoy the pops and crackles enough to pay expensive extended warranty to keep my 4 year old car or buy a new car - which admittedly might not sound as good but I get to experience a brand new amg - New tech, features, new color car / seats etc - just the thrill of a change.

I put 2k down when I bought this car. If I could do the same to buy a new car it seems more logical to do that than paying a hefty sum for the extended warranty.

Again thanks for the inputs and well laid out thoughts. I'll keep munching over it some more!
@mannyamg Thanks for you reply.

I am sorry, I didn't know how I missed the part where you said you do enjoy the sound and it matters to you. Well, if that is the case the facelift C43 probably might be a good idea, it has available digital instrument cluster so just right around of tech I guess.

If you want to, please share what are some options you are considering? For example, are you considering the facelift C43? CLA 45, CLA 35? (maybe not cuz probably slow compared to C43), A45? A35 (same idea as the CLA 35, probably slow compared to C43)? Other makes and models like: 340i? 440i? S4? S5? or even Non-German options? Please do share if you want to, super curious.

One of the very helpful members on the forum, TModelle suggested to consider the CLA 45, as he personally really enjoy it from experience, I think you will like that too and it is a great contender for the next vehicle after owning a C43.

CLA 45 will be all about technology, if that is your thing you might like it, there is drift mode and launch mode and all that good stuff. Personally though, I am keeping my C43 as I can't get enough of the exhaust sound (and personally don't like the headlight and taillight changes) but I need to have some issues sorted out first for my car.

Whatever your option might be, I hope you find what you are looking for and more importantly, enjoy your purchase.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand how down payments work. You would be going into greater debt. How is that cheaper? Do you mean you only have 5K and you don't know what to do with it? Warranty or put it down on a car?
netboy (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...-thread-6.html
Old 06-23-2020, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190

I think the answer is not a difficult one.

1) If you spend the 5k on a downpayment of a new car, financially you are committing yourself to more expenditure than if you spent the 5k on a warranty for an existing car. So it's not the same expenditure. You are spending far more on a new car, it isn't free.

2) A new C43 will not have the same pops and bangs of your current car.
netboy (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 566 Likes on 374 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
It is easily one of the best sounding cars on the road”- nobody ever except OP
Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TModelle
I think the answer is not a difficult one.

1) If you spend the 5k on a downpayment of a new car, financially you are committing yourself to more expenditure than if you spent the 5k on a warranty for an existing car. So it's not the same expenditure. You are spending far more on a new car, it isn't free.

2) A new C43 will not have the same pops and bangs of your current car.
Agree, number 1 specifically. How can you buy a new car for 5K. You're still going into greater debt on a new car. OP keeps stating I can get a new car for 5K. How? By taking out a bigger loan. Theoretically I can purchase a 130K S class with 2K down if I want.
netboy (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It is easily one of the best sounding cars on the road”- nobody ever except OP
100%. Hilarious.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
100%. Hilarious.
Here's a guy (OP) who has 5 total posts and is trying to share some love for his car on this forum. Then there's you two assclowns that have nothing better to do than **** on him. Absolute garbage. No wonder this forum, particularly this sub, is dying.
The following 4 users liked this post by batman719:
DVision44 (06-25-2020), eatmydust (02-08-2023), mannyamg (06-27-2020), netboy (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 AM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by TModelle
If you get a new one you will lose the pops and crackles which most people seem to love a lot.
@TModelle you seem to go out of your way to put down the FL cars every chance you get. Stop spreading misinformation.

@mannyamg you will absolute not lose the pops/crackles with a newer car.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 AM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
You ever repair an AMG out of warranty? One hiccup and done.
So you have no example to share, then?
netboy (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by batman719
@TModelle you seem to go out of your way to put down the FL cars every chance you get. Stop spreading misinformation.
Misinformation?
1) I own a FL, so I would know a thing or two about one.
2) It is a known fact that the FL pops and crackles less than the PFL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Get extended warranty on the C43 or buy a new car !?