Sponsored by:

Heavy jerk during complete stop c43 and 2019 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 c43 sedan
Heavy jerk during complete stop c43 and 2019 sedan

Brakes seem to be too sensitive ? When I come to complete stop, the vehicle jerks much rough than any other cars do.

Is this expected?

I have about 5000 miles on my 2019 c43
Old 09-17-2020, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Have you tried modulating the brake pedal when stopping (i.e., rolling on the pedal gradually)?

The C43 has fairly robust brake hardware (particularly up front). If I really snap the pedal down to come to a complete stop, the brakes will bite hard and you'll feel the car's weight settle, but I've never felt a jerk. But I have to be relatively deep in the pedal travel for that to happen. The C43 has a fairly linear and progressive brake feel (not as defined as a car with 6-piston Brembos up front, but still better than a C300), as opposed to feeling like an on/off switch.

You sure it's not the transmission downshifting rough?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:51 AM

2019 c43 sedan
Originally Posted by zibby43
Have you tried modulating the brake pedal when stopping (i.e., rolling on the pedal gradually)?

The C43 has fairly robust brake hardware (particularly up front). If I really snap the pedal down to come to a complete stop, the brakes will bite hard and you'll feel the car's weight settle, but I've never felt a jerk. But I have to be relatively deep in the pedal travel for that to happen. The C43 has a fairly linear and progressive brake feel (not as defined as a car with 6-piston Brembos up front, but still better than a C300), as opposed to feeling like an on/off switch.

You sure it's not the transmission downshifting rough?
Thanks for the reply.
Yes when I try rolling on the pedal gradually, I don't feel the jerk. But I have to be extremely gradually (compared to my Bmw 3 series)
Doesn't look like a transmission problem to me
Old 09-17-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by loadedbullet
Thanks for the reply.
Yes when I try rolling on the pedal gradually, I don't feel the jerk. But I have to be extremely gradually (compared to my Bmw 3 series)
Hmm, that is odd because I only notice roughness when the transmission shift from 2nd to 1st gear. The speedometer will literally show 0mph and my car would be rolling a tiny bit, then it will shift into 1st gear when the car completely stops moving and there would be a big jerk at that point...
The following users liked this post:
loadedbullet (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Thanks for the reply.
No problem! Yeah, I've owned at least 4 E90/F30 335i sedans (some with the upgraded M Perf. Brembos) and I never found the braking on those cars to be dissimilar from either of my 43s.

If you don't suspect it being the occasional rough downshift, I'd have it looked at. Any noises associated with braking?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:29 PM

2019 c43 sedan
Originally Posted by zibby43
No problem! Yeah, I've owned at least 4 E90/F30 335i sedans (some with the upgraded M Perf. Brembos) and I never found the braking on those cars to be dissimilar from either of my 43s.

If you don't suspect it being the occasional rough downshift, I'd have it looked at. Any noises associated with braking?
I hear noise only if I brake at low speeds. For example, when I use the automatic parking feature, the system uses brakes at low speeds and it's quite noisy (squeaky)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I hear noise only if I brake at low speeds. For example, when I use the automatic parking feature, the system uses brakes at low speeds and it's quite noisy (squeaky)
If you're really averse to taking it in (which I totally understand, believe me lol), I supposed you could try taking a short video of what you're experiencing (if it translates to video). May get a better idea of what's going on.

All the things we're talking about, jerking and squeaking, are kind of relative.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
C43 have torque converter that's either on or off unlike all of automatic cars ever made. It's retarded system when you want to stop, it applies 100% torque or lack of from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 in 2019+ models so we can stop our cars irregularly each time at the lights.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:12 PM

C43
Originally Posted by stockbmw
C43 have torque converter that's either on or off unlike all of automatic cars ever made. It's retarded system when you want to stop, it applies 100% torque or lack of from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 in 2019+ models so we can stop our cars irregularly each time at the lights.
I am just waiting for the few people that will hopefully see this and reply with "learn how to drive correctly, stupid! This is a sports car not a Camry! This is user error!!!11@!2"
The following users liked this post:
HighSun_Murder (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:25 PM

2019 c43 sedan
Talking

Originally Posted by Ramsino
I am just waiting for the few people that will hopefully see this and reply with "learn how to drive correctly, stupid! This is a sports car not a Camry! This is user error!!!11@!2"
~lol
So is BMW. I drive that as well. Havent faced the issue with BMW.
I agree that smooth braking depends on how the driver applies force on the brakes but I have to be way too cautious while applying brakes to come to a complete stop without any jerks (compared to BMW)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:11 PM

C43
~lol
So is BMW. I drive that as well. Havent faced the issue with BMW.
I agree that smooth braking depends on how the driver applies force on the brakes but I have to be way too cautious while applying brakes to come to a complete stop without any jerks (compared to BMW)
Yeah, BMW transmission and brakes are very smooth. Then Audi is next, then Mercedes for some reason is super clunky and unrefined. Whoever worked on the 9spd torque converter should get fired like whoever cheated on the diesel emissions.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Yeah, BMW transmission and brakes are very smooth. Then Audi is next, then Mercedes for some reason is super clunky and unrefined. Whoever worked on the 9spd torque converter should get fired like whoever cheated on the diesel emissions.
Put it this way, this transmission should be smart enough to control variable input from the driver and output variable power using it's torque converter. But no, it's it's 100% on or 0% off. Kinda like on manual transmission when you dump the clutch when you want to drive like a maniac or stop like a dumb *** dumping the clutch to engine brake, instead of fine turning the power with your left foot on clutch.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Mercedes for some reason is super clunky and unrefined. Whoever worked on the 9spd torque converter should get fired like whoever cheated on the diesel emissions.
Agreed, it's one of my few complaints with my car. It's especially prevalent in Sport+ mode.