Sponsored by:

C43 exhaust help/question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43
C43 exhaust help/question

I have a 2018 Mercedes c43 amg without the performance exhaust option. Because of this, I wanted and needed more sound. I decided about a year ago to do a muffler delete. It was too drony at low rpm’s so I thought maybe a resonator delete would help. I did a resonator delete a few months after and it somehow got rid of the low rpm drone, I was also maybe just used to it.

I then went with a stage 1 eurocharged tune. I now decided to install catless downpipes from cts turbo, and go with the eurocharged stage 2 tune because I wanted a little more sound and I wanted it to scream more at high rpm’s. I watched some videos of c43s with performance exhaust and downpipes and it sounded great so I pulled the trigger. I’m currently fully straight piped, besides the main cats, and after installing the downpipes I came to find that the car is way louder than expected. It also sounds extremely raspy, like a ricer and fart can at certain rpm’s and gears. I didn’t expect it to sound like this because the c43s with stock performance exhaust and catless downpipes sound wonderful imo, but I guess since I don’t have the performance exhaust and since I’m straight piped it came out wrong. I’m not going to put stock downpipes back in because the catless ones can’t be returned and I have already paid for the stage 2 flash tune, so taking it off would be a waste.

Anyone have any idea what I should do next to fix the rasp and make it a little quieter? I don’t want it a lot quieter cause I still want some good sound but it is quite loud now. I also don’t want to spend thousands more on a whole aftermarket exhaust system as I have already spent thousands on modifying the car. I would try installing just the resonator but I left it at the shop that took it off, also when I first did the resonator delete it added a slight amount of rasp so I’m thinking that maybe putting my mufflers back on won’t help the rasp and instead will make it just too quiet. But then again the c63s has no resonators stock and it sounds great with catless downpipes. Should I install just the stock mufflers or would that not help the rasp and take away too much sound? Or should I try to find an aftermarket resonator or muffler to put on?

I have videos linked. Any ideas or thoughts would help, sorry for the long paragraph lol.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4097.MOV (14.40 MB, 180 views)
FullSizeRender.MOV (2.57 MB, 70 views)
IMG_4106.MOV (1.92 MB, 67 views)
IMG_4099.MOV (3.99 MB, 66 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 07:08 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Have your stock mufflers put back on using flanges and have the muffler delete section flanged as well so you can swap if necessary. The mufflers should knock down the sound substantially. If still raspy then have the resonators reinstalled with flanges as well. Then you can take the mufflers back off to see the impact of just resonators and no mufflers.
The following users liked this post:
Dozi (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 09:57 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
What u need are high flow cats and your resonators back on.
Dozi (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:25 PM

Mercedes C43
Originally Posted by jonathan358
What u need are high flow cats and your resonators back on.
I don’t have the resonator anymore sadly.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:27 PM

Mercedes C43
Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
Have your stock mufflers put back on using flanges and have the muffler delete section flanged as well so you can swap if necessary. The mufflers should knock down the sound substantially. If still raspy then have the resonators reinstalled with flanges as well. Then you can take the mufflers back off to see the impact of just resonators and no mufflers.
I don’t have the resonator anymore sadly, should I try to use one of the shops custom resonators or mufflers? I feel that putting my oem mufflers back on will take too much sound away and I won’t be satisfied once again. Although the c63s has no resonator and it sounds good.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MB C43
@Dozi do you have at least your rear mufflers stored somewhere? You should get those installed, initially they are responsible for creating the nice note. Cutting PE to a straight pipe was a really bad move...
Ideally get back on mufflers and mid resonator (can do without it). Comparing it to C63 doesn't make sense, since V8 product different note and frequency compared to V6.

What you should get to keep your exhaust louder is to install ASR Module or Renntech to control the OEM exhaust flaps.
Normally exhaust flaps are open only about 30% and they do open/close depending on how you drive. Pedal to the floor = flap open to 100%.
With aforementioned modules you can force the car to open the flaps to 100% all the time even with idling which produces a nice rumbly low rpm sounds.

ASR (Germany):
https://asr-component.de/gb/begin/51...-me2-c205.html

Renntech (USA):
https://renntech-store.com/performan...ts/evm-205-40/

How it works:
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AMGSOME
@Dozi do you have at least your rear mufflers stored somewhere? You should get those installed, initially they are responsible for creating the nice note. Cutting PE to a straight pipe was a really bad move...
Ideally get back on mufflers and mid resonator (can do without it). Comparing it to C63 doesn't make sense, since V8 product different note and frequency compared to V6.

What you should get to keep your exhaust louder is to install ASR Module or Renntech to control the OEM exhaust flaps.
Normally exhaust flaps are open only about 30% and they do open/close depending on how you drive. Pedal to the floor = flap open to 100%.
With aforementioned modules you can force the car to open the flaps to 100% all the time even with idling which produces a nice rumbly low rpm sounds.

ASR (Germany):

Renntech (USA):

How it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3eSR6Hbns4
Unfortunately OP doesn't have the PE : ( otherwise your method would had helped OP a lot.
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:20 AM

MB C43
@W205C43PFL oh my bad, somehow I've read that he's got the PE
Anyway I'll leave it here for other searching how to make their exhausts louder
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

@W205C43PFL oh my bad, somehow I've read that he's got the PE
Anyway I'll leave it here for other searching how to make their exhausts louder
Thanks for chiming in though, your post will likely help others as well!
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:12 AM

Mercedes C43

ASR (Germany):

Renntech (USA):

How it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3eSR6Hbns4
I found the performance exhaust on a c43 that someone is parting out after it was totaled. He said he’ll ship it for $800 total. Would this be a good move? I know if I put my stock sport exhaust mufflers back on I probably will think it is too quiet and won’t be satisfied. Which would then make me wanna spend more money to figure out a solution. Whereas if I just spend more money upfront and get the PE exhaust installed, I know it will sound amazing. And $800 for the PE is sort of a bargain compared to any other aftermarket exhaust system for the c43.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Dozi
I found the performance exhaust on a c43 that someone is parting out after it was totaled. He said he’ll ship it for $800 total. Would this be a good move? I know if I put my stock sport exhaust mufflers back on I probably will think it is too quiet and won’t be satisfied. Which would then make me wanna spend more money to figure out a solution. Whereas if I just spend more money upfront and get the PE exhaust installed, I know it will sound amazing. And $800 for the PE is sort of a bargain compared to any other aftermarket exhaust system for the c43.
See if these threads help you:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...installed.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-complete.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...8-c43-amg.html
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:24 AM

MB C43
@Dozi that's what I did. My C43 didn't had the Performance Exhaust so I've bought one and installed ASR module to control the flaps with remote in case I want to make it quiet on longer highway rides.
Sounds awesome for me, definitely turn heads, have a really loud and rumbly cold starts.

Performance Exhaust is the best exhaust you can get for C43, especially for $800 it will be hard to beat. All other aftermarket exhausts like AWE might be louder but the note is not that great compared to PE.
Default sport exhaust is very underwhelming it only sounds decent on cold start in S+ and when pushed really hard. Every other time the car sounds like some basic C Class.

If you go for it, make sure the exhaust comes with all the clamps and bolts to connect center part with mufflers.

I've managed to buy PE in my country for around $650 and sold my sport exhaust month later for $400 to someone abroad...
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:57 AM

Mercedes C43
@Dozi that's what I did. My C43 didn't had the Performance Exhaust so I've bought one and installed ASR module to control the flaps with remote in case I want to make it quiet on longer highway rides.
Sounds awesome for me, definitely turn heads, have a really loud and rumbly cold starts.

Performance Exhaust is the best exhaust you can get for C43, especially for $800 it will be hard to beat. All other aftermarket exhausts like AWE might be louder but the note is not that great compared to PE.
Default sport exhaust is very underwhelming it only sounds decent on cold start in S+ and when pushed really hard. Every other time the car sounds like some basic C Class.

If you go for it, make sure the exhaust comes with all the clamps and bolts to connect center part with mufflers.

I've managed to buy PE in my country for around $650 and sold my sport exhaust month later for $400 to someone abroad...
Did the PE install easily with no problems? Also if I first install it without the valve module, can I install the module later on?
Old 11-08-2022, 12:04 PM

MB C43
@Dozi I gave it to the local's workshop, it was fairly straightforward - they just had to weld extra hanger for centre part.
You can install it without the module, maybe you'll don't even need one if you are after loud exhausts?
The exhaust flaps will need to be manually opened before install and that's it. If you ever decide to go with the module, you just pull the connecting cables through the hole in the trunk, plug two connectors behind the bumper and tap the module into the fusebox to get power.

I only went for module because I use C43 as my daily with family and PE with flaps opened might be too loud on the motorway even in Comfort. With flaps closed it's virtually silent, so I can have best of both worlds whenever I need to. But if you are after constant, aggressive sound ignore the module and get the exhaust fitted asap.
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 12:19 PM

Mercedes C43
@Dozi I gave it to the local's workshop, it was fairly straightforward - they just had to weld extra hanger for centre part.
You can install it without the module, maybe you'll don't even need one if you are after loud exhausts?
The exhaust flaps will need to be manually opened before install and that's it. If you ever decide to go with the module, you just pull the connecting cables through the hole in the trunk, plug two connectors behind the bumper and tap the module into the fusebox to get power.

I only went for module because I use C43 as my daily with family and PE with flaps opened might be too loud on the motorway even in Comfort. With flaps closed it's virtually silent, so I can have best of both worlds whenever I need to. But if you are after constant, aggressive sound ignore the module and get the exhaust fitted asap.
Thanks for all your input, very helpful. If I go for the PE exhaust I won’t even get a module and instead save myself $580. I’m already fully straight piped so having the PE exhaust with the valve fully opened will be perfectly fine for me. Although being able to make it quieter would be very nice for cold starts in early mornings; so I won’t bother neighbors, but I like to hear nice cold starts anyway.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Dozi
Thanks for all your input, very helpful. If I go for the PE exhaust I won’t even get a module and instead save myself $580. I’m already fully straight piped so having the PE exhaust with the valve fully opened will be perfectly fine for me. Although being able to make it quieter would be very nice for cold starts in early mornings; so I won’t bother neighbors, but I like to hear nice cold starts anyway.
There is also this (you need two) which you can use if you don't need to constantly adjust it just that if you do need to adjust it, you need to crawl under the vehicle, hopefully the highway drone from the PE's valves fully opened won't be too overwhelming if you decided to keep it open all the time.
https://burgertuning.com/collections...r-bypass-plugs
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

OP, ASR is the original equipment manufacturer of the "ASR module", Renntech just rebrands (I guess licensed from ASR) to sell in the USA and therefore charges (double?) the amount, ASR-component.de actually ships to USA in most States I heard. The checkout page is in German but you can always translate it and you could contact Michael if you need assistance at info@asr-component.de
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hmmm, here is one more option I found that you could also consider: https://www.active-sound.eu/de/merce...appensteuerung

Edit: Sorry OP, didn't realize this requires the factory button to control basically instead of partially open at low RPM with the button by default from factory, pressing the button now opens it 100% at any RPM range.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-08-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Dozi (11-08-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 07:41 PM

Mercedes C43
Shooting Flames

Hello everyone, I didn’t end up getting the performance exhaust replica because the man selling it was trying to scam. I was thinking about putting my stock non PE exhaust mufflers back on, but I felt that it would make it too quiet. Maybe I was wrong and it may have sounded loud enough and good, but I ended up installing a high flow resonator/muffler on my c43 that has a the stock sport exhaust.

I now currently have a muffler delete, stock resonator delete, CTS turbo’s catless downpipes, a shops high flow resonator in the middle of the exhaust system, and a stage 2 eurocharged tune. The high flow resonator that I installed has helped greatly with the rasp and has made it slightly quieter to where it’s not as obnoxious, which is what I wanted and it sounds good enough overall. It still doesn’t sound exactly how I would like but that won’t be possible unless I get a full aftermarket exhaust system such as the logos engineering performance exhaust replica. But I don’t want to spend that much money so what I have now will do.

The tune has been running fine as well. But after a few days of running the tune, my neighbor noticed a flame come out when I popped right by him. I didn’t notice it before because I haven’t had anyone see my car from the outside until now. The tune I have the eurocharged stage 2 with a burble tune, not with a flame tune. But it is shooting flames. I am wondering if the flames are bad for my car and if it will cause any damage. Or will the only negative side effect be worse gas mileage. Here are some clips of the car.
Attached Files
IMG_4317.MOV (3.50 MB, 29 views)
IMG_4316.MOV (4.13 MB, 15 views)