Sponsored by:

OEM button on retrofitted Performance Exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 05:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Smile OEM button on retrofitted Performance Exhaust installed

After installing the U78 AMG Performance Exhaust and activating the original valves, they were controlled from the remote controls from ASR. In general, the process was OK, but not entirely convenient. Remotes were always lost around the cabin. I had to lose focus on the road to find the remote control and press the button. Often this process distracted my attention. And yes, it didn't look very good. I wanted a more convenient solution, such as in the original version where the button is installed in the center console.

ASR remote controls.

I found out that one of the local garages learned how to connect Chinese valves with the original button through a programmable control unit. Since my valves are original, the installation and connection process is different. The guys agreed to try and I began to act.

The console with buttons was found and purchased.

A2059050314 — the part number of OEM button with exhaust indicator.

The button itself. Looks gorgeous.

The process is not as easy as it seems. It was necessary to somehow "connect" the ASR control unit and the button in the console. As I understand, this is done through an optionally purchased control unit, which must be configured correctly. This block should give a signal to the valves when the button in the console is physically pressed. Moreover, it was necessary to change the process of operation of the motor inside the valves, since only the original control unit, which is missing, can send a signal to the regular ones. Of course, it was possible to find the control unit, it will be hardly possible to program it like at the factory - and this is not necessary.

The car is delivered for the installation.

I was warned that the process might not be fast, because the guys had not worked with the original valves before. This procedure has already been done, but with Chinese valves. There, the algorithm is slightly different. As I understand, the point is the transfer of data from the motors, which are obviously programmed to work exclusively with the head unit from Mercedes. I had to wait for the necessary additional component for about 5 days.

A few photos of the installation process with explanations:

This is what the block of buttons looks like uncovered.

A block of buttons inserted into the console.

The back of the console with a soldered plug to which the additional unit will be connected.

We had to slightly modify the original valves to work in this scheme. Namely, open them and replace the motors. Bring out the wires for control.

After replacing the motors, you need to align the springs as it was before they were removed. To do this, you need to photograph them BEFORE making adjustments

Wiring inside the car.

The video how it works inside:

Troubles also happened...
After the complete assembly of the entire system and the installation of the panel in place, the button indication sensor stopped working after 1 minute of turning on the ignition. They thought that it had burned out, but it turned out that there was a conflict in the system from a different voltage supply during the start of the ignition. I had to come back and replace the LED indicator light. The light bulb was matched 1 to 1 to the original, including the color.

The result:

I am very pleased with the work done. No matter how much I reviewed everything, including many forums / communities - few people manage to do such work. Thanks to garage owner and his team for the work and interesting experience. I hope this article will be useful for the same enthusiasts who want to retrofit PE and install OEM button to control the valves.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
Hi,
Great work, read all your posts about retrofitting your pe.

I also have the performance exhausts retrofitted on my 2017 c43. I’m based in Hong Kong, so I was able to have people with the know-how to install the console button valve control. My only problem is that I wish to to open my valves manually most of the time. Currently my valves open partially only below a certain rpm. (the percentage of valve flap opening is set automatically) would you have any suggestions for this problem? I even bought the asr module rx1, but figured it’s not possible to install it on my retrofit exhaust system.

keep up the good work!
Old 11-03-2022, 02:17 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Originally Posted by mercjimmy
Hi,

I also have the performance exhausts retrofitted on my 2017 c43. I’m based in Hong Kong, so I was able to have people with the know-how to install the console button valve control. My only problem is that I wish to to open my valves manually most of the time. Currently my valves open partially only below a certain rpm. (the percentage of valve flap opening is set automatically) would you have any suggestions for this problem? I even bought the asr module rx1, but figured it’s not possible to install it on my retrofit exhaust system.

keep up the good work!
Thanks for the cheer-up! ) It's great that you went the same way and got PE installed. I hope you are happy with how it sounds. In my opinion, Performance Exhaust has the best sound for our V6 motors.

The first thing for you to do is to figure out how to properly connect the ASR module to the valves using the remote. This will give you the ability to either 100% open or 100% close the valves. The ASR module should work with any PE exhaust, whether it is uplifted or not. How exactly did you figure it was not possible? Did you follow the instructions from ASR? I attached them in German. You can use google translate. I wrote another threat for activating valves with ASR. You can read it here. Did you go the same way?

My only guess for the reason it does not work is that your "people with the know-how" somehow installed the module, which connects to the valves and the "brains" of the car. The one that adjusts the percentage of opening at different RPM. If they did this, I would say they are geniuses. I did not see anyone who was able to install this module along with retrofitted PE. I wanted to do the same in the beginning, but I could not find anyone locally, so I went with the ASR solution first. Later, with a custom solution that connects the button in the console to the valves. I found a technician who was able to do it himself using custom-build system. Rare people. But they do exist.

Let me know more information, so I can try to help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
KN1_Anleitung_Deutsch.pdf (463.0 KB, 284 views)
Old 11-03-2022, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MB C43
Originally Posted by mercjimmy
Hi,

keep up the good work!
I wish to have partial control of opening with ASR module (or anything else) I feel like either 100% opening is too much sometimes and 100% closed is not enough. Would love to have like 50% option or even replace 0% with 50%...

@Yuriy_Moscow it's great you have those people around, seems a bit complicated process to do without prior knowledge. Would love to do the same to mine.

Btw how do find your PE with 100% fully opened? I retrofitted mine to pre-fl and driving around, with small throttle 1,5-2k rpm, or on highway with 120-140km/h is really loud with some humming noise. Outside of that it sounds awesome, but I can't do highway driving even in Comfort mode with flaps fully opened.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:00 PM

c43
Originally Posted by Yuriy_Moscow
Thanks for the cheer-up! ) It's great that you went the same way and got PE installed. I hope you are happy with how it sounds. In my opinion, Performance Exhaust has the best sound for our V6 motors.

The first thing for you to do is to figure out how to properly connect the ASR module to the valves using the remote. This will give you the ability to either 100% open or 100% close the valves. The ASR module should work with any PE exhaust, whether it is uplifted or not. How exactly did you figure it was not possible? Did you follow the instructions from ASR? I attached them in German. You can use google translate. I wrote another threat for activating valves with ASR. You can read it here. Did you go the same way?

My only guess for the reason it does not work is that your "people with the know-how" somehow installed the module, which connects to the valves and the "brains" of the car. The one that adjusts the percentage of opening at different RPM. If they did this, I would say they are geniuses. I did not see anyone who was able to install this module along with retrofitted PE. I wanted to do the same in the beginning, but I could not find anyone locally, so I went with the ASR solution first. Later, with a custom solution that connects the button in the console to the valves. I found a technician who was able to do it himself using custom-build system. Rare people. But they do exist.

Let me know more information, so I can try to help you.

The previous owner of the car actually did all the dirty work for me and retrofitted the performance exhaust. Hence Im not 100% sure of the whole process. I’ve attached some photos of another car, but installed the exhaust in the same way as mine. (installed by the same company)
I also bought the ASR RX1, which i believe is different to yours. Guess that’s a waste then 🤣.
I assume my exhaust currently opens fully on cold starts (cause it’s much louder) then closes to a certain percentage after a few seconds (the noises reduces significantly). let me know your thoughts and if you think the correct asr module can still be installed to my car. appreciate it!
Old 11-03-2022, 02:02 PM

c43
Originally Posted by AMGSOME
I wish to have partial control of opening with ASR module (or anything else) I feel like either 100% opening is too much sometimes and 100% closed is not enough. Would love to have like 50% option or even replace 0% with 50%...

@Yuriy_Moscow it's great you have those people around, seems a bit complicated process to do without prior knowledge. Would love to do the same to mine.

Btw how do find your PE with 100% fully opened? I retrofitted mine to pre-fl and driving around, with small throttle 1,5-2k rpm, or on highway with 120-140km/h is really loud with some humming noise. Outside of that it sounds awesome, but I can't do highway driving even in Comfort mode with flaps fully opened.
I think the kristonics module mentioned in previous posts control the percentage of opening. asr is either 100% or 0% closed flaps
Old 11-03-2022, 02:32 PM

MB C43
@mercjimmy wow, this has to be first time I'm hearing that someone retrofitted PE with the OEM AMG module and switch. This had to very complex work, especially connecting the module to the original loom... Would love to do that, but don't know or know anyone that know

Your ASR module should work just fine with PE. The original operation of AMG module is that the valve open on startup and then close. Afterwards it's opening angle is based on few variables which this AMG module is reading i.e RPM, throttle position, Driving Mode, Gear. With ASR RX1 it should override so in Mode "1" flaps are always opened to 100%. Maybe because your AMG module is retrofitted is the reason it's not working properly.

It's very interesting that they install this black box with part no: A0009011107 which is "Automatic Gearbox ECU" and not install the silver one apparently responsible for valve operation (I've looked on their Facebook page) and it seems to work just fine based on your example... So maybe the flaps operations are actually controlled by the Gearbox ECU?

Last edited by AMGSOME; 11-03-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:19 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
@mercjimmy According to the ASR website, it seems like that your ASR RX1 module should work with your car since you have a pre-facelift C43. Is that right?
C43 AMG 205 Sedan / Coupe / T-Model / Cabrio (ONLY for pre-facelift models)
My ASR module is different because I have uplifed C43 (late 2018 model).

I would suggest you go to the same shop where they installed your retrofitted setup and ask them to disconnect the module (Small black box from the picture you provided) and connect the ASR RX1 module instead, following my instructions attached above. You can show them pictures from my thread also. They should be able to understand how to do it easily.

However, your original button on the console will stop working. But, you will be able to control the valves with the remotes provided by ASR. That way, it will be either 100% open or 100% close. I believe this is what you wanted.

The next step would be to link the ASR module to the button. But this is a different story Go step-by-step.

Last edited by Yuriy_Moscow; 11-04-2022 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:29 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
@AMGSOME 90% of the time, I drive with the valves 100% open. I don't have any discomfort in the city at all. In terms of 1.5–2k rpm, it does not really bother me either. I enjoy the sound from inside the cabin. On a highway, though, it does have the humming noise you mentioned. When I drive 100–120 km/h constantly, I close the valves. Also, when I drive with my wife and my daughter, I usually close them since they both don't like the sound, unfortunately

And yes, you are right. ASR is either 100% open or closed. The only way to make this percentage % adjustable is to modify the Kristronicss module. I haven't seen anyonee who has been able to do it so far.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:47 AM

MB C43
@Yuriy_Moscow yeah I drive with it open all the time as well, but I've got same issue with my wife and daughter - my wife doesn't like it it that much I'm planning to put some sound dampening layers in the trunk (especially in this ****ty. empty plastic area that replaced the spare tire and also entire trunk floor) to maybe lessen the humming and enjoy driving with flaps open all the time.

But did you noticed what I've posted above? The guys that retrofitted @mercjimmy P exhaust didn't install the Kistronics module. They seem to install only the new/updated TCU - part A2139004119
I've checked on their FB and for all C43 they show the same list of parts. No Kistronics module is visible, but you can see Transmission Control Module... Which makes me wonder if TCU is the one controlling the value of the flap opening, and Kistronics do other stuff - like exhaust banks, overruns etc. Interesting stuff, because maybe it's easier to retrofit than it looks?

Facebook Post

Last edited by AMGSOME; 11-04-2022 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:03 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
@AMGSOME I believe that sound dampening would partly work. But it can also affect the way you hear the exhaust yourself. Why don't you want to install the ASR module? That way, when you drive with your family, you can completely switch it off.

With regards to the TCU...Wow! Yeah, I can see that it is indeed a different module. It seems like they figured out how to make it work with the TCU part by programming it. Anyhow, I think it was not that easy from their side. Maybe @mercjimmy can contact them and ask how exactly it was done and share it with us! Would be really interesting.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:19 AM

MB C43
@Yuriy_Moscow I do have ASR module but I find it to quiet with flaps closed - like driving electric car so I try to avoid that I'm also thinking of physically blocking the flaps in the pipe, so for example they would only close by 50% or 80% instead of 100% so I can get still some noise form exhaust. Not sure how physical blockage would affect the actuator that wouldn't be able to operate in full motion... I even contacted ASR to see if they would be able to provide a custom variation so the flaps operate between 50% and 100% but they can't do it. The signal can either fully open or fully close the flaps.

Also I've found recently an OBD2 controller that would be able to control the flaps based on the RPM, Speed or Boost so for example the flaps would open only above 3-4K rpm, but again it's not ideal because when driving in town the flaps would be closed most of the time.
https://www.shadowmotor.com.tw/en/pr...ontroller.html

As for the TCU, those guys seem know their stuff - I've seen they also retrofit digital clusters which is still pretty much rare in Europe or US. I'm wondering if they are installing TCU that has coded PE support and connect the flaps directly from TCU to PE or how exactly does it work. The wire loom on one of the pictures look like it has actuator plugs and naked cables on the other side that might be going into empty slots in TCU plug? Would be awesome to learn that

Last edited by AMGSOME; 11-04-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:57 AM

c43
I think they definitely know their stuff, they retrofit a lot of products from digital clusters, to burmester audio, to u78 exhaust. all using factory pieces apparently. i also get these pops and crackles as i step off the throttle which i believe could be part of the original amg written program. even buy pressing the exhaust button itself, it activates the pop and crackles overrun, if you get what i mean
Old 11-08-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
How much did whole process cost?
Old 11-10-2022, 03:00 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Originally Posted by anomen
How much did whole process cost?
ASR module was also 246 euro + shipping (but not really needed anymore with my setup).
OEM button on the center console around 80$.
The new custom-block to connect the valves to the button + the work was around 500$.
Performance exhaust around 1250$.
Maybe I forgot something, but total about 2000$.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:40 AM

2017 C43 Coupe
Could you provide where you bought custom block?

Originally Posted by Yuriy_Moscow
ASR module was also 246 euro + shipping (but not really needed anymore with my setup).
OEM button on the center console around 80$.
The new custom-block to connect the valves to the button + the work was around 500$.
Performance exhaust around 1250$.
Maybe I forgot something, but total about 2000$.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:25 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
how just wanna follow up from where you got button and block
Could you provide where you bought custom block?
Old 12-22-2022, 02:06 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
how just wanna follow up from where you got button and block
Sorry, did not see your message.

The button is available to buy at any Mercedes dealer or third party websites.
Search for A2059050314 part. It is an original Mercedes part.

A custom block is built and programmed locally. There are no part numbers. I know that schawe-shop.de has the same "kit" with button + block on their website. Have a look here: https://schawe-shop.de/en/mercedes-b...mber=SW12965.1
It is a little overpriced in my opinion, but you should get the same result.