Sponsored by:

2019 C43 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 02:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 W205 C43 Sedan
Question 2019 C43 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

I have a growling sound that's coming from the right rear of the car and I am assuming this is the wheel bearing. Has anyone replaced the rear wheel bearing on their C43 before? Is it just the 4 torx bolts (red) and the axle nut that goes where indicated (blue) that need to be removed? Can this be done without removing the whole steering knuckle? I'd assume the caliper and rotor have to come off at least.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:32 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
How many miles/km are on your car?

You should not have an bearing related issues until your car reaches very high miles/km.

In the case of the removing the wheel bearing, it's not heard but it's hard to remove the bearing from the hub. I tried to do the same on my B200 but once I removed the 4 bolts, the hub just came out but also the bearing with it. From what I found out is that the bearing needs to be removed from the hub with a bearing removal tool. The problem with this is that even if you have the tool, the only thing holding the hub are those 4 bolts and the bearing is one time use, so it's pressed in once it's bolted on.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:58 PM

2019 W205 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
How many miles/km are on your car?

You should not have an bearing related issues until your car reaches very high miles/km.

In the case of the removing the wheel bearing, it's not heard but it's hard to remove the bearing from the hub. I tried to do the same on my B200 but once I removed the 4 bolts, the hub just came out but also the bearing with it. From what I found out is that the bearing needs to be removed from the hub with a bearing removal tool. The problem with this is that even if you have the tool, the only thing holding the hub are those 4 bolts and the bearing is one time use, so it's pressed in once it's bolted on.
I currently have 72,000kms but I forgot to mention I slid into a curb during this past Friday's snow fall . The growling appears around 60km/h, gets to its loudest around 80-100km/h especially when decelerating, but anything past that the noise gets quieter. I haven't noticed if it gets louder when turning and putting more load to the right side of the car. I jacked up the rear end and tested the wheel for any side to side or up and down play but it was solid. I'm assuming the caliper, rotor, and all other suspension components mask play if there is any. The rim is curbed, no tire sidewall damage or leaks, no vibration. I know I will need an alignment but I doubt the alignment will fix the growling which leads to my conclusion on thinking it's the wheel bearing.

Last edited by Prodbyjr; 03-26-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
Originally Posted by Prodbyjr
Has anyone replaced the rear wheel bearing on their C43 before? ... Can this be done without removing the whole steering knuckle?
Did I miss out on optional all-wheel-steering? Maybe I'm just missing out on some terminology or fundamental info about how our cars are built?
Old 03-29-2024, 06:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Think you are on the right track...I would also assume bearings....am mech inclined but would not want to try anything you gotta punch... pull or press. I kinda got same issue albeit without the curb strike. Am at 107 000 kms now.
Let us know how things turn out after you replace the bearings.
Thx and good luck
Old 04-19-2024, 07:17 PM

2019 W205 C43 Sedan
I have a growling sound that's coming from the right rear of the car and I am assuming this is the wheel bearing. Has anyone replaced the rear wheel bearing on their C43 before? Is it just the 4 torx bolts (red) and the axle nut that goes where indicated (blue) that need to be removed? Can this be done without removing the whole steering knuckle? I'd assume the caliper and rotor have to come off at least.

Ended up replacing the wheel hub bearing assembly and the noise is gone. Had to remove the 2 caliper bolts, move the caliper out of the way, remove the 4 torx bolts (red) for the wheel hub bearing assembly, and remove the axle nut (blue) to replace it.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:30 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Ended up replacing the wheel hub bearing assembly and the noise is gone. Had to remove the 2 caliper bolts, move the caliper out of the way, remove the 4 torx bolts (red) for the wheel hub bearing assembly, and remove the axle nut (blue) to replace it.
That sounds simple, but did you have to remove any of the suspension components to get to the 4 hub bolts (torx); if you have a swivel head socket, will it suffice?

Also, assuming the axle-hub splines are not seized, did you require a press and bearing puller to install/reinstall the hub?

Last edited by jonathan358; 06-17-2024 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by jonathan358
That sounds simple, but did you have to remove any of the suspension components to get to the 4 hub bolts (torx); if you have a swivel head socket, will it suffice?

Also, assuming the axle-hub splines are not seized, did you require a press and bearing puller to install/reinstall the hub?
None of the 4matic wheel hub/bearing assemblies (front or rear) are pressed into the spindles.

If the car has been in a harsh northern environment (or salt water coastal potentially) you may need a hub puller to separate it from the CV axle end.
The following users liked this post:
jonathan358 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by TwoC400s
None of the 4matic wheel hub/bearing assemblies (front or rear) are pressed into the spindles.

If the car has been in a harsh northern environment (or salt water coastal potentially) you may need a hub puller to separate it from the CV axle end.
Ok sounds simple enough, thanks.

Have the triple square/XZN socket bits and 32mm axle nut socket but opted against swapping out the hub in case i needed the press.
Tbh my bearings sound and feel fine too so I left them alone. Might as well tackle it if it's a simple job then. Hopefully it's not my rear diff that's bad haha
Old 06-18-2024, 08:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Ok sounds simple enough, thanks.

Have the triple square/XZN socket bits and 32mm axle nut socket but opted against swapping out the hub in case i needed the press.
Tbh my bearings sound and feel fine too so I left them alone. Might as well tackle it if it's a simple job then. Hopefully it's not my rear diff that's bad haha
Are you hearing the same thing OP is hearing? When did you change the rear diff fluid and if it wasn't done already, It is unlikely to be bad mechanically and may be solved with fresh rear diff fluid.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:19 AM

2019 W205 C43 Sedan

A swivel head socket will work. I took it to a shop because it's just so much easier on a hoist. You also need that leverage because the bolts are fairly tight. Once you remove the 4 torx bolts you can use hammer, pry bar, or slide hammer to get it out. It was not seized on the axle-hub splines and I just replaced the whole assembly so there was no need to press anything out.
The following users liked this post:
jonathan358 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Are you hearing the same thing OP is hearing? When did you change the rear diff fluid and if it wasn't done already, It is unlikely to be bad mechanically and may be solved with fresh rear diff fluid.
Not sure what OP is hearing but it's the typical differential whining sound but a LOT worse now over the years. May be unbalanced drive shaft as well, might update if the hubs that i plan on tackling in the next few days don't fix the issue. Gear fluid won't fix it, I frequently change it out.

A swivel head socket will work. I took it to a shop because it's just so much easier on a hoist. You also need that leverage because the bolts are fairly tight. Once you remove the 4 torx bolts you can use hammer, pry bar, or slide hammer to get it out. It was not seized on the axle-hub splines and I just replaced the whole assembly so there was no need to press anything out.
Gotcha, thanks for confirming. And yeah, having a hoist would probably pay off considering the amount of work/time I am under the car. Saving my temple from aches > a couple thousand on an in-home lift for sure haha. Or I can work on trusting my mechanic too
Old 06-18-2024, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Not sure what OP is hearing but it's the typical differential whining sound but a LOT worse now over the years. May be unbalanced drive shaft as well, might update if the hubs that i plan on tackling in the next few days don't fix the issue. Gear fluid won't fix it, I frequently change it out.

Gotcha, thanks for confirming. And yeah, having a hoist would probably pay off considering the amount of work/time I am under the car. Saving my temple from aches > a couple thousand on an in-home lift for sure haha. Or I can work on trusting my mechanic too
Yes the whining rear differential is a common issue for our cars, but after going through many replacements and actually analyzing the fluid sample, everything looked good. I realized it is just an annoyance and it is mechanically reliable, plus it stops whining completely when the vehicle is warmed up. I am sorry to hear that you are getting such a loud whining, I wonder if our front differentials and centre differentials needs servicing as well?

When did you last do your transmission fluid, what about transfer case?