M5board member dissappointed after driving in new M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
M5board member dissappointed after driving in new M3

This member from Sweden test drove the new V8 M3 and did not really have too many favorable things to say about it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=101739

It looks like the C63 is going to start a new niche up and above this new M3 will be my prediction based on reports.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are some pics a member took of one in Cali. Good quwestion came up: Why no carbon Fiber roof as was promised?

http://www.hybridhunnyz.com/free/mai...g2_itemId=3724

http://www.hybridhunnyz.com/free/mai...g2_itemId=3755

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1123389

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-16-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
It seems as if BMW softened this version up another notch to attract a larger slice of the market. The hardcore ones will still wait for the CSL, but for me it's hard to justify a CSL compared to say, a 911 as both are at the same price point. The acceleration also leaves something to be desired since he stated than an E46 with LC will smoke it.

So AMG is hardening while M is softening up. Brilliant.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
The carbon fiber roof is an option. You can get it with either a solid carbon fiber roof or a metal roof with sunroof.

I've been reading reviews since late June and it seems like there are more negatives than positives. Its like people are trying to justify why they like the M3 by saying how nice it sounds at redline.

I truly believe that the C63 is the M3's nemesis and will give the M3 a spanking.

I can't see getting the new M3 over a used M5 or M6 (should be about the same price when the new M3 comes out) as the M5/M6 seem to be in a totally different category.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I can't see getting the new M3 over a used M5 or M6 (should be about the same price when the new M3 comes out) as the M5/M6 seem to be in a totally different category.
Good point! I agree.

It seems to me that most M3 guys are ready for the next level. If new M3 does not deliver it, a lot of them will either keep current M3s or will go into 2-3 year old M5s or Porsches. There are very few M3 guys who would consider AMG, most are fierceily loyal to BMW and see AMG as the dark side.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I don't believe the negatives are truely negatives though...

I think people were expecting that BMW would keep trying to focus the M3, and their expectations were not met. I still think it will be a great car, though the AMG will probably win the hearts drivers this time around.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
The carbon fiber roof is an option. You can get it with either a solid carbon fiber roof or a metal roof with sunroof.

I've been reading reviews since late June and it seems like there are more negatives than positives. Its like people are trying to justify why they like the M3 by saying how nice it sounds at redline.

I truly believe that the C63 is the M3's nemesis and will give the M3 a spanking.

The M3 is an iconic car. Expectations are going to be high and reviewers have been very nitpicky. So if it's even close in the handling dept. the C63 will take the crown.
As far as buying a used M5/M6 is concerned they're not the same type of car. So if you're looking for the feel of an M3 both those two will seem a bit heavy.

Last edited by chiphomme; 08-20-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Almost a Member!

I think the C63 AMG would attract more ex-M3 owners if it had a manual as an option... I would be the first one inline. Can you imagine a manual C63
Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I think the C63 AMG would attract more ex-M3 owners if it had a manual as an option... I would be the first one inline. Can you imagine a manual C63
Agreed, there would be a lot of converts...unfortunately Mercedes is sticking with their philosophy; however, there are rumors of a dual clutch sequential (DSG-type) manual transmission. Although this won't steer purists away from a stick shift M3, it will definitely up the performance of AMG and make the car more complete and desirable.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed, there would be a lot of converts...unfortunately Mercedes is sticking with their philosophy; however, there are rumors of a dual clutch sequential (DSG-type) manual transmission. Although this won't steer purists away from a stick shift M3, it will definitely up the performance of AMG and make the car more complete and desirable.
This is what will be different about AMG/MB's because now MB is realizing that alot of folks want a sportier car. Something that BMW might be slightly going away from when it comes to the US market.

Ex: Black series cars(CLK,SLK) and the C63

I think it will only get better!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
I love how people are continuously bagging on this car and posting every negative opinion that they can find... and fail to mention the many positive reviews its already garnered.

all of these "reviews" are subjective and many of them are based off of sheer speculation.

so, in the sense of the first post "OMG someone on M3post tested it out and saw it in person and loved it!":
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=76730:dance:

and I may not be able to understand german, but I think the reviewer was sufficiently "impressed" by it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-xq3PpSIeY

oh and after I was FINALLY able to read the m5board post, it looks like that OP on m5board changed his tune after more seat time:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...09&postcount=6
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by nlpamg
I love how people are continuously bagging on this car and posting every negative opinion that they can find... and fail to mention the many positive reviews its already garnered.

all of these "reviews" are subjective and many of them are based off of sheer speculation.

so, in the sense of the first post "OMG someone on M3post tested it out and saw it in person and loved it!":
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=76730:dance:

and I may not be able to understand german, but I think the reviewer was sufficiently "impressed" by it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-xq3PpSIeY

oh and after I was FINALLY able to read the m5board post, it looks like that OP on m5board changed his tune after more seat time:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...09&postcount=6
I don't think this car is a disaster. I actually think its a hot car and I had a deposit down on one! But the problem with all of the reviews is that there seem to be more negatives than positives, including how it lost to an RS4. The high revving V8 is amazing. The carbon fiber roof is sweet. And I think it looks beautiful. But it just didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would. It didn't have that "woah " affect I thought it would.
The C63 on the other hand...
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
I don't think this car is a disaster. I actually think its a hot car and I had a deposit down on one! But the problem with all of the reviews is that there seem to be more negatives than positives, including how it lost to an RS4. The high revving V8 is amazing. The carbon fiber roof is sweet. And I think it looks beautiful. But it just didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would. It didn't have that "woah " affect I thought it would.
The C63 on the other hand...
how did it lose to an RS4? it took the RS4 in the 'Ring and finished faster than the RS4 and R8 while using stock tires.

I still have my deposit on it. once I saw it in person, that's what sealed the deal for me. the C63 didn't have the same affect (since it looked like a C350 with the AMG package).
Old 08-21-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Here are some pics a member took of one in Cali. Good quwestion came up: Why no carbon Fiber roof as was promised?

http://www.hybridhunnyz.com/free/mai...g2_itemId=3724

http://www.hybridhunnyz.com/free/mai...g2_itemId=3755

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1123389
Yep - still hideous.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 AM

C32
Originally Posted by nlpamg
how did it lose to an RS4? it took the RS4 in the 'Ring and finished faster than the RS4 and R8 while using stock tires.

I still have my deposit on it. once I saw it in person, that's what sealed the deal for me. the C63 didn't have the same affect (since it looked like a C350 with the AMG package).
I saw a mildly camouflaged car in person in the Presidio in person, and it didn't do much for me. Frankly, it doesn't look aggressive enough. I'll bet it will still be C and D's darling for years to come. I will however, reserve judgement until I drive one in person.

But what do you expect when you come on a C63 forum, people raving about the M3?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
It lost in a comparison I read on m3post...They said both cars were almost evenly matched but they gave it to the Audi for a nice interior or something.

I don't think the M3's styling is that magnificent over the 335i.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 AM

I don't think the new M3 will age well. The original M3 has aged well but look at the 6 cylinder car that came after that, it has not aged well at all and now when you see them they looked tired and tatty and not very expensive. The C43 W202 has aged a lot better, even more so now that the new version has gone back to square headlights.

The M3 that has just been replaced will probably age well, it's a good looking car, but this new one seems to have too much cheap looking plastic around the front. Imagine that in 6 years time when it is faded and stone chipped by the 3rd owner.

By all accounts the new V8 they have is fantastic, nice of them to keep the essence of the lovely previous 4 and 6 cylinder engines whilst going to 8, however it seems the steering feel has gone down yet another notch from the original car. Brakes may or may not be iffy too. Certainly cannot be considered a bad car though, it's very hard to justify expectations though.
Regards

Andy
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
On more thing to note...

When it was C55 vs E46 M3, you had the C55 with a slight horsepower advantage and a huge torque advantage. The M3 would spank it in the handling and steering department.

With the C63 vs E92 M3 its the same thing, a little more power and a lot more torque, but this time around the E92's handling and steering hasn't gotten any better (some state it to even be worse than that E46) and the C63 has totally stepped up and made a huge improvement on steering/handling.

I think the C63 has a chance of beating the E92 M3 around the 'Ring this time.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 PM

c24
+1

+1