C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Nissan GTR vs C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A6
It is looking more and more like the new GT-R is not only in the top tier in performance, but top tier in build quality and chassis refinement/dynamics.

I would not count on the interior to be low quality.

And the GT-R is not a hopped up Z. It has a totally different chassis, interior, engine, etc. Unlike the C63.

Here are a few excerpts from initial reviews of the GT-R.

Edmunds

Balance and body control of the GT-R are extraordinary through faster,
bumpy bends that will have the 911 unsettled enough to make the driver lose confidence.

It all seems superbly well screwed together, as you'd expect of a Nissan,
and the quality of the materials is high.

It's a big, solid car you can rely on when the going gets tricky,

Automobile

we immediately noticed the GT-R's stiff structure and suspension setup.

While stiff, the GT-R reveals a level of dampening and overall suspension feel that few other cars carry. From the ultra precise and intuitive
steering to the powerful brakes, the GT-R is able to maintain over-the-road speed that will, hold on for this, likely embarrass nearly every
other production car in the world. Even with the adjustable Bilstein dampers in their stiffest setting, the GT-R is never harsh and it soaks up
potholes and frost heaves like a rally car. Body control, front-end grip, overall balance, engine response,
and transmission shift speed all come together to yield a mega car with a mega pace.

Overall, the car feels very secure and fast with a well-balanced chassis.

Car (UK)

There is none of the styling poetry of a Porsche or, even more, a Ferrari, but the Nissan is bank-vault solidly built

AutoCar (UK)

As for the interior, it makes you wonder just how heavily Porsche relies on its reputation to charge as much as it does for a 911 Turbo.
The GT-R is as well made if not better than the Porsche inside

Top Gear (UK)

before you've even fired it up - via the red starter button - the GT-R communicates solidity. You can feel it in the
rim of the steering wheel, in the interior controls. It's not messing. Frankly, it feels like a truck.

Doors, seats, wheel, controls: all have a delicacy the Nissan doesn't. Some also have a flimsiness the Nissan doesn't. (in comparison to the Audi R8)

Its body control over these bumps and crests is breathtaking. You just know that this car had been meticulously engineered down to the last tiny grommet. To put it another way, it's making the R8 look very secondhand indeed.

I can see in my mirrors that Germany is struggling to keep up with Japan. When we swap, it's clear that the Audi's 59bhp power deficit isn't the only
reason why.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
yea as much as I love benzes, you guys do not have to UNDERESTIMATE this Little Gt-r!!! Its a phenomenal car, its funny how many enthusiasts all over the net are in very bad stage of denial about GT-R! Vette guys, BMW guys, Porsche guys, Ferrari guys, ETC

It just shows how good of a threat this lil GTR IS! And I do belive every number I saw so far. Its gonna be sick car, and i'm planning on owning one too.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
yea as much as I love benzes, you guys do not have to UNDERESTIMATE this Little Gt-r!!! Its a phenomenal car, its funny how many enthusiasts all over the net are in very bad stage of denial about GT-R! Vette guys, BMW guys, Porsche guys, Ferrari guys, ETC

It just shows how good of a threat this lil GTR IS! And I do belive every number I saw so far. Its gonna be sick car, and i'm planning on owning one too.

+1

The C-class guys are scrambling for some justification for their purchase, you're not going to find it comparing your car to a Japanese Z06, sorry. Not the same class of car, totally dissimilar performance, very different looks. I'll take the Nissan's Video Game interior over a plasticky C-dash any day, but exterior looks the C63 has down pat.

What you should be DIRECTLY comparing the GTR to is the Porsche Turbo.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Thus I continue my pursuit for a GT-R: https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/222302-should-i-sue-nissan-gt-r-agreement.html

In a few short years, this car should be going for under sticker (like the Z06). It will probably be the best new car you could buy for under, lets say, $160 grand. You'd have to be not to get one lol.

Imagine when the V-Spec comes out? World domination

And obviously I am a huge Benz fanatic. I am also a Porsche, BMW, Corvette, and JDM import fanatic as well . Being unbiased, I would have to say that this car is lightyears ahead of the C63 in just about every aspect. Looks are subjective, and obviously the C has a much more roomier backseat and is probably more livable. But otherwise, there is no comparison.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bensitto
I'm not looking at the leather dash. I'm looking at the cockpit as a whole. Leather on the dash might be a negative anyway seeing as how it's very hard to maintain. 10 years from now it'll be all dry & cracked up.

I know everyone has their own opinions, here's mine:

Nissan: Calls attention to the ventilation with large silver rings which takes away from the dark buttons on the center console with analog looking climate control. +1 on the large rally style gear select. Smaller GPS screen, steering wheel buttons not as easily accessable (some are way too low), center of steering wheel looks plastic. Shifter looks like any other shifter I've seen in a Nissan.

Benz: Ventilation is integrated well and doesn't call out "Hey, here I am," attention is called to the buttons, controls, digital climate control, i-drive style Command Conrtoller. Tachometer and center guages look more upscale with a minimal amount of chrome as an accent, +1 on flip-up large nav display, Steering wheel and ease of use without removing your hands are right on, +1 on the aluminum paddle shifters, shift knob with leather boot looks more upscale. Crafsmanship and functionality more thought about.

When you're in a Benz, you feel like your in a luxury car.
When you're in a Nissan your in a Nissan, Even a 75k Nissan.
I seriously doubt the US version of the C63 will get the digital climate control. it was the same story with the C55. All the Euro pics I have seen had the digital a/c however when I went to the Mb dealer they said they dont have that option here, all you could have was the analog a/c. Also I dont expect parktronic, folding mirrors, or 030. people here doesnt buy options, Mb never offers them here for that reason. even s-class doesnt get many of the euro options here.

as for the real topic

any car maker can make very fast, high tech, luxury, good looking etc.. cars. they can even make cars better than MBs, bmws, ferraris if they really want.
let me give an example. hyundai can do some research and make a great car all around at or higher than Mb standarts and lets say cheaper than MB. if its not like 5 times cheaper than MB, who do you think would pay more than 50k to a hyundai? Mb can make a bad car and sell it for 100k and people will buy it. its all about image. nissan is an affordable fine car in most people mind, not many of them will pay 80k for a nissan even if its a 911 turbo level car.
its also the reason why each japanese car makers have 2 brands names because no one would pay 80k to a toyota but if they make it a lexus and advertised it as a mercedes competitor then they will buy it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Substance
as for the real topic

any car maker can make very fast, high tech, luxury, good looking etc.. cars. they can even make cars better than MBs, bmws, ferraris if they really want.
let me give an example. hyundai can do some research and make a great car all around at or higher than Mb standarts and lets say cheaper than MB. if its not like 5 times cheaper than MB, who do you think would pay more than 50k to a hyundai? Mb can make a bad car and sell it for 100k and people will buy it. its all about image. nissan is an affordable fine car in most people mind, not many of them will pay 80k for a nissan even if its a 911 turbo level car.
its also the reason why each japanese car makers have 2 brands names because no one would pay 80k to a toyota but if they make it a lexus and advertised it as a mercedes competitor then they will buy it.

Agreed...but thats why we're car enthusiasts and we see past the big three-point star and the twin kidney grill. Nissan built a car that competes with (and beats) a $125k car for half the price. Would I rather own a 997 911 Turbo? OF COURSE...the 911 Turbo is much more "baller" and I think its sexier. But the GT-R does everything the 911 Turbo can and even takes it a step further.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM

can you believe Lotus Exige S has a supercharged toyota corolla engine in it and it can surely give a competition to C63 lol and its also much cheaper than C63. and it should be very rare, i have only seen a few lotus in my life.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
can you believe Lotus Exige S has a supercharged toyota corolla engine in it and it can surely give a competition to C63 lol and its also much cheaper than C63. and it should be very rare, i have only seen a few lotus in my life.
That's a totally ridiculous comparison. The Lotus is an all out sportscar. Probably the definition of sports car. Extremely light, quick, agile, and very raw. The C63 is a muscle-bound luxury sport sedan.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM

i see it similar looking to gt-r, similar priced as well
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
first of all why you guys even compare gt-r to a freaking C63? GT-R is coupe, AWD, and completely different league car. It needs to be compared to coupes.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 PM

06 RS4
Comparing the C63 to the GT-R is as senseless as those who compare the C63 to the S5........what's the point?

The GT-R interior isn't particularly impressive b/c this car is all about function and performance instead of style or luxury. The GT-R is a Monster! A Japanese supercar that can go heads up with the world's best and at $70,000 it's a bargain. I would have no problem finding room in my garage.

Last edited by LanuckRS4; 01-09-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Thumbs up interesting

What do you guys think is going to happen when the GT-R V-Spec comes out? It will be even better handling and faster than the already fast 3.3 second to 60 MPH standard GT-R. The magazines all say that the car not only goes extremely fast in a straight line but handles amazingly also. ECU upgrades with exhaust, etc.. will for sure put the car up over 600 HP right away and 700 HP will for sure be reached quickly too. 10 second 1/4 mile times should be no problem for ECU upgraded GT-R's.

Also, what do you guys think about the all-new Cadillac CTS-V that now will have the new ZR-1's supercharged 6.2 liter V-8? If the C63 can do 0 to 60 MPH in 3.9 seconds on street tires then the CTS-V should be able to do it in 3.5 all day long. It will cost about the same as a C63 so they say.

The choices will be tough.... C63 or CTS-V with somewhere between 550 to 620 Horsepower V-8 (ECU and pulley tuning should take it to a higher level right away also) and ofcourse the GT-R that will have massive tuning potential mostly because it is a twin-turbo engine. Interesting dilemma but one that comes to the conclusion for Mercedes that they definitely need to drop twin-turbo's on that 63 V-8 right away!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 AM

i think zr1 is going to be turbocharged 6.2 V8 620hp instead of CTS supercharged 6.2 V8 with 550hp. its in the last issue of car and driver. exact specs are not known yet but they say at least 100hp per liter. and why not the TT 7.0L? they say the internals are not strong enough for a reliable engine 6.2 has thicker internals due to less displacement.
there was an older issue comparing chevys 6.2 and 7.0L to amgs 6.2. amg was superior in every aspect except the cost. identical displacements 6.2 push rod chevy makes 430 hp vs. dohc amg 518hp. amg makes more hp and torque than much larger displacement 7.0L too and they say amg is unstressed at this 518 easly can go upto 580 in n/a form. only con was the cost 77k per motor vs. 11k for chevy motor. amg was lighter than 7.0L chevy too.

for those who will get a gt-r, what color do you want it? i like the blue and silver.
i have a question the 3.8 in the gt-r, is it bored out g35 motor or completely new engine for gt-r? i know there is a new g37 with 37xx cc engine. very high tech already. over 330hp na.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
i think zr1 is going to be turbocharged 6.2 V8 620hp instead of CTS supercharged 6.2 V8 with 550hp. its in the last issue of car and driver. exact specs are not known yet but they say at least 100hp per liter. and why not the TT 7.0L? they say the internals are not strong enough for a reliable engine 6.2 has thicker internals due to less displacement.
there was an older issue comparing chevys 6.2 and 7.0L to amgs 6.2. amg was superior in every aspect except the cost. identical displacements 6.2 push rod chevy makes 430 hp vs. dohc amg 518hp. amg makes more hp and torque than much larger displacement 7.0L too and they say amg is unstressed at this 518 easly can go upto 580 in n/a form. only con was the cost 77k per motor vs. 11k for chevy motor. amg was lighter than 7.0L chevy too.

for those who will get a gt-r, what color do you want it? i like the blue and silver.
i have a question the 3.8 in the gt-r, is it bored out g35 motor or completely new engine for gt-r? i know there is a new g37 with 37xx cc engine. very high tech already. over 330hp na.
The GT-R engine is the VR, the G37 is the VQ. The engines are VERY similiary spec'ed but they are not the same and share very little parts with eachother.

The ZR-1's engine is a supercharged LS3 motor (of course the LS3 was modified for factory boost). There are no turbos, trust me. They already released the specs on the ZR-1. Even the pics show a supercharger showing through the hood lol.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
Originally Posted by thetruth
And the GT-R is not a hopped up Z. It has a totally different chassis, interior, engine, etc. Unlike the C63.
Great first post thetruth man. (little below the belt though LOL!!)

GT-R is built to be it's own. C63 is a C class modified.

What car has monster motor in the front, tranny in the rear, 4wd, DSG chassis setup? it's a technogically innovated car that is well ahead of a C63.

Name one thing that C63 has that has anything to do with innovation.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
I don't think anyone is saying the Nissan is an inferior car. It's obviously the future of Nissan. The Japanese built a very balanced coupe that leads it's competition and is a beast on the track. We are comparing the real world usage of the car in comparison with the C63. And if people would switch brands and why? The GTR is priced over 10k more than the expected price of the C63 at expected price 60-63k.

For me I rather own a Benz over a Nissan for many factors. I feel like I'm in a Luxury car in a Benz. I'm married and have a 1yr old. Thus the GTR is not an option, not practical for the family man. C63 is an option for me but I'm waiting for the 2010 E63, hopefully twin-turbo by then...

I agree that the Nissan GTR is a track car and should be compared to the Porsche 911 T, or the Black Series CLK63. Both of those are 2 door coupes made for track usage.

The GTR will do well with single men & car collectors, who can afford the 75k base price with a 30+k mark up... And actually track their cars as a hobby.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Question to bensitto

Bensitto, since you said you have a child and so a GT-R is not practical, do you think that you and other gentlemen like yourself would consider the new Cadillac CTS-V (which will be much faster than the C63 and have more tuning potential) over the C63 then? Its going to be a four door also and have a 6 speed paddle shift transmission and brembo brakes. Interesting stuff.....

P.S. - Also guys lets not forget about next year's Audi RS6 sedan with that 5.2 liter twin-turbo V-10 with carbon ceramic brakes and AWD, Bang & Olufsen sound system, etc..
Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Sure there will be chip and exhaust tuning for the 6.2TT, but that'll be the extent of it kids. Very few people will hack up an AMG engine, but I happen to know of a few turbo kits in development for the GTR ALREADY. You will see 1,000hp GTR's on the street well before you see a 6.2 AMG even approaching those numbers.

As far as comparing the GTR to the C63, well they're not even in the same class and have completely different drivetrains and philosophies behind them, but performance-wise, there isn't any comparison. The GTR outstrips the C63 in every category, it's better compared to Porsche TT's and Z06's, more so the Z06. And don't even get into the "well you can bring the C63 up to 550hp" because you can do far more to the GTR's VR lump for far less money.
exactly. there is a LOT of prestige owning a GTR. the GTR tore up so MANY races that it was banned. now that a c63 cannot manage. there's no history behind the c class, other than mercedes spent 2 billion dollars r&d'ing the w202. still wanna talk bout prestige?

and for upping the hp on the c63? shoot, headers for the c320 already cost over 1000$, i'd hate to see how much they cost for the c63. performance parts are pretty limited, and even if there are parts, they will cost 5x more. it's no contest, GTR all the way.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by Lizard
While both cars are fast, the GTR is certainly faster.
BUT, drive the c63 and you'd be able to show up at a drag track on one night, and at a formal gala the next night and still be able to fit in well in both environments. The GTR will fit right in at the track or at a hot rod meet, but will be akward driving up to your next business meeting in.

If I was nineteen and want to impress my buddies and kill everything else on the block, I'll take the GTR.
If I was a young profesional looking for a fast yet classy car, the C63 will fits my need better.

Buy the GTR is you want to impress the guys. Buy the c63 if you want to impress the girls. They don't care how fast a Nissan is, they just see the pointed stars on a Mercedes. I know many of us don't buy cars to impress girls but it's as good a reason as any to drop 70k....
but why a c class? why not s? why not cl, clk, or heck, even an e? most people think of c classes as old asian mommy cars, it's not exactly flattering
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
I would never consider owning a cadillac, not a fan of their styling.
How will it be much faster? current CTS-V: 400HP 6speed vs. C63 457HP (detuned) 7speed?

Originally Posted by SL65amg
Bensitto, since you said you have a child and so a GT-R is not practical, do you think that you and other gentlemen like yourself would consider the new Cadillac CTS-V (which will be much faster than the C63 and have more tuning potential) over the C63 then? Its going to be a four door also and have a 6 speed paddle shift transmission and brembo brakes. Interesting stuff.....

P.S. - Also guys lets not forget about next year's Audi RS6 sedan with that 5.2 liter twin-turbo V-10 with carbon ceramic brakes and AWD, Bang & Olufsen sound system, etc..
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Exclamation We've been talking about the all-new CTS

I meant the all-new CTS-V, which will have atleast 550 horsepower and 550 lb/ft of torque with that all-new body, transmission, brakes, chassis, interior, etc..

It just makes sense so far that it will be faster than the C63. I will post the links again for you to look at since it seems like you haven't heard about this all-new car yet. It will have a 6 speed paddle shift transmission, brembo brakes, etc.. The looks are very aggressive,.... chip and pulley tuning should yield 650 HP right away, and that plus exhaust, filters, few other tidbits should put it at 700 maybe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/d...d-with-550-hp/

Last edited by SL65amg; 01-10-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
+1

The C-class guys are scrambling for some justification for their purchase, you're not going to find it comparing your car to a Japanese Z06, sorry. Not the same class of car, totally dissimilar performance, very different looks. I'll take the Nissan's Video Game interior over a plasticky C-dash any day, but exterior looks the C63 has down pat.

What you should be DIRECTLY comparing the GTR to is the Porsche Turbo.
The interior of the W204 is just down right horrible. And yes, it's of the same quality as the Infiniti's. Most of the plastic are just economy car like, and the Lexus are Audi are just miles beyond. The 203 wasn't that great, but the 204 took it one step down.

Luxury car my @$$.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
all in all, GTR shouldn't be compared with C63. C63 should be compared with 4door M3, RS4 and the new cadillac.

I would choose c63 over any of these sport luxury sedan, no question.

GTR isn't in the same bracket as C63. just totally different car.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Almost a Member!

red gtr

Originally Posted by Jspeed
CHeck this out!

Full test

And this:

Suzuka Lap times

It just keeps getting better and better ... Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Wow impressive numbers. Just Like the $8,000 civic hatch with H22 turbo clearing the 1/4 mile in about the same time, or maybe 11.2 secs. At first glance, I thought the red GTR looked like the new Accord. Too bad, with all its power, performance, etc. the majority of the North American drivers would probably not be able to drive the car to it's full potential, so it won't really matter how fast and furious the car is, because on speed limited roads, it will just be another turbocharged ricer, with loud exhausts, and gigantic body kits...but in a benz, either you drive fast or slow, you will always be perceived as someone with CLASS. And besides, if Mercedes would chose to build a car that could blow the doors of any ricer car out there, they could easily do so no probs. I think the only real competition Mercedes has is BMW. That is why I own both..nuff said Peace ricer doods!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM

E63 biturbo
Originally Posted by tsedeng
Wow impressive numbers. Just Like the $8,000 civic hatch with H22 turbo clearing the 1/4 mile in about the same time, or maybe 11.2 secs. At first glance, I thought the red GTR looked like the new Accord. Too bad, with all its power, performance, etc. the majority of the North American drivers would probably not be able to drive the car to it's full potential, so it won't really matter how fast and furious the car is, because on speed limited roads, it will just be another turbocharged ricer, with loud exhausts, and gigantic body kits...but in a benz, either you drive fast or slow, you will always be perceived as someone with CLASS. And besides, if Mercedes would chose to build a car that could blow the doors of any ricer car out there, they could easily do so no probs. I think the only real competition Mercedes has is BMW. That is why I own both..nuff said Peace ricer doods!!!!

Are you for real?? I think this discussion was meant for people who can appreciate cars and seriously love driving. I'm sure any engine builder in the AMG factory would pray hard that his work would not end up with someone like you ...

Go surf the right forums DUDE!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR vs C63?