C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metric instrument panel for C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C 63 AMG (palladium Silver); 2018 E400 4matic Coupe (Pearl White)
Question Metric instrument panel for C63 AMG

Hey guys. Its my first post. I have a C63 AMG on order here, but since its almost half the price in the U.S., i have a friend who can import it for me. However, since its from the U.S., it comes with a mph speedometer, does anyone know if its possible to replace the instrument cluster or the speedometer to metric units for the C63 AMG imported from the U.S.?

In other words,

- Is it possible to order one with a metric cluster?

- If not, can the intrument panel be replaced?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
Doubt you can order one with a metric cluster but you can definitely have it replaced.

Where are you importing the car into? Going into Canada, it is a requirement that the cluster gets replaced anyway. Shouldn't cost >$2000 with labor and parts.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Do the math in your head.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! J/K!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Do the math in your head.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! J/K!!!.
Lol, i wish it was as simple as that..

Originally Posted by WingFlex
Doubt you can order one with a metric cluster but you can definitely have it replaced.

Where are you importing the car into? Going into Canada, it is a requirement that the cluster gets replaced anyway. Shouldn't cost >$2000 with labor and parts.
I'm importing it to UAE, Dubai. It costs almost half what it costs here, shipping charges included!

The thing is, I doubt our dealers would be of any help since they prefer emptying our pockets with a purchace from them rather than offering you an instrument cluster replacement..
Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 AM

Sonderklasse
Well for one thing, to replace the cluster you actually do need the dealer to do it. I mean getting the part won't be difficult but the retrofit could be tricky mainly because you need to recode. I am not sure if there are any shops in Dubai that has this capability, but if you know there are, then this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 AM

E55 AMG -04
What do you need to recode?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wing
Well for one thing, to replace the cluster you actually do need the dealer to do it. I mean getting the part won't be difficult but the retrofit could be tricky mainly because you need to recode. I am not sure if there are any shops in Dubai that has this capability, but if you know there are, then this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Yeah you are probably right. Why isn't is as simple as a calibrated insert rather than changing the whole cluster...

Anyway, Do you have an idea of where i would be able to order a metric instrument cluster for the C63 other than from the dealer?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by shadowskill
Lol, i wish it was as simple as that..

I'm importing it to UAE, Dubai. It costs almost half what it costs here, shipping charges included!

The thing is, I doubt our dealers would be of any help since they prefer emptying our pockets with a purchace from them rather than offering you an instrument cluster replacement..

Wow! half!! So if fully loaded out here is like 70k then you are saying 35k?
Thats unbelievable...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM

C55
Originally Posted by c32used
Thats unbelievable...
140k there.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by c32used
Thats unbelievable...
erm... you got it backwards... it costs around 140K. :P
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by shadowskill
Hey guys. Its my first post. I have a C63 AMG on order here, but since its almost half the price in the U.S., i have a friend who can import it for me. However, since its from the U.S., it comes with a mph speedometer, does anyone know if its possible to replace the instrument cluster or the speedometer to metric units for the C63 AMG imported from the U.S.?

In other words,

- Is it possible to order one with a metric cluster?

- If not, can the intrument panel be replaced?
You can order the cluster from Germany. and ask your local dealer to install it for you. they probably want alot $$$ if you buy from them directly.
when you look at importing, its not as simple as comparing the list prices of the vehicle in both countries. You have to add domestic transportation, ocean shipping, import duty, custom paperworks... all bunch of stuff which add up quickly. I think you will be paying less than $140k your local dealer wants. but it will be no where near the 70k USD it sells here. I would say around 110-120k depending on the duty schedule your country charges.
I export high end cars allover the world. each country is different but not a single one will be duty free. lol.
PLUS. right now, MB USA (same goes for BMW) strictly prohibits exporting of any of its vehicles with under a year of service. means if you call any authorized MB dealer, they will not sell you any 2008 models for export. and they will be heavily fined by MB HQ if they don't follow it. well. things can always be worked out. but it is their policy right now.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM

12 C63 AMG, 08 Porsche GT2, 06 Mercedes SLR Mclaren
rennpower you are right ,, thats what my dealer told me.. however , i think it can be worked out .. about the speedometer GO to Gargash dealer and he certainley can get you the KM speedometer from germany ..

GoodLuck Bro
Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Just keep in mind whenever you are doing work to the instrument cluster there are seals that are designed to that you can't tamper with the mileage.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ABUDHABI
rennpower you are right ,, thats what my dealer told me.. however , i think it can be worked out .. about the speedometer GO to Gargash dealer and he certainley can get you the KM speedometer from germany ..

GoodLuck Bro
It will be easier for the pre-owned ones that have already been titled. However, to get MSO on brand new ones (means no tax, no registration, no insurance is needed) , it is a totally different ball game. don't even bother to call them if you are buying as an individual.
p.s. ABUDHABI, amazing garage you have there.

Last edited by rennpower; 03-31-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by pmb600
Just keep in mind whenever you are doing work to the instrument cluster there are seals that are designed to that you can't tamper with the mileage.
The mileage info is saved at different places in the car. ECU for one. Changing the cluster will not get you a 0 mile reading. it will read whatever your current mileage is.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 AM

Porsche 997 C4S
Question

Half the price in the US?

I got a quote from the dealer in Dubai for USD73k basic and after 4 pages of options it added up to USD103k