C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG rear axle Locking Differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru Outback H6
AMG rear axle Locking Differential

As stated, AMG has just released a new option, this is Australia only as far as I'm aware at the moment.
This is the quote directly from a Mercedes-Benz dealer bulletin i just received:

"Newly available to C63 AMG Saloon and Estate is the AMG rear-axle locking differential (code 471). Asymmetric and mechanical in operation, this feature from AMG PERFORMANCE STUDIO operates with a 40% locking factor under load conditions to improve tractionspecifically for a more performance-oriented driving style and to reduce wheel slip by distributing torque to the wheel with better grip."
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM

Lotus 7 S4, 09 C63 Palladium with Black leather interior
In your opinion will it make much difference to the resale value? Have you driven one with the standard diff and is the $5.5K warranted on the LSD?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Subaru Outback H6
Resale wise, i think it is such a specific option that it won't increase resale greatly, it will probably just make it more appealing to certain buyers and make it easier to sell to them i would think.
I have driven a C63 around a race track (MT Panorama, Bathurst) but it didn't have the LSD, so i don't know how much better the LSD would be over the standard diff, and it wasn't as if the car was cocking the inside wheel and spinning either, it still got out of the corners quick smart and went like stink.
I think the LSD would only benefit people who plan to race the C63, otherwise, daily drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So depending on what you're doing with the car will determine if you think the LSD is worth it.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards adding it to my order as all my previous cars have had LSD's and I was concerned that this did not.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

c35
Thanks for the info

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by GNGBNG
As stated, AMG has just released a new option, this is Australia only as far as I'm aware at the moment.
This is the quote directly from a Mercedes-Benz dealer bulletin i just received:

"Newly available to C63 AMG Saloon and Estate is the AMG rear-axle locking differential (code 471). Asymmetric and mechanical in operation, this feature from AMG PERFORMANCE STUDIO operates with a 40% locking factor under load conditions to improve tractionspecifically for a more performance-oriented driving style and to reduce wheel slip by distributing torque to the wheel with better grip."

That's odd... I heard from my local dealership that the LSD will not be available for Australian spec C63s. You might want to check with your local Benz dealer to clarify.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM

I have just successfully upgraded my order to now include the locking diff. So it is obviously now available in Australia.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Subaru Outback H6
I work at the local Benz dealer, and i have the current pricing, and the locking diff is listed as an option.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 PM

my car
Originally Posted by GNGBNG
I work at the local Benz dealer, and i have the current pricing, and the locking diff is listed as an option.
i concur. from 809 MY, ie june production. i aslo work for a Mb dealer.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:13 AM
WAY

997.2 GT3, E90 M3
What the? This is new info! $5.5k just for LSD or does it come with the bigger brakes etc ala performance pack? That is rather expensive, but may be worth it? Argh, don't know what to do! I have a dedicated track car so I am unlikely to take the C63 on the track. What to do????? Somebody help me please!

I was in the car for a couple hours on the road last Friday night, and to be frank I didn't really think it needed LSD. It seems like a waste for road use only.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 AM
WAY

997.2 GT3, E90 M3
Were there any other new options?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 PM

2004 BMW M3
Originally Posted by WAY
What the? This is new info! $5.5k just for LSD or does it come with the bigger brakes etc ala performance pack? That is rather expensive, but may be worth it? Argh, don't know what to do! I have a dedicated track car so I am unlikely to take the C63 on the track. What to do????? Somebody help me please!

I was in the car for a couple hours on the road last Friday night, and to be frank I didn't really think it needed LSD. It seems like a waste for road use only.
This is a great and much needed option... Now we can get the best part of the Performance Package (the LSD) separately. I was going to just get the PP option in order to get the LSD, but I really didn't want to make the suspension any more bone-crushing harsh than it already is. Hopefully they will offer this option on the U.S. spec list soon...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Subaru Outback H6
The only options listed for the Australian C63 are:
-Keyless Go
-Electric roller blind for rear windscreen
-Protective undershield
-AMG Carbon Fibre interior trim elements

19" wheels are yet to be confirmed.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 AM
WAY

997.2 GT3, E90 M3
Yeah already have specced keyless go and rear blinds. Still can't decide if I need the LSD...have you driven the car? What do you think?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:21 PM

Subaru Outback H6
I have driven the car, but it didn't have the LSD so i can't tell you how much better it was. As i said earlier, it all comes down to what you are doing with the car. If its just a daily driver, you won't need it, if you plan on a bit of track work, it would be of advantage, if $5,500 is a drop in the ocean, get it.