C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended tire pressure? What tire pres to use??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 amg '08, ML 500 '03
Recommended tire pressure? What tire pres to use??

When I picked up my C63 from the dealer, the tire pressure were at 37-38psi all around then I got low tire pressure defect message while I was driving back home. so i had to stop in at tire shop and asked them to top off my tires with nitorgen.
I'd love to hear form you all what tire pressures you're running. Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by nutzboy
When I picked up my C63 from the dealer, the tire pressure were at 37-38psi all around then I got low tire pressure defect message while I was driving back home. so i had to stop in at tire shop and asked them to top off my tires with nitorgen.
40-41 Fronts.... 44-45 Rears.... measured cold of course...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by shaker
40-41 Fronts.... 44-45 Rears.... measured cold of course...
Ah, you might want to rethink that sir

If you run 44-45 rear, you will light up the rear tires EVERYTIME you pull out. Even with a light foot I may ad. Thats simply WAY too high, and you will be running on only the center rib.

Try 35 front, and about 32 rear. That will still give you a quick turn in, and be able to leave a light at more than half throttle. For track, drag, drop the rears to about 22. For road race, well that all depends on your driving style, but a good starting point is 35 all the way around. You can chalk the tires, check temps, or simply drop the rears until the car feels neautral. On a side note I run 44 left front, 39 right front, and 30 in both rears on my lowly little 32 at the track. Note it is mostly right handers.

See yeah
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

If you run 44-45 rear, you will light up the rear tires EVERYTIME you pull out. Even with a light foot I may ad. Thats simply WAY too high, and you will be running on only the center rib.

Try 35 front, and about 32 rear. That will still give you a quick turn in, and be able to leave a light at more than half throttle. For track, drag, drop the rears to about 22. For road race, well that all depends on your driving style, but a good starting point is 35 all the way around. You can chalk the tires, check temps, or simply drop the rears until the car feels neautral. On a side note I run 44 left front, 39 right front, and 30 in both rears on my lowly little 32 at the track. Note it is mostly right handers.

See yeah
You may want to tell MB then to change their recommeded tire pressure sticker specs.... cuz that is EXACTLY what they say!!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
You may want to tell MB then to change their recommeded tire pressure sticker specs.... cuz that is EXACTLY what they say!!
Haven't seen the MB sticker, actually I really don't care what ANY car manufacturer says about tire inflation. Anyway, I can tell you form working with NUMEROUS tire companies on numerous vehicles, what I stated works. Go ahead and use the higher pressure and four things will come to light quickly:

1. The car will feel like its floating, and very touchy
2. The car will plow like a pig in any bend when driven hard, aka understeer
3. The rear tires will spin VERY easily form a light.
4. The center on all the tires will wear QUICKLY

See yeah

PS: Not looking for an argument here, just wanted to post some good info that I have learned from BFG, Goodyear, Hoosier, Kuhmo, and Bridgstone.

Oh yeah, try it and tell me what you think my friend, as I see in your sig that you have one. I will take any bet that you will be happy
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM

c63, Caterham 7, 335cic
Shaker you are right as per manual & stickers.

I would think AMG & Pirelli know what they are suggesting for the setup of the car.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bizguy4u
Shaker you are right as per manual & stickers.

I would think AMG & Pirelli know what they are suggesting for the setup of the car.
Each his own, but then again you will never know if you don't try

Have fun, see yeah

PS: You do know that ALL car manufacturers have their recomendations for safety/liability issues. NOT for best handeling, 1/4 mile, or spirited driving specs.

Then again, you might not be interested in doing any of the above items, and may never drive your car above the speed limit either
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 325 Likes on 238 Posts
'19 E63S sedan

See yeah
I don't know about the tires, but those inflations will light up the TPMS. The law requires it to alert the driver to 25% low pressure based on the sticker. Your recommendations are dangerously low for this car and these tires.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Are you sure that is what MB says on the gas lid for the C63? I don't recall seeing that for my C63. I am going by memory but I thought it said 39 psi all the way around and increase it if you carry lots of weight.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by whoover
I don't know about the tires, but those inflations will light up the TPMS. The law requires it to alert the driver to 25% low pressure based on the sticker. Your recommendations are dangerously low for this car and these tires.
I understand, and I wasn't trying to infer to ANYONE to do this for all driving conditions. I was simply posting some GOOD information on how to get MORE from your tires when you are interested in spirited driving my friend. As I said, I NEVER have cared what the manufacturer states, as I drive/think outside the box.
Furthermore I would NEVER recomend anything to anyone on this board to do somehting that I know would indanger them or anyone else. I am simply trying to convey knowledge that I have aquired over the years from racing, with various tire manufacturers. Again, I simply say try it. I can assure you that my information will NOT disapoint you and make for a very happy driving experience my friend.

see yeah

PS: I lived with my M roadster TPMS light on for over two years because the added fun factor was woth it AKA running just 25 in the rear, which was well below that lovely do as I say door sticker, and 35 in the front.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 08-01-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM

2008 C63
I know that you can set the TPMS when you top off the tires and then that is how it registers a pressure drop. If you wanted to run pressure in the 30's and set that as the beasae line wouldn't that keep the warning light from turning on??? Not sure but seems logical.

I've run what the door plate suggested and had a weear pattern that was more center of the tire which is usually a sign of over inflation (rears). I have dropped my presseaure a few PSI on the new tires to see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 325 Likes on 238 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ARC101
I know that you can set the TPMS when you top off the tires and then that is how it registers a pressure drop. If you wanted to run pressure in the 30's and set that as the beasae line wouldn't that keep the warning light from turning on??? Not sure but seems logical.
No. The TPMS law requires that the system alert based on the "cold placard pressure." In other words, it's programmed with the factory recommendation. A system that allowed the driver to recalibrate it would not conform to the law.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
MRAMG1 is right in what he is saying. And so is the manufacturer. They give you a conservitive system to work with. A tier can take some degee of varience. Dont panic over a exact number.

Highway driving - fill up tiers more for better feul economy.
Winter driving - lower the pressure for better grip in snow.
And like MRAMG1 said you can play with the pressure to see what works best for you on your roads and for your comfort. You should be carful to not over or under inflate your tiers but I think everyone here knows why.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:20 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by gsrjc
Are you sure that is what MB says on the gas lid for the C63? I don't recall seeing that for my C63. I am going by memory but I thought it said 39 psi all the way around and increase it if you carry lots of weight.
Inside passenger door sticker is 41/45, inside the gas cap seems to be 39/39 for lower passenger count and with full load 41/45... I agree with MRAMG1 and comments about lighting up the tires with that high a pressure in them so I have adjusted back to the 39/39 and will try lower as well as long as i don't set off the TPMS. BTW: the TPMS system on this AMG is crap compared to what I have on my 350Z which shows me the tire pressure in each tire at the touch of a finger!

Last edited by shaker; 08-01-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by whoover
No. The TPMS law requires that the system alert based on the "cold placard pressure." In other words, it's programmed with the factory recommendation. A system that allowed the driver to recalibrate it would not conform to the law.
Good to know. Thanks

No. BTW: the TPMS system on this AMG is crap compared to what I have on my 350Z which shows me the tire pressure in each tire at the touch of a finger!
I agree. Would be nice if we could see the actual tire pressure instead.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 PM

c63, Caterham 7, 335cic
Yep even my GMC truck shows me the PSI in each tire...
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM

2012 Diavel
You better put more air in! Obama, the "Chosen One" said so recently. It will lower fuel prices!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
HDM
Banned

F150
This man speaks the truth.

Plus take into consideration that after you start driving, the tires will inflate even more. Most low profile tires have a 50PSI max capacity, you don't want to be so close to the max PSI.

I run 35 front and 38 rear on my BMW.

See yeah
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 PM

C63 amg '08, ML 500 '03
thanks guys
Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A black car
Originally Posted by nutzboy
Run it with whatever it says in the manual.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
... I agree with MRAMG1 and comments about lighting up the tires with that high a pressure in them so I have adjusted back to the 39/39 and will try lower as well as long as i don't set off the TPMS. BTW: the TPMS system on this AMG is crap compared to what I have on my 350Z which shows me the tire pressure in each tire at the touch of a finger!
Best of luck my friend. It truely is great to see open minded people on this forum Let me know what you end up with please, and I hope that pain in the, well you know, TPMS stays quite for you.

See yeah