Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
I'm curious as to how many "some vehicles" means numerically...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Important Note to all You C63 PP guys

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) contains a brake-in fluid. It will note on your windshield when you pick up the car that the oil needs to be changed at 1875miles. This is a sticker in addition to the break in warning sticker.

THIS LSD OIL CHANGE SHOULD BE INCLUDED BY THE DEALER FOR FREE AT THE FIRST 1K to 2K miles SERVICE CHECK.

Many dealers do not know to do it. Mine did not and I did not know at the time that they should have done it. The gear lube is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 synthetic and costs $30/qt at the dealer. The ONLY other place to get it is at a BMW dealer where it costs about $15/qt but you need to bring your own container. That is what I did. The drain and fill plugs take about 200ftlb to break free and require a 17mm allen wrench or similar hex socket.

My dealer ended up comping me with an A service.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) contains a brake-in fluid. It will note on your windshield when you pick up the car that the oil needs to be changed at 1875miles. This is a sticker in addition to the break in warning sticker.

THIS LSD OIL CHANGE SHOULD BE INCLUDED BY THE DEALER FOR FREE AT THE FIRST 1K to 2K miles SERVICE CHECK.
Thanks for the tip!

Many dealers do not know to do it. Mine did not and I did not know at the time that they should have done it. The gear lube is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 synthetic and costs $30/qt at the dealer. The ONLY other place to get it is at a BMW dealer where it costs about $15/qt but you need to bring your own container. That is what I did. The drain and fill plugs take about 200ftlb to break free and require a 17mm allen wrench or similar hex socket.

My dealer ended up comping me with an A service.

FYI you can also use Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-140 for significantly less cost.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Also, the sales manager at my dealership called me today to tell me that I would get a guarantee in writing that they would install the missing P30 parts as soon as they're available at no charge to me. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by MHP
Also, the sales manager at my dealership called me today to tell me that I would get a guarantee in writing that they would install the missing P30 parts as soon as they're available at no charge to me. Fingers crossed!
you think its possible for them to retro fit their OEM LSD, and SUSPENSION???

i know the brakes and wheel would be easy
Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
you think its possible for them to retro fit their OEM LSD, and SUSPENSION???

i know the brakes and wheel would be easy
The incomplete PP has the LSD I thought.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks for the tip!

FYI you can also use Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-140 for significantly less cost.

No you can not. This Castrol oil is specifically designed for limited slip applications. The Mobil 1 does not contain any friction modifiers. See here http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx

See the attachment for the Castrol spec sheet.

Using any other lubricant in your AMG LSD will void it's warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CastrolSAFXJ.pdf (116.5 KB, 449 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by MercPlease
The incomplete PP has the LSD I thought.
aaah true, my mistake
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by gsrjc
You can actually take your car if you have the VIN. Just input it into the first link below - this is courtesy of Barry.

I tracked mine, I think you select Auto cargo and put in the VIN

Track your car: http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Track the ship: http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/index.html#search
Mine is being shipped on a different shipping line (NYK) and I have no ability to track it.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Ford 4x4, daily
Originally Posted by MHP

did you pick your car up yet? i am assuming they will have this agreement in writing ready when you pick up your car correct?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
No you can not. This Castrol oil is specifically designed for limited slip applications. The Mobil 1 does not contain any friction modifiers. See here http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...75W-140LS.aspx

See the attachment for the Castrol spec sheet.

Using any other lubricant in your AMG LSD will void it's warranty.
Yes you can. You simply have to add an additive.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
I think for the sake of the cost of a decent burger I will stick with the AMG recommendation for Castrol.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
I think for the sake of the cost of a decent burger I will stick with the AMG recommendation for Castrol.
Whatever floats your boat. I plan on switching to Motul for the engine at 500 miles. They are all quality oils.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by MHP
Whatever floats your boat. I plan on switching to Motul for the engine at 500 miles. They are all quality oils.
I know I have already commented on your other posts so I don't want to seem like I am attacking you personally.... but why would you ever not just stick with AMG specs for your oil?

AMG puts Mobile1 in every engine they build. They have been known to say that they develop for Mobile1. Why would you risk your warranty? It is not a 70 Camaro running straight 30w. Do you think Motul is going to increase the performance of your engine? It is not a race engine.

Would you really buy a cheaper differential fluid and then put in an additive rather than just getting it changed for free at the dealer?

Why create problems for yourself?

If you want to tune your car, why not focus on ECU, Exhaust, Airbox..... at least then you may be able to argue your way out of some warranty issues with a mod friendly dealer. Once you blow your engine or differential and they see that you are not running approved fluids, you will be done. They are not stupid and they are really good at finding reasons to not cover items under warranty. Why give them any rope?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
wow, i can't believe such a screw up from MB... but i'm in a different situation. what i mainly wanted was the LSD from the PP but i would have had to get the entire package. i can't believe things would have actually worked out in my favor if i had ordered the PP. Of course paying that price for the speed delimiter would be ridiculous and i would have fought with my dealer to get it for free or reduced, but still. now i wish i would have ordered it.

maybe i can see if there is another car in the color i ordered that will be coming and someone passed on. if that's the case, i could get the set up i want but i will have to pay for the speed delimiter too. i guess i can't win.

SCREW YOU MB. but i'll take the car without LSD i guess.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Fortunately, the dealer is supposed to do this for free with the correct oil.

If you are using anything in the 63 engine besides Mobil 1 0W-40, then pray nothing goes wrong that they attribute to the oil.

It is not my intention to say that other oils are not as good or better. It is just a warrantee issue. If the engine breaks internal and you do not have receipts for Mobil1 0w-40 you are SOL.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
I know I have already commented on your other posts so I don't want to seem like I am attacking you personally.... but why would you ever not just stick with AMG specs for your oil?

AMG puts Mobile1 in every engine they build. They have been known to say that they develop for Mobile1. Why would you risk your warranty? It is not a 70 Camaro running straight 30w. Do you think Motul is going to increase the performance of your engine? It is not a race engine.
No worries on your comments.
Mobil 1 is not a fully synthetic oil, Motul is. I happen to carry Motul and get it for less $ than John Doe can purchase Mobil 1. I see nothing wrong with using a superior product especially when it costs less.
Doesn't MB also recommend 15k intervals for oil changes? Sorry but I'm changing mine every 3k.

Would you really buy a cheaper differential fluid and then put in an additive rather than just getting it changed for free at the dealer?
If it's free at the dealer I'll take it, however it's nice to know that at a later date when the fluid change isn't covered I can use a different brand if I choose. Choosing diff fluid isn't rocket science.

Why create problems for yourself?
Not worried about it. I'm "good" friends with both the sales/service manager at my dealership.

If you want to tune your car, why not focus on ECU, Exhaust, Airbox..... at least then you may be able to argue your way out of some warranty issues with a mod friendly dealer. Once you blow your engine or differential and they see that you are not running approved fluids, you will be done. They are not stupid and they are really good at finding reasons to not cover items under warranty. Why give them any rope?
Trust me, I have a game plan and will be offering some kickass upgrades in the very near future. Next week I'll be tuning, then I begin fabrication of my stainless longtube headers and CAIs. I have spare cylinder heads and an intake manifold on order and will be porting them as well.
Again not too worried about warranty related issues, this isn't my first rodeo. The reason I got this car is to mod the hell out of it and see what an uncorked 6.2/4v is truly capable of. My loss is your gain.

Last edited by MHP; 08-07-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Fortunately, the dealer is supposed to do this for free with the correct oil.
I can't even begin to fathom going more than 3k (the way I drive) for an oil change.

If you are using anything in the 63 engine besides Mobil 1 0W-40, then pray nothing goes wrong that they attribute to the oil.
Mobil 1 0w-40 comes standard in SRT8s as well, however 6.1 owners are also "allowed" to run 15w-50 should they choose. As long as the oil is the correct weight, they don't have a leg to stand on. Besides, I don't see how you can run into problems by switching to a higher grade oil of the same weight.

It is not my intention to say that other oils are not as good or better. It is just a warrantee issue. If the engine breaks internal and you do not have receipts for Mobil1 0w-40 you are SOL.
I understand your point and appreciate your input, thanks!

Andy
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Mobil 1 0w-40 comes standard in SRT8s as well, however 6.1 owners are also "allowed" to run 15w-50 should they choose. As long as the oil is the correct weight, they don't have a leg to stand on. Besides, I don't see how you can run into problems by switching to a higher grade oil of the same weight.
Andy
Fair enough. AMG does not allow anything other than Mobil1 0W-40 for MY05 and newer. Are there better oils available? I saw a test on Royal Purple that looked amazing. If you are modding to the extent the warantee is history anyway it makes no difference. If not, use what they tell you. Your booklet titled "Factory Approved Service Products" is the place to look.

Here is a page from it. There is a MB lubricant for everything.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 PM

2009 C63
Fair enough. AMG does not allow anything other than Mobil1 0W-40 for MY05 and newer. Are there better oils available? I saw a test on Royal Purple that looked amazing. If you are modding to the extent the warantee is history anyway it makes no difference. If not, use what they tell you. Your booklet titled "Factory Approved Service Products" is the place to look.

Here is a page from it. There is a MB lubricant for everything.
I like the Lubricating Paste for 'screwing customer'.... that is what they used when the short shipped the PP for MBUSA customers. LOL
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I believe this issue might be just for the USA model cars. I called my dealer in Canada, who in turn contacted the Sales Operations manager for Western Canada at MB Canada, and their reply was...

"Canadian orders are packaged and built completely separate from US orders. You can however confirm your customers vehcile content by looking in E-Vista.

There are restrictions on some packages due to supplier constraints, however if your order shows certain packages included, it will be delivered with them. There are instances from time to time like that noted in the MBUSA number, and the customer is never out of pocket - as pricing adjustments would make sure they only pay for the actual options on the car. "
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Shooff
I believe this issue might be just for the USA model cars. I called my dealer in Canada, who in turn contacted the Sales Operations manager for Western Canada at MB Canada, and their reply was...

"Canadian orders are packaged and built completely separate from US orders. You can however confirm your customers vehcile content by looking in E-Vista.

There are restrictions on some packages due to supplier constraints, however if your order shows certain packages included, it will be delivered with them. There are instances from time to time like that noted in the MBUSA number, and the customer is never out of pocket - as pricing adjustments would make sure they only pay for the actual options on the car. "
MAN! MB never learns... they never have high demand options available right at launch... Lets recap the past 3 years.

R-class --> no rear seat entertainment avail
S-class --> Distronic plus
GL-class --> Off road pkg
C63 --> 030

They always blame the supplier, who picked the supplier? Therefore who is ultimately responsible for the supplier? MB!

Although I guess they finally snapped out of it because MB is suing a battery supplier that was supposed to produce batteries for the ML hybrid.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Thanks for the link!

Are there better oils than Mobil 1, absolutely. Mobil is petroleum based, and therefore not truly synthetic; Motul is 100% ester based (smells like coconuts). However Mobil 1 is sufficient for the way most people drive their vehicles. I'm personally a fan of Motul (I run 5w-40 in the Jeep), and use Mobil 1 filters, but it seems everyone has their favorite. IMO the best oil on the market (incredibly hard to obtain and OEM on the Enzo) is Shell Helix, but it's a 10w-60.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

C63 AMG
I got screwed on one of these PP C63's. First and last MB I will buy at this point. $1504 or a dealer retrofit is just not the same. When I told the GM at the dealer that this is not what I or others expect of MB, he disagreed and said that he thinks MB is making good and making me whole. What do you think? Do you think a dealer retrofit is the same? Is this what you expect from MB?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by xxx_C63AMG_xxx
I got screwed on one of these PP C63's. First and last MB I will buy at this point. $1504 or a dealer retrofit is just not the same. When I told the GM at the dealer that this is not what I or others expect of MB, he disagreed and said that he thinks MB is making good and making me whole. What do you think? Do you think a dealer retrofit is the same? Is this what you expect from MB?
They screwed up. Crap happens. Now they are offering 2 ways to make it right.

Take the Retro-fit. Thats what you ordered and thats what you should end up with. Move on

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"