Sponsored by:

2010 changes confirmed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
2010 changes confirmed

may recall, Mercedes' performance division, AMG, recently put up the white flag on the speed wars. This basically means that they are now looking for more efficiency rather than more brute horsepower. Their previous focus on power came at the expense of fuel economy, natürlich. How will the efficiency shift play out? AMG is welcoming direct injection and Stop & Start (micro hybrid) systems, which will be installed in all 2010 models, two years earlier than expected. The new piezo-electric injectors are the same as the ones fitted to the BlueEfficiency models. Thanks to these technologies and weight reduction, AMG expects to reduce fuel consumption by 30 percent without losing any character at all. Diesels and hybrids will also become part of the offering soon.[Source: Le Blog Auto]
AMG: Direct injection and Stop&Start in 2010 originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:38:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
I posted this article a while back, but now that its confirmed, I cannot wait to see the 2010 AMG models.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Pcar
Nice.
Any news if the tranny from the SL63 will be making its way to the C63?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM

c230
No news on the tranny but I did hear daytime running lights will be making its way onto the scene.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jleclair10
Thanks to these technologies and weight reduction, AMG expects to reduce fuel consumption by 30 percent without losing any character at all.
So that should kill the GG tax? My definition of not losing any character is retaining that awesome exhaust on the C63.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 AM

09' C63 AMG
I’m happy I purchased an 09 then, I don’t care what they say but the car will not be exactly the same with these so called “improvements”. If the C63 was made on the basis of producing brute power and performance, these changes are not focused on improving anything towards performance which may indirectly alter other areas of the vehicles original attributes...

These changes could be minor, such as exhaust note; however I prefer the original which did not focus on things such as fuel consumption rather than pure performance, just my opinion...

“My definition of not losing any character is retaining that awesome exhaust on the C63.”
-Couldn’t agree with your more

The reason we purchase these vehicles and spend more of our hard earned money on the C63 rather than a C300 is for the power and performance, not for more “efficiency”

However, if these do NOT alter or change any original attributes than I guess they serve a purpose, but if the improvements increase the price of the vehicle that would be a critical mistake on MB’s part.

If you are worried about GG tax than you’re looking at the WRONG car, or even TYPE of car…

BTW Don’t we already have daytime running lights? I am almost positive my car does, I’m too lazy to go check right at the moment….
Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I think you're all confusing the term efficiency. Efficieny simply means that you are able to maximize the use of every unit of energy provided.

Wouldn't it be better if the C63 was able to provide the same amount of power with less fuel consumption or more power with same fuel consumption? All manufacturers and racing teams strive to achieve efficiency in their vehicles because it provides the best performance. For example, look at the 2008 F1 cars, notice all those specifically placed winglets that direct airflow around the car at specific angles and speeds? They are aiming for efficieny to give them a competitive edge. Notice how the fastest sprinters or swimmers always look the smoothest? That's because they are able to fully utilize their chemical energy and transform it into mechcanical motion. By maximizing their efficiency, they are able to provide more output than other competitors and thus gain an advantage.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:58 AM

09' C63 AMG
You are over generalizing and just defining the word "efficiency".

What you said was true, However...These "efficient improvements" are not aimed at performance, YES they do have benefits, but I believe not necessarily in the enthusiast's interest. These changes can result in altering some "attributes" (such as exhaust sound for example) from the original C63 that some of us may appreciate most... We will never know until its release…

I would not be complaining about an airflow adjustment which improves the "efficiency" of the how our cars receive air for our engine, as in the example with the F1 cars. That is not the case in this situation...
Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
I am looking at this new fuel injection system as a positive, MB has been using it on certain powerplants on certain models for a couple of years now on euro spec cars.Not only will the car become more "fuel efficient" but also have a boost in hp.It is already said that the new E class sedan and coupe AMG 63 will be bumped up from 507 ps to 525 ps.That more than less tells me that in 2010 or 2011 the W204 model C63 may reach the 470 ps area? This will produce a more "efficient and powerfull" C63 tacked along with the new MCT tranny, all I can say is Oh yea bring it on!! Look at this as a positive and not a negative.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 AM

C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
Direct injection was a big improvement on the 911. Weight reduction is always a good thing.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by DaGS1800
You are over generalizing and just defining the word "efficiency".

What you said was true, However...These "efficient improvements" are not aimed at performance, YES they do have benefits, but I believe not necessarily in the enthusiast's interest. These changes can result in altering some "attributes" (such as exhaust sound for example) from the original C63 that some of us may appreciate most... We will never know until its release…

I would not be complaining about an airflow adjustment which improves the "efficiency" of the how our cars receive air for our engine, as in the example with the F1 cars. That is not the case in this situation...
You can be efficient without sacrificing performance.

Porsche 911 Turbo's are efficient, and they can still **** the pants off drivers with their massive performance.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
If the 2010 C63 gets direct injection -- WOW. I will be envious. DI = HP!

AMG has said the 6.2l will get DI, I just didn't think it would come this soon. Maybe they will let the new E Class have it first.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

09' C63 AMG
If this increases BHP then hell yeah I am all for it... I didn’t say that it would "sacrifice" performance, because if it did I highly doubt MB would do it. But I just hope it doesn’t change things like the exhaust sound... And my point was that most people do not buy this car or a 911 turbo because of how efficient it is...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 AM

C63
DI should be a good thing. Just feels like something that the auto mfg and engineers have known about but didn't feel the need to pass on to the consumer because they didn't have too. The articles I've read about the improvements on the Porsche 911 and Cayman are very respectable and the argument makes engineering makes sense....less weight more efficient engines translates into more fuel efficient cars without sacrificing performance.

Apparently the 2010 Audi S5 is losing it's V8 in favor of a twin-turbo six that's supposed to match the 8's performance. I remember about 10-15 years ago when a turbo was a bad thing and conjured up visions of sagging performance and costly repairs. I know technology plays a big role but sooner or later they'll be able to get the same exhaust note from a turbo 6 that current 8's produce. Not to be a skeptic but just make you wonder how much of this they haven't already hashed out and just wait for some form of regulation to offer what are essentially "marginal" technological improvements that the auto journalists hail as the second coming.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 AM

09' C63 AMG
Wow I didnt hear about Audi removing the V8 in the S5. Bad call IMO, now its not even in the same league/class as the M3 and C63. Do you have any info on the RS5 comming out, will that have a V8 or V6, it would be a shame if it doesnt have a monster V8...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
A GTR or Turbo has a 6 cylinder turbo, I don't see anything wrong with a turbo engine, they are lighter and more fuel efficient as well. Also they are both faster than the C63.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by yooker
A GTR or Turbo has a 6 cylinder turbo, I don't see anything wrong with a turbo engine, they are lighter and more fuel efficient as well. Also they are both faster than the C63.
Any type of six cylinder, turbocharges, supercharged or NA will never sound like a big V8, I personally would not even look at any car as an option to buy if it didnt have a hulking 8 cylinder, my honest opinion only.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
I suppose a small car like a Turbo (and to some extent the GTR) can get away with having a small engine with turbos. However, a large Mercedes just needs a big V8.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by jtdominate
DI should be a good thing. Just feels like something that the auto mfg and engineers have known about but didn't feel the need to pass on to the consumer because they didn't have too. The articles I've read about the improvements on the Porsche 911 and Cayman are very respectable and the argument makes engineering makes sense....less weight more efficient engines translates into more fuel efficient cars without sacrificing performance.

Apparently the 2010 Audi S5 is losing it's V8 in favor of a twin-turbo six that's supposed to match the 8's performance. I remember about 10-15 years ago when a turbo was a bad thing and conjured up visions of sagging performance and costly repairs. I know technology plays a big role but sooner or later they'll be able to get the same exhaust note from a turbo 6 that current 8's produce. Not to be a skeptic but just make you wonder how much of this they haven't already hashed out and just wait for some form of regulation to offer what are essentially "marginal" technological improvements that the auto journalists hail as the second coming.
Audi has been making way too many bad calls with replacing most of it's V8 line with these wimpy V6TT's.

IMO, it's fine tinkering with a V8 to make it efficient, (and without sacrificing it's performance figures, and exhaust notes) but it's quite another to ditch the V8 entirely for a V6TT.

"No replacement for displacement" just comes to mind.

Talk about one hell of a downgrade for RS4 enthusiasts.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by g.smiley
I suppose a small car like a Turbo (and to some extent the GTR) can get away with having a small engine with turbos. However, a large Mercedes just needs a big V8.
Well maybe Mercedes should think of weight reduction in their future vehicles instead of adding weight and trying to counter it with more power. Why can't they make the C63 weigh something closer to 3000lb instead of 3900lb. Weight is never an asset to a car's performance.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by yooker
Well maybe Mercedes should think of weight reduction in their future vehicles instead of adding weight and trying to counter it with more power. Why can't they make the C63 weigh something closer to 3000lb instead of 3900lb. Weight is never an asset to a car's performance.
That would only mean:

1.) No more really comfy leather seats. (Seats are heavy as hell by themselves.)
2.) Bye bye Multi-media Sat-Nav system. (That's heavy too.)
3.) HVAC system should be an option, like on Lotus Elise's. (Air conditioning draws too much power, and it's heavy as well.)
4.) Back seats? Who needs them?
5.) Heavy use of carbon fiber on just about every panel. Great for saving weight, but expect the car to cost $20k more.

I'm fine with the way the C63 is. It's a luxury, track-ready muscle car, which is what it was designed to be.

If they ever make a C63 Black Series, then weight reduction and deletion of certain options would be expected and required.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
The most disturding thing for me is the hybrid system that MB decided to install 2 year earlier. Maybe they were planning to do some R&D during those 2 years? I also think that a bigger amount of equipment will give extra weight. Just my thoughts.

Regarding Audi RS series: I have a friend in Moscow, Russia who had a 2001 rs4 (bi-turbo v6) and a 2006 rs4 (v8). He bought the 06 one without even testdriving it, brand new, just when it came out in Russia for about 100000 euros (Russian pricing) and boy he was so disappoited. He hated every inch of that car but mostly he hated the V8 engine. His dad had Audi A8 4.2l V8 at that time and my friend said that they (A8 and RS4 v8) were just the same, heavy (although RS4 had an aluminium engine which was very light), not sharp, "lazy" and not turbo (in terms of feeling) . He sold the 06 RS4 with very low milege, bought a used 01 RS4 (he sold the first one he had) took it to MTM (tuning company in germany) (456hp/crank and 580Nm torque) and he is still enjoying it as a weekend driver. He has several friend that are RS4 ethusiasts and they all have the 2001 RS4s and all they are loving their turbo engines. Also there are only 6060 RS4 with a turbo engine and they were all made in 2001 (kinda makes the special).
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by -michael-

Regarding Audi RS series: I have a friend in Moscow, Russia who had a 2001 rs4 (bi-turbo v6) and a 2006 rs4 (v8). He bought the 06 one without even testdriving it, brand new, just when it came out in Russia for about 100000 euros (Russian pricing) and boy he was so disappoited. He hated every inch of that car but mostly he hated the V8 engine. His dad had Audi A8 4.2l V8 at that time and my friend said that they (A8 and RS4 v8) were just the same, heavy (although RS4 had an aluminium engine which was very light), not sharp, "lazy" and not turbo (in terms of feeling) . He sold the 06 RS4 with very low milege, bought a used 01 RS4 (he sold the first one he had) took it to MTM (tuning company in germany) (456hp/crank and 580Nm torque) and he is still enjoying it as a weekend driver. He has several friend that are RS4 ethusiasts and they all have the 2001 RS4s and all they are loving their turbo engines. Also there are only 6060 RS4 with a turbo engine and they were all made in 2001 (kinda makes the special).
That's a matter of opinion. The V8 is N/A and produces 420 stock. I'm sure with MTM tuning, it'll produce more than the old V6TT could.

I'm sure lots of AMG C-Class owners will attest that the 2001 C43 AMG is "better than" the 2009 C63 AMG. Same great lineage, but both completely different approaches. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, they're simply just different. It depends on what character you're wanting in a car.

Your friend just simply likes the feel of his old 2001 RS4 better, doesn't mean he can whip the pants off a modded 2006 one.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
That's a matter of opinion. The V8 is N/A and produces 420 stock. I'm sure with MTM tuning, it'll produce more than the old V6TT could.

I'm sure lots of AMG C-Class owners will attest that the 2001 C43 AMG is "better than" the 2009 C63 AMG. Same great lineage, but both completely different approaches. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, they're simply just different. It depends on what character you're wanting in a car.

Your friend just simply likes the feel of his old 2001 RS4 better, doesn't mean he can whip the pants off a modded 2006 one.

Just my $0.02.
I agree with you.
It is a matter of choice.
He had both cars so he had a choice when both were stock. And it he prefered turbo. I have never seen someone who would upgrade to a new version of some car model and then degrade back.
All I has trying to say in the previous post - is that the new Audi move on the turbo engines can actually exite the RS4 enthusiasts.

PS I also agree with you on post #21
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM

C 350 Obsidian Black
From what I hear 2010 models will be the same motor as 2009. Direct injection and other efficiency items are on their way just not 2010 for US. Not yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 changes confirmed