First time at the track. brutal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
First time at the track. brutal.

Today was my first night at the track. I don't think I did so good lol.

It was pretty cold. So traction was brutal. Only plus 12C.

Did 4 runs, best I could hit was 13.6 at 109mph, 60 was 2.332

First run, i forgot ESP on. That killed it huge.
Second run, rev's at 1800rpm ish, floored it in S mode. Spun all first and 2nd, went sideways some.
Third run, tried to feather the throttle, spun off the line, let off, it shifted to 2nd, then pinned it again and downshifted to 1st and took off.
Fourth run, ESP off and M mode. Tried to feather the throttle only slight wheel spin, but hit the rev limiter off first gear. got 13.6 on this run.

Tires are too hard I think, they have a 320 treadwear, I need something sticky....

I am looking at the Toyo proxes R888, but they dont have the right size. the closest I can find is, 295/30R19 will that fit on the 19inch AMG rims? 275 is tight already.

I must practice with the manual mode some more. I drive in S mode with ESP off all day, so I am not too familiar with the M mode shifting..

What's everyone elses set up at the track??
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
After plenty of trial and error and lots of room for improvement still my advice is this:

1. ESP stays off for the entire process(staging & racing)
2. Use M mode for the burnout.....tires need the heat don't hold back
3. Tranny in sport mode for the pass which is quicker than M mode and you wont bang the limiter
4. 1500 rpm at launch and throttle up according to traction

I have plenty of passes on street tires and drag radials. I have Proxy 888"s on a spare set of wheels and they will spin under a full throttle launch unless the conditions and track are perfect. Dad's C63 is running MT's and he is able to launch by going full throttle then releasing the brake. The tires hook and he leaps out of the box which is a huge advantage. My best time was running street tires on the last cool night that we will see this year and I know that a banzai launch with MT's would have shaved 2-3 tenths. Now that we are back to 80+ degree evenings I am done till fall.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
By ESP OFF you mean true ESP OFF or ESP sport? ESP OFF doesn't seem to stay OFF all the time, it turns ON as soon as I hit the brakes
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hhughes1
After plenty of trial and error and lots of room for improvement still my advice is this:

1. ESP stays off for the entire process(staging & racing)
2. Use M mode for the burnout.....tires need the heat don't hold back
3. Tranny in sport mode for the pass which is quicker than M mode and you wont bang the limiter
4. 1500 rpm at launch and throttle up according to traction

I have plenty of passes on street tires and drag radials. I have Proxy 888"s on a spare set of wheels and they will spin under a full throttle launch unless the conditions and track are perfect. Dad's C63 is running MT's and he is able to launch by going full throttle then releasing the brake. The tires hook and he leaps out of the box which is a huge advantage. My best time was running street tires on the last cool night that we will see this year and I know that a banzai launch with MT's would have shaved 2-3 tenths. Now that we are back to 80+ degree evenings I am done till fall.
How do you control the lauch traction in S mode without the tranny shifting to second too early??

I think the best way is M mode, just getting good at shifting when the redlight comes on is the key. Then you can feather the throttle without it shifting to second.

Another idea I had was keep it in S mode, but manually shift to 1st, that way it will hold every gear to red line and shift perfect but only at red line.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by Merc63
How do you control the lauch traction in S mode without the tranny shifting to second too early??
You pretty much answered your own question. Leave it in S mode but just click the left paddle so it will hold 1st through redline. I ran in S mode, ESP Sport as well. For me anyway, it is too difficult to perfectly time the shifts in M mode. Either I will shift a little too early, or a little too late. S mode simply eliminates that human error factor allowing me to focus just on the launch.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by nrgy
You pretty much answered your own question. Leave it in S mode but just click the left paddle so it will hold 1st through redline. I ran in S mode, ESP Sport as well. For me anyway, it is too difficult to perfectly time the shifts in M mode. Either I will shift a little too early, or a little too late. S mode simply eliminates that human error factor allowing me to focus just on the launch.
Ya I didn't get a chance to test out my last method. Im sure that is the way to do it.

Now all I got to do is find some sticky tires that will fit my rims.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
They do make the R888 in 265/35/19, but most places don't list that size. You'll have to dig around to find them, but they are available. I know overseas people are running that size.

I keep recommending the Bridgestone RE11 tires to people. I've read nothing but excellent reviews from this tire...it is a very high performance street tire, I think the next best thing to a R compound.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Merc63
Today was my first night at the track. I don't think I did so good lol.

It was pretty cold. So traction was brutal. Only plus 12C.

Did 4 runs, best I could hit was 13.6 at 109mph, 60 was 2.332

First run, i forgot ESP on. That killed it huge.
Second run, rev's at 1800rpm ish, floored it in S mode. Spun all first and 2nd, went sideways some.
Third run, tried to feather the throttle, spun off the line, let off, it shifted to 2nd, then pinned it again and downshifted to 1st and took off.
Fourth run, ESP off and M mode. Tried to feather the throttle only slight wheel spin, but hit the rev limiter off first gear. got 13.6 on this run.

Tires are too hard I think, they have a 320 treadwear, I need something sticky....

I am looking at the Toyo proxes R888, but they dont have the right size. the closest I can find is, 295/30R19 will that fit on the 19inch AMG rims? 275 is tight already.

I must practice with the manual mode some more. I drive in S mode with ESP off all day, so I am not too familiar with the M mode shifting..

What's everyone elses set up at the track??

Where is this track? Obviously at altitude?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by id64
By ESP OFF you mean true ESP OFF or ESP sport? ESP OFF doesn't seem to stay OFF all the time, it turns ON as soon as I hit the brakes
That is not right, it should remain off until you hit the esp button again or restart the car.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by juicee63
Where is this track? Obviously at altitude?

Im in Edmonton, Canada.
Elevation: 668 M