Installing Air filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi evo9
Installing Air filter

hey guys... need a bit of help.

Bought 2 K&N air filters, and was seeing if i could do a DIY job.

Attached are a few photos to help guide me and what i believe i should be doing:

From what I can figure out, I hafta take off the silver bit and thats where the air filter is right??
What do I hafta take off?? I can tell there is 3 screw thingys.
is that all, or do i hafta take off the pipe thingy at the top too?

Or.... should i not bother and pay a bit to get it installed??

Thanks for any help!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
First CAREFULLY pull the front part up. This is the part with the star on it. This has clips and will break if you mistreat it. Then you have to pry it (pull carefully) at the back points where it meats the plastic parts that have the screws in them. It will take some pulling to get that off, but its pretty tough and will not break that easy. There are a total of 4 clips holding the front part on with the star. Once the start part is removed, then you have access to the screw that is "hidden" under that star. Each side has 5 screws in it. 1 screw is hidden under the star. 2 on the side next to the intake, and 1 on the outward side and one on the back side near the red handle dipstick. Unplug the plugs that go to the sensors, Right side (looking at the car from the front) plug will have the clip facing upward so it’s easy. pop it off and then unscrew the hose clamp on the rubber tube. Tug on it once it’s all unscrewed and unclipped and unclamped and then it will be in your hand. Cool huh? The left side you can remove all the screws (all 5) and then loosen the hose clamp and then pull it out carefully and then flip it over a little and then unclamp the plug since the left plug is underneath facing down to the engine, once unclipped it’s in your hand as well. Usually I would put a clean rag in the rubber holes where the hose clamps are just to be safe since there is a lot of bugs and such in the bottom of the air filter. Just pull them out and toss them aside. While you’re in there you might want to just clean out or blow out the plastic housings. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RUBBER TUBES BLOCKED or else you will put junk in the engine. Install the new filters and reinstall the plastic parts in reveres. If you look at the plastic parts that you took off (two without the stars) and hold them upside down, the Charcoal filters that others talk about are clamped into that part, it’s your choice to remove them too no harm will be done to remove them. Pull them out as well. Reinstall all the parts and have fun. I would love to do new filters but I worry about the oils on the K&N messing up the MAF (mass Air Flow Sensor). I have replaced 3 on my SLK AMG and tired of it so put the stockers back in. Enjoy and feel the extra 2 HP it will give ya.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Arctic White PP
You have to losen that clamp on top and then remove everything thats underneath. The chacoal filters and the regular filter and then replace it with the on you just purchased
Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Mitsubishi evo9
wait.. MAF? You serious?
I didn't read any of that on the K&N dyno test thread!

Can someone who has changed it confirm that this will not happen?
I understand what there is to do now (thanks pmknapp) but its still quite troublesome so don't wanna go changing it all, then realise its fooked >< ><

(mayb i'll try to post it in the other thread to ask...)
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 AM

GF
Total of 6 Clips for the front Cover. Special Caution when try to pull it away... gently.. took me a little while to pull it apart.

My Pull process

1. Middle section (2 clips)
2. left (2 clips)
3. right (2 clips)

I did loosen the hose clamp , but I did not pull out the plastic, because the GAP after removal the 5 screws is enough for you to remove the original filter and put back in the new filter.

Hope this helps

J
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
If you're the type who might take the cover off with some frequency purchase a small tube of Permatex anti-seize at any auto parts store. Take a q-tip and apply a light coat of the anti-seize to the clips...the cover will pop off with a light pull the next time.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
That was a good right up. The only thing, that wasn't addressed was to use a paint brush to clean out the airbox, that collects pine needles, grass, leaf litter, sand and other debris. Make sure before you start brushing out your airbox, to plug the intakes with a rag to keep debris from being swept into it.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
When I cleaned my MAFs, I took the entire box top off. With that, used a vacuum hose to clean out the bottom half, fairly easy. Just be carefull putting it all back together to avoid getting the clean MAF dirty.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I had a set of K&Ns on my C63. Couldn't tell the difference on power really but I swear, re-wear and triple swear that the gas mileage improved by a solid 1.5 to 2mpg.
I pay very close attention to my gas mileage, I do log the gas expenses and trip on a personal book and I noticed the changes from before, during and after.

The only reason I had to remove them is because it apparently were throwing a CEL code for lean condition. The dealer ended reflashing the car to stock and I put the filters back to OEM(stock filters).

For sure worth on gas mileage.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

GF
I've done some research on the Net, before I purchased the BMC filter, and so far with few spirit runs and normal driving conditions, I did not see any Messages appeared on the computer. Ive heard KnN are litle bit more oily compare to BMC. Im really happy with BMC so far, and I felt the engine sounds just a tiny bit different (could be because of more air comes in), and little more responsive even in C mode.

Last edited by DTMCLK; 09-28-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
My issues were not the oil. My problem was the ASR lean condition. You would assume that the stock computer would be able to compensate but I guess the K&N filters still throw CEL.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by C63newdude
My issues were not the oil. My problem was the ASR lean condition. You would assume that the stock computer would be able to compensate but I guess the K&N filters still throw CEL.
well if you don't like the K&Ns , i have a pair of brand new BMCs , still in the box , that i never used cuz i got the carbonio .
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I've been running K&N's since 180 miles on the odometer. Currently,
I'm at 4100 miles and never had a CEL.

I had a CEL once for a stuck purge valve.