Sponsored by:

AMG 6.3 high-flow airbox demystified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010 | 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
You will not need a tune for any airbox.

You will not "need" a tune for any mod on the 63 in fact. The ecu will not allow the car to run into danger zone.

However, and this is a BIG however, you will get sub-optimal results. What will happen is the car will sense knock, ping, detonation or other "out of normal parameter" readings and pull timing and/or fuel. So you will have a car that you spent a lot of money on mods that runs like crap (often worse than stock).

thanks
Brad
Thank you, Brad.

I'm just beginning to learn about MB performance. And I appreciate someone with your experience providing feedback.

I understand that the ECU will protect the engine with KR, etc., and an untuned car with bolt ons may make the car worse, depending on the combo of parts, but regarding airboxes alone as a single and exclusive mod, I would think -- based on what you said about these cars handling a 13 AFR -- that the car would only benefit from the mod.

I saw a dyno graph on this forum where someone installed the ROW air boxes with charcoal delete and they appeared to up the midrange torque. In some parts of the powerband, I believe the torque was 20 lbs/ft higher with the ROW boxes and charcoal delete.

I didn't see a AFR reading so I'm not sure what that line looked like for that run.

Brad, do you know if the C63's that come with the ROW airboxes from the factory have a different OEM tune than U.S. cars that come with the more restrictive airboxes?
Old 08-26-2010 | 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
so these can be bought from the dealership, kleemann, or evosport... and it's all the same thing? similar pricing?
Old 08-26-2010 | 11:23 AM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Thank you, Brad.

I'm just beginning to learn about MB performance. And I appreciate someone with your experience providing feedback.

I understand that the ECU will protect the engine with KR, etc., and an untuned car with bolt ons may make the car worse, depending on the combo of parts, but regarding airboxes alone as a single and exclusive mod, I would think -- based on what you said about these cars handling a 13 AFR -- that the car would only benefit from the mod.

I saw a dyno graph on this forum where someone installed the ROW air boxes with charcoal delete and they appeared to up the midrange torque. In some parts of the powerband, I believe the torque was 20 lbs/ft higher with the ROW boxes and charcoal delete.

I didn't see a AFR reading so I'm not sure what that line looked like for that run.

Brad, do you know if the C63's that come with the ROW airboxes from the factory have a different OEM tune than U.S. cars that come with the more restrictive airboxes?
No problem, happy to help! That is what this site is for!

Yes, you do not need a tune and the airboxes are a good stand alone mod.

I don't know 100% if the tune is different, but I am fairly certain that it is NOT.

Originally Posted by bluejae
so these can be bought from the dealership, kleemann, or evosport... and it's all the same thing? similar pricing?
Cannot say for Kleeman, but yes for us and dealer. However, if you order from us, we also sell better high flow air filters as well, so you can get both at the same place! =)

PM replied to!

thanks
Brad

Last edited by brad @ evosport; 08-26-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We could also use shielding to protect the underside of the airbox. Have you guys felt how hot it is since it sits pretty much above the exhaust manifolds?
Old 08-26-2010 | 01:52 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Yes, we do this on the stage 2 airbox we sell, FYI.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Sincity
We could also use shielding to protect the underside of the airbox. Have you guys felt how hot it is since it sits pretty much above the exhaust manifolds?
I've thought about that. But, if heat is being kept out of the air boxes then it's being kept in somewhere else. Could shielding possibly cause any heat problems by not allowing the heat to transfer as it was originally designed to do?

I know what I am asking is probably not an issue, but just curious if anyone has thought about this before or maybe it's a non issue.

What about wrapping the intake tubes with header wrap to keep heat out of them? You'd have to use the opposite side of the wrap I assume.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
No problem, happy to help! That is what this site is for!

Yes, you do not need a tune and the airboxes are a good stand alone mod.

I don't know 100% if the tune is different, but I am fairly certain that it is NOT.

Cannot say for Kleeman, but yes for us and dealer. However, if you order from us, we also sell better high flow air filters as well, so you can get both at the same place! =)

PM replied to!

thanks
Brad
thanks again, Brad. I'm going to check out your site.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:23 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
great, here is the guide for the C63:
http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi...63AMG_W204.pdf

thanks
brad
Old 08-26-2010 | 03:31 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Hey Brad kind of off topic, I have the euro spec air boxes. If I got the carbonio cf intake, would I see any better gains or would they be the same?
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010 | 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
great, here is the guide for the C63:
http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi...63AMG_W204.pdf

thanks
brad
Thanks, looks like you guys have some nice products.
Old 08-26-2010 | 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, we do this on the stage 2 airbox we sell, FYI.
Do you offer the shielding as a stand-alone product?
Old 08-27-2010 | 09:48 PM

E63
Good thread Sincity!
Old 11-13-2010 | 11:52 PM

2014 ML350
For diy guys you can use this stuff for heat shielding on the bottom and sides of the airbox http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product. This stuff is used in almost all motorsports.

or http://www.designengineering.com/cat...r/reflect-gold

Last edited by CLK 2 GLK; 11-14-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLK 2 GLK
For diy guys you can use this stuff for heat shielding on the bottom and sides of the airbox http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product. This stuff is used in almost all motorsports.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Sincity
Thanks for the heads-up.
Yes, CLK 2 GLK, thank you. I'm going to look into this.

Btw, Sincity, I really enjoyed this thread. I use the ROW's and BMC's. If anything the price was definitely worth the increase in exhaust sound. And it seems like my car pulls harder in cool air with this setup.
Old 11-14-2010 | 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, CLK 2 GLK, thank you. I'm going to look into this.

Btw, Sincity, I really enjoyed this thread. I use the ROW's and BMC's. If anything the price was definitely worth the increase in exhaust sound. And it seems like my car pulls harder in cool air with this setup.
Glad to have helped......but I also have to give Lomita credit in raising awareness. This is what a community of enthusiasts is all about.

I, too, was a little astonished how the difference in air inlet changed the sound characteristic of the vehicle.

Last edited by Sincity; 11-14-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 04:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I finally got my new ROW air boxes today! Do you guys think I should use the stock filters or replace them with K&Ns? What about BMC or Carbonio? Which are better?

Is there any real increase in power over the stock filters? According to the dyno results in this thread, the ROW air boxes with stock filters should provide about 20 rwhp , but are there any additional gains if I replace the stock filters as well?

P.S. I have an extra set of ROW air boxes up for sale in Classifieds if anyone is interested.

Last edited by andy_c63; 12-23-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by andrey_clk55
I finally got my new ROW air boxes today! Do you guys think I should use the stock filters or replace them with K&Ns? What about BMC or Carbonio? Which are better?

Is there any real increase in power over the stock filters? According to the dyno results in this thread, the ROW air boxes with stock filters should provide about 20whp , but are there any additional gains if I replace the stock filters as well?

P.S. I have an extra set of ROW air boxes up for sale in Classifieds if anyone is interested.
Further testing on the dyno and track will tell how much rwhp the ROW's provide. They do feel like they add something and I feel BMC's help as well. My car feels plugged up when I use stock filters.

ROW's don't add 20 rwhp, but they do help the car sound a bit louder.
Old 12-23-2010 | 05:47 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Further testing on the dyno and track will tell how much rwhp the ROW's provide. They do feel like they add something and I feel BMC's help as well. My car feels plugged up when I use stock filters.

ROW's don't add 20 rwhp, but they do help the car sound a bit louder.
I am to lazy to dyno

But one of the members did post the dyno results earlier in this thread. My bad, it was 10 rwhp max gain, not 20 rwhp. 20 rwhp was only between 3000-5000 rpm...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post4056336

Last edited by andy_c63; 12-23-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I am to lazy to dyno

But one of the members did post the dyno results earlier in this thread. My bad, it was 10 rwhp max gain, not 20 rwhp. 20 rwhp was only between 3000-5000 rpm...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post4056336
It's all good.

I've seen the dyno you're talking about. But as Superlubricity has pointed out, we don't know whether that increase in power (namely rwtq) was simply due to the car warming up.

Superlubricity and others have done countless dynos on our cars and it's becoming pretty well accepted that the ROW's probably don't show much of a gain on the dyno.

A sponsor on this site -- I think it was MBH, but not 100% sure -- recently tested the ROW's and found a 6 or 8 rwhp gain.

The difficulty is creating enough air flow for the ROW's to show a noticable gain.

I feel the gain with them when I open the car up past 4000 rpms. The car charges harder (in my opinion) with ROW's and aftermarket filters, especially in cold, dry air.
Old 12-23-2010 | 06:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Hmm... We'll see once I install them over the weekend.

Which filters should I go with? K&N and BMC are oily, right? I think Carbonio is foam, but is it as good as K&N or BMC?

In any case, I would probably run stock filters in winter not to clog the more expensive high-flow filters with road salt.
Old 12-23-2010 | 08:14 PM

CL63 AMG, GTR, Hummer H2
How much r these row intakes?
Old 12-23-2010 | 08:26 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Can't wait, I'll probably go and install them right now!
Attached Thumbnails AMG 6.3 high-flow airbox demystified-imag0051.jpg   AMG 6.3 high-flow airbox demystified-imag0052.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010 | 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
they come with new MAF sensors and the bottle black portion? nice where did you get them from?
Old 12-23-2010 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Hmm... We'll see once I install them over the weekend.

Which filters should I go with? K&N and BMC are oily, right? I think Carbonio is foam, but is it as good as K&N or BMC?

In any case, I would probably run stock filters in winter not to clog the more expensive high-flow filters with road salt.
I have checked the MAF's several times and I have not seen any oil residue from the BMC's, thankfully.

Makes sense about the road salt.

Best of luck with the install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG 6.3 high-flow airbox demystified