C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual shifting on the C63 AMG truly sucks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Manual shifting on the C63 AMG truly sucks!

It is already slow to begin with but I am a bit upset about how early you actually have to hit the paddles shifters before the next shift occurs.

On my private test I went for several exclusive acceleration runs from a dig using the paddles shifters. You basically have to shift at around mid 6000 rpms to avoid hitting the red line limiter which by the way the car acts like hitting a wall, it just stops bone dry during acceleration and the rev limiter sounds nasty ugly..

I don't think I will be using the paddle shifters much after its pathetic performance. My last two cars had/have paddles shifters(VW Jetta GLI with DSG and 335i with steptronic) and AMG is by far the worst of all(don't hate the messenger, hate the engineers).

My complaint is about the time that it takes to shift, it just takes forever... . Needless to say I switched to Sport mode and the car cleverly shifted for me at the optimun rpm range..not rev limiter issues neither..

UPDATE:

I did more of the manual mode testing and realized that the red light wshift warning light comes at 6200 rpm. I guess I was right, the tranmsssion takes so long to shift that it has to warn you like over 1000 rpms prior to hit red line(that is no good).

Last edited by C63newdude; 09-29-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Try 10-20 WOT Acceleration runs (one right after the other) in S mode with ESP off. Then switch back M Mode. Should shift fast and crisp afterwards.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
Try 10-20 WOT Acceleration runs (one right after the other) in S mode with ESP off. Then switch back M Mode. Should shift fast and crisp afterwards.
is this do allow the transmission to relearn your driving style? if so, then just reset the TCU
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Watch for the RED LIGHT, it tells you when to shift.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM

2014 CLS63 s-amg, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, ML350
Sorry, whats WOT? I am disappointed in the Manual transmission as well.. So by doing 10-20 acceleration runs with esp off it should shift faster? Now does it still shift fast after a while of "normal" slow driving?
Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM

C63 AMG
understand your complaint but the tranny really isnt' that bad. definitely faster than i can shift manually
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by C63 DTM AMG
is this do allow the transmission to relearn your driving style? if so, then just reset the TCU
Not so much of a relearn but as an education... A reset only goes back to zero (still a great place to start) But the Runs at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) in S with no ESP educates for fast precise shifts. Thats why ECU tuners recommend a drive as hard as you can for the first few days after the flash. This educates the ECU and brings out the beast...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Yep I can vouch for the ECU learning. I bought a secondary ECU and the shift points and responsiveness were noticeably different.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
Not so much of a relearn but as an education... A reset only goes back to zero (still a great place to start) But the Runs at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) in S with no ESP educates for fast precise shifts. Thats why ECU tuners recommend a drive as hard as you can for the first few days after the flash. This educates the ECU and brings out the beast...
yes i completely understand and i know that our transmission has been advertised by some as able "to learn the way that you drive". What i do when i take my car out of the city is reset the TCU and then do WOT runs in Sport mode with ESP off...do this for about 10 to 20 runs like the other posters mentioned and you will feel a significantly better difference
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
I had the same problem with my E. The manual shifting was crap. Bring it to the dealer and ask them to update it, they updated my software and the car was completely different. I know they updated it and did not reset it because I noticed I now had a red shift light and the car auto upshifted in M mode instead of hitting the rev limiter.

After you get it back from them beat the **** out of it. Now my car shifts quick as anything else in M mode( except the Fcar of course).
Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Thanks for the responses. I read all the resposnes and all the remedies but now my questions is this:
If I do what you guys told me to do(put it on S mode, do a few roll acceleration from a roll at WOT, etc for how long is this going to last?, is it going to stay in the ECU memory for a while?, It is not in my plans to actually have to do a few hard accelerations from a roll at WOT just to make the tranmsision"shift faster", I am more looking into a permanent solution.

I might go to the dealer and see if they have any software revision.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
I like the shifting - after it has had a chance to "learn" my style, it is much improved. I have a Scuderia and a 599; the former can be rather violent (and great in a mode that suits that car in particular and its characteristics) and the latter really fast (superfast, as they say) but I wouldn't want that in my C63. I love it as it is.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2006 BMW X5 4.8is
Thats a pretty sick stable of cars there Deeroff.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
ESP off??

Be careful to whom you give advice. I for one am so spoiled by esp, I don't even remember how to DRIVE.
You might want to have a disclaimer in your post about not being responsible for people killing themselves in the process.

Of course I am being sarcastic.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Deeroff
I like the shifting - after it has had a chance to "learn" my style, it is much improved. I have a Scuderia and a 599; the former can be rather violent (and great in a mode that suits that car in particular and its characteristics) and the latter really fast (superfast, as they say) but I wouldn't want that in my C63. I love it as it is.
Is that you, Jenson?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM

C63
Exclamation

Originally Posted by C63 DTM AMG
yes i completely understand and i know that our transmission has been advertised by some as able "to learn the way that you drive". What i do when i take my car out of the city is reset the TCU and then do WOT runs in Sport mode with ESP off...do this for about 10 to 20 runs like the other posters mentioned and you will feel a significantly better difference
okay... what does TCU stand for?, and what does "after the flash" mean Im having the same problem with my car, its slow on shifts in M mode and has 450miles on it. What the best way to go about "teaching" this tranny while also obeying the break in rules. I've been driving standard my whole life and this was my first exception.

Thanks fellas
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Originally Posted by Deeroff
I had the pleasure of driving my friends brother scuderia a while back and all I can say is . It's probly the best car I've driven in my entire life!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
I find it's all about throttle position.. my fiancee will drive the car for a few days (drives like old lady), then I get it.. and as long as i'm giving enough throttle the M mode shifts are hard and fast.. no learning curve required. the 1-2 shift has been much discussed.. I dont know if there is a remedy for it.. but with 70%+ throttle my experience is that the shifts are fast. If you're light on the throttle.. it won't matter what mode you're in.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by C63newdude
It is already slow to begin with but I am a bit upset about how early you actually have to hit the paddles shifters before the next shift occurs.

On my private test I went for several exclusive acceleration runs from a dig using the paddles shifters. You basically have to shift at around mid 6000 rpms to avoid hitting the red line limiter which by the way the car acts like hitting a wall, it just stops bone dry during acceleration and the rev limiter sounds nasty ugly..

I don't think I will be using the paddle shifters much after its pathetic performance. My last two cars had/have paddles shifters(VW Jetta GLI with DSG and 335i with steptronic) and AMG is by far the worst of all(don't hate the messenger, hate the engineers).

My complaint is about the time that it takes to shift, it just takes forever... . Needless to say I switched to Sport mode and the car cleverly shifted for me at the optimun rpm range..not rev limiter issues neither..

UPDATE:

I did more of the manual mode testing and realized that the red light wshift warning light comes at 6200 rpm. I guess I was right, the tranmsssion takes so long to shift that it has to warn you like over 1000 rpms prior to hit red line(that is no good).
Just because you have a M mode doesn't mean you have a manual transmission. I see these posts all the time. It is still an automatic transmission with a torque converter. It will never be as responsive as a manual gearbox because of all of the things that it is being asked to do in an auto mode.

The M mode only gives you more controll over when the car shifts but the laws of physics still apply.

If you shift when the red ligh comes on it is really good. If you ignore the red light and try and shift when you get to redline it will hit the rev limiter every time. It takes time to shift a torque converter based automatic trans.

The shift light is really early in first gear because of a few things: One is that the redline of the car is lower in 1st, another is that due to gearing the engine is reving quite quickly up to redline.

The only place that I feel M is worth using is on the track where you may not want the car to downshift or upshift to upset the handling of the car. For the rest of the time S knocks down perfect shifts every time at WOT.

Good luck! I have learned to appreciate the 7 speed and love the throttle blips.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by soldier2304
I had the pleasure of driving my friends brother scuderia a while back and all I can say is . It's probly the best car I've driven in my entire life!
Wouldn't expect any less from a Scuderia.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by C63newdude

UPDATE:

Not to disappoint you even further, but based on my own research I have found that in Manual mode, the time the tranny takes to shift actually varies . So sometimes the car will take longer to shift and at other times the shifts will be quicker. Again, this is only based on my own testing on at least 3 different 63s. I will try to test this even further and got some type of data for analysis.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by soldier2304
Better than a Venza?!?! Shirley you jest.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
This is what pisses me off about my 63, it's so all over the place. One day its good, one day its not.

I'll go on a hard drive, and at the end of the drive the car feels so responsive, and tight and everything is the way that I want it. But then I turn it off and the next day its back to granpa spec. I got WOT every single day several times, so I am sure my car is tighter than most, but I want RAW.

I just wish there was a button that just made everything the best it can be. Best throttle response, best gearbox setting, best suspension settings, best ESP setting etc. Not like, pre-set as per my needs, but just everything at 100%.

Unfortunately, the more I live with it, the more I realize that my C63 just doesn't excite me. I know it could, but something is just holding it back....
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by AlexCim
This is what pisses me off about my 63, it's so all over the place. One day its good, one day its not.

I'll go on a hard drive, and at the end of the drive the car feels so responsive, and tight and everything is the way that I want it. But then I turn it off and the next day its back to granpa spec. I got WOT every single day several times, so I am sure my car is tighter than most, but I want RAW.

I just wish there was a button that just made everything the best it can be. Best throttle response, best gearbox setting, best suspension settings, best ESP setting etc. Not like, pre-set as per my needs, but just everything at 100%.

Unfortunately, the more I live with it, the more I realize that my C63 just doesn't excite me. I know it could, but something is just holding it back....
There's one small problem with that hypothesis, Alex. Even if you pressed all those buttons, it doesn't mean the car will feel the same way every time you use it. Imagine if you had no buttons to change any settings on your car (and in fact, most cars are like that), you could drive the car on separate occasions, separated by mere hours, and the car could feel completely different simply owing to how hot the engine is, what altitude you're driving at, whether the brakes have begun to show signs of fade, or even because of how much fuel is left in the tank.

There are so many factors that affect a car's performance (or the way it feels) at any given moment in time that it's next to impossible to expect it to always be consistent in giving its driver the same feeling it did the last time he/she drove it, even if you pushed all the right buttons.

Probably better just to learn to live with it.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM

C204, W209, W164
The way I fixed my problem was MHP tuning.... I don't know about you guys.
And no, incase some smart *** decides to say it.... I don't work for them; I'm just simply a pleased customer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual shifting on the C63 AMG truly sucks!