C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Oil Change w/ Mityvac :: Write-up and Photos

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Arclight338
Not according to my neighbor,who is a senior MB Tech. And I was able to watch my "A" service and the oil was indeed drained via the oilpan drain plug.

Very good write-up though and for the inexperienced that INSIST on doing their own oil changes,its safer than cross-threading the drain plug.
Correction: We didn't need to deal with oil coolers in the early 2000s. Did he also drain the cooler?

Last edited by Sincity; 06-22-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Mea culpa - sort of. .

There is a discussion similar to this on the PL, where someone posted factory oil change instructions for a W212 E63, which noted that oil should be drained from the drain plug in both the rear oil pan and the oil cooler. Of course, someone noted that their dealer still uses suction, etc. etc.

In addition, an AMG rep noted that it was not necessary to drain the oil cooler, in spite of the factory instructions. So, whatever -- no one can agree on this stupid topic.

So being up for a little experiment this past weekend, I decided to put the top sider to the test.

First, I used my trusty top sider to draw oil through the dip stick tube (against the instructions posted for the E63). I then jacked the vehicle and drained the remaining oil from the oil pan. I got another 1.2 cups of oil from the pan, which I do not consider significant, especially for my short change intervals. But then I drained the oil from the oil coolers and got another 2 cups.

So 3.2 cups of oil remained after using the top sider. (I did not tip the nose of the car up a bit as I normally do when using the top sider, so conceiveably some of this oil may have been drained from the top if I had done so - esp. the 1.2 cups in the pan). Despite my enthusiastic endorsement above, I am a bit torn about using the top sider now - at least on the 63. Out of 9 total quarts oil capacity, 3.2 cups is not completely insignificant (but not a huge deal, either). But it is a real PITA to jack the car.

My plan now is to continue to use the top sider, but every once in a while drain the pan and coolers from the bottom. I am comfortable with the top sider approach (esp. with my less than 5k mile change interval), but wanted everyone to know my experience so you can make your own choice as to oil change approach.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
There is a discussion similar to this on the PL, where someone posted factory oil change instructions for a W212 E63, which noted that oil should be drained from the drain plug in both the rear oil pan and the oil cooler. Of course, someone noted that their dealer still uses suction, etc. etc.

In addition, an AMG rep noted that it was not necessary to drain the oil cooler, in spite of the factory instructions. So, whatever -- no one can agree on this stupid topic.

So being up for a little experiment this past weekend, I decided to put the top sider to the test.

First, I used my trusty top sider to draw oil through the dip stick tube (against the instructions posted for the E63). I then jacked the vehicle and drained the remaining oil from the oil pan. I got another 1.2 cups of oil from the pan, which I do not consider significant, especially for my short change intervals. But then I drained the oil from the oil coolers and got another 2 cups.

So 3.2 cups of oil remained after using the top sider. (I did not tip the nose of the car up a bit as I normally do when using the top sider, so conceiveably some of this oil may have been drained from the top if I had done so - esp. the 1.2 cups in the pan). Despite my enthusiastic endorsement above, I am a bit torn about using the top sider now - at least on the 63. Out of 9 total quarts oil capacity, 3.2 cups is not completely insignificant (but not a huge deal, either). But it is a real PITA to jack the car.

My plan now is to continue to use the top sider, but every once in a while drain the pan and coolers from the bottom. I am comfortable with the top sider approach (esp. with my less than 5k mile change interval), but wanted everyone to know my experience so you can make your own choice as to oil change approach.
Great data.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I then jacked the vehicle and drained the remaining oil from the oil pan. I got another 1.2 cups of oil from the pan, which I do not consider significant, especially for my short change intervals. But then I drained the oil from the oil coolers and got another 2 cups.
Interesting. I wonder if I drive the car up the ramps and use the Topsider, will I capture the 1.2 cups in the pan? Perhaps at 5k intervals, the 3.2 cups is insignificant?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM

'12 CTS-V

This is good to know. Thx for taking the time.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Does anyone have the breakout diagram of where the various plugs are to drain the oil, I am about to do my first change on the c63 (have done it plenty on various other cars, but have only had teh C63 for 3 months...) I plan on doing the top side method, but I am curious as to where the drain plugs are.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, so yesterday I finally got the check your oil at next refueling alert. I checked it, it was way way low (barely touched the dipstick at all, never mind between the min and max marks). So I picked up 2 quarts of 0w40, put 1 in, checked level.. still now registering on the stick any higher than before.. added the second one slowly checking about every 1/3 of the bottle I poured in.. finally made it to just below the min mark on the stick...

Either I ate up alot of oil in the last 3 months since owning the car, or the oil pan is very narrow and any grade of ground other than level puts the oil somewhere else in the pan where the dipstick does not reach to get an accurate level..

So.. how narrow is the pan, and while I plan on stopping somewhere flat today to check the level, I want to make sure I am not running low, engine seems to run hot at around 225 to 230, but I drive hard. (my driveway, nor that of the auto parts store parking lot where slanted significantly, as is my road to my house, going to check in the office lot later today)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM

2010 C63
The pan is not small -- it holds almost 9 qts of oil (the coolers, oil filter assy., etc. holds the rest). The dip stick tube is at the back of the pan, so if car is not level, you will not get an accurate reading.

Also, it takes a while for the oil to drain off the cams, and down the passages into the pan. MB says to wait at least 5 minutes before checking oil on a hot engine.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I check my oil every weekend, in the AM after sitting all night. Also check the tire pressures. For the first 10K miles, I burned about a quart every 2K miles or so, on average. I'm at 16K miles now and probably burning a quart about every 4K miles. From what I've noticed, from the min mark to the high mark on the dipstick is about 1 qt.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to do mine soon. Just got the message for my first oil change: One year at the end of July with less than 2100 miles on the odometer.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I will change the oil as well this weekend. It's black as black and yucky, well more yucky as far as oil is already yucky to begin with. I'm still a quart low based on what was said as the oil is just barely touching the min mark on the stick when I checked at lunch.... which means I was running 3 quarts low till yesterday.. and I am an aggressive driver... and I think my mind may be playing tricks on me, as I am hearing a ticking coming from the engine now, the rockers most likely... I think, and I do not remember hearing it before....

ugg.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:57 PM

C 63 2008
Originally Posted by superlubricity
After 2,500 miles and a ton of time on the dyno I knew it was time to give the car some fresh oil.

My shopping list:
  1. a Mityvac from Amazon.com
  2. an OEM filter (P/N 0001803009) from the local Benz dealership (Came with new O-ring)
  3. 9-quarts of 0W-40 Mobile 1 Synthetic from the local Auto Parts store
Stuff I already had in the garage:
  1. a big crescent wrench for the oil filter cap
  2. a small slotted screwdriver for taking off the O-ring from the filter cap
  3. some rags
  4. a small oil funnel
The procedure using the Mityvac was very simple:
  1. Just warm the car up. (I waited until oil temp hit 175-degrees F.)
  2. Shut off car.
  3. Remove the dipstick and fill cap.
  4. Insert suction line into the dipstick tube until you hit bottom.
  5. Attach the line to the Mityvac.
  6. Give it 10-full pumps and it starts to evacuate the oil.
  7. Towards the end I gave it a bunch of additional pumps every few minutes to get the last drops of oil out.
That's it. All the old oil was out. Pretty simple stuff and I didn't have to get under the car and I didn't make a mess.

Swapping the oil filter was also a snap. I used a crescent wrench to take off the cap. A 32mm socket would have been better and it will also allow you to use a torque wrench so you don't over-tighten. When you replace the filter element be sure to use a new O-ring. It should have been included with your filter.

I filled the engine with fresh oil. Took it for a spin around the block. Checked the oil level and it was just under the top red marker on the stick. Perfecto!

Photos below:

The Mityvac MV7201

Oil and filter

Filter box w/ part number

Close-up of filter

New and old filter

New filter snaps into the cap

Filter and fill caps removed

Mityvac line in the dipstick tube

Connected to the Mityvac

Here comes the oil!

Almost filled up

Hope this was helpful!

Thank You so much

you are the Best and You gave wonderful step by step how to do oil change for C63 even with Pictures Cool Man..!!

can i check with you did you put in all 9-quarts of 0W-40 Mobile 1 into the engine ?

and i plan to do oil change but not change the Filter because i do not know how to do it without the right tools
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by DanielDaniel7
and i plan to do oil change but not change the Filter because i do not know how to do it without the right tools
Put a cloth on the jaws of a pliers or vice grips and just twist the the cap off the filter housing.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM

E63
Superlubricity your write ups are awesome! Before I thought I was too old to change my own oil haha let the kids do it now with your help I dont think its that bad, thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I had my 10K mile maintenance performed yesterday. Oil was drained via both drain plugs.

There was roughly 1/2-quart of oil in the oil cooler and it took 9 1/2 total quarts to get to the fill line.

I'll continue to do MityVac sessions in between the required maintenance.

Quick photos from my BlackBerry.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 AM

C63 AMG
Awesome! Where did you get this done at?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Nice write up! Good to know you can remove all of the oil via the dipstick tube thanks to the depression in the oil pan (ATL AMG).

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 10-07-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by avengerboater
Awesome! Where did you get this done at?
Sound German Automotive in Bellevue.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Subscribed, and bump, thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I also drain my oil cooler everytime the oil is canged in both my cars. Good write up by the way. i have never used the mityvac, as I am old school, let gravity work for you.
But for all of those looking for the Flexible Service System (FSS) reset.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...st-models.html

Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

home the point
Incredibly useful thread for those of us doing our own maintenance. Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Is everyone using mobil 1 0W40 Euro Formula? in there C63?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
This post helped me a lot a few weeks ago when I performed my own oil change.

Car had burned 1L or oil at 7000kms

I was able to drain 7.5L with my Motive Power Extractor
A good trick is the jack up the car on the front left side to pool the oil at the dipstick (got an extra 0.5L from that)

I also sucked out the oil in and around the oil filter

Changed the filter and filled up with 7.5Ls of Motul 8100 5W40

Old 02-22-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
This post helped me a lot a few weeks ago when I performed my own oil change.

Car had burned 1L or oil at 7000kms

I was able to drain 7.5L with my Motive Power Extractor
A good trick is the jack up the car on the front left side to pool the oil at the dipstick (got an extra 0.5L from that)

I also sucked out the oil in and around the oil filter

Changed the filter and filled up with 7.5Ls of Motul 8100 5W40
If you were able to evacuate 7.5 liters from the dipstick and your car burned 1 liter of oil, you should be putting in 8.5 liters and not 7.5. You are shy 1 liter in your car.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
If you were able to evacuate 7.5 liters from the dipstick and your car burned 1 liter of oil, you should be putting in 8.5 liters and not 7.5. You are shy 1 liter in your car.
My mistake. I actually put in 8.5L of oil. The dip stick read between the marks on the dip stick after a 10 mins drive. The oil capacity is about 9L I think.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Oil Change w/ Mityvac :: Write-up and Photos