What the hell is this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Okay, here's my verdict:

No codes were stored, only events. My recorded speed was between 12mph and 27mph driving in S mode with ESP on in about 5th gear.

--Event 5173: The signal from component N49 (steering angle sensor) is faulty.
fault frequency: 2
driving cycles since last fault entry: 255

--Event 6108: No CAN message was received from control unit "combustion engine".
fault frequency: 3

--Event 6264: One or more signals sent from control unit "combustion engine" via the CAN bus is implausible.
driving cycles since last fault entry: 8

Basically, these were glitches potentially caused by a short. It could be anything and the SA said he could go through my car and spend hours and $$$ trying to find it. If it were his car, he said he wouldn't worry about it unless it started to happen with greater frequency so they could potentially replicate it.

I have a whole 7 page read out if anyone thinks it would be useful.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Both times this happened to me, I was driving at low speed. The first time...maybe a year ago, happened as I was cruising through a local intersection, nothing too busy. The dash lit up and I pulled over, restarted the car, and everything was fine.

Just this week, I probably drove 100 miles already and washed my car and was joining up with a couple of other German cars for a photoshoot. While cruising at about 35mph, this happened again and I had zero throttle response. I pulled into a parking lot, restarted the car, and it was fine.

I'll probably have my usual SA check it out today or tomorrow, but I don't have an idea of what the cause could be. I wasn't in M or messing with ESP at all in either occasion. I've also had this Velos tune for almost 3 months with over 3k miles on it, so I doubt it's related to the tune.
It seems like it might be the accelerator pedal from what I'm reading in this thread.

If you remember a while back I had a thread about this and the end result was the dealership replacing the ECU/ECM with updated software (Velos was able to give me another tune).

However, I was told by my indy mechanic that it's a problem with the valve body (transmission?). He's worked as a SA for 25+ years at a MB dealership before he opened up his own shop, and EVERY problem I've had with my car he was able to call it before I took it to the dealership.

I haven't had the problem reoccur (yet) but I have a feeling it will. The dealership wasn't able to give me a definitive answer as to what was the exact problem, so they just replaced the entire ECU/ECM and called it a day.

I'm pretty sure it's not tune related.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM

'09 C63
Okay, here's my verdict:

No codes were stored, only events. My recorded speed was between 12mph and 27mph driving in S mode with ESP on in about 5th gear.

--Event 5173: The signal from component N49 (steering angle sensor) is faulty.

--Event 6108: No CAN message was received from control unit "combustion engine".
fault frequency: 3

--Event 6264: One or more signals sent from control unit "combustion engine" via the CAN bus is implausible.
driving cycles since last fault entry: 8

Basically, these were glitches potentially caused by a short. It could be anything and the SA said he could go through my car and spend hours and $$$ trying to find it. If it were his car, he said he wouldn't worry about it unless it started to happen with greater frequency so they could potentially replicate it.

I have a whole 7 page read out if anyone thinks it would be useful.
Just saw this post...the events were pretty much what the dealership told me. There was miscommunication between the engine control module and the rest of the car.

Though not necessary, if you have time, I think having the read out would be nice to read over.

I really wish someone from Kleemann or Renntech or Weistec can chime in on this, given their extensive background with our cars' ECU.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I read it and I'll post it here...doesn't really say anything. No codes were stored so we're all baffled a bit.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 AM

'09 C63
I read it and I'll post it here...doesn't really say anything. No codes were stored so we're all baffled a bit.
Then you probably don't need to post it then. The dealership was really confused too since no codes were stored for me too. The only code pulled was the code I pulled withmy ODBII reader but that code was kinda useless to them.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'll post it to see if anyone can find anything else unusual.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
This thread has gotten my interest because of my experience in a completely different MB model doing the exact same thing. 2003 ML 500...
So I pulled the old records, yes I keep everything and in chronological order LOL...long series of tests and results but the final result was replacement of the accelerator pedal sensor. In progression of repairs over a year they replaced the gas cap, fuel shutoff valve and accelerator pedal sensor. The pedal sensor was replaced 3 times before the problem of randomly going into limp mode finally quit!!
Possibly an installation problem or defective part? I don't know but it finally quit after several attempts to repair by MB.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Here's the first 3 pages of the doc for anyone interested in reading the assessment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MBWC events readout.pdf (1.67 MB, 788 views)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Event 6108: No CAN message was received from control unit combustion engine

My engine dIED after that ABS /ESP INOPERATIVE, See car manual message comes up. Now my car still in workshop fixing to find the problem.

Anybody can help. Greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I've never had this happen on the street, but I get it pretty regularly at autocross and track events. It usually happens at moderate speeds(20-40ish) and almost always seems to happen when exiting a tight turn with a lot of throttle. I know I've had it happen in both M and S+. I THINK I've had it happen with the TC fully on and with it fully off. The car remains driveable and will accelerate, but throttle response is pretty soft and it feels like the car has about 50 horsepower. Like everyone else, turning the car off and back on again instantly fixes the problem. Unlike all the earlier posters, mine is a FL model. Perhaps because of that, the message I get is worded a little bit differently.

Has anyone else tracking their car seen this happen?

Last edited by zcct04; 04-04-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 PM

2011 C63 AMG, 2004 ML 350, 2008 Z06, 2002 cl 500 vortech supercharged-sold, 1998 355 ferrari-sold.
Interesting. This happened to me about a week ago. Have not seen it since. Had to restart to clear.

Last edited by ollie02cl; 04-05-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:26 AM

c230
**** Mercedez

Now my mechanic told me is the Engine control unit faulty. Need to buy a new one from Germany and get it program to suit my car model and rating. Cost estimate more than 4k to 5k USD. I was shocked and definitely not paying for this amount. Need help urgently how to troubleshhot this prob.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by 2009c230
Now my mechanic told me is the Engine control unit faulty. Need to buy a new one from Germany and get it program to suit my car model and rating. Cost estimate more than 4k to 5k USD. I was shocked and definitely not paying for this amount. Need help urgently how to troubleshhot this prob.
You might try checking other forums on this site. This one is for the C63 models and doesn't get as much traffic as some of the forums for the higher-volume C-class models. You will probably find more info by checking the https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/ (sedans), and then doing a search for 'inoperative'.

Here's one that may help:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...available.html