Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Help

bottom line my friend borrowed a friends C63 and when it was low on gas he wanted to fill it with gas but he filled it with diesel by mistake drove for about 6 blocks then when ever he stepped on the throttle it wont go so he pulled over and turned the car off that is when he realized he filled it up with diesel in stead of gas.

he got the dealership to tow the car and take a look at it. would any of you guys know what bill to expect and what would have to be changed?? I am going to go to the dealership tomorrow to talk to the service guys and know how much damage has happened to the car.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM

C63 AMG
ouch....hope it wont cost a fortune to fix
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM

C63
Diesel has less combustion than gasoline, so I do not think it will severely harm the engine. They will probably drain the fuel tank as well as the engine, flush the fuel lines and maybe change all fluids. Since he drove it for six blocks, there is also a possibility the spark plugs will need to be replaced. I don't think it'll be too serious. It's actually a common mistake, do keep us updated =)

Good luck to him!

Last edited by Militia; 06-07-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Thx guys yea I'm hoping its as simple as flushing the engine and changing the plugs nothing is for sure yet though. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow hopefully it all goes well
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Militia
Diesel has less combustion than gasoline, so I do not think it will severely harm the engine. They will probably drain the fuel tank as well as the engine, flush the fuel lines and maybe change all fluids. Since he drove it for six blocks, there is also a possibility the spark plugs will need to be replaced. I don't think it'll be too serious. It's actually a common mistake, do keep us updated =)

Good luck to him!
+1. I accidentally filled my then girlfriends Jetta with Desiel and didn't realize because then mobile gas color pump handle was green for desiel and I confused it with another place where it was green for regular. We had to siphen out, and change fluids. No damage to engine.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
That's why I always get paranoid when I do fill-ups in unfamiliar petrol stations.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
+1. I accidentally filled my then girlfriends Jetta with Desiel and didn't realize because then mobile gas color pump handle was green for desiel and I confused it with another place where it was green for regular. We had to siphen out, and change fluids. No damage to engine.
thx for the reassurance I was hoping that all it takes is just fluid drainage. my friend is still freaking out and wont believe me so i'll most likely go and ask about it tomorrow.

well my friend said they he kind of forced the pump to fil the car cuz he thought the cars design was kind of different where the gas input was smaller size or maybe the pump station uses bigger pump heads so he never thought about it being diesel. he just grabbed the one furthest to the left thinking its premium. I wanted to laugh at him but the car isn't his and the owner is out of town so he is freaking out about it.

if the case was to change the spark plugs how much do you think it would cost?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Yup u guys were right no engine damage
They are charging 125 per hour for labor and they say its a 10 hour job :s

Anyways I'm glad its just that. We r picking up the car tomorrow
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
It's actually a common mistake
I'm sorry but you really gotta be on some **** to put diesel instead of gas.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
10 hours of labor. That is insane... Someone is getting robbed? You can take out the engine in that time.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by soldier2304
You would think so especially with the size of the nozzle not fitting and being different. When you are trying to jam the nozzle in you would think your brain should send a signal that something is wrong.

But you have a million thoughts in your head and you've done it a million times and you get all stupid automatic with things just reaching for the gas...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Huh? I don't get it. The diameter of the filler receptacle is way too small to fit a standard diesel nozzle. There's no way to make a mistake. Unleaded gasoline necks are made very small precisely for that purpose (also not to fill by mistake with leaded gas, too.) You can't "cram" diesel in there.

I'm almost ready to call bs on this one.....

On the other hand you can destroy a diesel motor really quickly with gasoline. BMW introduced a system that will keep a gasoline nozzle from being inserted in the diesel filler neck. BMW calls the system the "Incorrect Fueling Protection System." The smaller unleaded nozzle can't open the diesel filler neck.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM

C63
Originally Posted by hami
They are charging 125 per hour for labor and they say its a 10 hour job
The hourly rate is fine, but like emiricr said.. ten hours?! I would have surely gotten a second opinion. What exactly did they say is being done?

Originally Posted by soldier2304
I haven't experienced it personally, but I have heard of it happening quite often. The most common cause is probably failure at multitasking.. guy could have either been lost over a conversation on the phone, or maybe the girl next pump over in the mini skirt is to blame?!

Originally Posted by 220S
On the other hand you can destroy a diesel motor really quickly with gasoline.
Yeah, I've always heard the same myself. Gasoline in a diesel engine is much worse than diesel in place of gasoline. Fuel injectors and fuel pumps are well lubricated in diesel engines, and since gasoline will peel it all off -- it will cause the parts to grind against one another.. eventually breaking down.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by emericr
10 hours of labor. That is insane... Someone is getting robbed? You can take out the engine in that time.
The hourly rate is fine, but like emiricr said.. ten hours?! I would have surely gotten a second opinion. What exactly did they say is being done?

I haven't experienced it personally, but I have heard of it happening quite often. The most common cause is probably failure at multitasking.. guy could have either been lost over a conversation on the phone, or maybe the girl next pump over in the mini skirt is to blame?!

Yeah, I've always heard the same myself. Gasoline in a diesel engine is much worse than diesel in place of gasoline. Fuel injectors and fuel pumps are well lubricated in diesel engines, and since gasoline will peel it all off -- it will cause the parts to grind against one another.. eventually breaking down.
Yea I know it didnt sounds right. they said they are flushing the engine from all the diesel then cleaning it up. I would have asked for a second opinion but I am actually visiting these friend in Tampa and I dont know much here the only reason I stuck my nose in the problem is that I didnt want to see the car harmed. I am going over to the dealership when they go pick it up and see exactly what they did.
I'll keep you guys posted
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I disagree, there are still some stations out there with really old equipment in use. I have at least 3 of them within 5 miles of my house that I use semi regularly where the all the pumps have the exact same size nozzles.

Originally Posted by 220S
Huh? I don't get it. The diameter of the filler receptacle is way too small to fit a standard diesel nozzle. There's no way to make a mistake. Unleaded gasoline necks are made very small precisely for that purpose (also not to fill by mistake with leaded gas, too.) You can't "cram" diesel in there.

I'm almost ready to call bs on this one.....

On the other hand you can destroy a diesel motor really quickly with gasoline. BMW introduced a system that will keep a gasoline nozzle from being inserted in the diesel filler neck. BMW calls the system the "Incorrect Fueling Protection System." The smaller unleaded nozzle can't open the diesel filler neck.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Guys great new cars out and running like the beast it is
Total bill was 1120 just in case any of u ever feel like filling ur cars up with diesel :p