C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I don't think Andy deserves an explanation to you guys for anything. You guys are the engineers not us, why are you asking us? If you need help maybe you should ask Andy politely. I have never been a fan of either company and this is just another reason to dislike PC even more. Good job making PC look bad. You guys should be apologizing to evosport for making such a useless thread, all you are doing is making PC look unprofessional and petty while also getting other forum members into unnecessary arguments.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by gravedgr
So IBM is developing a new server product. They find a message forum about servers and gets on, starts a thread: "We are building/about to sell a server product. Lets have a technical discussion about how HP builds a similar product. We would like you to give us specific technical details on how HP's product works."

After the ensuing WTF fallout, IBM replies "Wait, I thought we could have a technical discussion of our competitor's product. All we really want is for someone who knows how it works to put the details here so we can validate our product and possibly steal some of their ideas."

Brilliant strategy, Powerchip.
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
You guys are the engineers not us, why are you asking us? .

These are my first thoughts after reading the OP's thread.

Good to have some soap opera drama to fill my void after the holiday weekend.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Good info. And I agree, this thread is all over the place.

If we were really trying to understand how each of those cars were performing in relation to their modifications, we would also want to know things like trap speed, 60-ft times, whether the cars had P31 package to begin with, whether the cars had LSD (does the LSD even make that noticable of a difference at the track for our cars? *sorry tangent), in addition to the factors that you mentioned.

I'm also looking forward to this season furthering the stat pool.
All trap speeds were between 113 and 118 mph. Most of the 60' times were between 1.9 and 2.1. None of the cars had performance package (whether P30 or P31) and I know for sure that two of them did not have LSD (not sure about the third one).
Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
For what's it's worth last year I ran 11.8 at119with a 1.9 60foot with bald street tires at the track with tune/headers/filter.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
What about Hennessy performance they also offer TCU tuning for all 63 models.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
All trap speeds were between 113 and 118 mph. Most of the 60' times were between 1.9 and 2.1. None of the cars had performance package (whether P30 or P31) and I know for sure that two of them did not have LSD (not sure about the third one).
That is all very good information. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by mthis
For what's it's worth last year I ran 11.8 at119with a 1.9 60foot with bald street tires at the track with tune/headers/filter.
That's a great ET and trap on bald tires. Seems like the headers really make a big difference.

Thanks for pointing this out. I just checked their website and they require that you send in your TCM for them to tune it. But, it seems like a good option.

Also, I didn't know they tuned the 63 AMG. Do you know of any C63's with their tune on it?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I just called Hennessy and spoke with them. They said right now they can sell an ECU tune and a TCM tune.

They said they are attempting to enter the 63 and 55 market with a full line of modifications. They hope to get this done by the end of the year, although they would not commit to anything or even whether they will definitely manufacture other parts for our cars.

So it still may be up in the air. But this could mean another option for LT's, exhaust, intake, etc.

Also, I asked them how they tune the TCM and whether they know of a way to tune the transmission through the ECU, and the representative that I spoke with (who was not a tuner or engineer) said that he knew of no way to tune any part of the 63 AMG transmissions through the ECU.

Please understand that I'm just passing along information that was told to me. Perhaps, the Hennessy rep that I spoke to is wrong. I should know more once he talks to his engineer.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 09-07-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM

e55
I just called Hennessy and spoke with them. They said right now they can sell an ECU tune and a TCM tune.

They said they are attempting to enter the 63 and 55 market with a full line of modifications. They hope to get this done by the end of the year, although they would not commit to anything or even whether they will definitely manufacture other parts for our cars.

So it still may be up in the air. But this could mean another option for LT's, exhaust, intake, etc.

Also, I asked them how they tune the TCM and whether they know of a way to tune the transmission through the ECU, and the representative that I spoke with (who was not a tuner or engineer) said that he knew of no way to tune any part of the 63 AMG transmissions through the ECU.

Please understand that I'm just passing along information that was told to me. Perhaps, the Hennessy rep that I spoke to is wrong. I should know more once he talks to his engineer.
wow u have to much time on ur hands .. i talk to keith today at his office and what MHP does is an amazing job with there tcu tune .. i have known dads car since day one he bought it and been racing him since .. this thread is crap and ppl like u keep it going . i'm not a fan of the 63's but have to give credit where its due . i have been putting a beating on dads c63 for a long time now but like i told him today i wont race him anymore cause i dont wanna loose lol .. off the bottle ya i'll run him anytime but no way now i wanna stay up on him we been modding our cars to beat each other for yrs now .. but this whole thing with the powerchips and mhp is dumb . if ur happy with ur car then thats what matters not this back and forth crap .. oh fyi keith does have his torque limits removed

Last edited by vinnyz; 09-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by gravedgr
So IBM is developing a new server product. They find a message forum about servers and gets on, starts a thread: "We are building/about to sell a server product. Lets have a technical discussion about how HP builds a similar product. We would like you to give us specific technical details on how HP's product works."

After the ensuing WTF fallout, IBM replies "Wait, I thought we could have a technical discussion of our competitor's product. All we really want is for someone who knows how it works to put the details here so we can validate our product and possibly steal some of their ideas."

Brilliant strategy, Powerchip.
No kidding. +3

Hard to believe pretty much everyone here fell for this.

Powerchip: "Ummmm... how does that MHP guy do it?"

Users: "Well, it goes like this....."

Quit feeding the beast guys. Really!?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
I know who I won't be buying a tune from.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450

All I can say is run-away. Ship you ECU to Hennessy and you might see it in 10 months as it will end up in another car. This is total BS and I have not seen one MB tuned car from them. Vipers yes, and that is a whole different story. I wouldn't go down the using Hennessy road...trust me on this. Mine was a five figure mistake with them.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by harrower
All I can say is run-away. Ship you ECU to Hennessy and you might see it in 10 months as it will end up in another car. This is total BS and I have not seen one MB tuned car from them. Vipers yes, and that is a whole different story. I wouldn't go down the using Hennessy road...trust me on this. Mine was a five figure mistake with them.
I wouldn't get a tune from them. I might be interested in seeing if they do something with the CAI.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them. Five figures, ouch. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Looks and sounds like powerchip is crashing, burning, and hurting while trying to take down anyone they can.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
anybody else realize PCs last reply was at #47?...the thread is at #104....

just wanted to make sure i wasnt the only one noticing
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Wow, this thread has really gotten out of control.

Can we all take a few steps back and see if we can still salvage it?

I will be happy to provide any knowledge that I have on this subject. I very rarely share any information I have with other tuners, but I feel that this subject has been abused over and over and it's time to figure out what is real or not.

I think in order for this to work, we need to come up with some direct questions on the subject.

I'll start......

Can the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) be tuned via the ECU (Engine Control Unit)?

What do YOU consider "tuning" the TCU? IMO, if the software on the TCU (flash memory) is changed, and the TCU then reads this new information upon boot up, then it's tuned. Again, that's my opinion and that may differ from Powerchip.

If the flash memory inside the TCU remains unchanged (same checksum as when it was rolled off the assembly line), is it fair to say that the TCU is not tuned?

As many of you know, we are competitors with Powerchip. I'm not here to take sides, but MY customers ask me if this is possible and I want to make sure I'm providing the right answer.

I have access to 2000+ maps within the C63 ECU and will be happy to provide any details I can on this subject......

Jerry
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thank you for your contribution, Jerry.

Do you have experience changing the stall speed of the torque converter through the ECU?

Also, what is the brake stall speed for a stock C63? I've been told that the stock stall speed for lockup is like 2400 rpms, but I don't think that is also the brake stall speed. What is your experience, if you don't mind sharing.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
Wow, this thread has really gotten out of control.

Can we all take a few steps back and see if we can still salvage it?

I will be happy to provide any knowledge that I have on this subject. I very rarely share any information I have with other tuners, but I feel that this subject has been abused over and over and it's time to figure out what is real or not.

I think in order for this to work, we need to come up with some direct questions on the subject.

I'll start......

Can the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) be tuned via the ECU (Engine Control Unit)?

What do YOU consider "tuning" the TCU? IMO, if the software on the TCU (flash memory) is changed, and the TCU then reads this new information upon boot up, then it's tuned. Again, that's my opinion and that may differ from Powerchip.

If the flash memory inside the TCU remains unchanged (same checksum as when it was rolled off the assembly line), is it fair to say that the TCU is not tuned?

As many of you know, we are competitors with Powerchip. I'm not here to take sides, but MY customers ask me if this is possible and I want to make sure I'm providing the right answer.

I have access to 2000+ maps within the C63 ECU and will be happy to provide any details I can on this subject......

Jerry
In bold, above...That's the question that needs be answered. Since the TCU is buried inisde the transmission, it cannot be tuned without tearing into the trans. So, can YOU tune the TCU via the ECU ??

@Powerchip - I'm not sure what prompted you to start such a ridiculous thread...I can only assume there are things going on in private and this was your reaction to them. Bad move IMO.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Give me a little time and I'll try my best to translate my DAMOS file into english and post up what I can find.

Thank you for your contribution, Jerry.

Do you have experience changing the stall speed of the torque converter through the ECU?

Also, what is the brake stall speed for a stock C63? I've been told that the stock stall speed for lockup is like 2400 rpms, but I don't think that is also the brake stall speed. What is your experience, if you don't mind sharing.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by LZH
In bold, above...That's the question that needs be answered. Since the TCU is buried inisde the transmission, it cannot be tuned without tearing into the trans. So, can YOU tune the TCU via the ECU ??

@Powerchip - I'm not sure what prompted you to start such a ridiculous thread...I can only assume there are things going on in private and this was your reaction to them. Bad move IMO.

Ok, what do you consider tuning the TCU? There are things that we alter that customers may think are TCU related, but we never touch the TCU. For this reason, I cannot sell you an ECU/TCU program. That would be false advertising since you are expecting us to modify the TCU.

To answer your question, I cannot tune the TCU via the ECU.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Ok, what do you consider tuning the TCU? There are things that we alter that customers may think are TCU related, but we never touch the TCU. For this reason, I cannot sell you an ECU/TCU program. That would be false advertising since you are expecting us to modify the TCU.

I consider tuning the TCU exactly what you said earlier, "If the flash memory inside the TCU remains unchanged (same checksum as when it was rolled off the assembly line)".
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling us what you alter that someone might think is TCU related? Line pressure, shift points, shift firmness ?? Lastly, have you attempted to pull the 722.9 TCU and tune it directly?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Give me a little time and I'll try my best to translate my DAMOS file into english and post up what I can find.
That sounds good, Jerry. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Jerry:

Maybe just post what CAN be adjusted from the ECU, things like torque management, etc, etc.

EDIT: Sorry Jerry for asking you to get deeper into this issue, you have already stepped up enough IMHO.

Thank you for your input. And I am awaiting Powerchips response below

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting and being honest about what you can and can't do.

I can confirm that your skill set that you indicate is exactly the same as Powerchips.

That is not to say both Powerchip and Eurocharged modify exactly the same maps, I'm sure we don't. I'm saying Powerchip can't reprogram the TCU by programming the engine ECU. No tuner can, it's impossible.
Your reply is the reason why I started this thread, because when MHP say the ECU tune they buy from Europe for a 63 is remapping the TCU on a 7 speed auto, it is a lie.

Obviously, it makes it an unfair playing field when a competitor tells deliberate and intentional lies in order to try to create a false competitive advantage.

There are people posting in this thread that have not disclosed that they are directly or indirectly associated with a competitor.

I have asked Internet Brands to look into this and hope that the discussion can return to the topic of MHP's 63 ECU/TCU and "CDT".

Thanks again for being a professional competitor and telling the truth.

I just wish Andy from MHP would stop trying to create an overall impression about being able to reprogram the TCU on a 7 speed auto.

He hasn't. He can't. His secret tuner hasn't and can't.

Last edited by Powerchip; 09-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?