C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63
i have looked at all the tuner web sights on this forum as i want to modify my amg and so far theres only one that has products if you want to do more than a ecu upgrade but he seems to get run down all the time is this because his product is really that good?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Powerchip is a strange company.

Initially i had a cordial and mutually beneficial relationship with Wayne Besanko However i then decided to remove my powerchip tune and go with vath and wanted to ship my ML63 ecu back to them to be flashed back to stock. i then received what i considered to be an insulting email from Wayne which i responded to in kind. At that point wayne directed one of his employees to send me a confidentiality 'agreement' which demanded that i would never speak, post or write the word "powerchip' ever again!! this is not a joke.

A full legal document was sent to me for signing, which even in the absence of my signature they considered 'binding'. While i might have only 3/4 of a law degree from the University of Queensland even i know no one is bound by an agreement they don't sign. The absurdity of it was beyond belief and one of the strangest thing i have ever encountered. I never responded to this garbage.

I decided i no longer wanted anything to do with that business and my ECU was sent to Vath in Germany who wiped it clean. They then let me know that they found some strange device soldered onto it by powerchip and almost damaged it. They removed this piece of rogue hardware for me

Strange strange strange

I am a professional business man i will be damned if i am going to be dealt with the way they dealt with me.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM

c63
isnt it able to put a amg into dyno mode whick removes all torque limiting factors abs esp bas and traction control using the steering wheel controls?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
The software my tuner uses allows us to change shift points, i know this because we did it together. We can change shift points for each gear via the ecu, how ever i do not know about tcu tuning. We have never touched the tcu though.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Powerchip
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting and being honest about what you can and can't do.

I can confirm that your skill set that you indicate is exactly the same as Powerchips.

That is not to say both Powerchip and Eurocharged modify exactly the same maps, I'm sure we don't. I'm saying Powerchip can't reprogram the TCU by programming the engine ECU. No tuner can, it's impossible.
Your reply is the reason why I started this thread, because when MHP say the ECU tune they buy from Europe for a 63 is remapping the TCU on a 7 speed auto, it is a lie.

Obviously, it makes it an unfair playing field when a competitor tells deliberate and intentional lies in order to try to create a false competitive advantage.

There are people posting in this thread that have not disclosed that they are directly or indirectly associated with a competitor.

I have asked Internet Brands to look into this and hope that the discussion can return to the topic of MHP's 63 ECU/TCU and "CDT".

Thanks again for being a professional competitor and telling the truth.

I just wish Andy from MHP would stop trying to create an overall impression about being able to reprogram the TCU on a 7 speed auto.

He hasn't. He can't. His secret tuner hasn't and can't.
Wayne:

Since this was your thread, I feel compelled to ask you the question that I asked Jerry above.

Why don't YOU tell us what can an can not be done from the ECU in regards to the TCU/tranny?

I don't feel it is fair for Jerry to answer this one as YOU were the one that started this issue.

So, what can Powerchip do at the ECU?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything
So, what can Powerchip do at the ECU?[/QUOTE]

I will get the techs to prepare a summary and post it late afternoon.

I will probably post what we do as a seperate thread, this thread is really about what MHP do or say they can do.

But I agree it's of interest that we say what we can do.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
This thread is a complete FAIL. You will never see tuning companies like Kleemann or RennTech make this type of accusing threads about other companies. So regarding the subject, I was confirmed by a certified Mercedes tech a long time ago that there is no way in hell that someone or any tuning company can tune or modify the TCU via the ECU as the TCU (transmission control unit) must be accessed separately. But again people believe whatever they want. If MHP advertises their tune as ECU/TCU and people pay for it, it is their problem. Now for another vendor like Powerchip to come here and criticize or flame another tuner is simply unethical and shows the lack of professionalism Powerchip has.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by soldier2304
This thread is a complete FAIL. You will never see tuning companies like Kleemann or RennTech make this type of accusing threads about other companies. So regarding the subject, I was confirmed by a certified Mercedes tech a long time ago that there is no way in hell that someone or any tuning company can tune or modify the TCU via the ECU as the TCU (transmission control unit) must be accessed separately. But again people believe whatever they want. If MHP advertises their tune as ECU/TCU and people pay for it, it is their problem. Now for another vendor like Powerchip to come here and criticize or flame another tuner is simply unethical and shows the lack of professionalism Powerchip has.
plus 1 why does PC care about what MHP is selling.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but you know who I really kinda feel sorry for, through all this? evosport. Because if PC goes berserk and acts wildly childish and unprofessional against various competitors of theirs (how many people have recently posted "given what I've seen, I would never use Powerchip." - a dozen or more?), it almost has to negatively impact evosport, even though they're not involved in the misbehavior. A shame, too, because I think evosport does a good job for the MB/AMG aftermarket.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Regardless if MHP can tune he TCU or not, their tune still squashes yours. I consider TCU tuning to be raising shift points/rev limiters, increasing shift firmness/quickness, maybe increasing torque loads. BTW I have a kleemann tune that I am really happy with.

I've also learned in business never worry about what or try to outdo what your competitor is doing because you'll lose your identity and success in the process. At the end of the day, looks like powerchip is losing.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
Powerchip is a strange company.

Initially i had a cordial and mutually beneficial relationship with Wayne Besanko However i then decided to remove my powerchip tune and go with vath and wanted to ship my ML63 ecu back to them to be flashed back to stock. i then received what i considered to be an insulting email from Wayne which i responded to in kind. At that point wayne directed one of his employees to send me a confidentiality 'agreement' which demanded that i would never speak, post or write the word "powerchip' ever again!! this is not a joke.

A full legal document was sent to me for signing, which even in the absence of my signature they considered 'binding'. While i might have only 3/4 of a law degree from the University of Queensland even i know no one is bound by an agreement they don't sign. The absurdity of it was beyond belief and one of the strangest thing i have ever encountered. I never responded to this garbage.

I decided i no longer wanted anything to do with that business and my ECU was sent to Vath in Germany who wiped it clean. They then let me know that they found some strange device soldered onto it by powerchip and almost damaged it. They removed this piece of rogue hardware for me

Strange strange strange

I am a professional business man i will be damned if i am going to be dealt with the way they dealt with me.
This is EXACTLY one of the points I tried to make in my earlier post. There are much more unhappy or unsatisfied Powerchip customers than people think; specifically much more than MHP. The difference is that on this forum, not too many threads about unhappy Powerchip customers are ever started or if started, eventually gets closed or deleted. Your post explains one of the reasons why that happens. And even the few threads that do end-up making it on here, they are usually responded to very heavily.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 09-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM

E63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but you know who I really kinda feel sorry for, through all this? evosport. Because if PC goes berserk and acts wildly childish and unprofessional against various competitors of theirs (how many people have recently posted "given what I've seen, I would never use Powerchip." - a dozen or more?), it almost has to negatively impact evosport, even though they're not involved in the misbehavior. A shame, too, because I think evosport does a good job for the MB/AMG aftermarket.
Exactly my man. I look at evosport and see a company with good products, all kinds of products from carbon fiber roofs and lighter brake rotors to things like titanium brake shims that noone else makes. Then I look at powerchip and wonder why they would even associate with someone like that?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM

E63

I will probably post what we do as a seperate thread, this thread is really about what MHP do or say they can do.

MHP do what they say, I say this because of what their customers show and tell me.
I dont care what MHP calls their tuning now more than ever. They could call it cat litter and I would still buy it over your product because of customer results over what you offer and especially after this thread. In case you were wondering my car is 100% stock and until I decide what route to go will stay that way so no fanboy here.
Why dont I care what you can do. Because you have no customer results to prove it. I dont take tuners words for things, I look for non related people using the products. You are a huge company but there are no good results for anything you do for these cars how can that be?
so cry some more about having someone in adminitration look into members because they wont give you their home address while you sit here and slam another business into the ground and attack another members child and ignore a thread and website where you could address them directly and are even reading their thread but not responding. Sad angry man.

Last edited by RStevens63; 09-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
You know when you have an idea in your mind that something exists in a certain way and then reality comes along and it turns out to be completely opposite of what you thought?

Yeah... that.

This thread should have been closed 4 pages ago. I got an infraction for posting a pic from the movie Cannon Ball Run , I cant imagine calling out another sponsor is tolerated.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I totally agree, why are these companies associated? the efficacy of PC seems so ambiguous to me its hard to nderstand. I had a greast experience with PC upgrade of my ML, power seemed great, UNTIL car went into limp mode when i nailed it that i became afraid to push it ever again and then went with another vendor and had to endure the owner's brain explosion and absurd legal demands. The more i think about it the more p*ssed i get about it. The hell with you powerhip and your off the shelf techtec crap
Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
*** ADMIN HERE ***

Listen - All please CALM down. A Sponsor of this site (you know, the ones that PAY for you to all be able to post here) started a thread asking for a technical discussion. This turned into a flame war. I have attempted to moderate what I can without taking out too much that could relate at all, but some of you shoudl be ashamed of yourself for your behaviour. We are not children, so let's not act that way.

Was this thread a good idea? Well we all have our own thoughts on that one. I think it was not the best, but it is not for me, you or any user to voice that or care - a sponsor started a thread asking for technical data or real experiences. A mature discussion could have and in some posts did ensue - can we get back on topic?

Specifically some points:

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If you want to discuss that maybe you should unban Andy.
You know very well that Powerchip had nothing to do with Andy's status on this site. That was MHP and Andy's doing on his own. The decision was 100% Internet Brand's (I know this as I was cc'ed on ALL the discussion and emails between IB and Andy as I am the admin and one of the site founders - this is not hearsay).

Originally Posted by Dads C63
You are a sponsor and obviously not a very intelligent one if you are starting a thread that ask a question that the individual that can answer can't post. Go to another forum where he can answer you. You've already been banned from bimmerboost so why start trouble here?? Why hide behind a forum that will protect you from him replying?? Whats the point and I sincerely hope it gets deleted. Where's the moderator when we need one??
Admin here now. I cannot tell you why a moderator did not jump in before. I have known about this thread for 3 days or so, but have not had ANY time to look. I would have hoped our moderation staff would have jumped in, I will talk to them.

As for the need to moderate the OP, that is not accurate. There is nothing wrong with the initial post from a TOU perspective.

Originally Posted by harrower
This type of thread is useless and counter productive unless all parties are able to participate. I am not sure why Andy has been banned, but would suggest that mods allow Andy rights to participate in this. .
The site owner will most likley never that happen due to situations taht occured and MHP's reaction/tact in dealing with them. They are dealing with the consequences of their own actions with regards to IB sites.

Originally Posted by amgph
i believe they were called out several times allready and didnt anwser this is my opinion im not sure if it is correct can any one help?
There was a lengthy discussion on this, FYI, on many threads. It is fair to say it never occured, but not that it was not replied to.

Originally Posted by RStevens63
You do know that powerchip was banned from this site for several months recently? That they are banned from other sites presently as well?
Apparently you have some knowledge that I as Admin do not? Please feel free to share. Powerchip is clearly a sponsor on this site.

The thing is there are other cars racing at the track with just a tune and drag radials, they just aren't making it into the 11s they are on dragtimes take a look.
You must realize that only like 1% of AMG owners ever go to the track, right? It is very nieve to think that dragtimes is the complete indicator of anything (good or bad) for any tuning company. In this industry, vendors deal with niche markets. Clearly MHP focusses on the 1/4 mile market. That is great for them, but that is not a stamp against ANY other tuner/vendor.

Again - KEEP IT ON TOPIC!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Exactly my man. I look at evosport and see a company with good products, all kinds of products from carbon fiber roofs and lighter brake rotors to things like titanium brake shims that noone else makes. Then I look at powerchip and wonder why they would even associate with someone like that?
Thank you for the nice words. We use Powerchip as we have had great results for 8+ years. Have there been issues and speed bumps - of course. However, the good has won out and we have seen better results and support for our customers and product line then we would have with any other software tuner as of yet!

You may dislike some or all of the staff at Powerchip (as you may not like the staff at evosport, MHP, Renntech, etc - this is personal preference), but the performance is there in the product.

thanks
brad
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Was this thread a good idea? Well we all have our own thoughts on that one. I think it was not the best, but it is not for me, you or any user to voice that or care - a sponsor started a thread asking for technical data or real experiences.

As for the need to moderate the OP, that is not accurate. There is nothing wrong with the initial post from a TOU perspective.
Brad, along the lines of my comments in PM I am very sad to see your opinion on this topic. I feel this is stepping over the line of protecting sponsors into allowing and legitimizing R&D piracy. I hope you will reconsider. If not, I'll exit this thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Founder

Have not seen a PM - will look.

However, this is nowhere near IP theft or piracy with regards to the original post. Asking for a techical discussion on what can or is being done is not even close to theft. Even if particulars were given, that would not cross the lines as it is impossible to translate words into computer code. See what I mean? If data-stream was asked for or taken, that is a very different story.

thanks
brad
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM

E63
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Apparently you have some knowledge that I as Admin do not? Please feel free to share. Powerchip is clearly a sponsor on this site.

You must realize that only like 1% of AMG owners ever go to the track, right? It is very nieve to think that dragtimes is the complete indicator of anything (good or bad) for any tuning company. In this industry, vendors deal with niche markets. Clearly MHP focusses on the 1/4 mile market. That is great for them, but that is not a stamp against ANY other tuner/vendor.

Again - KEEP IT ON TOPIC!
About 3-4 months ago I came on here as a visitor before signing up and it said "Banned" under powerchips username.

1% of AMG owners may go to the track but not all are MPH customers in fact they seem like a smaller outfit. Other larger tuners must have as many if not more customers racing just not posting results. I think Dads car and others do more than perform at the 1/4 strip like VBox standing mile but I dont want anymore infraction points for "advertising" even though my car is stock.

If no one is allowed to talk about MPH products then why not post it as a sticky so we know that coming in?? Im not a mindreader!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Founder

About 3-4 months ago I came on here as a visitor before signing up and it said "Banned" under powerchips username.
This is news to me, but if it were so, it was likely a clitch and it was rectified shortly after I am sure (as they are currently sponsors)

1% of AMG owners may go to the track but not all are MPH customers in fact they seem like a smaller outfit. Other larger tuners must have as many if not more customers racing just not posting results.
i doubt that to be honest. I have followed this industry for 15 years and it was only in the last 2 years that I have realy ever seen any MBZ guys go to the drag strip. There has been a large niche group on the net that has been going lately, but it is really a new thing IMHO.

I think Dads car and others do more than perform at the 1/4 strip like VBox standing mile but I dont want anymore infraction points for "advertising" even though my car is stock.
Keith's car works great, that is for sure - no arguement.

If no one is allowed to talk about MPH products then why not post it as a sticky so we know that coming in?? Im not a mindreader!
People are clearly allowed to talk about MHP. You know this as I sent you a PM as well. What people cannot do is advertise for MHP as per Internet Brands direction.

thanks
Brad
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 AM

2011 C63 "The Beast"
Wow. This is a complete FAIL. But for TCMs I was looking at Kleeman's website yesterday and they have something for this maybe. It says though that it's mainly for the 5 speed automatics instead of the 7 speeds in the C63.
Here's the link: http://www.kleemann.dk/Performance/P...uUpgrades.aspx
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon

Did this ever happen?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Did this ever happen?
It never happens! Just like anyone with there tune showing to a track rental or posting anything good about there tunes! I think this thread was on the third page and dieing fast let's not bring it back to life!! See you friday we can test the Mhp products??? Again!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by dodger63
It never happens! Just like anyone with there tune showing to a track rental or posting anything good about there tunes! I think this thread was on the third page and dieing fast let's not bring it back to life!! See you friday we can test the Mhp products??? Again!!!!

LOL! See you Friday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?