Bizarre message after refueling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Bizarre message after refueling

So I just put gas on my car (17.501 galons by the way). I drove away from the gas station and after driving for 1 mile all the sudden I get a message on the dash:

gas cap loose!!. I noticed that the message was not making the dash turn red. Additionally I got the small amber fuel dispenser sign blinking.

I got off the car while the car was in park but still running and I rechecked the gas cap which by the way it was locked/closed.
I then turned off completely the engine (removing the key completely) and restarted it but still the same thing.
I kept driving thinking that by restarting the engine and removing the key it would reset itself but no luck. I was then waiting for a message to appear on the message center but it never did.
Kept driving some more and got the same message on the display (gas cap loose). I reopened the gas cap and closed it for the third time. I even stopped the car on the side of the road and now I had the small amber fuel dispenser light blinking even with the key removed.

Is this weird or what? basically the message still stay on even when I triple and cuadruple closed the gas cap(even though I closed in the first place). Red light dash warning never lit.

Comments please!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
YEAH happens to me also every so often. Initially I took it to the dealer and they said nothing. Another time they said it was some sensor/filter (BS) and they cleared it. Then again when I was driving it came on again and after driving some more it went away. I don't get it but because I KNOW the cap is tight, I just forget about it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
I heard from 3 different shops now that every single c63 owner they know that has done work with them has had recalls for their gas caps. the shop that did my brabus install. the rims shop and the exhaust shop. I thought it was very odd cause they told me that in the span on 5 days and tonight 2 days after that i read this.. guess its a recall in the making..
Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
In the span of owning the car for two months, this has happened to me "only" when I have nearly topped off the fuel tank. When it has happened, it goes away on its own, probably as the fuel level goes down. I would actually be surprised if they did a recall from this, since its likely owner instigated; even though the cap is not loose. I have never seen it happen to me under any other condition.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
A little feedback after it happened again two more timers (3 times total). Well, it is very veey clear to me that this is a issue related more with the fact of "over filling" the car rather than not putting the cap tight.

I had the same symtoms, flashing fuel light on the dash and message saying "cap loose". Anyways, I got home and I parked the car, then I opened the small gas door and I was reading a small stoickers that reads: "DO not top off".

I am positive that this is actually the issue, I don't just fill , I am the type of guy that keeps dripping gas in small quantities until I see the gas virtually overflowing and dropping to the floor.

In other words, most of you guys fill the car and perhaps stop at soon as the gas pump rejects the foam and bubbles , I keep going and I think this is the issue. More to come.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
such a waste of time and energy, so why do it....17.5 gallons isnt our tank 17.1, you swallow the rest
Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I had this happen once, IIRC it triggered a CEL too.. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it.. It was a bad gas cap I believe..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by C63newdude
A little feedback after it happened again two more timers (3 times total). Well, it is very veey clear to me that this is a issue related more with the fact of "over filling" the car rather than not putting the cap tight.

I had the same symtoms, flashing fuel light on the dash and message saying "cap loose". Anyways, I got home and I parked the car, then I opened the small gas door and I was reading a small stoickers that reads: "DO not top off".

I am positive that this is actually the issue, I don't just fill , I am the type of guy that keeps dripping gas in small quantities until I see the gas virtually overflowing and dropping to the floor.

In other words, most of you guys fill the car and perhaps stop at soon as the gas pump rejects the foam and bubbles , I keep going and I think this is the issue. More to come.
I would agree with you on the over filling and I think it has to do with the pressure.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Had the same issue. Dealer said it was gas cap. They replaced it, and it happened again. I myself replaced the purge valve with the updated one. Problem solved..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...lve-issue.html
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Never had this problem, but I've been having a "Tire Pressuring monitoring is not available at this time" or something along that line. They just replaced the one on the driver rear side. Might have to bring it in, if it keeps coming on.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
So it happened again and I can very much confirm that it happens when you fill it all the way. I put 17.9 galons. The message says: gas cap loose and the fuel reserve light flashes in orange.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM
JCH

2009 C63
I've had the CEL come on a few times after filling up. Goes away in a day or two. Now I stop at the first click of the pump. No problems since. I have also noticed that the inlet tube is very sensitive to a pump with a fast flow. Sometimes I have to fiddle with it and hold it in place to fill up otherwise it keeps shutting off.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by JCH
I've had the CEL come on a few times after filling up. Goes away in a day or two. Now I stop at the first click of the pump. No problems since. I have also noticed that the inlet tube is very sensitive to a pump with a fast flow. Sometimes I have to fiddle with it and hold it in place to fill up otherwise it keeps shutting off.
Is that what it is: fast flowing pumps that cause the gas to shut off unless you hold the lever in the handle in? It's rather annoying but only about 25% of the places I fill up at will fill up with the little stopper in the handle in place. Most of the time I have to squeeze the handle to fill up. It was like this on my last car too (Camaro).
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM

10 Steel Grey C63
Originally Posted by JCH
The new pumps with their vapor recovery are such a PIA. With my 911 Turbo you usually had to turn the pump upside down in order to get them to work. That always generated a lot of puzzled looks...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Usually after filling the only message I get is

"FILL ME AGAIN"

Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Jeffield