c63's w factory alcantara headliner ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
c63's w factory alcantara headliner ??

mbusa.com website does NOT outline standard options in the least.....
i know keyless go was offered with the 10's - does any year c63 offer or come standard w alcantara headliner? thx
Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Not in the US. Believe in Europe, you may be able to get it with the leather dash.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
amg designo customizations are available anywhere. You just have to be willing to pay big $ and your dealer will have to contact amg directly. For something like that a custom shop may be easier and cheaper.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Yeah, i was told $1300 for headliner, visors, a,b,c pillars. Wish the extended leather was just an option here. It makes the interior look SO much better.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Yeah, i was told $1300 for headliner, visors, a,b,c pillars. Wish the extended leather was just an option here. It makes the interior look SO much better.
i totally agree! i would have paid for it.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

please explain extended leather
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is extended leather (leather dash) available on US cars...?
don't see it on website?

and the DR 520 was never released in US either correct ?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Extended leather dash, and upper door panels may be attainable if you find the right dealer, and plan to spend alot of cash.

The DR 520 is not available here.

Heres some more. Upper, and lower leather dash. door panels.

Last edited by obsidian05e55; 01-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
Originally Posted by blackc230benzo
amg designo customizations are available anywhere. You just have to be willing to pay big $ and your dealer will have to contact amg directly. For something like that a custom shop may be easier and cheaper.
Beg to differ on this point and here's why. Between March 2010 and June 2010, I tried coordinating directly with Affalterbach before my car was finished its build, waited patiently and was strung along without a definitive answer. After I picked up my car from Sindelfingen this past August, I drove to straight to AMG, spoke face-to-face with my contact and was told because I have a US spec C63, they could not and would not do the Designo leather install even though I was willing to pay; "a legal issue from an engineering standpoint" somehow impacting the air bag system was the explanation. A totally lame reason as I see the install as purely aesthetic, but I could not get AMG to budge at all. The only offer for my US spec ride was the Affalterbach shift knob. I did get a nice tour of their shop and saw some partial Designo installs (of course, one was a new C63) as well as some other custom and race ready AMGs.

This past November, I even posed the question to Private Lounge during a chat session, citing since it was only an aesthetic difference and not truely safety related, why wouldn't MBUSA offer the Designo interior option. The PL rep concurred with my view, but generally echoed the airbag/safety differences between Euro standards and US standards. He did add, however, MBUSA planned futher inquiry and "possibly" push for Designo as an option for future US C63 models (2012+, obviously too late for 2011). No promises, of course.

Of course, I could be mistaken in all of this and someone may have had greater success than me. If an owner of a US spec C63 has acquired the Desgino interior, I would love to hear how they managed their success. Pics too, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by EC C63
Beg to differ on this point and here's why. Between March 2010 and June 2010, I tried coordinating directly with Affalterbach before my car was finished its build, waited patiently and was strung along without a definitive answer. After I picked up my car from Sindelfingen this past August, I drove to straight to AMG, spoke face-to-face with my contact and was told because I have a US spec C63, they could not and would not do the Designo leather install even though I was willing to pay; "a legal issue from an engineering standpoint" somehow impacting the air bag system was the explanation. A totally lame reason as I see the install as purely aesthetic, but I could not get AMG to budge at all. The only offer for my US spec ride was the Affalterbach shift knob. I did get a nice tour of their shop and saw some partial Designo installs (of course, one was a new C63) as well as some other custom and race ready AMGs.

This past November, I even posed the question to Private Lounge during a chat session, citing since it was only an aesthetic difference and not truely safety related, why wouldn't MBUSA offer the Designo interior option. The PL rep concurred with my view, but generally echoed the airbag/safety differences between Euro standards and US standards. He did add, however, MBUSA planned futher inquiry and "possibly" push for Designo as an option for future US C63 models (2012+, obviously too late for 2011). No promises, of course.

Of course, I could be mistaken in all of this and someone may have had greater success than me. If an owner of a US spec C63 has acquired the Desgino interior, I would love to hear how they managed their success. Pics too, would be greatly appreciated.
I said designo customizations are available. Not necessarily the dash you wanted. For sure the paint's, I wrapped my 2010 in matte black, and my dealer told me someone else in the city just ordered AMG's designo matte black on their c63 coming this spring. Maybe MB Canada has different rules?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 E63S

your bang on. I tried to push designo on my Canadian-spec AMG and the alcantara headliner and exterior paint was as far as i got... neither appealed to me as I was also looking for a leather dash to repalce the fisher-price plastic dash i would be subjected to. Although cost was never discussed. In the end, the dash had grown on me and was a moot point.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I drove to straight to AMG, spoke face-to-face with my contact and was told because I have a US spec C63, they could not and would not do the Designo leather install even though I was willing to pay; "a legal issue from an engineering standpoint" somehow impacting the air bag system was the explanation. A totally lame reason as I see the install as purely aesthetic, but I could not get AMG to budge at all.
<snip>
This past November, I even posed the question to Private Lounge during a chat session, citing since it was only an aesthetic difference and not truely safety related, why wouldn't MBUSA offer the Designo interior option. The PL rep concurred with my view, but generally echoed the airbag/safety differences between Euro standards and US standards.
The answers you received were accurate. In order to comply with US (and Canadian) safety regs, the leather covered dashboard must be tested and proven separately from the standard dashboard to ensure compliant airbag deployment. Due to the low expected take rate and high cost of testing, the leather dashboard was not tested and thus cannot be offered in US/Canada on the C 63. The same holds true for the nappa leather dashboard offered abroad in the W212 E 63.

designo leather seating surfaces are not offered on the C 63 because US cars use a different weight sensing system in the passenger seat versus European models. This requires a different seat/leather design, which would need to be unique for US/Canada. Again, due to low demand, not feasible. For this same reason (the unique weight sensing system), the dynamc-drive multicontour seats are only offered on the driver's side of US/Canadian E-Class sedan models.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK so what if an individual LOVED for instance the All-leather C-class dash, absolutely HAD to have a C63 - and wanted, at any cost, the leather dash (money no concern.) Obviously they cannot order a car with their desired, imperative combination.... could they then import a Euro car with those options? How difficult to federalize/register in the states ??

Hypothetical only, I'm not doing this.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thank the DOT for all this BS. It's a constant battle. Once a car is certified for the US, there is no way to make any significant changes that would require recertification and it's simply too expensive for the manufacturer especially for such small production numbers.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Best we can do is find a very high end shop to rip your interior apart, and wrap everything exactly how you want it. Its probably cheaper too. Will it ever be as good as AMG doing it? Hard to say.

Here's CEC example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WuMG...layer_embedded

Last edited by obsidian05e55; 01-05-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 AM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
I said designo customizations are available. Not necessarily the dash you wanted. For sure the paint's, I wrapped my 2010 in matte black, and my dealer told me someone else in the city just ordered AMG's designo matte black on their c63 coming this spring. Maybe MB Canada has different rules?
Not trying to pick a fight, but this is your quote...

To me, this meant you were only referring to AMG; hence my post. If the leather install is purely aftermarket and not installed from the AMG shop in Affalterbach, then it doesn't warrant the AMG name IMHO.

Great, if a customer is able to get the Designo paint. A nice option, for sure. But the thread was based on an interior question (tied to my response) and your original post didn't differentiate.

I think especially us US (and Canadian) spec owners would appreciate any interior views and upgrade options; as long as we know and can trust the source. A good reference, with pics wouldn't hurt. The CEC shop appears to be a good place to start to get your interior exactly how you want it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
I just bought a C63 new in Calgary. I wanted matte black but was told it wasn't available for the C63. Matte black (from the 'night edition' SL) was not available on the C. My sales guy showed me the book they use and all the other matte colors were available except black. Quite frustrating.

Cost for any matte color was $5000 for the paint + $1200 in 'special order' fees.

He also told me that they could not do the extended leather in Canada either. I find it very strange that other model lines (E class, SL, CLS) can have a leather dash but it isn't available in the C. Frustrating. My friend's 2010 M3 competition package has a gorgeous interior. One would think a merc would be the more luxurious of the two, but not so IMO.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Not trying to pick a fight, but this is your quote...

To me, this meant you were only referring to AMG; hence my post. If the leather install is purely aftermarket and not installed from the AMG shop in Affalterbach, then it doesn't warrant the AMG name IMHO.

Great, if a customer is able to get the Designo paint. A nice option, for sure. But the thread was based on an interior question (tied to my response) and your original post didn't differentiate.

I think especially us US (and Canadian) spec owners would appreciate any interior views and upgrade options; as long as we know and can trust the source. A good reference, with pics wouldn't hurt. The CEC shop appears to be a good place to start to get your interior exactly how you want it.
Well I guess by highlighting certain words of my post you can come up with your own interpretations. I said AMG designo options are available in Canada. This is true as AMG designo paints are available in canada on the c63. Also the OP showed interest not on the dash but the headliner specifically, which can be done as obsidian stated here :
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
I Hope I simplified my post for you EC and good luck with the leather dash.

Originally Posted by Chocofishez
I just bought a C63 new in Calgary. I wanted matte black but was told it wasn't available for the C63. Matte black (from the 'night edition' SL) was not available on the C. My sales guy showed me the book they use and all the other matte colors were available except black. Quite frustrating.

Cost for any matte color was $5000 for the paint + $1200 in 'special order' fees.

He also told me that they could not do the extended leather in Canada either. I find it very strange that other model lines (E class, SL, CLS) can have a leather dash but it isn't available in the C. Frustrating. My friend's 2010 M3 competition package has a gorgeous interior. One would think a merc would be the more luxurious of the two, but not so IMO.
A guy in Canada just ordered a matte black c63 from my MB dealership. I have an obsidian black c63 that I have vinyl wrapped. On my last visit to the dealership, the sales manager joked that I should have waited because I could have had a factory matte finish. I even went as far as sitting down with him to discuss trading up a model year but in the end it was too big of a loss just for paint. For those who are interested it is the same paint as the night edition SL designo magno night black. Which is a matte black with a bit of a light gold flaking.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
A guy in Canada just ordered a matte black c63 from my MB dealership.
Don't believe it until you see it. MAGNO night black hasn't been released for any cars other than the S, SL and the G-Wagen at this point.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Don't believe it until you see it. MAGNO night black hasn't been released for any cars other than the S, SL and the G-Wagen at this point.
I really hope it isn't true since I want the only matte black c63 in town. I'll know for sure in the spring when the order is delivered. BTW My dealer had an SL night edition and it's really cool in person. Pics def don't due justice. On the other hand the Alubeam $14000 option they had on the SLS, nice but wow 14k.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM

2014 E63 S
I really hope it isn't true since I want the only matte black c63 in town. I'll know for sure in the spring when the order is delivered. BTW My dealer had an SL night edition and it's really cool in person. Pics def don't due justice. On the other hand the Alubeam $14000 option they had on the SLS, nice but wow 14k.
If your friend thinks he's getting matte black I'd suggest he call his dealer ASAP. He'll be choked when he goes to pick up his car and it's the regular black or matte grey. There might be time to change it.

I tried to get matte black on a 2011. Have a great relationship with my dealer too. No dice.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM

If your friend thinks he's getting matte black I'd suggest he call his dealer ASAP. He'll be choked when he goes to pick up his car and it's the regular black or matte grey. There might be time to change it.

I tried to get matte black on a 2011. Have a great relationship with my dealer too. No dice.
Do people here actually read the treads or just look at the letters? Again,the person who ordered the matte black c63 is not a friend of any sort. A salesman at the dealership told me he ordered a customer a matte black c63. I don't know when you tried to order yours? This was just before christmas. In november 2009 you couldn't get p31, in December you could. Things change. There still might be time to order yourself a matte black c63 and change your order. This dealership has had success selling SL night editions so maybe they have an easier time than others.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM

2014 E63 S
Do people here actually read the treads or just look at the letters? Again,the person who ordered the matte black c63 is not a friend of any sort. A salesman at the dealership told me he ordered a customer a matte black c63. I don't know when you tried to order yours? This was just before christmas. In november 2009 you couldn't get p31, in December you could. Things change. There still might be time to order yourself a matte black c63 and change your order. This dealership has had success selling SL night editions so maybe they have an easier time than others.
I bought my car on Dec 31.... so this is pretty recent. It makes no sense to me why this color wouldn't be available, but like other posters I was told I couldn't get it.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It makes no sense to me why this color wouldn't be available
Surprisingly, offering a unique/new color isn't as simple as tossing a different drum of paint into the spray booth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c63's w factory alcantara headliner ??