Sponsored by:

Question about MCT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
Question about MCT

Since the 2012 c63 is getting the MCT I just wanted to clear something up about the gearbox. The MCT does not use two clutches to shift like a DCT does but instead uses one wet clutch for start up and another clutch to shift gears. So my question is how does the MCT shift in only 100 milliseconds with only a single clutch shifting? From my understanding a DCT uses two clutches to shift, so the next gear is ready to enage before it even shifts, and that is why it can shift so fast. So how does the MCT with only one clutch doing the shifting able to shift virtually just as fast?

Last edited by Joeparkshang; 01-29-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
SMG II was 80ms with a single clutch.

The 335 6-speed Auto also shifted in 100ms with a standard torque converter.

MCT's advantage isn't shifting speed, it is launch control.

DSG is even faster.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Lexus IS F does a 100ms shift with a torque converter.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by Joeparkshang
Since the 2012 c63 is getting the MCT I just wanted to clear something up about the gearbox. The MCT does not use two clutches to shift like a DCT does but instead uses one wet clutch for start up and another clutch to shift gears. So my question is how does the MCT shift in only 100 milliseconds with only a single clutch shifting? From my understanding a DCT uses two clutches to shift, so the next gear is ready to enage before it even shifts, and that is why it can shift so fast. So how does the MCT with only one clutch doing the shifting able to shift virtually just as fast?

Dude.....MCT stands for Multi Clutch Technology....

"It combines the sporty, direct and agile feedback of a manual transmission and the maximum convenience of an automatic transmission. Fitted with seven speeds, four drive modes, a double-declutching and Race Start function, the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission offers unprecedented versatility. MCT employs clutch elements to perform gearshifts. Vibrations are effectively eliminated by a new, two-stage torsion damper, with resulting benefits in perceived passenger comfort.

"Automatic double-declutching function for even more emotional appeal. Ultra-fast, spontaneous multiple downshifts are another forte of the new MCT sports transmission. For instance, kickdown lets you move straight from seventh down to fourth gear or from fifth to second. In the Sport, Sport plus and Manual modes the automatic double-declutching function is active. Every manual or automatic downshift is accompanied by precisely metered double-declutching. And this not only adds to the driver’s emotional experience: the virtually load-free downshift minimises load-change reactions, which pays dividends particularly when braking into a bend on the racetrack.

In manual mode the driver also benefits from the high torque of the V8 engine, as there is no automatic downshift under full load and kickdown; the transmission remains steadfastly in the selected gear. Moreover, the AMG MCT sports transmission does not perform an automatic upshift in manual mode when the rev limit is reached. In MANUAL mode the AMG instrument cluster displays the current gear and alerts the driver to the need for an upshift just before the needle reaches the red zone. This means that a particularly sporty driver can use the superior performance potential to its fullest extent. When approaching the lower rev limit, e.g. when braking the vehicle, there is an automatic downshift to the next lower gear.

Last edited by callmiro; 01-29-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 PM

pontiac firefly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBhoEVSb_wU

more info about the MCT
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I have no idea how it works but the MCT in my SL63 is light years ahead of The C's. The shift times feel virtually instantaneous in SL. Yet Anither reason why the resale values in pre MCT C63s are sure to be annihilated.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Can't wait to see 1/4 mile times with it!

BTW in how many milliseconds does the current C63s shift in?

Last edited by chief63; 01-30-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
I cant wait for this. A 2012 is in my future for sure.

The thing is I really don't have problems with the speed the tranny shifts, but how the adaptation of this tranny completely destroys the experience of the car.

If the MCT tranny shifts harder and faster that will help times for sure, but if it adapts like the TCU does now it just gonna go into old lady mode but shift faster into it.

One thing I am looking forward to is downshifting. The C63 is a slug when it comes to finding those lower gears when at speed. So many times ive tried to pass a car in front of me... give it a little gas... a little more.... A LITTLE MORE.. SHIFT DAMN IT!! Then BAM!! It drops into 2nd gear at 60MPH and I scream past the car in front of me like a retard. This is without using the paddles of course. I hope it improves.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by ruthless
So basically the transmission is exactly the same, but the torque converter has been replaced by a clutch system for faster gear changes?

If so that's it, good news because if both transmissions stayed the same, we can just purchase the upgrade and fit it in...

That's assuming MB did not change the whole tranny (I would doubt they would)
Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by chief63
So basically the transmission is exactly the same, but the torque converter has been replaced by a clutch system for faster gear changes?

If so that's it, good news because if both transmissions stayed the same, we can just purchase the upgrade and fit it in...

I think it will probably need a new TCU as well to control the race start and double downshifts
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
It seriouslys is jerky? Have had my share of the SMG and i'm quite frankly done with that jerky crap...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by chief63

Just idle speculation on my point, but I'd wager it'll be prohibitively expensive to retrofit an MCT into a pre-MCT 7g-tronic... if it's even possible (I guess most anything is possible with enough money).
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
Does the MCT have the rev matching sound on downshifts like the present tranny in the C63
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by propain
I cant wait for this. A 2012 is in my future for sure.

The thing is I really don't have problems with the speed the tranny shifts, but how the adaptation of this tranny completely destroys the experience of the car.

If the MCT tranny shifts harder and faster that will help times for sure, but if it adapts like the TCU does now it just gonna go into old lady mode but shift faster into it.

One thing I am looking forward to is downshifting. The C63 is a slug when it comes to finding those lower gears when at speed. So many times ive tried to pass a car in front of me... give it a little gas... a little more.... A LITTLE MORE.. SHIFT DAMN IT!! Then BAM!! It drops into 2nd gear at 60MPH and I scream past the car in front of me like a retard. This is without using the paddles of course. I hope it improves.
There's a way to fix that...Just give it A LOT MORE gas if u want the downshift. lolz
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
The whole front half of the transmission is different. You can not install a wet clutch in a non wet clutch transmission. The stator shaft is in the way and the input shaft is different. The valve body and control unit are of course. I have not checked recently but all the parts have to be ordered by vin for a fitted car. I ordered a wet clutch to fit to an older transmission as a possibility and I had to order off of a vin on the show room floor at work. Availability is very low.
I think that if you got all the parts that it could work though. The bigger question is what other programming needs to be done. This would easily cost 7,000 and up though.