Dad accidentally did burn out my car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Dad accidentally did burn out my car!

My car had only 55 miles on it. I let him test drive it, bad idea. Mind you he's 64. I told him to turn on the car by holding the brake and pressing the ignition. However, he never let go of the brake...during reverse the car wasn't really moving so he stepped on the gas a bit and hit around 2-3k rpm, and the car kinda shook. I yelled at him to just stop there and park it, so I could take a look. I thought the car was malfunctioning because I didn't know he held the brake. I was about to exit the car to check, and he put it in drive...and stepped on the gas, probably flooring it. Yet again, he still didn't let off the brake. He held it for a good 5 seconds, and I yelled at him to stop. I did not take a look at the tachometer since it was so quick, but I think he redlined it because I heard the engine going really high, with a new engine! I have yet to rev the engine as high as he did. To be honest, I'm glad it was in C MODE with ESP ON, that way the car shifted at a lower rpm, and not causing damage, but also shifting during burnout is bad also? He finally put the car in park and he sobbed with a sadface. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me that he got confused because he was overexcited. He told me damn that keyless go, and I lol'ed. Do you think he did damage to the car? He left 3 sets of tire marks. He basically did a burnout in reverse, and in drive. Comments. I was a bit upset yesterday, but now I'm over it.

Last edited by khmergod; 01-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Your car has low miles, but I don't think a 4-5 second burnout would cause any damage. They don't recommend driving too hard during a break-in period, but you know EVERYONE stomps on it when they first get it. As long as he didn't crash into a wall or something worse-you should be fine.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Your car has low miles, but I don't think a 4-5 second burnout would cause any damage. They don't recommend driving too hard during a break-in period, but you know EVERYONE stomps on it when they first get it. As long as he didn't crash into a wall or something worse-you should be fine.
Thanks for the positive feedback, makes me feel a little better. His first time burning out a car, and I have yet to do it, and I don't plan to since I don't track lol.

Thank you, sir!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C63 w/ P31
You are good to go! Dont stress...maybe just warm the car up before you let him drive it next time, if there is a next time.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I highly doubt your dad did any damage for such quick bursts. On top of that, you had the car in C mode, which mostly likely shifted the car at 5k rpm.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
You are good to go! Dont stress...maybe just warm the car up before you let him drive it next time, if there is a next time.
I felt bad after yelling at him so much. So what I did was let him drive about 100 miles, later that evening. He smiled the whole time. I however, in the backseat, had *** numbage throughout the whole ride. Didn't think the ride was that harsh for passengers in the rear. I felt great in the driver's seat though...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
I wouldn't think twice about any of this. How many miles did you say were on the car when you got it? none of those were "break in" miles. a break in is a thing of the past. go out to the car right now turn traction control completely off and stomp on the gas. Have fun it's just a car and one that carries a full warranty.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by JeffDL
I wouldn't think twice about any of this. How many miles did you say were on the car when you got it? none of those were "break in" miles. a break in is a thing of the past. go out to the car right now turn traction control completely off and stomp on the gas. Have fun it's just a car and one that carries a full warranty.
Love your last sentence lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Over the years I've come across several schools of thought concerning the break-in process...
"You break your car in by doing a donut in the dealership parking lot,"
"Your cars are like your kids. Treat them like a pu**y and they grow up to be a pu**y,"
"You have to follow the break-in to the letter, otherwise the pistons don't seat properly and you'll leak oil,"
"The manufacturer must know what's best for my engine,"

Bottom line, I think it's somewhere in between those sentiments.
I think you're car will be fine...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brilliant Silver CLK 320
Yeah...accidentally
Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Don't worry about it. Your engine already got a burn / break in at AMG so it will be fine. The 1000 miles break in is actually for the transmission, but since your car didn't really go anywhere during this incident and only rev'ed for such a short time, everything should be fine. It's an AMG after all .

Sheep
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I wouldn't worry one bit. Nothing is going to happen to your car. On a side note, i had an AMG tech tell me at The AMG Challenge a few years ago that these engines do not need to be broken in.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
dont know much about the 63 engines, however all the guys with the highest hp numbers in the 55K engines stomped on them from day one!!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
No need to worry, Your car is fine.
I started driving the car hard the first day I bought it.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
I wouldn't worry one bit. Nothing is going to happen to your car. On a side note, i had an AMG tech tell me at The AMG Challenge a few years ago that these engines do not need to be broken in.
I hope you're right
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by khmergod
I hope you're right
Me too!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM

10 C63
I stomped on it with 30 miles and continue doing so. A car is just a tangible and material thing. It comes with a warranty for a reason. From my past experiences and others...the more you worry or care about a car the more 'events' you'll tend to have with it/in it.

I know many guys on forums from cars past (myself included). The more we/they seemed to baby their cars the worse they'd run into bad luck. Rock chips from a tractor trailer, being keyed, egged, hit n run, accidents, rear end collisions, door dings....hail storms

The list goes on and on. In my opinion, enjoy the car money comes/goes as do cars.

Take care of your car but don't let/allow the car to control you or your life. I remember how pissed I'd get for weeks/months when I'd rash one of my rims in my other cars...LOL.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by pdjafari
I stomped on it with 30 miles and continue doing so. A car is just a tangible and material thing. It comes with a warranty for a reason. From my past experiences and others...the more you worry or care about a car the more 'events' you'll tend to have with it/in it.

I know many guys on forums from cars past (myself included). The more we/they seemed to baby their cars the worse they'd run into bad luck. Rock chips from a tractor trailer, being keyed, egged, hit n run, accidents, rear end collisions, door dings....hail storms

The list goes on and on. In my opinion, enjoy the car money comes/goes as do cars.

Take care of your car but don't let/allow the car to control you or your life. I remember how pissed I'd get for weeks/months when I'd rash one of my rims in my other cars...LOL.
My dad probably did me a favor lol.

Last edited by khmergod; 01-31-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM

GLK350
Any pictures of the burn out (tire marks)?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by daiwong
Any pictures of the burn out (tire marks)?
Sorry, no, we were heading to Missouri City, TX, and we were at a gas station. He almost hit a car while reversing. Only a couple of cars were there at that time. I was so distraught that I didn't take pics. The marks were like hyphens tho, and not a straight line. I remember that most of them had about 4-5 marks like this == = == About 10-12 inches per equals signs if you understand what I'm saying. They were broken up like the white paint on the road. But there were 3 sets. LOL, thanks LSD for making them pairs instead of singles. Oh, and at first I didn't think he made any marks. But when I opened the door to go swap seats, I smelled smoke or probably burnt rubber. I was hoping it wasn't the engine. It actually might have beneficial of him holding the brake while reversing, since we didn't hit the car behind us. If he did floor it without holding the brake going reverse, I would have a damaged rear end.

Last edited by khmergod; 01-31-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Kind of reminds me of a time when I was a kid and my mom's husband at the time had a lowered chevy truck. I sat down in the front bench seat and my foot pressed the gas and with the doors open we (mom, him and me) went for an unexpected ride across a driveway and over a large bed of roses, finally dropping down over a street curb and coming to a stop in the street.

TS, I'm sure your car is fine. Must have been a scary moment.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by pdjafari
I did that Fri night, on top of my front passenger side tire getting slashed by something in the road (I was driving when it occurred, in DC). Pulled over to change tire.. unfortunately pulled into a giant slush/ice/snow pile (that was a fun tire change mind you), put on donut, tried to get out, got stuck, burned off about 1000 miles on my new rear tires, slid into the curb and ground up my rim while 3 people where pushing on my car to get it out..

I have moved on.. ordering replacement fronts (they needed to be replaced anyways, atleast it was not the new rears), will have someone fix the rim after winter is over..

Its a car.. use and abuse it, don't let it abuse you... Or do you let your wife make all the decisions in your house ( *looks around for my wife to make sure she does not read this* )
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
nice to see another texan on the forums. are you from the houston area?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by Sheep
Don't worry about it. Your engine already got a burn / break in at AMG so it will be fine. The 1000 miles break in is actually for the transmission, but since your car didn't really go anywhere during this incident and only rev'ed for such a short time, everything should be fine. It's an AMG after all .

Sheep
Yep he is right, your power plant is already broke in and its mainly the tranny that you have to be carefull with.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by shardul
nice to see another texan on the forums. are you from the houston area?
Yes. Northeast near west lake houston.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dad accidentally did burn out my car!