Sponsored by:

Power output of 6.2L V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Power output of 6.2L V8

Hello I have a question for all the engine experts out there. BTW I only know outputs in kW but you get the idea. From what I can work out the 6.2litre engine is available in a variety of tunes across the AMG range, from 336kw in the C63, 375kw in the ML63 and 386kw in the E63. However apart from the tune it is the exact same 6.2 litre engine ie same intake and exhaust systems, same internals etc.
You then have the "high output" version available in the Performance Package on the C63, which ups output to 358kw or thereabouts. However this sounds like quite a different engine ie it has different conrods, crankshaft and lightweight pistons etc. Which all sounds like a lot of work for AMG when they could just as easily stick say the E63 version of the engine in the C63, or even retune the "standard" engine to achieve the power outputs they need for the PP.
Am I missing something here or are the various versions of the 6.2 litre engine in the AMG range in fact different engines with different internals etc etc and not just different tunes??
Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Good question! I have often wondered that myself. I think it might have sometime to with emission regulations. The e63 engine was released some time ago and I think since then in Europe new emission limits have come into play there to improve the power for this updated C63 they have had to play with the internal components to make it compliant.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Same engine throughout the pre MY2012 "63" lineup. Just different states of tunes and exhaust tube diameter in the different models.

Performance pack (development pack or P31) adds forged bottom end in the C63. Its likely just a novelty but a great addition nonetheless. Some say lighter weight forged internals rotate and move faster. But really hard to prove.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
I think the 2010 onward c63's make more power than an 08/09 and when looking up part numbers for these later cars they have a 159 reference (sls derived)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
I am led to believe you can tune a standard C63 motor to the same level as a E63 motor. My car started off 260 rwkw before tune and ended up at 297 rwkw after, and this was on 20" wheels. The tuning gains for an E63 will be less than a C63 as the C63 motor has been de tuned from factory.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Same engine throughout the pre MY2012 "63" lineup. Just different states of tunes and exhaust tube diameter in the different models.

Performance pack (development pack or P31) adds forged bottom end in the C63. Its likely just a novelty but a great addition nonetheless. Some say lighter weight forged internals rotate and move faster. But really hard to prove.
I suspect that the P31 option would be quite a different motor to a "tuned" base C63 version or even the more powerful E63 versions. The lighter internals would make it rev faster and make it "feel" more powerful than the numbers would suggest?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red

Exactly, can't give the peasants what you provide the lords

No one other than AMG really knows exactly how the additional 30 hp is developed. It is stated that the ecu maps are modified but to what degree. Bigger question is how much stronger are these internals? I assume quite a bit as they exist primarily for the SLS and they are available in the P31 package simply to cover some of the tooling costs that MB incurred to produce a line of forged parts. I had a feeling the 6.2 would remain in the C63 for a while considering it shares most of the M159 core.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Exactly, can't give the peasants what you provide the lords

No one other than AMG really knows exactly how the additional 30 hp is developed. It is stated that the ecu maps are modified but to what degree. Bigger question is how much stronger are these internals? I assume quite a bit as they exist primarily for the SLS and they are available in the P31 package simply to cover some of the tooling costs that MB incurred to produce a line of forged parts. I had a feeling the 6.2 would remain in the C63 for a while considering it shares most of the M159 core.
Lol, all part of AMG fiefdom.

I think your point about including the forged parts in P31 to recoup tooling costs from the M159 is highly plausible--makes a lot of sense.

I think the additional hp comes from re-mapping... probably a close cousin to S class.