C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

You ever heard a chirping noise coming from the rear, even when not braking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
You ever heard a chirping noise coming from the rear, even when not braking?

Really weird and cant seem to figure it out.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
With all the HP you've got, it's prolly chirping the tires between up shifts. The new wrap looks stellar btw.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I don't hear a chirp but occasionally I do hear a clink sound. Kinda like metal tapping each other when switching gears or when coming to a stand still.
The sound is very faint but I have noticed it a few times.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I got the new performance rotors and I am wondering if it could be the brake pad rubbing up on the rotor (that was what one of my friends hypothesized). Does that sound reasonable? The sound seems to begin when I accelerate from a stop and basically sounds like super loud crickets. Obviously it's hard to explain, but needless to say I am not happy with this.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
same thing happened to me but more of a tick not a chirp...try bedding your pads on the new rotors. if not see how the pad is seated might be rubbing while not engaging the brakes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BerBer63
same thing happened to me but more of a tick not a chirp...try bedding your pads on the new rotors. if not see how the pad is seated might be rubbing while not engaging the brakes
Yeah, I think you might be right, it's like a chirp and tick. Kinda of like a high pitch sound that is as repetitive as a baseball card in bicycle spokes. Regardless, I kinda wish this was done prior to me getting my car back with the newly installed rotors.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Also check your lugs might be cross threaded or untorqued....?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Does the sound come from the rear only? If so, then there is a possibility that
your lug bolts are rubbing against the emergency brake shoe causing a repetitive clicking sound.

Is there any way you can provide us with a video so we can hear what the problem is?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by _AMG_
your lug bolts are rubbing against the emergency brake shoe causing a repetitive clicking sound.

Is there any way you can provide us with a video so we can hear what the problem is?
Damn this noise back! I think it was diagnosed like you said, "rubbing against the e-brake"....although i thought it was cured. Could it be that the emergency brake doesnt get fully released (just noticed it again a day after I used the emergency brake) when I pull he lever? It's weird that the chirping occurs when moving, is that consistent with a rubbing against the emergency brake?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Damn this noise back! I think it was diagnosed like you said, "rubbing against the e-brake"....although i thought it was cured. Could it be that the emergency brake doesnt get fully released (just noticed it again a day after I used the emergency brake) when I pull he lever? It's weird that the chirping occurs when moving, is that consistent with a rubbing against the emergency brake?
I had a similar problem, only mine was due to the lugs.
If the E-brake doesn't get fully released it will constantly make a ticking sound, it'll get progressively louder the more you drive.
Did this occur after you changed the rotors?

Last edited by _AMG_; 07-19-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by _AMG_

Yea I experienced this problem shortly when I had my car hooked up to a Dynapak Dyno. The lugs they used were too long, and it hit the e-brake and would make a clicking noise as the wheels turned. Luckily they stopped it right away and put in the proper length lugs.

When you installed your new wheels, if they used the same lugs then this shouldn't be the problem I wouldn't think.