C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACG Build: C63 Weistec Stage 2

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.90 average.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by callmiro
WOW....

For 1/3 of that (ie $24k) you could convert a GT-R to a 9 second beast with over 900 HP

And for $60k they are kickin 1100 hp and running 9.0's @166.66

And if you wanna be the man then you drop and get into the 8's like this monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNoo2r1q_0A&feature=player_embedded

Just sayin....

A month to bolt on heads and a blower is a little mental
To be honest the tranny build on the GTR for that kind of torque is around $25,000 alone so I don't think your numbers are quite right on that.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
WOW....

For 1/3 of that (ie $24k) you could convert a GT-R to a 9 second beast with over 900 HP

And for $60k they are kickin 1100 hp and running 9.0's @166.66

And if you wanna be the man then you drop and get into the 8's like this monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNoo2r1q_0A&feature=player_embedded

Just sayin....

A month to bolt on heads and a blower is a little mental
Holllllyyy sshh****ttt thats fast!!
That GT-R is like a ballistic missile!!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM

C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
ACG and Weistec have agreed that the goal is not unrealistic and they are taking steps to make that happen.

The supercharger is the core of the engine build but not the largest expenditure.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
To be honest the tranny build on the GTR for that kind of torque is around $25,000 alone so I don't think your numbers are quite right on that.

The $60k package does have the tranny upgrade...and a balanced and blueprinted race engine...and customs heads.....and custom cams.....and 2 tunes for pump and race gas....and.....
  • AMS Alpha 10 Transmission by Sheptrans. Upgraded with Dodson and PPG components

Last edited by callmiro; 08-04-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The $60k package does have the tranny upgrade...and a balanced and blueprinted race engine...and customs heads.....and custom cams.....and 2 tunes for pump and race gas....and.....
  • AMS Alpha 10 Transmission by Sheptrans. Upgraded with Dodson and PPG components
It's an amazing package for that car and it's only a matter of time before cheaper clutches become available and that tranny price starts dropping but, if you wanna go fast right now, it takes a few dollars.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Tough on the build...sounds like more research should have been done before this was started. I know of a couple of black series that are now done and are in the region of 650 at the wheels.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Jim, your approach is understandable, to the extent it is refreshing, frankly. Most don't have the cajones to go about this the way you are. Impossible things tend to happen when a leader provides a black or white option - Door 1 or Door 2, pick one. On Monday, one door will open, and my gut is it's the one you want.

Kudos to you, good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ecampbell
Tough on the build...sounds like more research should have been done before this was started. I know of a couple of black series that are now done and are in the region of 650 at the wheels.
I have no doubt that ACG and Weistec can get this done. My problem was and will be the pace things were moving along and the ability of everyone to not be ape***** before I was.

I run a company too. I'm not unaware of the challenges business' run keeping all the plates spinning. I made a call or two late yesterday afternoon on this and just didn't want more tepidness (if that's a word) regarding the outcome. And the car shouldn't be commuting back and forth between shops. I think we are on the same page now.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by propain
This is the problem. Money is the motivator. If you pay in advance people get lazy. When people are waiting or working to get paid the job gets done much quicker.

How much have you sunk into this specific project? I am curious as to what to expect from a Stage I and Stage II as far as price goes. What are we really talking about here to get this onto a car and in working order as far as price??
I learned that lesson the hard way. FWIW Weistec never asked for a dime from me up front, as certain parts of the project were completed they invoiced me, I almost felt guilty because there were such huge gaps in between my payments to them. They kept their word and delivered on everything that was promised. The Weistec guys are stand up guys, in reading this thread I am still at a loss as to how this is a Weistec issue???? Weistec has sold at least a couple dozen of these systems that I am aware of that are installed on numerous models in varying states of tune with no know issues. If this issue tracks back to Weistec I am confident they will make things right but I'm still scratching my head as to how a cam sensor issue becomes a Weistec issue???? If anyone has any questions regarding my experience with Weistec please feel free to PM me, I have dumped twice as much cash into my car as the OP has, have 10x the experience with the 63 platform and delt with numerous tuners/shops (5 of them total evosport, VRP, MHP, Driver Image and Weistec) during the development of my car so I think my opinion should be a valid one. I will vouch for Weistec, their product, their knowledge, their professionalism and their freindliness.

Last edited by jrcart; 08-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by jrcart
I learned that lesson the hard way. FWIW Weistec never asked for a dime from me up front, I almost felt guilty because there were such huge gaps in between my payments to them. They kept their word and delivered on everything that was promised. The Weistec guys are stand up guys, in reading this thread I am still at a loss as to how this is a Weistec issue???? Weistec has sold at least a couple dozen of these systems that I am aware of that are installed on numerous models in varying states of tune with no know issues. If this issue tracks back to Weistec I am confident they will make things right but I'm still scratching my head as to how a cam sensor issue becomes a Weistec issue???? If anyone has any questions regarding my experience with Weistec please feel free to PM me, I have dumped twice as much cash into my car as the OP has, have 10x the experience with the 63 platform and delt with numerous tuners/shops (5 of them total evosport, VRP, MHP, Driver Image and Weistec) during the development of my car so I think my opinion should be a valid one. I will vouch for Weistec, their product, their knowledge, their professionalism and their freindliness.
Ive learned the money up front mistake a long time ago as well. Parts I have no problem paying up front of course, but never pay for labor before the job is complete.

I agree this doesn't seem to be Weistec issue at all. Its just scary how much money is being thrown at these projects and quite honestly the results are less than I would expect from that amount of investment.

I really hope Weistec comes out with some results soon with just the SC and a tune with no other work and some nice gains. It would be nice to be able to pass emissions and still get close to the performance of headers and full exhaust.

Personally for me its one or the other on my MB and currently the headers and full exhaust seems way more economically viable Dollar per HP gained.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM

I'm not saying this is a Weistec issue per se. Best I can tell the kit is solid. I agree the people are good.

They have some issues with the marketing of the heads which are not relevant to this conversation and I have communicated my thoughts on that to Steve at Weistec directly. Those issues are not directly related to their product at all, just how they can make sure my sort of problem is seen as a possibility up front.

My issue involves Weistec in a customer service way. I agree they are doing very well. But at what point does someone think about the overall effect on the customer and THEMSELVES. Here is the direct issue:

Weistec says there is a cam issue. They say its minor. They say they can fix it.

Ok, so why is my car not finished? I'll be the first to agree its not their job. So?

Out of self defense I'd fix it on the spot if I was them. They can bill me. I've told them so. Instead, they have sent the car back to ACG with this problem twice now. If its a minor issue they can fix right away, why would they not do it just to get the car perfect and out of their hair and back on the road in the first place. The time wasted going to and from the dyno and setting up and getting the car on a truck and off the truck or commuting it or whatever they are doing is far longer than fixing the problem by what I am led to believe.

Instead, the car has been basically fubar for 2 weeks with the same issue. Hundreds of dollars and dozens of man hours have been wasted to what result?

My sincere advice to all companies involved is to fix any problem you identify on the spot. Especially with a customer who has told you money is not a concern.

Frankly, I really don't care about experiences with vendors from other people. Good for you all. I'm just looking for someone to step out of their circle and get this car on the road.

All the good things in the world that have happened for other people really have nothing to add to the ball being dropped on this one. And if you don't think the ball was dropped. That's fine with me. Someone dropped it or my car would be finished now. I think there's a bit of blame for everyone including me. I need to learn to modulate my temper so people know a couple of weeks in advance that I am getting impatient.

Jim

Last edited by jspAMG; 08-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM

PS: Giving ACG money up front is not an issue involving them. Its a phobia I have. I absolutely cannot tolerate owing people money. Seriously. I don't even have a credit card.

Having an open tab with anyone gives me physical issues. Its a phobia. I don't expect better or worse treatment for this. I just do it because its the way I'm wired.

I also throw loose change away in the street because having coins in my pocket is about like having spiders in my pocket.

I'm a weird guy.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by jspAMG

I also throw loose change away in the street because having coins in my pocket is about like having spiders in my pocket.

I'm a weird guy.

Jim
People must love it when you do that.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by propain
People must love it when you do that.
I pay for almost everything with debit cards. Even when I have money on me just to avoid it. I only pay for things with cash when I can leave the change like at restaurants or MacDonalds where I can have them out it in the Ronald MacDonald House donation bucket.

I don't mind rolled coin. Loose change gives me the heebie jeebies. On the other hand, I'm fine if someone gives me change for a vending machine. Like I said, I'm a weird guy.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
I pay for almost everything with debit cards. Even when I have money on me just to avoid it. I only pay for things with cash when I can leave the change like at restaurants or MacDonalds where I can have them out it in the Ronald MacDonald House donation bucket.

I don't mind rolled coin. Loose change gives me the heebie jeebies. On the other hand, I'm fine if someone gives me change for a vending machine. Like I said, I'm a weird guy.

Jim
I hear ya. I never have cash on me unless I'm going somewhere that requires it. All plastic. 4 cards in my pocket. ATM, CC, License, Insurance card.

I only use Amex also because I hate debt as well. With the Amex i got lots of benefits but the balance needs to be paid at the end of the month.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not saying this is a Weistec issue per se. Best I can tell the kit is solid. I agree the people are good.

They have some issues with the marketing of the heads which are not relevant to this conversation and I have communicated my thoughts on that to Steve at Weistec directly. Those issues are not directly related to their product at all, just how they can make sure my sort of problem is seen as a possibility up front.

My issue involves Weistec in a customer service way. I agree they are doing very well. But at what point does someone think about the overall effect on the customer and THEMSELVES. Here is the direct issue:

Weistec says there is a cam issue. They say its minor. They say they can fix it.

Ok, so why is my car not finished? I'll be the first to agree its not their job. So?

Out of self defense I'd fix it on the spot if I was them. They can bill me. I've told them so. Instead, they have sent the car back to ACG with this problem twice now. If its a minor issue they can fix right away, why would they not do it just to get the car perfect and out of their hair and back on the road in the first place. The time wasted going to and from the dyno and setting up and getting the car on a truck and off the truck or commuting it or whatever they are doing is far longer than fixing the problem by what I am led to believe.

Instead, the car has been basically fubar for 2 weeks with the same issue. Hundreds of dollars and dozens of man hours have been wasted to what result?

My sincere advice to all companies involved is to fix any problem you identify on the spot. Especially with a customer who has told you money is not a concern.

Frankly, I really don't care about experiences with vendors from other people. Good for you all. I'm just looking for someone to step out of their circle and get this car on the road.

All the good things in the world that have happened for other people really have nothing to add to the ball being dropped on this one. And if you don't think the ball was dropped. That's fine with me. Someone dropped it or my car would be finished now. I think there's a bit of blame for everyone including me. I need to learn to modulate my temper so people know a couple of weeks in advance that I am getting impatient.

Jim
The marketing of the heads? I had the first set of Weistec heads on my car back in early April. To the best of my knowledge Weistec did not even make mention of the heads to the public until after they were installed on my car. Some of you guys seem to think my car has been sitting and not drivable since April but that is not the case, they having been doing R&D and testing including driving my car around on the street to ensure that everything is sound in real world situations. Don't think that they just completed my car last week. The heads seem to work just fine on my car.

Last edited by jrcart; 08-04-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PS: Giving ACG money up front is not an issue involving them. Its a phobia I have. I absolutely cannot tolerate owing people money. Seriously. I don't even have a credit card.

Having an open tab with anyone gives me physical issues. Its a phobia. I don't expect better or worse treatment for this. I just do it because its the way I'm wired.

I'm a weird guy.

Jim
Weird doesn't even begin to descride you...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
what kinda business do u have...outta of curiuosity
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Isnt this your car?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostchild/6009318418/

Last edited by obsidian05e55; 08-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM

jrcart,

When you don't know what you are talking about, you should not talk.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by vdubpower
what kinda business do u have...outta of curiuosity

I have a lot of apartment buildings and I own 3 factories and a trading company in China. My wife runs an aftermarket auto parts business with 3 warehouses and retail locations.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
For the moment.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM

The car is either at Weistec or on its way there. Steve at Weistec and James at ACG have asked for time to fix the car. Fine. They can have till Monday. Once the car is correct in their estimation I'll take the car independently to a dyno and run it. I'll publish the graphs and give an honest impression of how the car turned out. I hope they do well.

But I'm over the car. The build stops here and I'll be disposing of the car.

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

jrcart,

When you don't know what you are talking about, you should not talk.

Jim
Maybe you should take a bit of that advice yourself.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Now, on to my advice to Weistec regarding the marketing of the heads. Since jrcart has already proclaimed this to be total BS, those of you that are know-it-all fan boys can move along...

Ok, for the rest of you that might still be reading, this was my advice.

Weistec sold heads to ACG for my car. They might or might not function. I expect we will find out soon. What is known by me is that this didn't go well. Unbeknownst to me it is already proven that my just-CPO'd car had at least one bad MAF. Why it didn't trip codes, I can't say. But ACG tells me that replacing them fixed some problems showing up on the dyno. I have no reason not to believe them. Weistec tells me there is a cam problem. I'm a little less certain about this. Is it the cam or is it the sensor that watches the cam? I'm betting on the sensor. But perhaps they are installed into the new heads wrong. We will see about that also I would guess.

So what is my advice to Weistec?

Be careful. ACG employs a real live Mercedes mechanic. My cams weren't installed by some goober who does Hondas most of the time. If a shop that does a ton of high performance work we have this debacle, what will they get into if they sell these heads willie-nillie to just anyone? Every shop has their fanboys YO! Get the idea?

I have no doubt about Weistecs ability to do what they do. I also trust ACG. My entire complaint is that the interaction between these shops was not moving the car along and one or both of them needed to take the lead and just fix the fricking car. That's all I am complaining about.

So I honestly advised Steve at Weistec that if this was what happens when shops are within an hour of each other, employ good mechanics and are experienced, what would happen to them, their reputation and their support costs if they start selling these things to somebody who's going to take them to his buddy the mechanic at Stereo World. And you all know it will happen sooner or later. Now is this crazy advice?

Personally I would start slow with these heads and do most or all of the installs themselves and slowly build a network of trusted shops ensuring that these shops are staffed with actual mechanics not guys who bolt on bling all day.

That's it.

Call me crazy.

Jim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.90 average.

Quick Reply: ACG Build: C63 Weistec Stage 2