C63 AMG ECU removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
C63 AMG ECU removal guide

So I have just pulled my ECU from my 2011 C63 AMG to ship it out for a tune
Before I did this, I snooped around and found info but nothing in the form of a useable HOW TO with picture's so here's mine.

This took me about 2 minutes and no tools.

(small edit, as suggested by Xtyper, you should apparently disconnect your battery before disconnecting the your ECU)

First pop the hood (duh) then look here:

That's the ECU housing.

Now there are only 3 clips holding it in place that are here:

Pop the clips (the middle one pulls up). then pull the entire plastic cover straight up towards the sky.

Then, you see the ECU:

Then you need to pull out the 2 connectors. On the outside of eahc of these connectors is a big sideways T shaped PULL TAB. Just pull it out gently about 1-2 inches) and this will safely unlock AND pull out the connector:

Once this is done, all you need to do is pull out the ECU. It is not held in place by screws but rather slipped into 4 rubber mounts (1 on each corner):

So basically, you just pull the ECU straight out (gently) and VOILÀ !

You have your ECU in your hands.

PS: The Engine bay in the C63 tends to get unusually HOT when driven. The ECU may be hot or some surfaces in the area may be hot, to be careful what you touch or where you put the removed cover because you might very well burn your self or MELT THE ECU COVER if you set it down on the engine or area (no I did not melt mine... lol)
Attached Thumbnails C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1573.jpg   C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1574.jpg   C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1576.jpg   C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1577.jpg   C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1578.jpg  

C63 AMG ECU removal-img_1579.jpg  

Last edited by Wack; 09-12-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I love you.

I have been looking for something like this and no dice since you posted.

Did I mention I love you?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Did you find anything living in there? lol

When I removed mine for tuning, I found some small creature built a nest, and was living in there.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wack
So I have just pulled my ECU from my 2011 C63 AMG to ship it out for a tune
Before I did this, I snooped around and found info but nothing in the form of a useable HOW TO with picture's so here's mine.

This took me about 2 minutes and no tools.

First pop the hood (duh) then look here:

That's the ECU housing.

Now there are only 3 clips holding it in place that are here:

Pop the clips (the middle one pulls up). then pull the entire plastic cover straight up towards the sky.

Then, you see the ECU:

Then you need to pull out the 2 connectors. On the outside of eahc of these connectors is a big sideways T shaped PULL TAB. Just pull it out gently about 1-2 inches) and this will safely unlock AND pull out the connector:

Once this is done, all you need to do is pull out the ECU. It is not held in place by screws but rather slipped into rubber mounts:

So basically, you just pull the ECU straight out (gently) and VOILÀ !

You have your ECU in your hands.

PS: The Engine bay in the C63 tends to get unusually HOT when driven. The ECU may be hot or some surfaces in the area may be hot, to be careful what you tough or where you put the removed cover cause you might very well butn your self or MELT THE ECU COVER (no I did not melt mine... lol)
Very nice writeup!

However, I strongly encourage you and others to always disconnect your battery before removing the ECU. A few of the tuners have emphasized this to me, pointing to the rolling code that could cause problems if not done.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
very well said

it probably took you longer to type this out and add the pictures than it did to do the actual ecu removal .

it is just that easy

this thread should be super helpful to people that are getting ready for a tune .
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Originally Posted by xtyper
Very nice writeup!

However, I strongly encourage you and others to always disconnect your battery before removing the ECU. A few of the tuners have emphasized this to me, pointing to the rolling code that could cause problems if not done.
Just added a note into the guide, thanks for the suggestion.

Ironically, I did not think to disconnect my battery... So we'll see how it turns out... My ECU is in the box and waiting for UPS pick up to go out for a tune...

So I called Eurocharged to make sure (that's where my ECU is heading) and they said that it's really not a problem, they do it all the time without disconnecting
the battery and have apparently never had any issues. Never the less, I have edited the guide to mention this to air on the side of caution and so that I'm not
responsible for misinforming anyone.

Last edited by Wack; 09-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
great writeup!

With your permission I would love to post this DIY to our site to help others with their ecu removal!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Also figure out how to open the trunk with the Valet key before you disconnect the battery and shut the trunk, or else you will not be able to open the trunk. The key goes into a key slot on the left (driver's) side of the top ledge above the plate. You could also reconnect the battery after you remove the ECU.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Originally Posted by loungn14
great writeup!

With your permission I would love to post this DIY to our site to help others with their ecu removal!
Thank you, you have my permission.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
perfect
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Just wondering, does disconnecting the battery mess with any of the other electronics...ie: radio, nav, seats, dash info? Anything need to be reprogramed after this?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Originally Posted by amg4rl
Just wondering, does disconnecting the battery mess with any of the other electronics...ie: radio, nav, seats, dash info? Anything need to be reprogramed after this?
I'm not 100% but I seriously doubt it. Old radios would lose their channel presets but with today's on board computers etc, everything is typically stored in non volatile memory... however I may be wrong.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Originally Posted by Wack
Just added a note into the guide, thanks for the suggestion.

Ironically, I did not think to disconnect my battery... So we'll see how it turns out... My ECU is in the box and waiting for UPS pick up to go out for a tune...

So I called Eurocharged to make sure (that's where my ECU is heading) and they said that it's really not a problem, they do it all the time without disconnecting
the battery and have apparently never had any issues. Never the less, I have edited the guide to mention this to air on the side of caution and so that I'm not
responsible for misinforming anyone.
I've been told removing the battery is just a per-caution, so you don't mistakenly try turning the car on while the ECU is removed.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:08 PM

335i
Originally Posted by stangxs
I've been told removing the battery is just a per-caution, so you don't mistakenly try turning the car on while the ECU is removed.
just out of curiosity, what would happen should you try to fire the engine with the ECU gone?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I could have used this last month when I sent my ECU to Jerry at Eurocharged! Great write-up!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
You are awesome!!. Not that is difficult to remove the ECU but it takes some enthusiasm to take the time and actually share the review with pictures. Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have been told by Cory @ Kleemann; as a precaution if you do not disconnect the battery is to make sure you DO NO INSERT THE KEY in the ignition!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
So I got my ECU back a couple of days later (super fast) and put it back in and encountered no problems (after an ECU removal without disconnecting the battery.

I had not disconnected my battery, removed the ECU, locked the car. Returned a few days later, unlocked the car, poped the hood, put the ECU back in and the engine started fine and has given no codes or problems of any king (except significantly diminishing the life expectancy of my tires...)