Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by schmick325
Been cleaned out since that shot. Should be clean now but yeah i think ill be getting this oil separator.

Always use RON 98 octane. Never uses oil either, have never had to top it off between oil changes.

Car is used as a shopping cart. Lots of short trips.

Should have bought an ML320CDi

Apparently its common on E60 M5 V10's as well.
Totally random, but I just had a really cool conversation with an M5 owner at the gas station (91 octane). I was asking him if his car ever pings and he said he hasn't heard it happen. He was very knowledgeable about his car too.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C63 AMG, 07 Jeep GC SRT-8
Uuuuhhhhh........ $530 oil catch can?

The only person to buy these will be one that enjoys spending time lighting their money on fire or enjoy having their intelligence insulted for a past time.

$530 for a catch can is a joke guys. You need to get real and not hose the members you sell too.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by AlphaSRT-8
Uuuuhhhhh........ $530 oil catch can?

The only person to buy these will be one that enjoys spending time lighting their money on fire or enjoy having their intelligence insulted for a past time.

$530 for a catch can is a joke guys. You need to get real and not hose the members you sell too.
....or people that understand what its for. Looks like there's a lot of cheap skates in this section LOL, we're talking about $35k motors here that a bunch of you have modded. Do you guys complain about the price of premium gas and synthetic oil too? Maybe you guys should check out the Hyundia and Kia forums.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
I have the prototype installed on my car and you can see the oil in it from 4 passes at the strip. Keeping the oil out of the engine keeps the octane...I bet some of you here only change 5 spark plugs because the other 3 are fine....

Last edited by ecampbell; 10-28-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Originally Posted by jrcart
....or people that understand what its for. Looks like there's a lot of cheap skates in this section LOL, we're talking about $35k motors here that a bunch of you have modded. Do you guys complain about the price of premium gas and synthetic oil too? Maybe you guys should check out the Hyundia and Kia forums.
LOL

My thoughts exactly.

Theres cars on here with $6k rims, tunes, $2k carbon airboxes.

WTF is $500 to help your engine? You could make something up alot cheaper but you could probably sell this in the future for a couple of hundred bux and get some money back.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 AM

RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Originally Posted by ecampbell
I have the prototype installed on my car and you can see the oil in it from 4 passes at the strip. Keeping the oil out of the engine keeps the octane...I bet some of you here only change 5 spark plugs because the other 3 are fine....
Where exactly does it hook up to on the motor? I know its the crankcase breather but as to where that actually is on our engines I don't know.

Do Weistec send out instructions for us DIY'ers?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Yes they have instructions. I actually laughed when someone on the site said they were going to but a SC until they saw this....are you serious?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 AM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series
Mainly ecampbell, and jrcart nailed it, I concur with my esteemed colleague on this. Crankcase fumes, we all got them, needs to get out of there, OEMs toss it into the air stream (before the MAF??? we sure about that, not likely) to the engine’s intake air stream, burn it and be pretty much done with it. The vacuum in the intake manifold provides the means to pull out the fumes (blower version have a check valve so no reversion? or not in a location to need one?). Oil fumes coming from the crankcase (normal occurrence), being burned in the engine do lessen the anti-knock threshold of your fuels, not major or the OEMs would not allow this, but enough that there is benefit at least in keeping your octane in full effect. As well, what others have shown, carbon build-up on the backside of the intake valve (picture of the clean valve shows someone has some tightly seated piston rings, and burns a better quality fuel, or uses Chevron Techron Conc.) hurting the atomization quality of the fuel being sprayed in that area/backside of the intake valve. As well builds up on the combustion chamber (not just the top of the piston that you can easily see what a boroscope/video version). Combustion chamber/piston top and crevice build-up over time will also increase your octane requirements, SAE did some white papers on this/ORI long time ago, again the Chevron Techron usage will help control this problem, that can still happen with just burning fuel over time, just not as bad as burning oil fumes though.

As for the price, I don’t know what it cost to make the final product, and provide some source of income to a company that has bills and employees to pay, but outside of the development and engineering and material costs which is part of the final price, and this is not a simple “let’s see if this off the shelf unit fits” approach, appears to be about right, though I would like less cost too, but not less of a product. Sure if they sold thousands of these, they could spread the costs down the line, but that is not the case here. The unit looks like a rather intricate and solid proofed out unit, fully able to be disassembled (that costs more than just a catch can with a drain valve at the bottom) and quality material+finish, construction and fitment hardware, though it would help to see one on the site installed/maybe in the works. Would also help someone to know something about the simple aspects of it like; easily goes in-line with the OEM crankcase ventilation hoses, and mounts cleanly and in an easy to access location (also for removal of the can during inspection and draining). I see bolt holes in the side, assume there is a mounting bracket, but not shown, yet?

Nice product!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more thing regarding the cost/price. As we are all aware AMGs are built in very limited numbers and even fewer of them get modded so for any of you to compare the cost of this to the cost of one for say a Mustang or 350Z you're comparing apples and oranges. The tooling, materials and devolopment cost are the same or at least similar but Weistec is amortizing those costs over fewer units so they have to charge more, its very basic economics actually. Trust me, if they could sell them for less they would, the guys at Weistec are far from greedy, they are actually more generous than most.

One other thought, this product should be used on even non-modded 63s in my opinion, my 63 would "burn oil" even when it was stock, being nearly a quart low at my initial 1000 mile service. After seeing the photos posted here and on another forum I now see where all that oil went. If a $500 part can save my valves and MAFs that's a no brianer.

Last edited by jrcart; 10-29-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
There we go again. This issue has been beaten to death.
There are people with money trees that basically do not care how much it costs and there are others that compare products across other brands.
I do believe there is a huge MB tax for all our products.
I debated that with the headers, X-pipes, and CArbon fiber products.
Let the free market roll and let demand dictate the pricing.
If there are enough jrcarts out there, then Weistec will sell them at the price they ask. If not, they will learn a lesson.
It does look like a well thought out quality products so props to Weistec on that.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emericr
There we go again. This issue has been beaten to death.
There are people with money trees that basically do not care how much it costs and there are others that compare products across other brands.
I do believe there is a huge MB tax for all our products.
I debated that with the headers, X-pipes, and CArbon fiber products.
Let the free market roll and let demand dictate the pricing.
If there are enough jrcarts out there, then Weistec will sell them at the price they ask. If not, they will learn a lesson.
It does look like a well thought out quality products so props to Weistec on that.
Compare products across other brands??? Who else produces one of these for a 63? All the fittings and attachments for MB fitment are unique so while you might be able to find one for a Nissan for $200 its not going to fit our 63s without some additions expenses on fittings and some modifications.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM

C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
It's not overpriced. I own a small CNC factory in Taipei and it looks like a fair price considering they may sell 100 of them and the anodizing is top notch. Caveat, I don't own this and am judging by the pictures of what I can see just like everyone else.

Jim
Old 10-29-2011, 12:07 PM

02 C32 AMG, 06 C230 Sport (Gone)

Why do you guys think your motor is that cheap? My dealer had to replace a motor on an E550 coupe parts and labor were 50k and thats warranty pricing.... Lots of cheap skates
Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's be serious, a little blow by is not going blow up a motor, but it can prevent it from running to its optimum performance levels and shorten the life if things suchs as MAFs. A $500 investment is nothing on a $75k plus vehicle. I assume the guys griping about the cost of a $500 part are the same guys scrounging up quarters to fill up their gas tank and are what I like to refer to as car broke. Probably renting a 1 bedroom apartment or even worse renting a 3 bedroom with a couple buddies...or evn worse living in moms basement....but you got you an AMG don't you LMAO....Baller
Old 10-29-2011, 02:06 PM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series
Interesting, but not. jrcart, ecampbell, jspAMG (there could be others, if they felt it worth their time to reply) and myself all present facts, and strong feelings only based on those facts, and that from having been around in life, vehicles and the car business (at least) long enough to have real wisdom on those subjects. But nothing blocks others from gaining said wisdom as having a closed mind as most of the rebuttals at this point show, if you are not willing to consider, then I see no point after this to spend more time discussing it, our points have been made and can stand on their own . The good thing is it’s just a small minority that make the most banter, and the majority reading but not posting I am sure are intelligent enough to see facts and decide for themselves . Difference of opinion is one thing but you guys just sound like you are playing devil’s advocate or trolling, and not worth the time of those actually contributing to the value of this topic in further replies. Does not upset me, go ahead and trash the subject at the end here; the only time having the last word will not mean much! The better points were already made in the beginning and will be there to serve those that want to learn. I upped the ante at the end here to set the mood straight before I leave , see if it wears down those that like to flame . I have seen this sort of flaming rebuttals more than is needed, but on the Honda forums and such, where you expect it .

Last edited by Jeff M; 10-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Let's be serious, a little blow by is not going blow up a motor, but it can prevent it from running to its optimum performance levels and shorten the life if things suchs as MAFs. A $500 investment is nothing on a $75k plus vehicle. I assume the guys griping about the cost of a $500 part are the same guys scrounging up quarters to fill up their gas tank and are what I like to refer to as car broke. Probably renting a 1 bedroom apartment or even worse renting a 3 bedroom with a couple buddies...or evn worse living in moms basement....but you got you an AMG don't you LMAO....Baller
Spot on!
I'm not likely to keep my car after warranty (especially in light of the cam/lifter issues) so I won't be buying this piece, but I agree with others here about the economics of manufacturing a quality piece that will not be sold in huge quantities, hence the price. Maybe Weistec could offer financing for some
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by black-clk500
Maybe Weistec could offer financing for some
LMAO!!! I think debt to income ratios would prevent some of these guys from getting approved.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 PM

2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Not to Hijack here but .....

Do you think they fixed the cam/lifter problem in the most recent engines (2012 for ex)?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Originally Posted by Pit-Pony
Not to Hijack here but .....

Do you think they fixed the cam/lifter problem in the most recent engines (2012 for ex)?
Not to hijack??? you just did that...why don't you start this in a new thread.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
LMAO!!! I think debt to income ratios would prevent some of these guys from getting approved.
Wow...a little arrogant. How about a little praise for standing up against mark-ups.

just because you have a billion dollars doesnt mean your big mac should be $50.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Originally Posted by CELLryuu
Wow...a little arrogant. How about a little praise for standing up against mark-ups.

just because you have a billion dollars doesnt mean your big mac should be $50.
Dude...its not about being arrogant, it is being aware of production costs for a low production piece. How much do you think this cost when you include cnc and rd time?

Weistec is all about quality...one look of what they have done to my car and you would see the professionalism in everything they do.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Dude...its not about being arrogant, it is being aware of production costs for a low production piece. How much do you think this cost when you include cnc and rd time?

Weistec is all about quality...one look of what they have done to my car and you would see the professionalism in everything they do.
if its not about being arrogant then why take a jab at people about not having money (dude) lol.

im sure its a great product. i own a top of the line manufacturing company and i mark-up the s|-|it out of things because people will pay for it. i know all about that stuff. i just dont think that this particular product is worth 500 dollars. this is a discussion forum and we are discussing it. there is no need to insinuate that people are poor and should shut up.

that being said, its good to know that weistec is a quality company and i will definitely look into there products when i start doing some mods on my new toy
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
I think the jab was more a tongue in cheek response to clk500.....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CELLryuu
if its not about being arrogant then why take a jab at people about not having money (dude) lol.

im sure its a great product. i own a top of the line manufacturing company and i mark-up the s|-|it out of things because people will pay for it. i know all about that stuff. i just dont think that this particular product is worth 500 dollars. this is a discussion forum and we are discussing it. there is no need to insinuate that people are poor and should shut up.

that being said, its good to know that weistec is a quality company and i will definitely look into there products when i start doing some mods on my new toy
I am not trying to be arrogant, but you make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Just because you feel its not worth $500 its overpriced??? Some people might think an AMG C63 is overpriced, I mean you can buy a C300 which is essentially the same car for $35K, right? I don't think this product is overpriced and I'm sure there are several people that feel the same way.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM

C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
In the end, any product or service is valued by the market.

Some will buy this no matter what due to need or perceived value. Others won't buy it at pennies on the dollar because they feel it's unneeded or they have other financial priorities.

Suppliers react to this and raise and lower prices to sell for what the market will bear.

Personally, I would like to see some test results on the effect against the stock situation. Then I can make a cost/benefit decision.

But for the work invested for my own swag on the number that will sell in 6-12 months, it seems to be within a fair profit margin range.

Jim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator