Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Group | Mercedes Benz C63 AMG ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
I could care less one way or the other. But I do have an observation or two:

1. People that get their shipments impounded by customs for smuggling (if this is true) are likely to have people in SWAT uniforms come visit their shop and take everything away at some point.

2. With the above, if all the tunes come from the same guy, whoever that is, why would you send your ECU off to someone who might have everything in his place taken away in a raid at pretty much anytime in the near or distant future?

3. People that have no regard for laws in general and especially getting tangled up with the Feds probably have no problems at all jerking around their customers. Its been my experience that bad people act bad everywhere and with everyone.

I see no compelling reason to deal with these risks when the tunes appear to be the same as those from other people who don't appear to be at risk of getting raided and have apparently had good service records.

One last thing. I thing the TCU is probably unprogrammable also. But I had the guy from OE Tuning tell me it was coming a couple of months ago. Maybe its not. Maybe it will be. Don't know, don't care. Its just a data point.

Jim
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
the easiest way to keep you happy is to keep your car stock and not worry about the flash . if you don't like the prices of certain things for the Mercedes , sell it and buy a CTS-V . you can always get the flash from Kleeman if you are looking for pretty good and inexpensive . if that is too much for you , then i would suggest oem .
its not so much the price of the flash thats the issue... its that i cant flash it myself. i can live with not being able to tune it myself but the whole send it in everytime you want to either adjust it or remove it is a deal killer for me at this point..... and some of the threads of what these guys are doing to the ecus once they get them is crushing me. its giving waaaay to much control to a tuner for my comfort level at this stage of the ballgame. my local mb dealer is a renntech dealer and for that reason alone im leaning towards them. thats despite the fact that a renntech intake, header, and flash is gonna cost me roughly the same as my 1st heart attack and rehab.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by palerider
on the sticky thread for 1/4 times oe tuning has 2 out of 3 of the top times for tunes only. propain owns a sizeable lead over the top mhp v3 time and trap listed there.

tune only would not include tires btw. and iirc both the times previously referred to above had the same tire setups anyway.
FYI...The record that Propain ran were on Drag radials, so by your definition, he's not truly "tune only".
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
FYI...The record that Propain ran were on Drag radials, so by your definition, he's not truly "tune only".
whoops...i wrote that wrong. i meant just the opposite. tires arent power modifications. if anything they are equalizers for the purpose of gauging power at the track. street tires at the track, altho fun, are kinda a waste for ETs especially. traps they arent completely worthless, but could be considered close. the stock wheel and tire setup is probably why theres so much variation on the magazine ratings for what our car is capable of id guess.

but for the purposes of my earlier statement, if you look at all the posted times in that thread there wasnt a single guy that didnt have tire modifications. sometimes skinnies were used, and sometimes they werent, but no cars were truly oem stock. so really we can somewhat throw tire setups out......
for comparison of propains oe tuning run, he beat the mhp v3 car by a tenth and trapped 2 mph faster. that was with the exact same tires front and rear, AND the same 60 ft time identically down to the 100th of a second...... if we were going to be basing our claims on the "facts" of those 2 personal bests alone, it could be roughly estimated and argued that his car was making 15-20whp more based on the trap. but since i dont want to argue like a jackass, i'll just make sure to make that comment as a pure hypothetical one

Last edited by palerider; 11-22-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whoops...i wrote that wrong. i meant just the opposite. tires arent power modifications. if anything they are equalizers for the purpose of gauging power at the track. street tires at the track, altho fun, are kinda a waste for ETs especially. traps they arent completely worthless, but could be considered close. the stock wheel and tire setup is probably why theres so much variation on the magazine ratings for what our car is capable of id guess.

but for the purposes of my earlier statement, if you look at all the posted times in that thread there wasnt a single guy that didnt have tire modifications. sometimes skinnies were used, and sometimes they werent, but no cars were truly oem stock. so really we can somewhat throw tire setups out......
for comparison of propains oe tuning run, he beat the mhp v3 car by a tenth and trapped 2 mph faster. that was with the exact same tires front and rear, AND the same 60 ft time identically down to the 100th of a second...... if we were going to be basing our claims on the "facts" of those 2 personal bests alone, it could be roughly estimated and argued that his car was making 15-20whp more based on the trap. but since i dont want to argue like a jackass, i'll just make sure to make that comment as a pure hypothetical one
I definitely agree with you, there are other options out there and Propain did a fantastic job with his tune only run. All I'm saying is, ETG/Singh does not have any of those records, so they are not a viable option right now.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
All I'm saying is, ETG/Singh does not have any of those records, so they are not a viable option right now.
totally agree.... my only disagreement with everybody is how hes taking flak for having so many stacks that he had to stuff it in his audio speakers. thats straight baller if ask me. whats next? are we gonna knock him for too many hot chicks at the shop?

the guys dealing with him are getting tunes on their exotics so they can go race at 150mph in mexico. its not like we're here debating whether hes gonna do our taxes or sit the kids.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
For those of you wondering why certain posts have been deleted: That member had been banned in the past for his practices - documented in open forum posts.
Did Andy make an appearance or one of his many alter egos?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Andy may be a good guy but why play childish games by posting under multiple user names. I believe that was one of the reasons he was banned on the other forum (they even said they didn't want his money as a sponsor any longer)...why was he banned here and why does he keep getting banned?
Earl, I can't believe I didn't fill you in on good ol Andy. Call me tomorrow and I will fill you in.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
Did Andy make an appearance or one of his many alter egos?
Andy stated his side (MHP LLC) and it was deleted by the moderator. If you scroll back a few pages, ETG/Singh did some screen shots.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
totally agree.... my only disagreement with everybody is how hes taking flak for having so many stacks that he had to stuff it in his audio speakers. thats straight baller if ask me. whats next? are we gonna knock him for too many hot chicks at the shop?

the guys dealing with him are getting tunes on their exotics so they can go race at 150mph in mexico. its not like we're here debating whether hes gonna do our taxes or sit the kids.
Totally unrelated to the thread, but just curious, you've had a heart attack already and you say "straight baller?" That's kinda cool, or kind of sad, depending... Sorry to hear about the heart attacks, they're no joke.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Totally unrelated to the thread, but just curious, you've had a heart attack already and you say "straight baller?" That's kinda cool, or kind of sad, depending... Sorry to hear about the heart attacks, they're no joke.
omg... i need to work on my posting clarity. im 39, and despite being the father of 5 daughters..... i have NOT had a heart attack as of yet. the comment was meant to refer to my 1st FUTURE heart attack. id say my attempt at facetious dark humor flunked.

as far as the baller comment, im just trying to have a bit of goodnatured fun at jags expense. besides, guys are being to gripey on that one anyway. no dark humor intended, just the truth!..... if you ask me, stacks of cash in audio speakers is too good to pass up without some sort of reference to the cosa nostra, nba, or walker texas ranger.

this thread is just too comically good for like 12 reasons not to keep it going man.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
omg... i need to work on my posting clarity. im 39, and despite being the father of 5 daughters..... i have NOT had a heart attack as of yet. the comment was meant to refer to my 1st FUTURE heart attack. id say my attempt at facetious dark humor flunked.

as far as the baller comment, im just trying to have a bit of goodnatured fun at jags expense. besides, guys are being to gripey on that one anyway. no dark humor intended, just the truth!..... if you ask me, stacks of cash in audio speakers is too good to pass up without some sort of reference to the cosa nostra, nba, or walker texas ranger.

this thread is just too comically good for like 12 reasons not to keep it going man.
Ah, I see. Well, it's definitely nice to hear that you haven't had a heart attack. And hopefully none of us here do.

I understand the baller comment.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel

Just an fyi I was at both track days,and there was more differences then what you think and allot of learned info that was passed from me to Propain at his outing, please don't say the tires were the same if you dont no exactly what was ran..
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
O and I'm sorry if I come across like a d,,k but I'm so tired of hearing this and that about tune only, it was a different run, I would out moneys that I could get any tune only car to bet that run on the 5th at Atco,
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by dodger63
Just an fyi I was at both track days,and there was more differences then what you think and allot of learned info that was passed from me to Propain at his outing, please don't say the tires were the same if you dont no exactly what was ran..
my point wasnt really to say the tires were mostly the same. it was to say the tunes were mostly the same. but really maybe they werent.... when 2 cars nail a 1.751 60ft both on the nose, then id say that perhaps the tires WORKED OUT the same. they got the same result. who cares what the burnout or psi or launch technique is at that point.
and then when one car slowly, consistently walks the other after they both hit that EXACT same 60'..... its a pretty safe assumption that the faster car makes more power. either that or the other guy was going partial throttle. were talking 2 automatics that nailed the same launch down to the millisecond than one pulls the other on a roll race. this isnt rocket science. one car had to be faster than the other. lets guess who.

O and I'm sorry if I come across like a d,,k but I'm so tired of hearing this and that about tune only, it was a different run, I would out moneys that I could get any tune only car to bet that run on the 5th at Atco,
do it. instead of coming across like a d,,k just do it. id enjoy the result as much as anybody else regardless of the outcome. just remember i dont have a stick in this fire. but no bullsh'tters allowed. throw hype out the door. i want to see results. sound familiar?

Last edited by palerider; 11-23-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
my point wasnt really to say the tires were mostly the same. it was to say the tunes were mostly the same. but really maybe they werent.... when 2 cars nail a 1.751 60ft both on the nose, then id say that perhaps the tires WORKED OUT the same. they got the same result. who cares what the burnout or psi or launch technique is at that point.
and then when one car slowly, consistently walks the other after they both hit that EXACT same 60'..... its a pretty safe assumption that the faster car makes more power. either that or the other guy was going partial throttle. were talking 2 automatics that nailed the same launch down to the millisecond than one pulls the other on a roll race. this isnt rocket science. one car had to be faster than the other. lets guess who.

do it. instead of coming across like a d,,k just do it. id enjoy the result as much as anybody else regardless of the outcome. just remember i dont have a stick in this fire. but no bullsh'tters allowed. throw hype out the door. i want to see results. sound familiar?
I ment wheels and a good reason for one of these so called cars to pull more and seem faster is because its considerable lighter?

And I'm not exactly talking about launch I'm talking about setup let's say

No bull**** at all and I show results so I think in my car?

Last edited by dodger63; 11-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM

c63 amg
I ment wheels and a good reason for one of these so called cars to pull more and seem faster is because its considerable lighter?

And I'm not exactly talking about launch I'm talking about setup let's say

No bull**** at all and I show results so I think in my car?
absolutely you do show results...and on a car ive never tracked, nor really intend too except in maybe stock/ stock tune form only. im definitely gonna learn more from you than you from me. my bench racing here is only for the sake of some benign hypothetical conversation and nothing more.

but clearly if propain dumped a couple hundred pounds that the others didnt it could make a difference. and for the sake of how we are acknowledging records it now appears as if simple weight reduction and rim choice has trumped the holy grail of one tune next to another. the was sort of my point to begin with.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
but clearly if propain dumped a couple hundred pounds that the others didnt it could make a difference. and for the sake of how we are acknowledging records it now appears as if simple weight reduction and rim choice has trumped the holy grail of one tune next to another. the was sort of my point to begin with.
While weight reduction is a factor not all tunes are created equal.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...o-changed.html
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
absolutely you do show results...and on a car ive never tracked, nor really intend too except in maybe stock/ stock tune form only. im definitely gonna learn more from you than you from me. my bench racing here is only for the sake of some benign hypothetical conversation and nothing more.

My only point is this tune only record crap is worthless, cause at the end of the day the difference in driver weight and a lighter set of front tires and shells plus a few preperation secerets could eaisily net 2-3 tenths without even putting driver skill or any other hidden mods or weight reductions?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Basically my understanding of this company is they are racist, discriminate and lack customer service. They only want high end customers who won't question their abilities... Nice
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
tune only records would only work if you had multiple computers flashed by different tuners and could switch them out at the track in the same car with the same driver .
Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
tune only records would only work if you had multiple computers flashed by different tuners and could switch them out at the track in the same car with the same driver .
youre suggesting that off the shelf tunes for more heavily modded cars would carry less variables? cars that have exhausts from who knows where, airboxes from who knows what, weight reductions, carbon fiber hoods, trunks, and varied wheel setups would somehow give us more to figure it all out?

id say tune and tire times done on the same track are about as much a standard as most could ever wish to hope for in a comparison. as dodger pointed out it isnt the end all but it gives a pretty damn good starting point for discussion if were just going to talk about a "flash". if that discussion isnt merited because of too many variables than the rest of it should NEVER lead to an argument..... only wild quizzical headscratching guesses as far as how much the tune makes to the difference.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM

c63 amg
My only point is this tune only record crap is worthless, cause at the end of the day the difference in driver weight and a lighter set of front tires and shells plus a few preperation secerets could eaisily net 2-3 tenths without even putting driver skill or any other hidden mods or weight reductions?
so the record with the least variables besides the flash, is the one thats the most worthless, because it doesnt include other variables other than the flash? what kind of sense does that make?
bro... youre stumping me on this one. if mhp had the record you would NOT be making the same argument here.

Last edited by palerider; 11-23-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
so the record with the least variables besides the flash, is the one thats the most worthless, because it doesnt include other variables other than the flash? what kind of sense does that make?
bro... youre stumping me on this one. if mhp had the record you would NOT be making the same argument here.
Now your assuming things.. I could careless about records. And even less about what tuning company holds the, do I like my mhp parts yes do I like Andy yes but it does nothing for me if mhp oe eurocharged rentech or any of tge other companys hold the lame titles.. please don't get me wrong.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I DON'T GET IT

German car forum discussing German cars but yet everybody here is concerned about the American way of doing the straight line bit: 0 - 60, block, 1/4 mile, etc. Or running around in circles; always turning the same way.

German cars are more than that; they can do curves. Not only 1 way but both ways.

I advocate for a change; put'em on a road course. At least that will introduce driver skills as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Group | Mercedes Benz C63 AMG ECU Upgrade