Sponsored by:

Car and Driver: 2012 BMW M3 vs 2012 C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
Originally Posted by jafores
Going back to the Thread title, I have been reading CD for over 30 years and I must say that they have always had a bias for BMW. When I read MB BM comparos I take them for what it is written with bias.

I too have a bias otherwise I wouldn’t be human right? Hell this is a MB forum we all should have a bias. IMHO there is a big difference between Bias and refusing to acknowledge a competitors strengths and one’s own weakness. that’s called immaturity
I disagree, BMW's are definitely one of the best driving machines out there- that's why most all car mags are enamored by their cars. However, MB is very very close with the C63- It would be awesome if they can finally offer MANUAL trannys on their AMG cars. Or have a true dct like the porsche pdk.

The only other complaint I have with my C63 is sometimes I am afraid to take the corners fast because of the raw muscle of the engine, I know the car should be able to handle it, but I'll step on the gas late going out because of the possibility of losing grip on the rear end.

the beauty of the m3 is the blending of the chassis balance, suspension prowess, and the high revving engine working together to create a machine that performs better cohesively than the sum of its parts.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkhm3
+1 definitely a few people here that is drunk off the mercedes benz marketing kool aid.

drunk on mercedes benz marketing kool aid? I come from a third generation Mercedes Benz family. It's the only thing I will ever own or drive. Do your research and read a little bit, and maybe some of you will learn something.

My pride and joy 1955 190SL keeps me content.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jafores
Going back to the Thread title, I have been reading CD for over 30 years and I must say that they have always had a bias for BMW. When I read MB BM comparos I take them for what it is written with bias.

I too have a bias otherwise I wouldn’t be human right? Hell this is a MB forum we all should have a bias. IMHO there is a big difference between Bias and refusing to acknowledge a competitors strengths and one’s own weakness. that’s called immaturity
Myself and my father have also been subscribers for 15+ years now and that's all I was trying to get at. They've always been bias towards BMW because BMW pays them out for advertisements. This world is all about money $$$$$$$.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by ryanc43amg
Myself and my father have also been subscribers for 15+ years now and that's all I was trying to get at. They've always been bias towards BMW because BMW pays them out for advertisements. This world is all about money $$$$$$$.
Yeah... conspiracy theory galore. MB isn't a small, no name player either and spend lots of $$$$ on ads too. Show me some evidence that shows where BMW pays materially more into car magazines than MB.

What you fail to see is that MANY other BMWs (7 series, 5 series) have been bashed by C&D and other magazines. The M3 and 335 have been well received. So, because C&D LOVES the M3 means there is a bias . They do NOT love other BMWs anywhere near as much but let's ignore this and call the magazine biased. Maybe... just maybe... it's because the M3 is an amazing vehicle in its class. Many would say it took MB 7 years to even catch up (with the C63 coupe) to the M3 and that even though the C63 has WAY more power still does not have the driving dynamics and balance of the M3. My experience reflects this. I do think the C63 is a better car for daily driving due to the monster engine but the M3 is the better car for back roads and the track. Wait... maybe BMW bought me off too Well, they didn't pay me enough because I bought a C63 anyway. Regardless of what I bought, the M3 has a much better chassis and handling, better transmission, better LSD and weighs much less. This isn't bias, it is fact. The C63 has a much stronger engine, much nicer interior and is very close in all categories. So, until you widen your perspective a bit and actually own another brand of car, you don't have much real experience to support your arguments other than calling magazines out for being paid off.

MB is a great brand and make great cars but just because it is all your family have ever owned doesn't make it the best in every category or for every vehicle. Take the blinders off and broaden your perspective a bit. There are a lot of amazing cars out there that do not have a MB badge on them. Some are even better than their MB competition ... or at least that is what the magazines who are paid off by MB's competition will tell you.

Last edited by gthal; 12-03-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM

drunk on mercedes benz marketing kool aid? I come from a third generation Mercedes Benz family. It's the only thing I will ever own or drive. Do your research and read a little bit, and maybe some of you will learn something.

My pride and joy 1955 190SL keeps me content.
You may want to try some other brands. Then you may widen your perspective.

btw, I've done my "research" and more than "just read a little bit"
I've had owned these brands:
Infiniti, Audi, BMW, Acura, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Ford, Mazda.

including 740Li (current one), X5 4.8i, 2 x M3's (E46-RIP, E36), 1 S4 (B5), LS460 '08, E500 (W211), MDX (08)

Sounds like you're stuck in 1955 along with your 190SL.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM

oh i forgot the 07 335i I traded to get my C63!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
How can someone be so ignorant?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by gthal
Yeah... conspiracy theory galore. MB isn't a small, no name player either and spend lots of $$$$ on ads too. Show me some evidence that shows where BMW pays materially more into car magazines than MB.

What you fail to see is that MANY other BMWs (7 series, 5 series) have been bashed by C&D and other magazines. The M3 and 335 have been well received. So, because C&D LOVES the M3 means there is a bias . They do NOT love other BMWs anywhere near as much but let's ignore this and call the magazine biased. Maybe... just maybe... it's because the M3 is an amazing vehicle in its class. Many would say it took MB 7 years to even catch up (with the C63 coupe) to the M3 and that even though the C63 has WAY more power still does not have the driving dynamics and balance of the M3. My experience reflects this. I do think the C63 is a better car for daily driving due to the monster engine but the M3 is the better car for back roads and the track. Wait... maybe BMW bought me off too Well, they didn't pay me enough because I bought a C63 anyway. Regardless of what I bought, the M3 has a much better chassis and handling, better transmission, better LSD and weighs much less. This isn't bias, it is fact. The C63 has a much stronger engine, much nicer interior and is very close in all categories. So, until you widen your perspective a bit and actually own another brand of car, you don't have much real experience to support your arguments other than calling magazines out for being paid off.

MB is a great brand and make great cars but just because it is all your family have ever owned doesn't make it the best in every category or for every vehicle. Take the blinders off and broaden your perspective a bit. There are a lot of amazing cars out there that do not have a MB badge on them.

And Bingo was his name-o. Former 10+ year BMW owner. Broke the cycle with a C63 AMG coupe. BMW makes great vehicles. I'm not scared to try other brands though.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
And Bingo was his name-o. Former 10+ year BMW owner. Broke the cycle with a C63 AMG coupe. BMW makes great vehicles. I'm not scared to try other brands though.
And I'm sure you won't regret it... having come from an M3, I am VERY excited for the C63 coupe. The power, torque, interior are all amazing compared to the M3. The handling has come a LONG way and is now effectively on par according to everything published outside of hard track use where the M3 still has the advantage. I've owned 2 M3s now and can't wait for my C63.

As a matter of fact, I am in West Palm Beach on Tuesday compliments of MB at a test event where I will get to drive the C63 coupe (and other cars) for a day... can't wait . I won't have to wait until December to experience it more fully
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
And I'm sure you won't regret it... having come from an M3, I am VERY excited for the C63 coupe. The power, torque, interior are all amazing compared to the M3. The handling has come a LONG way and is now effectively on par according to everything published outside of hard track use where the M3 still has the advantage. I've owned 2 M3s now and can't wait for my C63.

As a matter of fact, I am in West Palm Beach on Tuesday compliments of MB at a test event where I will get to drive the C63 coupe (and other cars) for a day... can't wait . I won't have to wait until December to experience it more fully
That sounds like fun! That will allow you to really see what the limits of the car are! Please make sure to give us pics and a review!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63

MB is a great brand and make great cars but just because it is all your family have ever owned doesn't make it the best in every category or for every vehicle. Take the blinders off and broaden your perspective a bit. There are a lot of amazing cars out there that do not have a MB badge on them. Some are even better than their MB competition ... or at least that is what the magazines who are paid off by MB's competition will tell you.
Gthal,

I think you are mistaken. C&D is biased. It is true they bashed some of the BMW products, how can they not do this, they have to project a none biased image. But when testing the M5, they say, there is no silly flat-bottom steering wheel, this alone says it all!

Even when a BMW weigh more than the competition, they will attribute that to a very good insulated cabin. Other cars, in their ccomparo, don't enjoy this luxury!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 PM

2012 C63
even before reading the results...i knew bmw won...cause car and driver get on their knees for bmw.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Am I the only one that noticed that the price gave the M3 a 4 point advantage? An almost base m3 vs an absolutely loaded C63? With a similar near fully loaded M3 the difference would give the C63 a one or two point advantage.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Carac
Am I the only one that noticed that the price gave the M3 a 4 point advantage? An almost base m3 vs an absolutely loaded C63? With a similar near fully loaded M3 the difference would give the C63 a one or two point advantage.
And they took away four points in amenities because the M3 was spartan on options.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Honestly, you can't compare the two cars other then terms of performance. The two cars are not equally optioned or priced. The AMG is fully loaded so they took off points for how expensive it is, the M3 has nothing so it made it less expensive so they gave it points. I unsubscribed from them a year or two ago. EVO is where it's at.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:15 AM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by dkhm3
I disagree, BMW's are definitely one of the best driving machines out there- that's why most all car mags are enamored by their cars. However, MB is very very close with the C63- It would be awesome if they can finally offer MANUAL trannys on their AMG cars. Or have a true dct like the porsche pdk.

The only other complaint I have with my C63 is sometimes I am afraid to take the corners fast because of the raw muscle of the engine, I know the car should be able to handle it, but I'll step on the gas late going out because of the possibility of losing grip on the rear end.

the beauty of the m3 is the blending of the chassis balance, suspension prowess, and the high revving engine working together to create a machine that performs better cohesively than the sum of its parts.
+1...agree with everything you said! I definitely don't feel as confident in corners as I did with my M3 and also miss the dct. Overall though I like the C63 better.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by jarjoug
Gthal,

I think you are mistaken. C&D is biased. It is true they bashed some of the BMW products, how can they not do this, they have to project a none biased image. But when testing the M5, they say, there is no silly flat-bottom steering wheel, this alone says it all!

Even when a BMW weigh more than the competition, they will attribute that to a very good insulated cabin. Other cars, in their ccomparo, don't enjoy this luxury!
Their comment on a steering wheel wouldn't impact the result of a comparison test. Their decision to ignore a BMW weighing more than its competition is because BMW does a better job of hiding the weight through suspension and chassis tweaks so it isn't felt when driving than the competition.

I understand why people sometimes think this bias exists but it isn't just C&D... most magazines appear to have a BMW bias. There is no way that this is money based or because BMW bought the magazines off... it isn't a conspiracy but many like to think so when their favourite car isn't a BMW.

BMW's, especially the M3 but all of their cars, are really built for driving feel. I think that BMW has just done a great job of building cars that appeal to driving enthusiasts. They aren't "better" necessarily in every way but they are great cars to drive and that is reflected in magazine opinions. I read somewhere that car magazine editors choose BMWs for their own personal cars more than any other. BMW is not giving away cars to these editors to influence opinion, it's the other way around... they actually LIKE the cars more and therefore buy them.

It is human nature to find something "wrong" with anothers opinion when it disagrees with our own... simply check this forum and all others for evidence of this. The conspiracy theory, IMO, is a function of this. Those who like Audi or MB cannot fathom how car magazines (most if not all of them) can continually like BMW product over there own car and, therefore, there is a bias or a conspiracy. What is silly about this argument is that BMW is NOT the largest auto company or contributor to magazines... VW/Audi would be a bigger company and likely spend as much or more on advertising as would GM, etc... but people still think that BMW somehow influences the reviews moreso than other manufacturers. If I wanted to generate ad dollars, I would cater to Toyota, the VW group, GM, etc.

I will say that having owned 3 BMWs (of the 21 cars I have owned in my life) that they ARE great driving cars and as good or better than anything else I have driven. The bias you see in magazines is because BMW builds cars that appeals to driving enthusiasts which the editors are. The perceived bias is because BMW does a better job of building a car that you can take to work everyday and then to the track every weekend than almost anyone. There are "better" cars for DD use and better cars for the track but there are few, if any, cars that do both better. The M3 is likely one of the best dual purpose car made today regardless of price and this is why it wins comparos. The C63 is, IMO, a better car for the street but guys who review these cars put a high level of emphasis on track performance in addition to street performance. BMW wins because they do a better job of blending driving experience, street ability and track ability than anyone.

But, like the review said, the C63 coupe is effectively on par now and is a MUCH faster car... that, IMO, makes it a much better street car and for 95% of us this is the more important characteristic. MB has also seemed to come a LONG way in the handling department and if they could just get the car on a diet then I think it would begin to dominate the M3 in reviews.

So, when people call "bias" and "conspiracy" then I call BS as that is just sour grapes because someone doesn't like the car they bought as much as another. That hurts our pride and calls out our own decision process so we naturally then defend our opinion by calling bias, pointing out flaws in the reviews, etc. C&D and most every other car publication like the M3 better because it is the class leader for chassis balance, handling, feel, etc. I challenge anyone to drive one at the track and disagree. However, for many of us, that may not be the more important factor and therefore it may not be the better car. It so happens that driving enthusiasts (which include magazine editors) put a greater emphasis on this area of performance than many others. As an example, how many times has Toyota not won a comparison test with the Camry because another car handled better or had better driving dynamics? BUT, the Camry outsells almost anything else because the consumer likes a cushy and quiet ride. The car magazines value a different trait but it doesn't make it a conspiracy theory against the world's largest auto manufacturer. It simply highlights what the majority of car driving enthusiasts value the most and isn't because Honda paid off the auto mags or there is a Honda bias. It is because Honda builds cars that enthusiasts drivers prefer from a driving dynamics perspective than does Toyota. Not necessarily a better car but it gets better reviews generally speaking.

The M3 is a better balanced car for the track... it just is. The C63 is, IMO, a better car for the street and closer to the M3 now on the track than it has ever been. The editors of car magazines put more emphasis on track/back road performance and driving dynamics than some and it is reflected in their scoring. It does NOT mean the car is better for everyone or for every purpose because it isn't. It also doesn't mean there is a conspiracy theory in C&D magazine... don't forget that most, if not all, magazines and car reviews have favoured the M3 since day one and I can assure you there is no industry wide conspiracy going on So, if you truly believe in the conspiracy theory or magazine bias then you need to include almost EVERY publication out there because I don't believe the M3 has lost a comparison test anywhere of note (there might have been one or two). Jeremy Clarkson owned a C63 but even he proclaims the M3 as the car to beat. Boy, the industry is messed up favouring BMW isn't it? It is just a huge, industry wide, BMW bias/conspiracy without justification!! (sarcasm added)

Last edited by gthal; 12-04-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
I unsubscribed from them a year or two ago. EVO is where it's at.
Didn't EVO also put the M3 higher in their recent comparison test? Conspiracy!! Bias!! I'm calling the industry out on their BMW bias. No car publication can be trusted
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Multani
even before reading the results...i knew bmw won...cause car and driver get on their knees for bmw.
As do almost all car publications... especially when the M3 is the car being considered. It is an industry wide conspiracy and has no basis in reality.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM

2010 CL550 loaded
I remember my M3 conv. First year with SMG tranny.
That couldn't beat a Yugo in a comparison test . 2nd worst car I ever owned.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by PGT
Z06 is a terrible daily driver. hell, a stock vette is
Why buy a sports car as a daily driver?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by propain
Why buy a sports car as a daily driver?
Because I don't have enough discipline to drive my daily driver when I have a sports car!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by derek
Because I don't have enough discipline to drive my daily driver when I have a sports car!
hahaha.. I hear you. Do my commute with the other animals on the road and you would change your mind quick.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by propain
hahaha.. I hear you. Do my commute with the other animals on the road and you would change your mind quick.
yeah, well now I have my daily driving/track sports car in a matte finish...ugh, argh, fuggit! got the microfibers and the simple green in the trunk! I think my new sig is going to be "I HATE RAIN."
Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Their comment on a steering wheel wouldn't impact the result of a comparison test. Their decision to ignore a BMW weighing more than its competition is because BMW does a better job of hiding the weight through suspension and chassis tweaks so it isn't felt when driving than the competition.

I understand why people sometimes think this bias exists but it isn't just C&D... most magazines appear to have a BMW bias. There is no way that this is money based or because BMW bought the magazines off... it isn't a conspiracy but many like to think so when their favourite car isn't a BMW.

BMW's, especially the M3 but all of their cars, are really built for driving feel. I think that BMW has just done a great job of building cars that appeal to driving enthusiasts. They aren't "better" necessarily in every way but they are great cars to drive and that is reflected in magazine opinions. I read somewhere that car magazine editors choose BMWs for their own personal cars more than any other. BMW is not giving away cars to these editors to influence opinion, it's the other way around... they actually LIKE the cars more and therefore buy them.

It is human nature to find something "wrong" with anothers opinion when it disagrees with our own... simply check this forum and all others for evidence of this. The conspiracy theory, IMO, is a function of this. Those who like Audi or MB cannot fathom how car magazines (most if not all of them) can continually like BMW product over there own car and, therefore, there is a bias or a conspiracy. What is silly about this argument is that BMW is NOT the largest auto company or contributor to magazines... VW/Audi would be a bigger company and likely spend as much or more on advertising as would GM, etc... but people still think that BMW somehow influences the reviews moreso than other manufacturers. If I wanted to generate ad dollars, I would cater to Toyota, the VW group, GM, etc.

I will say that having owned 3 BMWs (of the 21 cars I have owned in my life) that they ARE great driving cars and as good or better than anything else I have driven. The bias you see in magazines is because BMW builds cars that appeals to driving enthusiasts which the editors are. The perceived bias is because BMW does a better job of building a car that you can take to work everyday and then to the track every weekend than almost anyone. There are "better" cars for DD use and better cars for the track but there are few, if any, cars that do both better. The M3 is likely one of the best dual purpose car made today regardless of price and this is why it wins comparos. The C63 is, IMO, a better car for the street but guys who review these cars put a high level of emphasis on track performance in addition to street performance. BMW wins because they do a better job of blending driving experience, street ability and track ability than anyone.

But, like the review said, the C63 coupe is effectively on par now and is a MUCH faster car... that, IMO, makes it a much better street car and for 95% of us this is the more important characteristic. MB has also seemed to come a LONG way in the handling department and if they could just get the car on a diet then I think it would begin to dominate the M3 in reviews.

So, when people call "bias" and "conspiracy" then I call BS as that is just sour grapes because someone doesn't like the car they bought as much as another. That hurts our pride and calls out our own decision process so we naturally then defend our opinion by calling bias, pointing out flaws in the reviews, etc. C&D and most every other car publication like the M3 better because it is the class leader for chassis balance, handling, feel, etc. I challenge anyone to drive one at the track and disagree. However, for many of us, that may not be the more important factor and therefore it may not be the better car. It so happens that driving enthusiasts (which include magazine editors) put a greater emphasis on this area of performance than many others. As an example, how many times has Toyota not won a comparison test with the Camry because another car handled better or had better driving dynamics? BUT, the Camry outsells almost anything else because the consumer likes a cushy and quiet ride. The car magazines value a different trait but it doesn't make it a conspiracy theory against the world's largest auto manufacturer. It simply highlights what the majority of car driving enthusiasts value the most and isn't because Honda paid off the auto mags or there is a Honda bias. It is because Honda builds cars that enthusiasts drivers prefer from a driving dynamics perspective than does Toyota. Not necessarily a better car but it gets better reviews generally speaking.

The M3 is a better balanced car for the track... it just is. The C63 is, IMO, a better car for the street and closer to the M3 now on the track than it has ever been. The editors of car magazines put more emphasis on track/back road performance and driving dynamics than some and it is reflected in their scoring. It does NOT mean the car is better for everyone or for every purpose because it isn't. It also doesn't mean there is a conspiracy theory in C&D magazine... don't forget that most, if not all, magazines and car reviews have favoured the M3 since day one and I can assure you there is no industry wide conspiracy going on So, if you truly believe in the conspiracy theory or magazine bias then you need to include almost EVERY publication out there because I don't believe the M3 has lost a comparison test anywhere of note (there might have been one or two). Jeremy Clarkson owned a C63 but even he proclaims the M3 as the car to beat. Boy, the industry is messed up favouring BMW isn't it? It is just a huge, industry wide, BMW bias/conspiracy without justification!! (sarcasm added)
About as well said as can be stated. The only caveat I have is that when a car has been the standard for soooo long, it is hard to not develop some sort of bias. So when C&D compared the GT-R, the M3, and a few other "near super cars" (I can't remember which), they picked the M3 the winner again. They picked it on subjective criteria, not objective. For example, I believe the M3 was outperformed in every category, yet the M3 was picked because it was easier to slide the back end out, and that it took more skill to drive the car fast. In my opinion, that is biasing, because they are subjectively weighting the scoring towards the car they prefer to drive. At least it appeared that way. I do agree though that the M3 is the most balanced car in our category. I love my C63. If MB wanted to win an M3 DD/track comparo, they would lighten the car and equip it with beefier tires to help manage the torque. They have designed the car for DD sports car enthusiasts, not track enthusiasts. If they wanted to, they could do both while staying at the current price point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: 2012 BMW M3 vs 2012 C63 AMG