Print Wikipost

Won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Won't start

I was getting ready to head to work this morning and I go into the garage and I click the unlock button on the key fob and nothing. Tried it again and nothing. I figured my fob battery may have died so I retrieved my 2nd key fob and tried that one and nothing either. At that point I figured my battery drained overnight (how? I don't know since I am 99.99% positive nothing was left on). So I tried jump starting it with my pickup truck and as soon as I hooked up the cables the alarm system starts going off. Wailing siren and mirror lights were blinking on and off so i figured that if there was enough juice in the battery to flash those lights that bright, there must have been enough to at least unlock the doors but nothing. I tried removing the battery to go get it tested but as soon as I removed the terminal, the alarm went off again and wouldn't turn off with the key fob. Only way I could get it to turn off is to reconnect the battery and let it cycle through a few times. WTF? How am I supposed to remove the battery to get it tested/replaced if the alarm is going to be going off as soon as I remove the battery (neighbors wouldn't be too happy with all the noise). Plus I'm sure the local parts store won't have a replacement for it so Im stuck having to go to the MB dealer 50 miles away. Any ideas of what might be going on? I seriously don't think its the battery but have any you experienced anything similar adn turned out it was the battery?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
did you use the valet key to open the doors? then try to use the key to start the engine? maybe it would reset the key?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Have you forgotten about the key blade that is integrated into tht key fob. You could have used that to unlock your doors, the alarm would have triggered, then insert your key fob into the ignition slot. You can have your battery tested without pulling in out of the car at any autozone, pep boys or advance auto parts.

Last edited by Yuille36; 01-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
I went out to the car this morning, unlocked the doors with the fob, closed the door and put the key in the ignition. Turned it all the way to the right and nothing. No radio, no start. Pulled it out, tried it again- same result. I thought perhaps there's something wrong with the fob so I pulled out the spare and tried it with the same results. I know there wasnt anything in the car left on overnight that could have drained the battery and the dash displays the mileage and it's standard menu. But the radio (pop up display) never opens or turns on. I ended up hitching a ride with someone to work today. But I can hardly wait for the alarm to start going off today when I try and jump start it. The only thing I can think is that for some strange reason the battery died overnight.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I have a good feeling its the steering column issue.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I had the exact same problem as you.. however my car had been sitting for 5 days at an airport parking lot.

I to made sure I had nothing left turned on before I departed (have had problems forgetting to turn off lights in the past on other vehicles, so I make it a procedure now to check everything is off).

Couple of things I noted.. most new cars have a protection circuit to prevent the battery from draining to the point you cannot start it it (usually should be enough to get 1 or 2 good cranks to start the car)... Does the C63 have this, and if so.. why did it fail.

I called the parking lot emergency phone and they sent a pickup... a V6 (I did mention that I had a V8), connected the jumpers, same deal as you, alarm went off, fob still would not open the door, lights turned on very dimly...

I used the key to manually open to the door, tried to start the car.. nothing, not even a click... tried this a couple of times every 5 or so minutes.. nothing, after about 15 min, the car almost tried to turn over.. after 30 minutes attached to the pickup, the pickup driver floored his gas and held his engine at redline, I turned the key.. and the car barely turned over, it struggled, and I managed to get the car started....

I believe that the pickups electrical and battery did not produce enough juice for our cars to start via a normal jump start...

This happened to me once in August (I had just returned from DEFCON in Vegas), has not happened since... I'm curious what caused it..
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I have a good feeling its the steering column issue.
Someone in my office that has the same car, a year older, asked me first thing this morning "did you jiggle the steering wheel?". I thought to myself, it's locked.... isn't it? Guess that's an additional thing to try when I get home tonight.

But can you reference another post about the steering column issue that you mentioned? Not sure that I've heard much about that one.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
I had the exact same problem as you.. however my car had been sitting for 5 days at an airport parking lot.

I to made sure I had nothing left turned on before I departed (have had problems forgetting to turn off lights in the past on other vehicles, so I make it a procedure now to check everything is off).

Couple of things I noted.. most new cars have a protection circuit to prevent the battery from draining to the point you cannot start it it (usually should be enough to get 1 or 2 good cranks to start the car)... Does the C63 have this, and if so.. why did it fail.

I called the parking lot emergency phone and they sent a pickup... a V6 (I did mention that I had a V8), connected the jumpers, same deal as you, alarm went off, fob still would not open the door, lights turned on very dimly...

I used the key to manually open to the door, tried to start the car.. nothing, not even a click... tried this a couple of times every 5 or so minutes.. nothing, after about 15 min, the car almost tried to turn over.. after 30 minutes attached to the pickup, the pickup driver floored his gas and held his engine at redline, I turned the key.. and the car barely turned over, it struggled, and I managed to get the car started....

I believe that the pickups electrical and battery did not produce enough juice for our cars to start via a normal jump start...
oh fantastic.. the second car at my house is a Honda Civic Si... I cant imagine that its going to produce nearly enough power to get my car to turn over. Strangely I drove home from work and errands last night. The car was only off for about 10 hours.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

General rule of thumb.. a similar sized engine (with similar sized battery and alternator) are what you want to use to jump start a car. This is not always 100% the case, but a good rule of thumb.

Specifically when it comes to batteries, they way they work and how electrons move (getting slightly nerdy/geeky now), 2 different size batteries connected to each other will try to equalize (when there is no load, ie a light bulb, or an engine..etc), essentially splitting the power evenly across both batteries, unless the battery has fault protection built in. The larger battery trying to shuffle a charge into a smaller battery that is no longer capable of accepting a charge can result in bad things happening (from as simple as messing the battery up, to potential explosions).

This is one reason why you never connect battery to battery, rather 1 of the negative terminals should be connected to a ground lug somewhere in the vehicles engine bay).
Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Car is still dead. I did open the doors with the mechanical key placed the fob key in the ignition to try to "reset" it but still nothing. The car is in my garage and doesn't start so obviously I can't drive to Autozone to get it checked without removing the battery. The alarm still goes off as soon as I try to disconnect the battery and won't turn off unless i reconnect the battery. I'd hate to call MB to have them come tow it 50 miles and then turn out it is indeed the battery (which isn't covered under warranty or is it?) and be stuck with a $300 towing bill hence why I would like to take the battery to get checked first. Anyone know how to disconnect the battery without having the alarm activate or how to turn it off once it does?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have 2 batteries.. disconnect them both. I am not sure what the consequences would be, call MB first to check.

There is one in the Engine bay, and one in the trunk, passenger side behind a flap cover.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
You have 2 batteries.. disconnect them both. I am not sure what the consequences would be, call MB first to check.

There is one in the Engine bay, and one in the trunk, passenger side behind a flap cover.
true for the C300 4matic as well? or just the C63?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by EROD
Car is still dead. I did open the doors with the mechanical key placed the fob key in the ignition to try to "reset" it but still nothing. The car is in my garage and doesn't start so obviously I can't drive to Autozone to get it checked without removing the battery. The alarm still goes off as soon as I try to disconnect the battery and won't turn off unless i reconnect the battery. I'd hate to call MB to have them come tow it 50 miles and then turn out it is indeed the battery (which isn't covered under warranty or is it?) and be stuck with a $300 towing bill hence why I would like to take the battery to get checked first. Anyone know how to disconnect the battery without having the alarm activate or how to turn it off once it does?
I believe you have MB Roadside Assistance for the life of your car. You should give them a call.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hottwax0ne
true for the C300 4matic as well? or just the C63?
Not sure about the 300...

btw... were you at the Impact day I was at??
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Someone in my office that has the same car, a year older, asked me first thing this morning "did you jiggle the steering wheel?". I thought to myself, it's locked.... isn't it? Guess that's an additional thing to try when I get home tonight.

But can you reference another post about the steering column issue that you mentioned? Not sure that I've heard much about that one.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...preciated.html

Last edited by _AMG_; 01-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM
hdg

ML 350
If you are in the uSA you have Life time Roadside Asst. with FREE Sign and Drive services which include free jump start, tire changing and bringing you a few gal of gas should you run out. Have them come out, jump start you and drive to the dealer, especially if you are under warranty

good luck
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
went home last night, tried to jump it with the second car. No dice. I on a whim called MB Roadside and they sent a guy out in minutes to jump start me (free). Which I was completely surprised about. Unfortunately the guy recognized almost immediately when I got in the car that the issue was not related to needing a jump. He called for a flatbed truck to tow it to the dealership (also free), sent me up to the local MB dealership to pick up a loaner (free?!) and now I await the phone call with the quote on repair.

I did get a call saying that the car was checked in this morning and that I'd hear from them today about how much the repair would cost, and what was wrong. But the service writer pretty much eluded that he thought it was the ignition/steering issues as well. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
Not sure about the 300...

btw... were you at the Impact day I was at??
Jvanbrecht- not sure what that is or when, so I'm guessing no.

MD area?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jvanbrecht- not sure what that is or when, so I'm guessing no.

MD area?
Yes, was in MD.. the Deloitte corporate mandated community service thing we have to do every year in June... but I am guessing you would have remember since we discussed the C63 abit during, so I may have the wrong person in mind (she is a forum member as well and has a C300, just cannot remember what her forum name was)
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM

2008 C300 4 Matic Sport
twasn't me. Just relocated to MD in late August for a Pharmaceutical company.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah well.. nice to meet you then... Although I would not advertise you work for a pharma company... we have lots of crazies around here
Old 01-15-2015, 07:33 PM

2009 mercedes r350
Unhappy i can't start my vehicle, Help

Originally Posted by EROD
I was getting ready to head to work this morning and I go into the garage and I click the unlock button on the key fob and nothing. Tried it again and nothing. I figured my fob battery may have died so I retrieved my 2nd key fob and tried that one and nothing either. At that point I figured my battery drained overnight (how? I don't know since I am 99.99% positive nothing was left on). So I tried jump starting it with my pickup truck and as soon as I hooked up the cables the alarm system starts going off. Wailing siren and mirror lights were blinking on and off so i figured that if there was enough juice in the battery to flash those lights that bright, there must have been enough to at least unlock the doors but nothing. I tried removing the battery to go get it tested but as soon as I removed the terminal, the alarm went off again and wouldn't turn off with the key fob. Only way I could get it to turn off is to reconnect the battery and let it cycle through a few times. WTF? How am I supposed to remove the battery to get it tested/replaced if the alarm is going to be going off as soon as I remove the battery (neighbors wouldn't be too happy with all the noise). Plus I'm sure the local parts store won't have a replacement for it so Im stuck having to go to the MB dealer 50 miles away. Any ideas of what might be going on? I seriously don't think its the battery but have any you experienced anything similar adn turned out it was the battery?

Had the same experience and doesn't start. What should I do?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
It's the steering issue or ignition issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:44 AM

bmw
You can have your battery tested without pulling in out of the car at any autozone, pep boys or advance auto parts.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by ogaiyingh
You can have your battery tested without pulling in out of the car at any autozone, pep boys or advance auto parts.
Not if you can't drive the car