Sponsored by:

help with negotiating for price..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
help with negotiating for price..

i've posted a bit here asking for advise, questions, inquiry on my search for this 'elusive' c63. i did 3 test drives already (2008, 09 and 10).. for each test drives i would sit down and talk to the sales guy and tell them my intent. I don't have a trade in but i do have a pre-approved loan from my local bank.. i do have a certain limit and don't want to stretch too far out.

for these 3 visits, ALL sales guy (and then manager) tells me they can't discount the price any more.. one actually did discount it $500 less.

e.g. if the car is priced $49,995 they would always show that 'this car was previously priced as 51,500 or 53,995, etc. this is discounted already.

each of the cars have been sitting in the lot for more than a month. i offer $47k (based on that 49,995). is that fair? or am i asking too much (discount)? on my previous purchases (new cars), dealer shows me the invoice price, and we negotiate from there (i guess buying 3 cars from the same dealership, same sales guy helps).
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
going to need more info here.

what prices and specs and mileage are on the 3 cars you tried as they are all so very different

for example. say a 50k price... this is considered high on a 08 (unless is is pretty much spanking new..) but will be considered a steal on a '10. I would not be suprised the dealer can not move anymore on a '10 but for the '08 under normal use and mileage and decently loaded... you could definitely move it lower.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Yeah, man. You need to outline the specs, mileage, etc. of each car you're considering. The info above is too vague to come up with accurate estimates on pricing targets.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
For once the AMG C class seem to be holding their resale value better. Perhaps the impending end of the 6.3 motor on the horizon is helping. The right options on these cars make a world of difference in resale. Leather, Navi/multi media are a must. P31 is a huge plus (P30 not as much). I know there was lots of trunk money at the end of the 2009MY but it hasn't shown up in the resale market as the used MY08 and MY10 bracket the pricing. The lowest you should expect on a properly optioned CPO car at a dealer for an 08 is mid 40's. 09s will be closer to high 40's with the 10s usually still just breaking over 50k. This assumes about 12K a year in milage. Also expand your search to dealer out of your area. Alway talk to the internet sales manager as he has a vested interested in pulling sales from outside the dealer's trade area.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-06-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 AM

06 CTT-S
08 - non-CPO (from a non-MB dealer) with 38.5k miles priced at $41,991 (P2, Leather and MM), clean car fax (1-owner), silver/black. broken plastic front grills (bottom bumper) and scratches on the side/bottom of the bumper, the left portion of the front bumper is a bit mis-aligned probably due to whatever it have hit that caused the plastic grill to break. noticeable wear on the interior (scratches, etc). manager don't want to drop the price. Have just seen this lately 1.5 weeks in the lot (was a trade-in). sales guy was nice - visit was brief. offered $38k (but now seeing the 09, i will not take this with all the things i mentioned here - plus i have to get my mechanic to take a look at this car).

09 - non-CPO (non-MB dealer) with 39k miles @ $49,995, clean car fax 2-owner, black/black (P2, leather, MM and it seems to have the P30 as the MSRP they've listed was at $74k - not sure how to check this just by looking - no alcantara on the steering wheel, no CF trim). very, very clean exterior/interior. manager's final price is 49,500 (close to $500). sitting on the lot for more than 3 months. both sales guy and manager were nice fellas trying to get my business. big plus. offered $47k.

10 - CPO (MB dealer) with 25k miles priced at 49,995, silver/black (P2, leather but no MM package - sales guy keep on telling me I do not need the MM package as all phones now have NAV so what's the point - well, i told him it's important to me). not as clean as the interior of that 09, too much creases on both driver and passenger bolsters, scratches on some areas. manager don't want to drop the price. been sitting on the lot for 65 days as per their record (the sales guy showed me). this car was later transferred to another MB dealer now priced at $54,995. offered $47k.

*I might try to check the 09 CPO priced at $48,990 at another city (Austin) later this weekend 28.5k miles black/black. P2, MM, leather package. seems nice on the pics. Do i even want to ask for the final price? been approved by my bank and by that MB dealer already for their 1.99% APR program (66 months) so i'm not just going there for a joy ride but with the intent of purchasing.

*wanted to get this car in the next 1-2 weeks. if this doesn't happen, then my next car hunting will assume on august, sept, oct - hoping that the prices on the 09-10 would significantly drop (or would it?).

Last edited by Paculdo; 06-06-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 AM

06 CTT-S
to add (on remaining warranty) for the cars:
08 - no warranty
09 - based on carfax,have about 15 more months remaining on the original manufacturers warranty.
10 - well, it's a CPO.
on the other 09 in Austin, its a CPO.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 AM

06 CTT-S
to add (on remaining warranty) for the cars:
08 - no warranty
09 - based on carfax,have about 15 more months remaining on the original manufacturers warranty.
10 - well, it's a CPO.
on the other 09 in Austin, its a CPO.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Personally, I'd choose the 2nd car. You have all of the packages, and 15 months still on the warranty. However, for that price, you could get an equivalent car with half the mileage. So I'd negotiate down to $45k+. $50k is too much for that car, IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
*I might try to check the 09 CPO priced at $48,990 at another city (Austin) later this weekend 28.5k miles black/black. P2, MM, leather package. seems nice on the pics. Do i even want to ask for the final price? been approved by my bank and by that MB dealer already for their 1.99% APR program (66 months) so i'm not just going there for a joy ride but with the intent of purchasing.

I'd focus on this one. Asking price is at good starting point. It has all the right options. Ask for the build sheet before you start your negotiations. You should be able to knock a grand or two off. Do it all on the phone and have them confirm the price in writing. Ask for the internet sales manager, he has a vested interest in pulling people from outside the dealer's normal trade area. Tell them they have to make it worth you making the trip. Since the car is CPO seriously consider the additional extended warranty. There is a head bolt problem and a lifter problem that crops up on some of these 156 engines at about 40k miles and it's really expensive to fix out of warranty. They are tough on pricing the extended warranty but you should be able to shave about $500 off the price of that too. The sale person cannot negotiate this with you, you have to talk to the 'finance guy" that tries to sell you everything add on under the sun.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM

2002 C32 (gone), 2009 C63 K1
You can also check Carmax for some comparable numbers to help negotiations. I just sold my 2009 black/black MM p30 to them and I think they've priced it right.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 AM

06 CTT-S
the dealer for the 09 was calling me - haven't called them back yet.
i saw a newly listed c63 at carmax (local) at $48,995 with 15k miles (P2, MM and leather package).. seems a good deal until the MB dealer at an out of state dealer emailed me and said that they agree on the price (09 with P2, MM, leather, P30, CF trim, alcantara on the steering wheels) - selling it now for $47,500 and this is CPO. my concern is that i haven't seen the car in person but this is CPO so atleast there is a peace of mind there if any problem comes up. Only other thing is that I would need to have the car shipped. They recommended a few companies that does shipping for them but said i better look around to get the best deal. Anybody have suggestions for this? I still haven't locked the deal on this.. if all goes well (hopefully the car is still there tomorrow), then this might be the car!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
the dealer for the 09 was calling me - haven't called them back yet.
i saw a newly listed c63 at carmax (local) at $48,995 with 15k miles (P2, MM and leather package).. seems a good deal until the MB dealer at an out of state dealer emailed me and said that they agree on the price (09 with P2, MM, leather, P30, CF trim, alcantara on the steering wheels) - selling it now for $47,500 and this is CPO. my concern is that i haven't seen the car in person but this is CPO so atleast there is a peace of mind there if any problem comes up. Only other thing is that I would need to have the car shipped. They recommended a few companies that does shipping for them but said i better look around to get the best deal. Anybody have suggestions for this? I still haven't locked the deal on this.. if all goes well (hopefully the car is still there tomorrow), then this might be the car!
Sounds like a good deal. If you're happy with the price, send them a refundable credit card deposit, find a cheap flight and go see the car so you have no buyer's remorse. The cost of shipping it will be less then the airline ticket and you get to have a nice long drive home. CPO cars tend to be extremely clean and in excellent condition. If you decide to ship it, be prepaired to wait a few weeks, make sure it's in an enclosed trailer and put on the upper rack.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 AM

06 CTT-S
thanks duane.. unfortunately, it's 2,000+ miles away from me.. i wish it's a bit closer so i can do that (fly in and drive it back home).. if all goes well today then this should be a closed deal at least by this week.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Might be a fun roadtrip. You could make it in 2 days. I flew to Phoenix to pick up my car and drove almost 800 miles to bring it back home.

In any case, if you're going to have it shipped, try to find the most reputable company you can. It may be more expensive than others, but you don't want to fool around with this sort of thing. How much would a flight be to go check it out? Maybe there should be a provisional clause for visual inspection you could write into the sales contract.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Data point

So, not to hijack the thread, but as an additional data point:

Today I picked up a 2009 CPO, with 47700 Mi for $44K (no tax/lic) with 2 year extended CPO warranty (7Yr., 135K Miles). P02, Navi/Harmon K/Steel Grey.

I feel happy with the deal, but never know if there was more left on the table to negotiate.

Now to sell my 2003 C32 I didn't trade in -- they only wanted to give me $12K.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
thanks duane.. unfortunately, it's 2,000+ miles away from me.. i wish it's a bit closer so i can do that (fly in and drive it back home).. if all goes well today then this should be a closed deal at least by this week.

2,000 miles sound like a cannonball run. Might be a bit much unless you have some company (either someone with another hot car or a hot lady sitting next to you). If you ship it, make sure the dealer has the transport company complete a car condition manifest and get a copy. The dealer is not going to give you a conditional acceptance on a car they are shipping. So in your mind once you've paid for it, you own it. Best of luck. It sounds like a great car and you'll have lots of fun with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM

volvo
The info above is too vague to come up with accurate estimates on pricing targets.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SegrestEllenl
The info above is too vague to come up with accurate estimates on pricing targets.
Quote fail?