Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 as a Collector Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
If the engine was a more tunable then I can see it potentially being a more sought after car in the future. As I see it, a lot of sought after cars are because their engines can be modded every which way; much like the EVOs, pre-R35 GTRs, and supras.

Collectible? Not a chance. Simply because there's nothing 'special' about the C63. Sure it's got huge displacement, but that's about it. Not like the AMG Hammer. That car I can see as a collectible because it was the first of its kind and blew everything else out of the water back in its era.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Seriously, none of these cars are going to appreciate in value. Best we can hope for is that they stay desirable enough that depreciation doesn't kill us, and that strong demand from the secondary market allows for quick sales.

I have reservations about the collectability of just about any modern car. What are they going to collect in 20 years. . . groundbreaking cars like the first gen prius, or the rare Chevy Volt? lol.

That said I think the SLR market has bottomed in price and is starting to appreciate and the SLS woln't have many years untill it does the same.
The following users liked this post:
Sincity (09-21-2019)
Old 03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 893 Likes on 627 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by callmiro
The 507 is the end of the line parts dump, to help blow-out the last of the shells. I don't think it can be held in the same regard as a BS.

507's are readily available and the equivalent of a P30 package, just different options at a different point in the lifecycle

Just sayin....
I know it isn't a great measure so don't blast that, but on cars.com right now there are 3 CBS' for sale and 1 507. Obviously the CBS costs more, however, that car has been run for years as opposed to a single year that the 507 ran. I wouldn't say the only reason for the 507 is to just be a "parts dump" either. At the end of the day, there is still a particular uniqueness a 507 has to offer. IF (and thats a big IF) the C63 becomes a collector I'm sure a BS will be sought after but I still don't think you should exclude a car that has a 1 year build window.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Originally Posted by rediesel
That said I think the SLR market has bottomed in price and is starting to appreciate and the SLS woln't have many years untill it does the same.
I really need the SLS to bottom a few more years please. Then it can start its appreciation after I can ****** one up at a good price.

Right now I plan to keep my C63 for a long time so I don't really care about if others want to collect it or not. I don't know how anyone can let it sit and not drive it. I want to drive mine all the time. I make up excuses to "have to" drive it.

Last edited by PkB2014; 03-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I know it isn't a great measure so don't blast that, but on cars.com right now there are 3 CBS' for sale and 1 507. Obviously the CBS costs more, however, that car has been run for years as opposed to a single year that the 507 ran. I wouldn't say the only reason for the 507 is to just be a "parts dump" either. At the end of the day, there is still a particular uniqueness a 507 has to offer. IF (and thats a big IF) the C63 becomes a collector I'm sure a BS will be sought after but I still don't think you should exclude a car that has a 1 year build window.

I'm not blasting it....but i also don't see anything special/collectable about an option package that only gives you 25 more hp and a hood and wheels...the build window was 6 years...the options and packages changed almost every other year
Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
The 507 is the end of the line parts dump, to help blow-out the last of the shells. I don't think it can be held in the same regard as a BS.

507's are readily available and the equivalent of a P30 package, just different options at a different point in the lifecycle

Just sayin....
+1
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I'm not blasting it....but i also don't see anything special/collectable about an option package that only gives you 25 more hp and a hood and wheels...the build window was 6 years...the options and packages changed almost every other year
+2
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 893 Likes on 627 Posts
E63S | X5
I'm no expert or anything on collector cars, but there has to be some type of car out there that is considered collectible based on options it was given for a year? At least you would think so?

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. It really isn't THAT special at least for now. After all, a 7-8k option on these cars isn't out of the ordinary.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I agree that a pristine, unmolested C63 BS could fall into the category of future collectible because it has all the most desirable performacen traits with the rarity of a special edition that is mere fraction in terms of numbers produced vs the regualr C63. Its also fortunate to be a W204 which is by far the best bodyshape before AMG rolled over and decided to make all the cars look the same ie CLA/CLS body lines. On this front then i am **** out of luck as i have modded the bejsus out of mine! oh well, guess i better drive it into the ground!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
If its a car that you thoroughly enjoy owning, its worth a lot to you. Something is only valued at a price when you decide to sell. Like a vintage baseball card. It's not worth anything if you have it in a frame on your wall your whole life. If the time comes to sell (or buy), the price will be determined at that time point.

Is it a sought after car? We wont really know until then. Keep yours in good condition, then sell in 20 years and we shall see...

I for one bought it to keep it. I'm not worried about its "value" money-wise. I enjoy the thrill of ownership, driving it, and how it looks just sitting there waiting to be started and redlined...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
If its a car that you thoroughly enjoy owning, its worth a lot to you. Something is only valued at a price when you decide to sell. Like a vintage baseball card. It's not worth anything if you have it in a frame on your wall your whole life. If the time comes to sell (or buy), the price will be determined at that time point.

Is it a sought after car? We wont really know until then. Keep yours in good condition, then sell in 20 years and we shall see...

I for one bought it to keep it. I'm not worried about its "value" money-wise. I enjoy the thrill of ownership, driving it, and how it looks just sitting there waiting to be started and redlined...
to your moms!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
What happens if you can buy a C63BS for 10% of its value in 10 years... I just bought my E55 101k wholesale 8k with every option but pano & auto trunk (100k optioned car). You guys have to remember PEOPLE who buy these cars DRIVE UP the price not if its a BS,507,BASE or whatever options you want to throw in the mix. So you're trying to guess what the people of the future think will hold value (good luck).

Let me just ask all of your C63 owners. Are YOU WILLING to pay OVER MSRP for a pristine C63 in 10 years?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Wow, so much animosity between C63/P31/507/and CBS on this thread. With all the cars that are out there today it is nearly impossible to determine a collector's car. I do not see the C63 being desired universally enough to become one. 20 years from now, the person who is willing to shell out big bucks for a C63, is most likely already on this forum (my guess is jrcart), somebody who loves it now and will want one back.

The M3 and RS4/5 drivers of today won't want a C63 20-25 years from now. They'd want an M3 or RS4/5. I love my 507 and the different bits that came with it, but some stripes, 19in wheels, and a vented hood do not make a collectors car. The BS has the best chance, after that any prices would be more about the condition of the car, not the package.

Just my .02. I will keep mine for a while, but in 4 to 7 years, if I want something else, I won't be bothered with the slim slim chance it would ever be a collectible.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM

C63 AMG Edition 1
I bought one of only 100 edition 1 they brought into the states. Though I would love to see it rise in value...I just enjoy driving it too much. Hopefully I can get what I paid for it when I sell it...if not..It will still be an awesome ride.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Whether it becomes collectible or not.....

Almost every car goes through an age where it is not old enough to be cool, its just old.
My dad once sold a 68 Chevelle SS with a 396 and a 4 speed for $800 cos thats what it was worth then, and for the next several years. Anybody want to buy a 1997 Trans Am? Nope, didn't think so. Give it 20 or 30 years and the answer may well be different.

As my pops said:
Hang on to most anything for a while and it becomes worthless.
Keep hanging on to it for long enough, and it becomes priceless.

This is a great car, but when its 17 years old, Ill be driving something else and not this antiquated box. Cos thats what it will be. Just look at the 97 TA. Its 17 years old.
Admittedly, it was a crap box to start with but you get my point.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
And I would also like to point out that anyone who owns a 450 hp car, probably isn't that good at standing around and waiting. Im not.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 188 Posts
C63 AMG
A lot of valid points, I agree with the majority on here who say the car most likely will not appreciate. However, I do believe clean ones will retain some decent value in the future.

Like all who have mentioned I agree the CBS is probably the only one worth keeping if you are looking for future collectibles.

One thing I believe in firmly, the C63 has earned a certain street credibility. It does have an allure that many enthusiasts cannot deny.
The following users liked this post:
1Solo1 (01-27-2019)
Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
no way c63 will be a collector car. way too many car built. Even the sls will have a hard time being a collector car over 10k cars globally. All the black series will always be collectibles even now there depreciation isnt anywhere close to a typical benz. Look at the production numbers of the the regular 65 cars most are 200/yr in usa and they've all tanked. you can grab an 06 s65 in the 25k$ (which attracts many 2/3/4th owners that can afford to maintain them properly). I can see the c 63 hit around 20k$ and not really going anywhere from there like most of the other amg that are somewhat current. Now 20yrs down the road will a clean and well cared for c63 be worth more than 20k$? ya probably to the right person anything is possible. Will it ever get anywhere near or above the window sticker price? that'll never happen.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 AM

2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Unless you have a C63BS. DD it, enjoy it and when you are ready sell it / trade it.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
You know when the c63 will be a collector car? When my kid is old it enough to already have his own kids and house and cars and wants one like he remembers his old man driving when he was a pup.
Look at Burn'em-Rape'em Auction. All the guys there that drove the Hemi stuff into the stratosphere and made 67.8.9 Camaros worth more than 55.6.7 Chevys are of the age where they remember those from when they were old enough to drool on em, and too young to do anything but dream of having one. Now they have the ways and means, and they are buying a dream, a memory, and the car comes with it.

So I tell ya what. My eight year old LOVES my car. Draws it for projects at school, tells his buddys all about. First guy to send me $500 now, gets first dibs on selling my kid a car when he's older. Think of it as an investment. Hes pretty much a lock to spend too much money on one. He gets one and is happy, you drive it til you cash it in for big bucks, and I recoup about 0.000001% of what that kid has cost me. Everybody wins! Yaaaaayyy!!!

PM me as to how to send funds

Last edited by 604 C63; 03-14-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
no way c63 will be a collector car. way too many car built. Even the sls will have a hard time being a collector car over 10k cars globally. All the black series will always be collectibles even now there depreciation isnt anywhere close to a typical benz. Look at the production numbers of the the regular 65 cars most are 200/yr in usa and they've all tanked. you can grab an 06 s65 in the 25k$ (which attracts many 2/3/4th owners that can afford to maintain them properly). I can see the c 63 hit around 20k$ and not really going anywhere from there like most of the other amg that are somewhat current. Now 20yrs down the road will a clean and well cared for c63 be worth more than 20k$? ya probably to the right person anything is possible. Will it ever get anywhere near or above the window sticker price? that'll never happen.
When I saw prices on an 06 S65 with 30k miles (28-37k) I nearly shat myself. What was the MSRP on a fully loaded one? $220k+ almost a 1/4MM.

Originally Posted by 604 C63
You know when the c63 will be a collector car? When my kid is old it enough to already have his own kids and house and cars and wants one like he remembers his old man driving when he was a pup.
Look at Burn'em-Rape'em Auction. All the guys there that drove the Hemi stuff into the stratosphere and made 67.8.9 Camaros worth more than 55.6.7 Chevys are of the age where they remember those from when they were old enough to drool on em, and too young to do anything but dream of having one. Now they have the ways and means, and they are buying a dream, a memory, and the car comes with it.

So I tell ya what. My eight year old LOVES my car. Draws it for projects at school, tells his buddys all about. First guy to send me $500 now, gets first dibs on selling my kid a car when he's older. Think of it as an investment. Hes pretty much a lock to spend too much money on one. He gets one and is happy, you drive it til you cash it in for big bucks, and I recoup about 0.000001% of what that kid has cost me. Everybody wins! Yaaaaayyy!!!

PM me as to how to send funds
Again ask yourself will you over pay for that car. Collectors raise the value of these 'collector' cars, for nostalgia. We can't predict what everyone will want or miss. I don't see any MBZ production car right now that will hold its value, and unless you're hiding a 10k mile E55 amg in the garage right now I doubt its going to rise in value.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
Collectible out of rarity and value vs simply collectible for novelty or coolness sake are two different things that people often mix and confuse. Some people enjoy collecting stamps or seashells, which unless they get more rare and higher in demand vs supply the asking price would remain nominal compared to other like items in that same field. Some people may think any 20 year old car is not worth more than $10k but because there are some followers or enthusiasts that like a particular car, the price is still affected by supply and demand.

ultimately, if someone is to keep the car for 20-30 years although it is nice to see you own a car worth more than what you paid, you probably won't care so much otherwise if you kept looking at its value you probably would sell it because you need the money more for something else. In short, if you are worried about the value of the car in 20-30 years, you probably won't hold it that long because you probably would need the money for something else before you get to the point it stops appreciating, which technically because of inflation, will never happen.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is whether you own an original Porsche speedster, enzo, f40, c63, etc. you can be certain as supply and demand dictates pricing, eventually the price will go up, but you shouldn't buy those solely for the intent of trying to sell it higher at a later date because if money is your one concern in buying these cars, you probably will never hold it long enough to cash out at the top.

Last edited by ruey220; 03-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ruey220
Collectible out of rarity and value vs simply collectible for novelty or coolness sake are two different things that people often mix and confuse. Some people enjoy collecting stamps or seashells, which unless they get more rare and higher in demand vs supply the asking price would remain nominal compared to other like items in that same field. Some people may think any 20 year old car is not worth more than $10k but because there are some followers or enthusiasts that like a particular car, the price is still affected by supply and demand.

ultimately, if someone is to keep the car for 20-30 years although it is nice to see you own a car worth more than what you paid, you probably won't care so much otherwise if you kept looking at its value you probably would sell it because you need the money more for something else. In short, if you are worried about the value of the car in 20-30 years, you probably won't hold it that long because you probably would need the money for something else before you get to the point it stops appreciating, which technically because of inflation, will never happen.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is whether you own an original Porsche speedster, enzo, f40, c63, etc. you can be certain as supply and demand dictates pricing, eventually the price will go up, but you shouldn't buy those solely for the intent of trying to sell it higher at a later date because if money is your one concern in buying these cars, you probably will never hold it long enough to cash out at the top.
I think the issue that prevents us from thinking straight is the fact that we see the enzo jump in price soo much. 3x what it was MSRP +/- colors (crazy). i just saw CNC post up a Black ENZO the other week 1.9MM.

When people see these types of vehicle appreciate value so much we start to think any old '507' is going to rise up 3x its value. You said it perfectly with supply/demand which is why some of these older 'american muscle' cars are so valuable. THEY'RE RARE IN A CLEAN FORM. Enzo is rare because they only made 399 (plus 4 or 5 whatever lie they say) and you couldn't just BUY ONE from your dealer you were chosen. BARRIER of entry is another big reason they jumped up soo high.

Like I said before the only car I can see right now that will rise up in value soon is an E55 AMG. One of the only cars people really want for multiple reasons.

I am not saying a C63 couldn't rise up in value but a clean C63 is not as hot as a clean E46 M3 which still holds a high premium for a low mileage car. My opinion but I would still like to hear what you guys have to say.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 188 Posts
C63 AMG
Hind Sight is always 100%. To be blunt, we can all weigh in on this. No one can tell what will happen 20 years down the road from now.

If you are one of the fortunate ones who have the means to keep and maintain a car like the C63 for long term (20+ years) chances are you are not keeping it with hopes of high resale value. Believe me 20 years worth of memories with a vehicle is worth a lot more then just a few bucks.

That being said, I'm surprised no one really mentioned that the M156 is the pinnacle of AMG divisions commercial Naturally aspirated motors. It truly is the last of the Big breed V8's, Some may also argue (Myself included) that the C63 actually is a better everyday road car compared to the M3. This coming from a guy that had every intention to purchase an E90 M3 before I sat in the seat of a C63.

Isnt it funny - the E90 M3 is already touted as a future classic. I can tell you they sold a heck of a lot more E9X M3's then they did C63's. I guess at this point supply / demand doesn't necessarily play a big factor in gauging what future classics would be!

That being said, I have a very strong feeling the W204 C63 will be one of the all time great engines / cars from AMG Division. Keep your car clean Im sure you will be beating up on the M Fanboys for years down the road.

Originally Posted by biggking
I think the issue that prevents us from thinking straight is the fact that we see the enzo jump in price soo much. 3x what it was MSRP +/- colors (crazy). i just saw CNC post up a Black ENZO the other week 1.9MM.

When people see these types of vehicle appreciate value so much we start to think any old '507' is going to rise up 3x its value. You said it perfectly with supply/demand which is why some of these older 'american muscle' cars are so valuable. THEY'RE RARE IN A CLEAN FORM. Enzo is rare because they only made 399 (plus 4 or 5 whatever lie they say) and you couldn't just BUY ONE from your dealer you were chosen. BARRIER of entry is another big reason they jumped up soo high.

Like I said before the only car I can see right now that will rise up in value soon is an E55 AMG. One of the only cars people really want for multiple reasons.

I am not saying a C63 couldn't rise up in value but a clean C63 is not as hot as a clean E46 M3 which still holds a high premium for a low mileage car. My opinion but I would still like to hear what you guys have to say.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee
You guys are all nuts for even trying to predict this. People are fools. Look at the Iphones that sell for insane premiums all because they have that flappy birds game installed.

I agree that a big contributor would likely be "The car my dad had and I thought was awesome as a kid". Gotta wait 30 years to reap the benefit though. I dont know that I could EVER keep a car that long. To find a clean one in 30 years might be tough and low miles even tougher. Now you know what you all need to do to drive the future value of your car up. Get to work in the bedrooms boys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 as a Collector Car?