C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Hel with backup cam on 2012 c63 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Hel with backup cam on 2012 c63 amg

Hi everyone thanks for looking. So this is the thing that I'm running into. 1st mines doesn't come with backup cam. 2 I'm not that smart so please help. So this is what I got so far. Kenwood 310 or something like that. But I've been hearing that some people are running the cam from the arm rest or center console where u place your arm. But I see that I have a iphone plug and an audio plug. How is this done? And what Input should I leave the backup camera on? Please get back to me on this? Or do I have to take the unit out to run the fraka cable? I don't even know what a fraka cable is. Yeah I'm pretty smart!!! Lol please help please because my installer told me to buy the Nav tv kit for like 700-749 bucks with tax it's like 809 or so.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
I could sell you a kit to install the factory camera in your car for less then any of these aftermarket solutions...

Uses 100% all Mercedes oem parts.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by andrew c230k
I could sell you a kit to install the factory camera in your car for less then any of these aftermarket solutions...

Hi thanks for the info. What would the kit include and how it it done? Please get back to me on this thanks again.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech

Lol, how much for the camera?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM

W204 C63 R171
The camera is $999 at the dealer here in canada, I can get used like new tested and working cameras for $200

There are 2 wiring harnesses you need and a voltage modulator as well.

I can put together a retrofit package with instructions on how the installation needs to be done to have it factory installed I have done it myself and I can provide invaluable knowledge on how its to be done when the dealer says its not possible for cars that where not already fitted with a factory installed camera
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The camera is $999 at the dealer here in canada, I can get used like new tested and working cameras for $200

I can put together a retrofit package with instructions on how the installation needs to be done to have it factory installed I have done it myself and I can provide invaluable knowledge on how its to be done when the dealer says its not possible for cars that where not already fitted with a factory installed camera
Is it the OEM camera? I may be interested but some say the quality of the OEM is not as good as an aftermarket camera?
I got the harnesses already.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM

C63 AMG

How much is this kit that you are selling? Thanks! If I get eveything but want to install another camera instead of the oem is there a way I can wire the other camera? Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 PM

W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by lapd1989
How much is this kit that you are selling? Thanks! If I get eveything but want to install another camera instead of the oem is there a way I can wire the other camera? Thanks
No... why would you go thru all the work of oem and then fitting another camera you'd be better off with aftermarket all the way its much easier to install as well.

Later on tonight I will figure out how much it would all cost.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM

W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by abcut973
Is it the OEM camera? I may be interested but some say the quality of the OEM is not as good as an aftermarket camera?
I got the harnesses already.
Yes the camera is oem its A204 parts number, I can take some shots of my camera if there is a specific senario you want to see...

I used both aftermarket and oem I prefer to do everything oem... thats just the way I am.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes the camera is oem its A204 parts number, I can take some shots of my camera if there is a specific senario you want to see...

I used both aftermarket and oem I prefer to do everything oem... thats just the way I am.
i like OEM as well. I would appreciate any pics
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM

C63 AMG
No... why would you go thru all the work of oem and then fitting another camera you'd be better off with aftermarket all the way its much easier to install as well.

Later on tonight I will figure out how much it would all cost.
I would like to use everything else but another camera instead. I like having the voltage regulator that I why I want to use the oem harness. But is there a way you can connect a kenwood 310 to the oem harness to the voltage regulator and then to the hu?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM

W204 C63 R171
I would like to use everything else but another camera instead. I like having the voltage regulator that I why I want to use the oem harness. But is there a way you can connect a kenwood 310 to the oem harness to the voltage regulator and then to the hu?
Generally speaking this is how the aftermarket camera works...

Install the camera in the trunk run the power wire and trigger wire to the rear tail light. Run the rca cable to the front of the car and connect to command using a farka to rca adapter.

The oem system is a bit more complicated it involves removing the majority of the rear of the car to run the wiring inside. You add a new spot on the rear trunk fuse box, tap into the rear tail light to trigger the camera install the voltage regulator run the wiring to that, the camera and radio. It's a half day to a day job if you never done it before.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 PM

C63 AMG

Install the camera in the trunk run the power wire and trigger wire to the rear tail light. Run the rca cable to the front of the car and connect to command using a farka to rca adapter.

The oem system is a bit more complicated it involves removing the majority of the rear of the car to run the wiring inside. You add a new spot on the rear trunk fuse box, tap into the rear tail light to trigger the camera install the voltage regulator run the wiring to that, the camera and radio. It's a half day to a day job if you never done it before.
Wow that's a bit harsh! A lot or work to me. So run the power and trigger wire to taillight or reverse light? Some people say it better just to hVe it on when the car is on. This is my first install so any good info is good! Thanks again
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

C63 AMG

Can I run it to the center console with the aux port to do the camera?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM

W204 C63 R171
Can I run it to the center console with the aux port to do the camera?
I have no idea that is not the proper way to do it. Needs to go the farka at the back of the command so when you put it in reverse the command switches to camera mode
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM

W204 C63 R171
here are some pics of the install

Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM

C63 AMG
I have no idea that is not the proper way to do it. Needs to go the farka at the back of the command so when you put it in reverse the command switches to camera mode
For the wiring. Is there a best way to do it? Power and trigger to reverse light??? Or power to acc to stay on all the time?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
For the wiring. Is there a best way to do it? Power and trigger to reverse light??? Or power to acc to stay on all the time?
Why would you power it to the ACC to be on at all times? Just tap it into the reverse light. The only time you should need the camera is when you're in reverse. If you're so technically inept, there are wireless camera options out there.

In terms of quality between aftermarket and OEM. I installed a kenwood aftermarket camera on my previous 09 w204 and the picture quality of the kenwood aftermarket camera is definitely better than OEM. I took apart my trunk and door sills and routed the cables through the passenger side of the car.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Why would you power it to the ACC to be on at all times? Just tap it into the reverse light. The only time you should need the camera is when you're in reverse. If you're so technically inept, there are wireless camera options out there.

In terms of quality between aftermarket and OEM. I installed a kenwood aftermarket camera on my previous 09 w204 and the picture quality of the kenwood aftermarket camera is definitely better than OEM. I took apart my trunk and door sills and routed the cables through the passenger side of the car.
Thank you so much for your input. Do you still have an idea of the wires In the back that I can tap into and what color it is? And for the kenwood I agree with you on that. The picture itself is way better. Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you so much for your input. Do you still have an idea of the wires In the back that I can tap into and what color it is? And for the kenwood I agree with you on that. The picture itself is way better. Thanks
I don't remember the specifics as it was done 4 years ago. You can reference to this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pictures.html

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 AM

C63 AMG

Ok thanks. After reading most of the link you sent me. Everyone seems to be tapping the camera to be on all the time. And they are saying that the back light or reverse light is a bad idea and not a good feed to the camera. Don't know if that apply to all if us. But most of the guys in the link say that.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok thanks. After reading most of the link you sent me. Everyone seems to be tapping the camera to be on all the time. And they are saying that the back light or reverse light is a bad idea and not a good feed to the camera. Don't know if that apply to all if us. But most of the guys in the link say that.
There is an original thread in the w204 forums and everyone on that thread tapped it to the reverse light. I tapped it to the reverse light, because I didn't want the camera to be on at all times. It'll drain the battery when it's not needed. I never had any issues with tapping the power source through the reverse light.

My advice to you is to take your time on your install and you'll be fine. It's not as hard as it looks.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM

C63 AMG
There is an original thread in the w204 forums and everyone on that thread tapped it to the reverse light. I tapped it to the reverse light, because I didn't want the camera to be on at all times. It'll drain the battery when it's not needed. I never had any issues with tapping the power source through the reverse light.

My advice to you is to take your time on your install and you'll be fine. It's not as hard as it looks.
Thank you so much jeff. I would like to ask you one more thing. On the 2012 model there a fakra that run to the glove compartment. Is there a way we can connect to that with out taking the HU out?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM

C63 AMG

I have the new command unit and it has 2 fraka green connectors, 1 with 1 input and the other 1 has 2 input. The 2 input is to small for the fraka cable that I got from midcity. The other one fit nicely. I just got around doing it today. I wire up eveything from the command to the middle of the car and hopefully get the rest done by 2morrow or so if not the end of the week. But can u find out about the 2 fakra cable for me please. I have look but can't find anything.