C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Import US car to Canada? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
Import US car to Canada? Help

Hey guys, looking to get a little car for winter like a VW R32. I see so many nice r32's posted on forums and ebay but don't know how the hell I can bring one over to canada. Does anyone know how to do that and what are the different laws? Like can there be any mods on the car? Please help. thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Overspooled
Hey guys, looking to get a little car for winter like a VW R32. I see so many nice r32's posted on forums and ebay but don't know how the hell I can bring one over to canada. Does anyone know how to do that and what are the different laws? Like can there be any mods on the car? Please help. thanks
Call my buddy Mike at http://www.vehicle-direct.ca
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
It's an intimidating process for a first timer. If you don't want the hassles, find an importer like VaclavSV suggested.

If you want to save a few bucks and DIY, here's the step by step I wrote up for my friends. This is specific to the Sweetgrass/Coutts border in Alberta, you'll have to figure out the relevant fax # for the border crossing that you will be using.

BEFORE GOING WE NEED
- Fax Worksheet, front and back of title (back of title should have our names on it for title transfer) to Sweetgrass MT US border. 72 hrs. Fax # 406-432-5528
- Insurance on the car

PICKING UP CAR WE NEED
- Bill of Sale

DRIVING THE CAR AFTER PICKUP WE NEED
- In-Transit Permit from DMV for driving around in the US.

So here’s the process when we get to the border.

US SIDE
- Go to the US office for exports, give them the original worksheet and original title.
- They’ll take it and give u a exported stamp on the original title (proof of export).
- Drive to Canada office

CANADA SIDE
- Fill out Form 1. They will give u a copy to keep in your car at all times until registered.
- Present Bill of Sale
- Pay $195 + GST
- Pay 6.1% duty on car
- Pay $100 A/C Tax
- Pay 5% GST
- You can pay all of that with CC.

AFTER BORDER
- Drive to nearest DMV (Lethbridge?) and get a in-transit pass for Canada. Not really necessary, but some ******* cops might give you **** for not being registered.
- Show Form 1, they will give you Out of Province (OOP) form
- Get OOP done, register car (you can register your car before Canadian Tire crap)
- Send Recall Letter to RIV
- Receive Form 2 from RIV in mail. Form 2 tells you what you need to do to get it Canadian complaint.
- Get the stuff done, keep receipts.
- Go to Canadian Tire to get inspection. They will look at form 2 and ask for receipts (most places don’t even check) to ensure all the work is done.
- RIV will send you a stupid sticker to show compliance. Stick it in the door (over a rock chip or something lol!)
Export worksheet: http://www.ucanimport.com/docs/CBPGe...tWorksheet.pdf

Find your own port of export here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/mt/3310.xml

Look for the fax number which is shown here for Sweetgrass:
Special Instructions: Vehicle Exports, please go www.cbp.gov Click on the EXPORT link and then outbound vehicle exports - Whitlash, MT. Fax number for vehicle exports is (406) 432-5528
Note that not all borders allows vehicle exports, so make sure you find one that does it.

Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Originally Posted by rage2
It's an intimidating process for a first timer. If you don't want the hassles, find an importer like VaclavSV suggested.

If you want to save a few bucks and DIY, here's the step by step I wrote up for my friends. This is specific to the Sweetgrass/Coutts border in Alberta, you'll have to figure out the relevant fax # for the border crossing that you will be using.

Export worksheet: http://www.ucanimport.com/docs/CBPGe...tWorksheet.pdf

Find your own port of export here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/mt/3310.xml

Look for the fax number which is shown here for Sweetgrass:

Note that not all borders allows vehicle exports, so make sure you find one that does it.

Enjoy!
good write up, perhaps my clk bs can go there via this route!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
[QUOTE=rage2;5753007]It's an intimidating process for a first timer. If you don't want the hassles, find an importer like VaclavSV suggested.

Very helpful write up. Thank you for doing this...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
I imported my '71 Camaro a couple of months back. It's easier with an older car, as you dont have to do the whole recall letter thing or change the cluster (if its MPH).

But i still had the forward the VIN 48 hours before to the US boarder prior to showing up so that they could check if it's stolen or has leins.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by ecampbell
good write up, perhaps my clk bs can go there via this route!
The CLK BS won't be allowed through the RIV program.

You can either wait till 2023 to hit 15 years, or figure out a way to do the temporary import workaround. Form 1 section 16 handles the cases. I went through the work permit route to get the CLK BS registered in Alberta.

Or you can do what all the illegal supercars such as the MC-12 in Calgary does. Drive it up here on US plates. It's a PITA, some border agents will force you to pay GST/Duty as a bond which you get back when you drive back to the US. You can legally keep the car here for 6 months in a calendar year on US plates as a visitor.

Originally Posted by callmiro
I imported my '71 Camaro a couple of months back. It's easier with an older car, as you dont have to do the whole recall letter thing or change the cluster (if its MPH).

But i still had the forward the VIN 48 hours before to the US boarder prior to showing up so that they could check if it's stolen or has leins.
Yea, it's the same process crossing the border with a 15 y/o car. You still do Form 1, you just fill out Section 16 instead of 17. Section 16 (f) is the only way I could figure out to import in a CLK BS.

Last edited by rage2; 08-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
Do you know any specific information about importing a C63 from US to Canada?
The procedure (rage2's post) is the same for all cars that are allowed to be imported into Canada, but has anyone imported successfully a C63 to Canada?

Do they require for example a cluster change to KM/H?