C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Is it possible ECU tune will be found by dealer when diagnosing transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
Is it possible ECU tune will be found by dealer when diagnosing transmission?

Transmission on my 2011 is acting up, have to have it checked but want to check with the community first and see if anyone has had their ECU tune found by the dealer during warranteed work that could involve ECU, like the tranny?

Help guys!! I dont want my warranty voided!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
What is wrong with your tranny?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Karl901
What is wrong with your tranny?
His Tranny has a *****!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Your dealership has no incentive to troubleshoot your ecu, if you're going in for transmission work. If they find an issue with your transmission, they will at most reflash your ecu with any updates. Most likely they will just repair/replace the issue at hand. It's easier for them to just to reflash your ecu than to review the lines of codes for issues.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:03 AM

C6 Z06, 997 C2S
hopefully your tranny isn't acting up because of the newfound power from the tune
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by simplicity
Transmission on my 2011 is acting up, have to have it checked but want to check with the community first and see if anyone has had their ECU tune found by the dealer during warranteed work that could involve ECU, like the tranny?

Help guys!! I dont want my warranty voided!
yes, they can found ECU tune and void any warranty right away, I will say 50-50 chance, if something is wrong with your transmission they can go deeper looking to skip any high value warranty work
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM

C
Karl901 it is shifting very rough.

csexty3 it has had tune on it since new and never had any issues until recently. it's above average miles too.

I read Jeff's response and felt btter then I read Wally's response and got scared again

Wally I know they can, I think I'm trying to figure out what their general procedure is in a case like this. Will they download ecu and search it?

Also, doesn't dealer get paid when they do warranty work? What's in it for them to deny warranty work?

what to do what to do...

Do you guys think I should get a handheld reflasher and reflash ecu to stock first? If there are major tranny issues it must be costly out of pocket
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Honestly, your not going to know until it goes in, at that point it is too late if they find it.
If I had to guess, I would say they will in fact find it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Can an ind shop perform warranty work?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
It really depends on your dealer.
You are correct that dealers get paid to do warranty work so they have no real benefit to deny a claim but if it is something major, they sometimes have to get an MB rep to look at the car and approve the warranty claim.
If they are mod friendly, they will diagnose the issue first and let you know what is wrong with it and not tag your car in the system.
Hopefully you know your service advisor well and he can help you.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
AFAIK MB warranty work has to be performed by an MB dealership.

And they do get paid for warranty work performed, but it is much less money than a non-warranty repair.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM

09 C63
Originally Posted by wally AMG
yes, they can found ECU tune and void any warranty right away, I will say 50-50 chance, if something is wrong with your transmission they can go deeper looking to skip any high value warranty work
MB flagged my car for aftermarket wheels, tried to deny a TPS sensor claim based on this, i argued a TPS issue was not related to the wheel and they covered it in the end but it does seem they note any mods and you may not know until you try to claim under warranty.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Just tip your sa
Old 11-09-2013, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
just so ya'll know the ecu tuning has a large affect on the transmission. especially the wetclutch cars. if your adaptations are over 1% out - even though it doesnt throw a code until 5% it will causing shifting issues. If its a vacuum leak no harm but the tune can really cause problems if its not right.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Yep - put a 50 with a thank you note in the ash tray. Done.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
I have found that MB dealers enjoy tuned cars. They have fix things many times for me under warranty that they could have been disallowed. But when I know it is obvious that it was caused by a tune, mod, track, or my stupity. I either do not ask, or take it back to the tuner.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Pay to play fellas
Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM

C
Guys, I personally don't think it is tuning. My tune is very conservative as far as tunes go, I have never heard anyone with this tune throwing cel. It isn't pushing any more power than the 507 or the DR520. Far as I know the tune doesn't reach the tranny, that part behaves exactly the same.

That said I must deal with this issue before it gets any worse...

Last edited by simplicity; 11-11-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM

C
So I guess my options:

1- Take it in as is and give sa 100$ --- which may or may not work right?

2- Reflash to stock --- which will cost more.

Does anyone know which tuners is providing those handheld flashing machines?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM

C63 Coupe
Eurocharged
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Let me get this straight: you decided that you want to put an aftermarket tune on your car in spite of MB's warnings that you shouldn't f**k with your ECU and all the information that exists on the subject of tuning and potential reliability issues. Now that you've experienced a problem in a part that is directly affected by your aftermarket tune, you want MB to pick up the tab for the repairs?

I would almost understand if you were trying to get your tuner to cover the cost of the repairs (presumably because they told you that the tune was 100% safe or the disclaimer was printed in microscopically fine print in white ink on white paper), but trying to sneak one past MB as a warranty issue is simple cheating. And, some of you then have the audacity to turn around and call them "stealerships" because they need to change extra money from the rest of us that don't f**k with our motors in order to cover their costs because of people like you.

This talk about bribing your SA and what not is outright disgusting. If you decide that you know better what is OK and what isn't for your car than MB, then you and you alone are responsible for the consequences of your actions. How is it someone else's fault that the transmission failed because of your own stupidity? You put an unapproved tune on your car, and you need to pay for whatever that tune may have broken or damaged. Not only is it not anyone else's responsibility to fix it, but by being a cheat you then cost everyone else more. If you don't want your warranty voided, don't put on a tune. Man up and don't be a sleaze because what you're really asking here is how to screw someone over no matter which way you twist it. Period.

</rant>
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM

C63 Coupe
Just take it in and don't mention anything about the tune. If they feel there is a problem that might of been caused by a tune, they will let you know and at that point be honest with them. It may have zero to do with the tune and they may well fix it.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Thor2j
Just take it in and don't mention anything about the tune. If they feel there is a problem that might of been caused by a tune, they will let you know and at that point be honest with them. It may have zero to do with the tune and they may well fix it.
This.

MB is not Audi and they don't look for excuses just so they can void your warranty. Having said that, if they do determine that the defect is a result of your tune, then man up and pony up for the repairs yourself.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
X3 - There is really no risk to you. I just had a friend go to the dealer as he had a transmission issue as well. His car is more than tuned.
The car needs a new diff and it is being covered under warranty. Not all dealers are stealers. Tipping the SA for this reason is not real smart. However getting to know him/her and the AMG tech is and thinking of them at Xmas time goes a long way.
For example, I get them to give me advice or spend time on on after market stuff I do for my car.

Originally Posted by Diabolis
This.

MB is not Audi and they don't look for excuses just so they can void your warranty. Having said that, if they do determine that the defect is a result of your tune, then man up and pony up for the repairs yourself.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM

C
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Let me get this straight: you decided that you want to put an aftermarket tune on your car in spite of MB's warnings that you shouldn't f**k with your ECU and all the information that exists on the subject of tuning and potential reliability issues. Now that you've experienced a problem in a part that is directly affected by your aftermarket tune, you want MB to pick up the tab for the repairs?

I would almost understand if you were trying to get your tuner to cover the cost of the repairs (presumably because they told you that the tune was 100% safe or the disclaimer was printed in microscopically fine print in white ink on white paper), but trying to sneak one past MB as a warranty issue is simple cheating. And, some of you then have the audacity to turn around and call them "stealerships" because they need to change extra money from the rest of us that don't f**k with our motors in order to cover their costs because of people like you.

This talk about bribing your SA and what not is outright disgusting. If you decide that you know better what is OK and what isn't for your car than MB, then you and you alone are responsible for the consequences of your actions. How is it someone else's fault that the transmission failed because of your own stupidity? You put an unapproved tune on your car, and you need to pay for whatever that tune may have broken or damaged. Not only is it not anyone else's responsibility to fix it, but by being a cheat you then cost everyone else more. If you don't want your warranty voided, don't put on a tune. Man up and don't be a sleaze because what you're really asking here is how to screw someone over no matter which way you twist it. Period.

</rant>
What are you talking about. It's an ECU tune, and doesn't touch the TCU. It makes the same power as the DR520 or 507 ed. So I guess all those cars should have tranny problems as well, as should all the other Classes that never had the M156 detuned in the first place. You fail at logic. Are you on your period or something? All that because I didn't pay the MB tax for "upgrades" (which sounds like you were, and now have some regrets about it...) is retarded. Take your emotional nonsense elsewhere, find yourself a life, and start thinking for yourself a little bit instead of just taking what you're offered

Anyway thanks to all the helpful people. Already in process of putting it back to stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it possible ECU tune will be found by dealer when diagnosing transmission?