Sprint booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Sprint booster

As above has anyone used a sprint booster??
Any benefits?? I have been searching around and they say they work on the older c63 with the 7g transmission
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Why you go and do a thing like that...
Too much has been discussed already. The effect is an enhancement in the response of throttle by wire. It may improve the activation of the throttle in a manner that is not physically possible no matter how hard and quick you push on the accelerator, which means it makes the throttle very sensitive to your foot; however, when you actually want to drive sporty and effectively "floor it", it provides no benefit as the system is maxed out with or without SB. I just don't see how it has anything to do with the transmission type.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Brad, Sprint Booster just means you don't need to put your foot down as hard to get 100% throttle.

It would be the same thing as flooring the accelerator.

0 difference in power.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
We put this in the E92 M3, and yes there was a difference in the response, and "feel" of how the power comes on, but in general is was useless.

Actually took it out a couple of days ago, coz its not a big difference.

Also, when i was talking to OE Tune, Jeremy said that, after a tune, he eliminates the need for sprint boost, as the tune adjusts the throttle response anyway from factory.

Dont waste your money. If the M3 one works on the C63, happy to lend it to you to trial it, see if you like it.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Thanks for your responses guys

I just seen this and didn't know what it was
Thanks for your input guys
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mr747
Thanks for your responses guys

I just seen this and didn't know what it was
Thanks for your input guys
I like it!

I had it in my 545i, 550i now in my current E60 M5 and also in the current C63.

Both the M5 and the C63 are tuned and even after the tune it makes a throttle response/feel difference.

And no, it is not the same as putting your foot deeper in the gas pedal. Why? Because these pedals are drive-by-wire; your foot deeper in the gas will not change/fool the signal feed into your TB as that way you may think...the dead/flat pedal spot still there and does not go away. The SB eliminates that dead/flat feeling all together.

Don't believe me, borrow one, then use it on Red mode, then Green and then no mode (stock) - while doing so, try pressing the gas pedal at various deepness/pressure and see for yourself. You will not be able to duplicate the same response feel while stock vs. Green or vs. Red mode no matter how you mash it. Granted, once you got WOT, then it is what it is.

Hope this helps
Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HardC63
I like it!

Both the M5 and the C63 are tuned and even after the tune it makes a throttle response/feel difference.

And no, it is not the same as putting your foot deeper in the gas pedal. Why? Because these pedals are drive-by-wire; your foot deeper in the gas will not change/fool the signal feed into your TB as that way you may think...the dead/flat pedal spot still there and does not go away. The SB eliminates that dead/flat feeling all together.

Don't believe me, borrow one, then use it on Red mode, then Green and then no mode (stock) - while doing so, try pressing the gas pedal at various deepness/pressure and see for yourself. You will not be able to duplicate the same response feel while stock vs. Green or vs. Red mode no matter how you mash it. Granted, once you got WOT, then it is what it is.

Hope this helps
While not directly disagreeing with you, I am not aware of any unbiased 0-60, 1/4 mile or dyno data showing SB improving anything. If you are, please share.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by HardC63
I like it!

Hope this helps
+1.

I believe you. I tried it and I know there is a diffrence. Especially, on roll-on street races. The Car WILL BE quicker. It will not produce anymore HP, but it WILL defenitley be quicker

Its funny to see the number of negative talks about this device. Its actually all coming from those who HAVENT tried it
Old 06-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by cyberorth
While not directly disagreeing with you, I am not aware of any unbiased 0-60, 1/4 mile or dyno data showing SB improving anything. If you are, please share.
Thats because there ARENT any comparison drag runs with/without sprint booster. Just like you said. So why are you assuming that there arent any benefits??

As I stated above. The Sprint Booster will not add any HP. Therefore, you wont see any dyno gains. It will make the car quicker though, thats for sure

Last edited by Jacob-63; 06-18-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jacob-63
Thats because there ARENT any comparison drag runs with/without sprint booster. Just like you said. So why are you assuming that there arent any benefits??

As I stated above. The Sprint Booster will not add any HP. Therefore, you wont see any dyno gains. It will make the car quicker though, thats for sure

Exactly!

The SB does not add additional air, timing, fuel or make your exahust less restrictive thus adding power. However, it does allow you to use what is already there a lot sharper and sooner.

If you were plug-in a scan/tuning tool to a car with the SB and one with out while measuring throttle position by % with ALL being equal, you'll notice by looking at the MPH via (scan tool or speedo) that the SB equipped car is traveling at a greater speed (faster).

The other benefit I've seen is, it makes the tranny shift less often (up & down) especially in stop & go traffic in situations. Even if you choose to shift manually, the tip in will be crisper and more responsive...and even more so after a tune.

Honestly, I kid you not, of all the DBW (drive by wire) cars I've owned, to me it seems that the Germans cars have the worse tip-in throttle response/feel.

Bottom line is, try it! Install it (like in 10mins - if that), then test in the red and the green modes, then lastly with no mode and see for yourself.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
As above has anyone used a sprint booster??
Any benefits?? I have been searching around and they say they work on the older c63 with the 7g transmission
We have got to be reading the same ad in the same magazine because I was thinking about that too a few weeks ago.....I may try it...I mean why not....my car does feel a bit dull on the low end as I dont do full throttle as often as I like so perhaps it oculd be an improvement for everyday driving feel vs. stock. I agree with most posts here but only way to feel it is to try it....you can buy it..if you dont like it....sell it to me....if I dont like it I can return it to you for a full refund...great deal.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
To any nay-sayers of SB, think of it like this: two exact guns; one has a normal mechanical trigger with normal sensitivity, one has a 'hair line' trigger with more sensitivity. Which one is going to fire off the bullet faster given all other parameters being the same?
*had to borrow this analogy from CoolBDPhenom*

Personally, I haven't used SB but I've heard that it really does improve daily drivability, even if it doesn't give you any gains in power.

I've also heard that combining it with a tune will change the way the C63 drives. So if you got the cash to spare just give it a try. Can't hurt much.

Just my 0.02
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
All it does it add an offset and adjust the curve for the pedal position sensor which is input into the ecu

What was 10% is now 12% or whatever

Many cars have something similar
Push the sport button and it recurves the pedal potentiometer output
Iirc my e46 and rs4 had the same bs in the guise of a sport button
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by tfthach13
To any nay-sayers of SB, think of it like this: two exact guns; one has a normal mechanical trigger with normal sensitivity, one has a 'hair line' trigger with more sensitivity. Which one is going to fire off the bullet faster given all other parameters being the same?

Personally, I haven't used SB but I've heard that it really does improve daily drivability, even if it doesn't give you any gains in power.

I've also heard that combining it with a tune will change the way the C63 drives. So if you got the cash to spare just give it a try. Can't hurt much.

Just my 0.02
Agreed
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by SROC276
We have got to be reading the same ad in the same magazine because I was thinking about that too a few weeks ago.....I may try it...I mean why not....my car does feel a bit dull on the low end as I dont do full throttle as often as I like so perhaps it oculd be an improvement for everyday driving feel vs. stock. I agree with most posts here but only way to feel it is to try it....you can buy it..if you dont like it....sell it to me....if I dont like it I can return it to you for a full refund...great deal.
i have a even better idea you buy 2 and send me one for free
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I checked for you, and tried to put the M3 one in the C63.
Different plugs. So wont work.

Look, as i said before, there was a difference in pedal feel. But IMO not worth it.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jacob-63

Thank you for

It's because if there were any benefits, SB would be all over it.
Why are we arguing different points here. SB will definitely make you FEEL the car respond faster, but you can achieve most of that same response by modulating the throttle yourself.
In a car that is constantly adjusting to your driving behavior, SB has the benefit of telling the car you want to drive sporty all the time. It isn't the SB making your car faster, it is the car learning from SB. The net result of course is favorable, but is -again- attainable without SB.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tfthach13

Just my 0.02
Just for the record, I am not a nay sayer. Just know that you get what you pay for. I'm only trying to help, especially to people that are newer to the C63 family to avoid reinventing the wheel.

And for all those late to the party, this thread I started in 2010,

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post4024853

had this great article in it that is no longer at that address, but I found it on the inter web:

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

Read and form your own opinion.

Last edited by cyberorth; 06-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
i have a even better idea you buy 2 and send me one for free
LOL....I already ordered mine today to try out....my right foot doesnt feel heavy enough that I may need a little help
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Just installed the sprint booster. Pick up is noticeably faster on sport mode and race mode very sensitive to your foot. I like it. I think if your running long tubes, it will make up for loss of low end pick up for sure. Race mode will get you there a little faster for sure. Under tranny sport mode the car is way Perkier in sport and race mode. If your dragging it won't help any bit but with spirited driving and perhaps track it would be a great addition. I think for what it does it should be priced around $150 but no more. Overall satisified with my purchase and will stay in for sure.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
^^^^^ hahahahah I'm getting one lol for the price might as well

Thanks for the review bud
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
^^^^^ hahahahah I'm getting one lol for the price might as well

Thanks for the review bud
You will enjoy it for sure! +50....lbs to your right foot
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
I had one but Jeremy OE map a few maps with more of an aggressive throttle input. Got rid of it after that m.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
It does nothing
Your foot can already depress the accelerator faster than the engine can respond
It may hurt a bit
Let's say
Oem 0-100% pedal = 0-100% throttle
Booster 0-80% pedal = 0-100% throttle
But on a curve, low slope initially steeper as you get deeper into it

What this does is reduce the throttling range (look it up, it's a control engineering term)
So it makes it more difficult to be precise and to modulate the throttle
Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
it makes it more difficult to be precise and to modulate the throttle
+1 - that describes it perfectly.

Think of it as something that turns the throttle into more of an on-off switch. If all you do is rolling starts, mash the gas and go in a straight line, it can't hurt. If you track the car or autocross, where good throttle control is critical, it is absolutely the WRONG thing to do to your car. For similar reasons (think wet roads), it is probably a much better tool for a Honda than a 500hp under-tired MBZ.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sprint booster