C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Another why is my M156 ticking thread :D With video (possible injector)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Estate
Smile Another why is my M156 ticking thread :D With video (possible injector)

Hi all,

I know it's been done to death but just wanted to pick your brains, my warranty has just run out, I'm going to get a new W205 C63 estate next year when it comes out so if I can avoid it don't want to take out another years warranty!

I have a facelift 2011 estate built in July, the new shape one, I know the earlier ones suffered from bad lifters but I've heard videos of cars with this issue and it's much more severe than mine and metal on metal. I just have more of a clicking sound, but audible when I'm driving the car say with the window open when going against a wall.

Done a small video, well the wife did , think it sounds like an injector but what do you think? The noise is more apparent towards the end of the clip, click click click

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/toby...a12d9.mp4.html

I'll admit, I put **** fuel in it constantly, not high octane just regular **** pump fuel as I'm tight. We do have Shell V Power here which is 99 octane so will start using this and see how the car adapts over time and if the noise goes, just hope it's not the lifter issue, I don't think it is, but I would say that

Cheers all,

M

Last edited by Monky; 08-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Put the proper fuel that is required for the car.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Yes, ^what he said.

If there ever was a production engine that I wouldn't put regular in, this be the one.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
You should also brush your teeth, but just like using the right gas, it has nothing to do with the ticking.

The ticking could be a lifter, but does it go away after the engine warns up? Could also be a serpentine belt pulley going bad.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM

C63 Estate
Yeah fuel is nearly dead, gonna fill her up to the brim with super unleaded

@glennhl - that is with a warm engine after driving the car for 45 minutes, I pulled up to record it. Hence I thought it sounded more like an injector noise, my friend concurs it sounds like an injector, but wanted some opinions on here
Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM

C63 Estate
Kinda more prominent from 24 seconds on, it's not overly loud, and I know what the lifters sound like with no oil as I get that noise when I leave the car for a few weeks (sounds horrible, thicker oil going in), but thought this may be an injector noises as opposed to lifter noise. Cheers!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM

C63 P31
I had the same issue when my car had to sit in the garage for a couple of months. It went away pretty promptly after an oil change filling up with 93 octane gas, and putting my foot to the ground.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Originally Posted by glennhl
You should also brush your teeth, but just like using the right gas, it has nothing to do with the ticking.

The ticking could be a lifter, but does it go away after the engine warns up? Could also be a serpentine belt pulley going bad.
Thanks for not coming off like a douche bag. Many, with your knowledge on cars, would act arrogant and provide brain dead metaphors to relate to the inferior, but you know how to put things in such a way that you don't sound like a *** sock.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Thanks for not coming off like a douche bag. Many, with your knowledge on cars, would act arrogant and provide brain dead metaphors to relate to the inferior, but you know how to put things in such a way that you don't sound like a *** sock.
I just felt bad that the OP got attacked for using regular gas. I know we should stick with the proper fuel but at today's prices I never blame anyone for going with regular.

But, by the way, I agree with your statement that of all production engines this would be the one that I'd never put anything but premium in it. Heck, I wish we had 93 here in AZ instead of 91.

Last edited by glennhl; 08-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

C63 Estate
I thought the brush your teeth thing was an insult at first lol then realised I had misread it and it was a pun

Saying this I've noticed people on Xbox seem to think English people have bad teeth, maybe because Jeremy Clarkson does, or Austin Powers did in that film, or that old Queen from the 17th century who had black teeth lol forget which one. Just to put the record straight we get free dentistry on the health service so no excuse for having bad teeth over here, I use whitener as well and floss daily

Anyway back to my engine, I've put a full tank of 99 octane in doesn't have the idle hesitation any more, also clicking went? Strange. Also put in 5w40 Motul 8100 and its super quiet now, not using Mobil 1 water spec again, let's see how my track days go will monitor oil temps to the T.

I did run out of fuel twice though, maybe I had some crud in the bottom of the tank? Will listen out for noises again, if they come back will do a fuel filter change, could be a placebo effect at the moment but did seem a **** load quieter!

T
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM

C63 Estate
@glen - yeah fuel/gas here is mental expensive hence I used the cheapo stuff, you guys do it in gallons right? Well I pay £1.29 for regular 95 per liter, and £1.38 for Super duper 98 per liter, 4.5 liters in a gallon, that makes it £5.80 per gallon for regular and £6.21 per gallon for super.

So roughly 9.65 USD per gallon & 10.33 USD per gallon respectively, what do you pay? Don't tell me actually
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by Monky
@glen - yeah fuel/gas here is mental expensive hence I used the cheapo stuff, you guys do it in gallons right? Well I pay £1.29 for regular 95 per liter, and £1.38 for Super duper 98 per liter, 4.5 liters in a gallon, that makes it £5.80 per gallon for regular and £6.21 per gallon for super.

So roughly 9.65 USD per gallon & 10.33 USD per gallon respectively, what do you pay? Don't tell me actually
Yes, we were in Germany last month and I had to do some mental gymnastics to get it from euros to dollars and then liters to gallons. But once I was done I was shocked! I think if I lived over there I'd have a small turbo diesel. But it's good to see that you are getting to enjoy some real power with the C63.

And it's good to see you fixed the clicking.